Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That's kind of how it is with cats and old age, they're okay until they're very Not Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its cats. They go 'gently caress you!' to everything then one day its 'Meh I dont care anymore'.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cats can decline scary fast.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It's an incredibly difficult position to be on. My old boy Teeko, who had been my kitty since I was about 10, went a few years ago. Before that he'd had a big scare twice, and we rushed him to the e-vet, both times they thought he wouldn't make it but did what they could - and both times he pulled through. We ended up getting a total of three more years with him, and although he got arthritis, he was otherwise a very happy and actually really healthy boy. He ate well, kept a healthy weight, never had trouble with peeing or pooping or anything. Then one night he just keeled over not breathing, and was gone within a minute. It was far from the ideal peaceful departure, but it was quick, and we had a lot of extra time with him - he lived to be 18. In his case fighting was very much the right call, I feel.

Murphy, on the other hand, had a lung condition since birth (or at least kittenhood) that wasn't a problem until he was about 5, but then it started getting severe in a hurry. He died when he was 6, and we didn't get him to the vet in time to aid with that. I still feel bad more than two years later. He was such a sweet kitty who we had rescued from the streets, he deserved more time, but he also deserved less stubbornness from us.

It's incredibly difficult to make these decisions because we always fear the opposite possibility. Did we let go to soon? Could they have had more time, maybe a good amount more? But on the other hand, did we refuse to let go when it would have been kinder? I can't tell you that what you decide will never trouble you. But you know your cat better than anyone else, and it's vague and cliched, but you just have to assess how she is doing and whether it's going to be unkind to hang on to her when her body no longer does what she needs it to do. Make your decision out of love, that's all you can do that will give you peace.

You almost certainly did not overlook her decline, though. As others are saying, cats can decline with extreme speed, and as they are often very prideful about showing pain, they'll fight through stuff without making any fuss until it reaches a tipping point.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I have a somewhat dumb newbie-cat question. I've had dogs all my life, but mine passed away last year. I'm not really ready to commit to training a new dog (and my daughter, because turns out she's a bit afraid of them), but we might be up for an adult cat at some point in the next year.

Big issue, though: my husband is pretty allergic. Is there any truth to the 'lower allergen' cats, or is that pretty much all a marketing schtick? I've found lists like https://www.petfinder.com/cats/living-with-your-cat/cats-for-allergy-sufferers/ that sound reasonable to a layman, but they also don't seem to agree.

Is there really any way to tell, or do I just have to have him put his face into a lot of cat bellies to see what happens?

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Like a lot of animals, cats are conditioned to not show signs of weakness, since that usually gets you killed right quick in the wild. That's why they can seem 'ok' for a while and quite suddenly hit the tipping point where they can't physically hide it anymore. Think of it like a stubborn grandmother that insists she's just fine living by herself. She'll put up a front of feeling fine, everything is fine, then one day she falls down at home and busts her hip. And then the relatives find out the place is a disaster, she's forgotten how to take care of herself, she hasn't been properly taking her medications, etc. Pride is certainly a strong thing.

Of course even knowing all of that it's pretty normal to do the 'oh no, is it really the end? Is it too soon?' thing versus 'Oh no, I took too long to make the decision, my poor baby suffered longer because of me' thing. Its a part of grieving. I felt the exact same way when I had to put my own kitty down earlier this year. :smith:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I'm so loving torn right now. After the vet visit, after how sure she was it was close to the end--they even told me what to do "in case she goes on her own before Wednesday"--I started to really see how she's doing. With cats as fastidious as they are, letting her fur mat up was a pretty strong indicator that she was not doing well. In this case she's still wearing a bit of sick from Friday--I can get a little of it every few minutes with a bath wipe before she decides that's enough of that--and a cat being dirty means the cat is not in great shape. I was so sure of this that I started planning to have the vet come tomorrow instead of Wednesday. I don't want to be out of town Tuesday constantly wondering if I was going to come home to a dead cat, and if she DID go, I didn't want her to go alone. So I figured at least Monday I will get the vet to my house and do an exam, get a second opinion. Then if it's time, I'll at least know a little more clearly.

But then I got home this afternoon after being out for a few hours, and changed my mind again. She wasn't perky or spry, but she purred like a motor when I pet her, and ate a few bites of chicken and drank a little water. She walks around okay and can still jump onto chairs and the bed. There are signs in both directions, but really I think I'm in denial. Sometimes I can see the light has left her eyes, and sometimes it's there and she seems better. She can't poop or clean herself, and barely eats. But I am having so much trouble just making a decision. It feels like no matter what I decide, it'll be the wrong thing.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

cailleask posted:

I have a somewhat dumb newbie-cat question. I've had dogs all my life, but mine passed away last year. I'm not really ready to commit to training a new dog (and my daughter, because turns out she's a bit afraid of them), but we might be up for an adult cat at some point in the next year.

Big issue, though: my husband is pretty allergic. Is there any truth to the 'lower allergen' cats, or is that pretty much all a marketing schtick? I've found lists like https://www.petfinder.com/cats/living-with-your-cat/cats-for-allergy-sufferers/ that sound reasonable to a layman, but they also don't seem to agree.

Is there really any way to tell, or do I just have to have him put his face into a lot of cat bellies to see what happens?
tl;dr - the latter sentence may actually be a reasonable strategy.

Cat allergy sufferer here, owner of two cats. The first cat I got, Cali, was part of a stray pair we found 12 years ago, and aggravated my allergies bad enough that she had to be kept in an external building with her brother. The second cat, Gus, is one I got a few years ago shortly after we first moved in together and their cat Jack passed away. Based on my experience with my first cat I assumed I couldn't have a cat in the house, but the other cat didn't cause flare-ups. I just assumed I had outgrown my allergies, so we got a cat together, and Gus didn't trigger my allergies either.

Lately though I had to rescue Cali from my parents, and the allergies came back. They have since improved since we gave her a much better diet and helped her with grooming for a while, loads better - but she still gives me itchy eyes on occasion, which my other cat doesn't seem to do at all.

So there are definitely differences in cats and how badly they trigger allergies, though I don't know if I'd believe the "lower allergen" marketing. We got Gus from a cat welfare society which literally had hundreds of cats under one roof, and we had a chance to interact with tons of them before we picked Gus at literally the last minute when he jumped in our laps. I'd suggest going there and trying out cats if it's just minor allergies like I have, with the understanding that good food, frequent brushing, some kind of air filtration,and regular vacuuming/cleaning will do wonders for keeping allergies under control.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I'm so loving torn right now. After the vet visit, after how sure she was it was close to the end--they even told me what to do "in case she goes on her own before Wednesday"--I started to really see how she's doing. With cats as fastidious as they are, letting her fur mat up was a pretty strong indicator that she was not doing well. In this case she's still wearing a bit of sick from Friday--I can get a little of it every few minutes with a bath wipe before she decides that's enough of that--and a cat being dirty means the cat is not in great shape. I was so sure of this that I started planning to have the vet come tomorrow instead of Wednesday. I don't want to be out of town Tuesday constantly wondering if I was going to come home to a dead cat, and if she DID go, I didn't want her to go alone. So I figured at least Monday I will get the vet to my house and do an exam, get a second opinion. Then if it's time, I'll at least know a little more clearly.

But then I got home this afternoon after being out for a few hours, and changed my mind again. She wasn't perky or spry, but she purred like a motor when I pet her, and ate a few bites of chicken and drank a little water. She walks around okay and can still jump onto chairs and the bed. There are signs in both directions, but really I think I'm in denial. Sometimes I can see the light has left her eyes, and sometimes it's there and she seems better. She can't poop or clean herself, and barely eats. But I am having so much trouble just making a decision. It feels like no matter what I decide, it'll be the wrong thing.

I'm sorry you have to go through this :( I can't give you any advice for cats, but I can give you what I went through with my childhood dog. She couldn't eat anything without throwing it up, and though she was mobile it was very agonizing to watch her move. We agonized over When, but it was much easier once we realized she had no joie de vivre, that by then she was just existing. We had already scheduled an at-home euthanizing when, the next day, she walked all the way down our (very large) hill and started crawling into the creek, presumably to die. I picked her up and carried her skin-and-bones back home, apologizing to her the whole way for putting her through this, and crying into her fur. I set her down and she crawled to the corner to sleep some more, and a few days later the people came to put her down.

The two things I wanted you to get out of that story were that 1) at-home euth services exist, which I cannot recommend highly enough, and 2) don't worry too much about it being Too Soon lest it becomes Too Late - your pet will let you know if it's time.

I'm very sorry for your loss, whenever it might happen :(

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 12, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Its because of how you are and how much you love her, love is a wonderful thing but it can cloud your judgment, because they do things that make them seem ok cause that's just how animals are.

When I had to put down my kitten Porky, the car ride to the vet was the most spry and active I had ever seen him, he was looking with that boundless curiosity that only a kitten is capable off and even got on my lap in a playful manner, but I knew exactly what he had and knew I had to make a horribly difficult choice, made harder by the events in the car.

Its not easy, it will never be easy and what comes after is far worse than what you're experiencing but it needs to be done, you have to push yourself aside and focus on your pet, I'm sorry if my words seem callous but I've lived this twice of waiting to long and years later it still haunts me, I'd rather not see someone else experiencing the same feelings.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, no part of this is going to be easy. We had to put our 8-year-old cat, Luke, to sleep after a very fast-progressing cancer diagnosis, and one of the things that haunted me for a while afterwards is if it was right to give him pain medication before the appointment, because the pain meds made him more aware of where he was, and he hated the vet so much. (We couldn't arrange for a mobile service, unfortunately, which is a major regret of mine.) I know it was better that he was in less pain, but it's always hard to feel at peace about end-of-life decisions for an animal, since they can't communicate their wishes.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Its because of how you are and how much you love her, love is a wonderful thing but it can cloud your judgment, because they do things that make them seem ok cause that's just how animals are.

When I had to put down my kitten Porky, the car ride to the vet was the most spry and active I had ever seen him, he was looking with that boundless curiosity that only a kitten is capable off and even got on my lap in a playful manner, but I knew exactly what he had and knew I had to make a horribly difficult choice, made harder by the events in the car.

Its not easy, it will never be easy and what comes after is far worse than what you're experiencing but it needs to be done, you have to push yourself aside and focus on your pet, I'm sorry if my words seem callous but I've lived this twice of waiting to long and years later it still haunts me, I'd rather not see someone else experiencing the same feelings.

Not even a little, if anything your words are helpful. I have to remind myself that the way I'm feeling is selfishness of wanting her around longer, though it feels like it's out of concern for her. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and just trust her advice when she sees her. The first vet felt so strongly that I'm assuming the second vet will concur, and I want to do what's right for her, even if it hurts. That said, I don't want to do something permanent if there's a chance she could get better. I know that's unlikely and I'm not going to "wait and see" at the expense of my cat's quality of life. I guess I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. After all, there's no turning back from it.

I'm sorry about your little Porky. It never does get easier, but I console myself by saying they'd still die even if we weren't in their lives, but while they're with us, we can keep them safe and happy.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

As I posted earlier, one of the cats I left behind at my parent's died a week ago. She was in a bad shape, got better for a few days and then deteriorated very fast and she died after a day.

When we went to visit her in the afternoon, she recognized me and tried to say hello, but couldn't. She purred a bit when I scratched her head. She later yelped in pain after getting something to drink.

I pretty much knew it was over, but since the vet said so might recover, my parents decided to go through with it. We're kinda relieved she went that evening because she's no longer in pain and we didn't have to make the tough call to put her down.

If the vet says she's dying and might not live through the week, I'd say do he humane thing and give her a dignified way out. I sure wish we did :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I'm sorry about your little Porky. It never does get easier, but I console myself by saying they'd still die even if we weren't in their lives, but while they're with us, we can keep them safe and happy.

This is actually the biggest comfort to me whenever a pet goes. We give them the best life we can, and from their perspective it must be a life approaching paradise; warmth, comfort, attention and friendship and love, never needing to worry about where the next meal is coming from or finding a safe source of water, and much as they hate the vet, there are many issues we can treat or alleviate. It's a good thing to do for a creature. :unsmith:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Thank you all for the kind words. I've had the home visit and euthanasia scheduled for today instead of Wednesday. I just don't think I could live with myself going off to Chicago for the day with no way to get back to her if she gets worse, and I can't stand the idea of her dying alone without me. I had a brief moment of doubt this morning when I found that she had gone to the bathroom overnight, but then she wouldn't eat breakfast and would only nose at her water dish, and stumbled when she tried to walk. I tried to get her to come over for pets and she walked right past me.

I think I just needed to convince myself that I was making the right decision. I'll have the vet confirm today that it's unlikely she'll get better, and once she does I'll make the choice. It sucks, but I have to do what's right for her. I'll never be able to live with myself if I let her suffer needlessly.

I think what did it was looking through old pictures of her. I have a photo of her dressed up in Christmas bells from two years ago, and she looks bright eyed, attentive, and has smooth fur. Compare that to last night's photo with bleary eyes, fur matted, and barely holding her head up. I know it sounds macabre but it cemented in my mind that she's not well and I owe it to her to give her peace.

Thanks all for being there. I'll probably come back after she's gone because I'll be a goddamn mess and will need more comfort.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

I think you're doing a brave and loving thing for your cat. I'm not ashamed to say your stories made me tear up a little, because you're struggling so hard with this awful choice, but you're doing the right thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I am so sorry. It's a terrible thing to have to do, but it sounds like it's reached the point of necessity. Just give her whatever she wants today, shower her with treats and catnip and whatever, and keep her warm and cosy. And give her a pet from me.

When it's done, do whatever you need to do. I was inconsolable after Teeko passed. It takes time. But you're doing the kind thing, and we'll be here to help you.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I made the decision. After going over her symptoms in my head for hours, and looking at old pictures of her and realizing she's not the same, after remembering her character and how her feistiness was gone, and seeing the hollow look in her eyes, and how she didn't fight me anymore when I went to pick her up...I had to. Even when she protested, she was so weak it was obvious she's not there anymore.

The vet and vet tech were so kind and compassionate. They gave me as much time as I wanted. Once they did the anesthesia, they let me hold her till she fell asleep, then when she was comfortably asleep, gave her pentobarbitol. They explained everything as it was happening so I wouldn't be alarmed, and reassured me that she could hear me say goodbye as she drifted off, and that she couldn't feel anything as they gave her the second shot.

If anyone here is in the bay area, I can't recommend Central Animal Hospital in Campbell enough. They've been her vet hospital for years, and I have always been thrilled with their service. They're so thoughtful, caring, and gentle and I would trust them ten thousand times over.

Thank you all for your support. It was a tough decision, but I think I did right by her and gave her the dignified exit she deserved. I will never forget her and will keep her in my heart always.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I made the decision. After going over her symptoms in my head for hours, and looking at old pictures of her and realizing she's not the same, after remembering her character and how her feistiness was gone, and seeing the hollow look in her eyes, and how she didn't fight me anymore when I went to pick her up...I had to. Even when she protested, she was so weak it was obvious she's not there anymore.

The vet and vet tech were so kind and compassionate. They gave me as much time as I wanted. Once they did the anesthesia, they let me hold her till she fell asleep, then when she was comfortably asleep, gave her pentobarbitol. They explained everything as it was happening so I wouldn't be alarmed, and reassured me that she could hear me say goodbye as she drifted off, and that she couldn't feel anything as they gave her the second shot.

If anyone here is in the bay area, I can't recommend Central Animal Hospital in Campbell enough. They've been her vet hospital for years, and I have always been thrilled with their service. They're so thoughtful, caring, and gentle and I would trust them ten thousand times over.

Thank you all for your support. It was a tough decision, but I think I did right by her and gave her the dignified exit she deserved. I will never forget her and will keep her in my heart always.

You did the right thing. :glomp:

Whenever it hits you the hardest, just let it out, don't EVER keep it in.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

It's never a nice decision to make, but it's never wrong to make the right call.

Take your time and remember the awesome time you had together.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Fuckkin dusty around here today or something in my eyes I think.

I might give that vet a shot. I have pet insurance on Ginny but I still haven't designated a provider for routine care.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Deviant posted:

The truest statement is that when you adopt a cat, you adopt a tragedy. All you can do is rest soundly with the notion that you did the best you could and that your cat's life was slightly brighter because you were in it, and vice versa.

From there, you have a job. Your job is to take your day, week, month, year, whatever you need to cope, and then you march your rear end down to the shelter and you do it again.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

This thread has me all misty-eyed and crying now, So of course Jackie has positioned herself in front of me purring like a motorboat like she does when she sees me upset.

Just hearing about cats dying at 8 years old and such, it makes me realize how grateful I ought to be to have *two* healthy cats, but especially Jackie who at age 10 has never had anything more serious than a Urinary Tract Infection. I consider myself *really* lucky. And Sardine is a model of health now, but I know she did have some serious surgery as a result of abuse in her early life.

I also wanted to thank everyone who had kind words/thoughts (posted or otherwise) about Jackie and recent incremental weight loss. The vet says it is legitimately a result of diet and exercise and that it could absolutely increase her lifespan, which makes me so freakin' happy.

I've recently become especially aware that I'll never have a cat like Jackie again, and I'll likely compare all future cats to her. I doubt I will have another cat who comes and jumps on my bed (wherever she is in the house) when I give a certain high-pitched whistle. I dunno if I'll have another cat I trust completely to never, ever scratch me. I doubt I'll have another cat with 26 toes, or frankly just another cat that I love as much. :( Like I love Sardine and she's been my kitty for 6 months, but it's nowhere even *close* to how attached I am to Jackie. And I am slightly embarrassed that a little furry creature means so much to me, I have to say.

Also, I don't know if I'll have another cat I communicate as well with - I actually know what her meows mean at this point! When I come home and say "JACKie, how are you??" or some such including her name, she always gives the same greeting half meow like "yeah hi" and when elongated it usually means, "yeah hi, you really need to check the food dish". Or there's the annoyance meow, the "HEY I need your attention!" meow, the whiny "why are you DOING this to me?!" meow when I clip or investigate the status of her claws, or anything similar, and so on.

I find it fascinating that all cats sort of... meow differently, and the point of the meowing is to communicate with their owners, much moreso than other cats. Cats communicate in non-verbal ways with one another (and with humans) but the meows is very much a cat-human innovation by the cats, as I understand it. They did a blind study on this, and people could recognize the meaning of their own cats meows with great accuracy, but it when it came to other cats they were essentially guessing. Fascinating.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 13, 2016

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I thought there'd never be another Simba, Best Cat Ever, and I was right and wrong. I wound up with other cats who are Differently Best. In my case it took about a day to decide that I'd put a lot of time into grieving him already while he was sick, there was zero danger of forgetting him, not having him really sucked, but not having any cats at all also really sucked. Thus, more cats, minimal delay.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

It's hard. But she is at peace now, and will never feel pain or weakness or fear again. It takes a lot to be kind when it hurts so much to do so. You will never forget her, and nobody will ever replace her.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Adequate posted:

It's hard. But she is at peace now, and will never feel pain or weakness or fear again. It takes a lot to be kind when it hurts so much to do so. You will never forget her, and nobody will ever replace her.

Yep, important to keep in mind whenever you decide to get another kitty, you are not replacing her, merely giving that boundless love you still feel to someone else.

quote:

And I am slightly embarrassed that a little furry creature means so much to me, I have to say.

Don't be.

I adopted a kitten knowing he was terminal and wouldn't last as much as any other cat, his odds where maybe a year, I gave him 2 and a half thanks to all the love I poured into the little guy and that cat meant more to me than life itself at times, so much so that when he passed I tried looking for one that looked just like him, but I couldn't bring myself to do it, I realize I wasn't adopting it for the right reasons, merely to fill that void in my heart and I know I'll never have a cat like Kami ever again.

Ultimately the decision to adopt another after Kami was taken out of hands when this little runt arrived about 2 months or so after I had to put Kami to sleep.

I believe in the spiritual so I'd like to think Kami led him to my house cause he knew I needed him, Kiwi's been with me for 3 years or so, doofy little poo poo, kind of dumb, makes a huge mess when he eats but I love him in his own special way, it taught me a valuable lesson to not be so quick to try to adopt or even replace, you have to deal with those emotions less they overwhelm you.

In the end cats grow beyond being mere animals very quickly, they become family, no different than a sibling, they just walk on 4 legs and poop in a box.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 13, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I am in an airport right now and I can hear an extremely annoyed cat in a carrier somewhere, lol

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Maggie, good on you. Another internet stranger thinks you did the right thing. I'm sorry. I've never had to make the decision you did, so I especially respect your courage. I was pretty much inconsolable the first cat I lost, even though I wasn't that cat's primary human.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

We took Cleo in a little over 2 years ago, when my girlfriend decided she'd become a cat person after always having dogs around growing up. We live in a smallish apartment, so there was no room for a dog.

Cleo was a resident in the shelter for a few months, having been brought in with a necrotic tail. When they presented her it was love at first sight, so we took her home and had a hellish weekend where the cat wouldn't let us sleep for more than 20 minutes. Guess she was too used to the communal cat room where she could play with everyone at night. She adapted and spends the nights sleeping alongside us in bed, or on top of the dresser. She gets playtime during the day and has loads of toys she goes nuts on.

Next month we're moving to a much bigger place, where there'll be room for a second cat. In the meantime we're showing people our apartment, about 15 people or so in the last 10 days. Cleo has been acting up the last few days, going back to exploring cabinets that have been here since she was. This morning she made me wake up, then casually walked on my face. Is she realizing something's up? Does she think she's going to other people because all the strangers visiting remind her of her time in the shelter? Is she just a cat doing cat things?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Cleo's probably just worked up by the business, not so much reminded of the shelter as a bit baffled by all the activity. She's impelled to check everything out when a lot of people come through, in case things have changed or someone else has tried to claim something of hers/the family's (Or has delivered a new cat!!!!), and she probably feels a bit discombobulated and wanting attention and affection in case Mommy/Daddy are thinking of not serving her every need every hour of the day.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Not really a question I guess, I'm just upset. I noticed my cat with a history of crystals straining to pee and rushed him off to the e-vet. He wasn't blocked but had crystals on his urinalysis said he was "high risk" for blockage. I opted to take him home with meds to see if he'd pee on his own. He thankfully did, but I found out the non-prescription wet food and treats we give him might have caused the crystals he's dealing with now by preventing his prescription dry food from working effectively :( I feel so terrible, I can't even get him prescription wet food until monday when my normal vet opens. I had no idea I was possibly hurting him, but it feels obvious in hindsight.

I'm hoping I can find some prescription treats he likes without too much issue, I don't think my vet stocks any.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 18, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Heya, just to confirm, Hills C/D and Royal Canin SO are meant to do the same thing right?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mister Adequate posted:

I am in an airport right now and I can hear an extremely annoyed cat in a carrier somewhere, lol

This has been Jet on more than one occasion.

As for the blood-in-poop thing, if it shows up again this week (it's on and off), he's going to the vet pronto - even if it's short notice cause I have to leave on Friday :pwn: I'd really like to know what the gently caress.

I did get him that new water fountain thing, apparently it can be caused by dehydration and it gets really dry in the winter here, so hopefully that'll help him. We'll see how it goes.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 19, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

rear end struggle posted:

Thanks for the thoughts.

I now have a decision to make. A splenectomy will buy him 12-18 more good months. At the same time, I feel like it might be a little selfish to put him through all the trauma of a major surgery and recovery just so I can spend more time with him.

I don't know. I've basically lived 75% of my conscious life with this cat, it'll be strange for him to not be around soon.

At least he's asymptomatic and happy right now.

Buried my cat today. Interestingly the mast cell cancer didn't seem to bug him, what got him was a saddle thrombus blood clot

He was such a unique cat, I don't think I can ever get a cat again because they won't be able to compare. Miss him so much.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I want to tell you all about my cat Catwad. He's six years old, and my girlfriend and I have had him for about 2 months now.

He's incredibly adorable / frustrating. Every morning, whenever he hears my alarm, he makes a mad dash to the bed to sit on my chest and stare at me when I wake up. He then starts to purr loudly and gum my fingers (I should mention that he is missing half of his teeth).
It's annoying to have a long haired cat sit on your chest and get his hair in your mouth and nostrils as soon as you wake up, but I'll be damned if I make him stop. It is the cutest thing.

That is all.

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011
Need help. My kitten still likes to climb my legs. It was cute when he was 2 pounds lighter, but now it really hurts. How can I teach him to not do it?
For now I'm trying to prevent him from doing it by blocking him with a hand, but he learned a new trick. Now he just jumps on my upper thigh and climbs the rest of the way.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Trim claws, enjoy kitten.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Pick up the kitten by the neck, blow in its face (perhaps hiss) and set it down. Or get a spray bottle and aim away from your crotch to avoid embarrassing wet spots.

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

Gorgar posted:

Trim claws, enjoy kitten.

Yeah, still working on that. It's two man job to do that at the moment and I have to wait for my mom, or someone else to help.

nimby posted:

Pick up the kitten by the neck, blow in its face (perhaps hiss) and set it down. Or get a spray bottle and aim away from your crotch to avoid embarrassing wet spots.

Trying that the next time.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Has anyone dealt with chylothorax in their cat? Ours suddenly developed it in the last week and is going through a battery of tests to find out possible causes but from the vet's description and searching it sounds pretty grim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

rear end struggle posted:

Buried my cat today. Interestingly the mast cell cancer didn't seem to bug him, what got him was a saddle thrombus blood clot

He was such a unique cat, I don't think I can ever get a cat again because they won't be able to compare. Miss him so much.

Sorry goon, too many people losing their pets lately :(