Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

prefect posted:

:confused:

It's a good podcast.

"Too loud and constantly doing live reads!"
"Non-sequitur unrelated to the movie!"
"I have no idea what is happening"

There, I just summed up every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
"British Food List" is amazing

"YA WANT A BIT OF FISH SCALE? YA WANT SOME RAG BROTH?"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The dollop ep that just came out on the Oregon bird sanctuary is amazing. Some good punning, too.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
A couple really horrible jokes but overall a really good episode.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

uPen posted:

A couple really horrible jokes but overall a really good episode.

I feel this applies to 90% of their output.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not a word about MVP FBI Negotiator Mark? He was my favorite

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Anyone have a mirror for the early few episodes Dave took down? I listened to them as a WTR fan but obviously didn't save them.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Piquai Souban posted:

Anyone have a mirror for the early few episodes Dave took down? I listened to them as a WTR fan but obviously didn't save them.

drat, I thought I had them saved in my second hard drive (I still have all the old WTRs) but no dice. Most of the links look broken online, but did find descriptions to maybe help others find stuff.

Dollop I: Mike Tyson (this one is in the WTF feed, between 143 and 144)
Dollop II: New Pope
Dollop III: Teg Nugent
Dollop IV: competitive eating

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Me and my fiancee "Otto in the Attic" and cracked up. Then we listened to "The Terror of 1741", and did not laugh, because that was depressing as gently caress. What episodes are not depressing as gently caress, and are as funny as "Otto in the Attic"?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Me and my fiancee "Otto in the Attic" and cracked up. Then we listened to "The Terror of 1741", and did not laugh, because that was depressing as gently caress. What episodes are not depressing as gently caress, and are as funny as "Otto in the Attic"?
Some good silly ones:

The Airships of 1896
The Bone Wars
Kentucky Meat Shower
Willie Dee
The Mad Gasser
Pendragon
Oofty Goofty

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
You want the Willie Dee and the Rube. Which are two separate episodes, not an awesome 80s buddy cop comedy. I wish it were an awesome 80s buddy cop comedy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The tank chase! That one's a lot of fun. And, yes, the Willie Dee, the Rube, and 172, the episode on America's Worst Lottery winner. Those are all funny, imo.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

The Rube is still the best dollop episode

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012
All of the ones mentioned so far, plus The Death of George Washington, Thomas Kinkade, and Jack loving Parson.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

A big part of The Dollop's appeal to me is telling absolutely abominable stories in a pretty palatable way - though yeah, some of them leave you despairing, no matter how funny. That said, these were memorable episodes that don't involve the darkest elements of humanity exposing themselves and getting away with it:

The Egg Nog Riot (The story of the 19th century's worst college party)
Lenny Dykstra (Insane idiot fails upward)
The Dark Secret of Swimming Pools (You will never guess the Dark Secret)
Prince Albert Visits Australia (A royal trip turns into a comedy of errors and international incidents)
John Wayne Thompson's Armageddon (A young man in the Great Plains has a bad day)
The Car Known as "The Dale" (A story where every time you think you've heard the twist...you're wrong)
More University and One Taste Incorporated (Not to be enjoyed in mixed company)
Pedestrianism (Perhaps the show's best example of how bored people must have been in the 1800's)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The episode about the undercover anti-gay squad at Norfolk is one of the best.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Bone Wars was really funny. And I love any of their takes on various secret societies like the KIan or the Bald Knobbers. Especially the Bald Knobbers, because they make fun of them so loving incessantly.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Egg Nog Riot was one of my early faves when I started listening. Anything with Fenians. Avoid the Iraq episode unless you want to be blinded with rage.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

the Willie Dee and the Rube

...Mornings on 106.2 The Snooze, where Rock Lives in Ann Arbor

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

I'm not sure which one of the LAPD episodes it is, but whichever has the upstanding citizen running the soup kitchen with the secret mistress his wife knew about and was okay with is pretty great.

e: Also David Hahn

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lost Season posted:

I'm not sure which one of the LAPD episodes it is, but whichever has the upstanding citizen running the soup kitchen with the secret mistress his wife knew about and was okay with is pretty great.

That was one where I'd actually read a bit about the dude in question beforehand; I haven't decided if that made the episode better or worse.

Same with Jack Parsons, actually.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
ep 40, the James Davis years.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Sweet, thanks! And on the other end, any to really avoid?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The episodes about specific lynchings and race riots (ex. Ep 86 Tom Dennison and the Omaha Riot) are extremely dark and unpleasant to listen to

These are also some of the better episodes the show has done, imo

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Which episode had a tangent about about Gary taking a pot brownie before a flight,which then got delayed and him trying to act cool and composed in the airport.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The Torture Psychologists is exactly what it says on the tin.

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

207 - The Animal Horror of Macquarie Island

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

Berkeloid posted:

207 - The Animal Horror of Macquarie Island

That one is just so grizzly that it loops around to become hilarious. It basically broke Gareth and most of the audience too. Also maybe it's too obvious a candidate, but The Hippo Bill is the greatest episode. Every few minutes it seems like the story has settled on something but then it just moves in some other absurd direction.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I want to go back and show a friend older episodes. What are some good episodes about religion or religious figures being manipulative.

So far I have Thomas Kinkade, The Talk Board, Vanpires In America & Comet Panic.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Franchescanado posted:

I want to go back and show a friend older episodes. What are some good episodes about religion or religious figures being manipulative.

So far I have Thomas Kinkade, The Talk Board, Vanpires In America & Comet Panic.

The lost episode about the three Jesuses is a weird journey into insanity.

http://thedollop.net/wp/episode-93-smollop/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hiro Protagonist posted:

maybe it's just me but the ones that end in injustice usually leave me mad, like Catastrophe Jim or An American Pugilist in London

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Quest For Glory II posted:

maybe it's just me but the ones that end in injustice usually leave me mad, like Catastrophe Jim or An American Pugilist in London

Catastrophe Jim is good but yeah if injustice pisses you off you will not like the ending at all.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JethroMcB posted:

John Wayne Thompson's Armageddon (A young man in the Great Plains has a bad day)

This one depresses me quite a lot, but I know not everybody will have the same reaction. A teenage kid loses both his arms to a threshing machine but does not die.

All the other suggestions people have made are great, though. And even the miserably-depressing episodes about racism (yay America :patriot:) usually have some fun in them, even if it's dark humor. (I initially wrote "black humor", but then figured I should change it.)

rumble in the bunghole posted:

The Torture Psychologists is exactly what it says on the tin.

Probably skip "The Torture Psychologists" and the one about the Iraq war. Might be too soon for those, and they're also the "bad people get away with bad things" kind of episodes.

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 11, 2016

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I haven't re-listened to it since it came out, but I remember The Jackson Cheese pretty fondly. No big stakes or social injustice, just a bonkers story of a big fuckin piece of cheese.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you can stand Wil Anderson, The Tichborne Situation is one of the funniest episodes.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Fun, mostly lighter, episodes, with my short descriptions:

-Count Dante - he had a lion IN a dojo!
-James Sullivan and the Olympics (live with Rory Scovel) - the craziest 8-month-long Olympic Games ever
-The Egg Nog Riot - West Point students gone wild
-The Straw Hat Riot - people did not like other people wearing straw hats in September
-The Pig War (live with the Stop Podcasting Yourself guys, Dave and Graham) - a tiny island is a huge deal. I like SPY, but I thought Dave (Shumka) kind of dragged this one down a bit. Graham seemed to be getting into it a bit more. the story is pretty fun.
-Disco Demolition Night - baseball game + event night = crazy poo poo happens
-Ten Cent Beer Night - baseball game + event night + very very cheap beer = crazy poo poo happens
-Hugh Motherfucking Glass - Dave typed "who is America's biggest badass?" into google and that's how he discovered Hugh Glass. iirc, there is some graphic description of his wounds, but the story is more about how he's a badass mountain man.
-Michael Malloy - an Irishman who just wouldn't die
-History of Domino's Pizza - reverse Dollop about the guy who founded Domino's
-America's Greatest Sack of Flour - it's not just a sack of flour. yes it is.
-The Bunion Derby - a race put together by morons and assholes

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 12, 2016

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The ones people have mentioned are definitely contenders but I'd like to add Nim The Chimp to the list of huge bummers to avoid. I'd also agree that most of the bummer episodes are really strong in their own right, (Macquarie Island might be my favorite episode now because I'm an awful person I guess,) so if you're in a certain mood, maybe swing back around to a couple of them.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Michael Malloy the Superhuman Hobo. an amazing tale, that one.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys are crazy. Macquarie Island isn't a bummer, it's hilarious.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's so absurdly cruel it becomes hilarious for some, but people in the audience who are probably more normal than me broke into tears.

penguin oil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

uber_stoat posted:

Michael Malloy the Superhuman Hobo. an amazing tale, that one.

"Ain't I got a thirst!"

Cassius Clay, Porter Rockwell, Stagecoach Mary, and Carry A Nation are all good episodes about people who got things done.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 12, 2016