Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
then you get the fuckers that want to join because no one will touch them with a 10ft pole and they think Hell its Vietnam 1968 or whatever and the army will take anyone and they mention they have a sex charge and you pull them up on the Sex Offender Database and it's their picture

and you have to tell them no they can't join though realistically with those kind of qualifications they should probably be considered for a direct commission to o3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i was just flipping you poo poo ;)

I know. ;)

then you get the fuckers that want to join because no one will touch them with a 10ft pole and they think Hell its Vietnam 1968 or whatever and the army will take anyone and they mention they have a sex charge and you pull them up on the Sex Offender Database and it's their picture

and you have to tell them no they can't join though realistically with those kind of qualifications they should probably be considered for a direct commission to o3

Some dude in Tacobell gave me a veteran discount. Said he was gonna try the do his part. Mother fucker failed the ASVAB. I say again, he did so bad, infantry didn't even want him and we know how loving stupid they are.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

how do you fail asvab

like i was a b/c student in high school and i didnt look at anything beforehand and i scored high enough for medic

idk i never had test anxiety and i think with the weight of getting your mos maybe you could feasibly be stressed out enough to do lovely, but it was like 6th or 7th grade poo poo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Soulex posted:

I know. ;)

Some dude in Tacobell gave me a veteran discount. Said he was gonna try the do his part. Mother fucker failed the ASVAB. I say again, he did so bad, infantry didn't even want him and we know how loving stupid they are.

failing asvab was one of hte biggest obstacles I dealt with as a recruiter.

imagine for a moment taking some kid at 1600 to take asvab. you get him there and they check in and wait around for them to start the test. you sit around in a parking lot loving around on your phone for 2+ hours and this kid walks out with a 16 or something and you have another hour drive back trhough rush hour traffic and have to pretend they're still good and cool and they just need to study and they are just doing the air drums to REO Speedwagon the whole way back and you just turn off the radio because jesus christ

one time some weird model chick wanted to hook up and all and it was weird too probably should have went for it though slamming body

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
motherfuckers would walk in and do the practice test in the office and score in the single digits and you're supposed to tell them that if they study they can like do 10x better on their test to get MI or whatever dream job they think they want or they wont join

1sg tells you you're a piece of human garbage no matter what because they didnt join before the end of month

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
sergeant when i was a recruiter i would have personally mentored that person to pass the test

*spends 5 minutes talking to someone that cant join*

sergeant why didn't you tell them to gently caress off because you couuld have made 40000 phone calls in that amount of time?????

poo poo TIER SOLDIER

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Everything you do in a recruiting minute to minute is a waste of time according to leadership

i spent like 5 minutes telling some kid that as 300 lbs some basic poo poo like: "dude i cant tell you how to diet but maybe cut out on soda and get down to 180 and come back" but if that was during RED TIME (phonecalls) then poo poo I should probably get a UCMJ or maybe stand on the carpet for that for missing my target of phone calls

no poo poo that same kid came in a year later at 180 with a bunch of weight loss and hoping hte army would cut his excess skin off but whatever, he joined as an MP i think (lol)

not bitter

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i said yo guys i'm not calling parents phone numbers for their kids at 5pm because its 201x and that wont work and started heavily prospecting on social media and probably got like 10 appointments a week, which was unprecedented for my area.

BN came down with policies for doing that which totally were gay and army as gently caress so just to be a dick I did those rules and got 0 appointments and quit and just clicked "log attempt" on fake phone calls

i'm telling you all USAREC is the most purestrain army bullshit ever. i'd take fighting literal tigers in the jungles of vietnam with an m7 bayonet over that loving recruiting poo poo if I had to do it again.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Yeah, mixing army and cold sales is a special kind of terrible

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Suntan Boy posted:

Yeah, mixing army and cold sales is a special kind of terrible

motherfuckers that were recruiting when 20k bonuses for 2 years in 06 were a thing telling me to sell 6 years in the reserve for NOTHING like its a leadership challenge

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

motherfuckers that were recruiting when 20k bonuses for 2 years in 06 were a thing telling me to sell 6 years in the reserve for NOTHING like its a leadership challenge

Most of the "leadership challenges" I've heard of had nothing to do with leadership. Like sales goals, in the case of recruitment.

Fun anecdote: Every shady near-post dealership I've ever dealt with has been run exclusively by ex-recruiters.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Suntan Boy posted:

Most of the "leadership challenges" I've heard of had nothing to do with leadership. Like sales goals, in the case of recruitment.

Fun anecdote: Every shady near-post dealership I've ever dealt with has been run exclusively by ex-recruiters.

I wish I'd been a recruiter now just to get in on that racket.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

how do you fail asvab

like i was a b/c student in high school and i didnt look at anything beforehand and i scored high enough for medic

idk i never had test anxiety and i think with the weight of getting your mos maybe you could feasibly be stressed out enough to do lovely, but it was like 6th or 7th grade poo poo

I went to take the ASVAB with one of the 10 worst hangovers I ever had in my life, and ended up qualifying for "anything."

When I told the career counselor I only wanted a two-year enlistment, my options narrowed substantially.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

bird food bathtub posted:

I went in knowing right from the get-go I was going to hit it and quit it. No loving way my family could afford college for even one child, now I'm graduating.

Service basically guarantees citizenship in this market if you don't start off at least moderately wealthy.

I barely graduated high school because I couldn't be bothered to show up half the time. Basically enlisted because I had nothing else better to do.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm curious if I got hosed on my enlistment bonus. I thought I got away with bank when I grabbed a $7,500 enlistment bonus. But there were a few dudes in my basic training that said they got 15k/20K enlistment bonuses.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Maybe? When I went through in 09, two dudes in my basic both contracted for EOD. One got 6k, the other got 20. The one that got 6 was a bit upset.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My first enlistment I got no bonus, but three years at the unit I wanted.
A friend went same mos, but no duty station and got like 5k. Bonuses sucked in 01/02

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
they're first come/first serve and change all the time, like month to month, there are a lot of variables in bonuses that are all done at some higher level

you can look at otherwise identical candidates and if one is male, the other female, they'll have different jobs and bonuses. You can call and beg for overrides, but otherwise I think that's how the army tries to get diversity and other quotas without putting it on the individual recruiter. I think the Navy and maybe the USMC will have to search specifically for female enlistments while in the army really the only thing you're missioned with is education level and asvab score (over under 50)

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

bulletsponge13 posted:

My first enlistment I got no bonus, but three years at the unit I wanted.
A friend went same mos, but no duty station and got like 5k. Bonuses sucked in 01/02

I renegotiated a $15k bonus on a 6 year EOD contract to $5k for weather when I cross-trained after my range accident and left EOD in 01/02.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
15k signing 10k MOS.

Both recouped when I IST'd :lol:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It felt good to politely decline the retention office's offer that I take a retention bonus in lieu of dropping into the IRR.

Speaking of, I should probably go ahead and draft that IRR resignation letter.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

4K MOS and 12k "fast ship" bonus. I was borderline stupid with this money and easily spent 3-4K on food over a few months.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

It felt good to politely decline the retention office's offer that I take a retention bonus in lieu of dropping into the IRR.

Speaking of, I should probably go ahead and draft that IRR resignation letter.

How much did he offer?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i got 7.5k and a gi bill kicker that i never used. free tuition at a cc and when i transferred they started the post 9/11

(fun fact vas: i was the first person to turn mine in at our alma mater. Jack and i spent 45 min in his office wondering where the gently caress to send it)

idk what i spent mine on. prolly video games left when my parents lost their house in '09

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

MightyJoe36 posted:

I went to take the ASVAB with one of the 10 worst hangovers I ever had in my life, and ended up qualifying for "anything."

I took it hosed up on Demerol and got the same. Pretty sure I drooled on the test. Enlisted as EOD in 2008, was offered 40K, failed out and didn't see a penny.

Also, literally signing my DD 214 right now so none of it matters. :whatup:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

redneck nazgul posted:

I took it hosed up on Demerol and got the same. Pretty sure I drooled on the test. Enlisted as EOD in 2008, was offered 40K, failed out and didn't see a penny.

Also, literally signing my DD 214 right now so none of it matters. :whatup:

You sense that? The hairs rising on the back of your neck? That's freedom, my dude. Embrace it.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

J.A.B.C. posted:

You sense that? The hairs rising on the back of your neck? That's freedom, my dude. Embrace it.

Dropping a copy off at Finance so they make sure I get my two months of terminal, then going to sign out on leave and probably blast the Mad Max soundtrack at full blast with the windows down on I-95 while screaming FREEDOM at the top of my lungs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

How much did he offer?

No idea. He started with "Well you know they're offering retention bonuses right now." And I cut him off before he got into the details.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My company's retention NCO was showing me the answers he gets to his emails that get sent out asking if people want to re-enlist. They ranged from "No" to "hahahahaha."

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I did Stop Loss myself to reenlist in the Guard to get a 15k tax free bonus, which was pretty baller.
Then, because of that deployment (well, in part because of it), I got Medically Retired. So, smdftb? I guess. I don't even care anymore.
The real bonus was actually getting to go to war. War ruled.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

bulletsponge13 posted:

The real bonus was actually getting to go to war. War ruled.

I didn't get to go to war. I went to Iraq. D:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

McNally posted:

I didn't get to go to war. D:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
lol well Iraq was at least 10x the war as Afghanistan at least if we go by "amount of dudes hosed up" metric

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. I don't give a gently caress who gives me poo poo for being on Balad for 15 months straight. That poo poo hosed me up some.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

balad had hella mortar attacks the 2 weeks i was there

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I missed my deployment/reenlistment/separation sweet spot. If I had another 3 months TIS I could have reenlisted for 90k tax free and been medically retired afterwards and kept the cash. I mean I would have wasted it on bullshit but hey it would have been a lot of it.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Iraq and Afghanistan all depend on location in the country. I was right north of Balad and did clearance from Tampa to the LSA pre-trail blazer units. It was definitely a mix of 95/5 monotony to action. Meanwhile my first time to Afghanistan I was shot at probably every other, to every third day.

Iraq was substantially more stressful due to the never knowing when poo poo was going to happen and it being my first deployment. Not to mention my platoon also lost people in Iraq, but my Detachment was relatively unscathed in Afghanistan.

In my last Afghan tour, I would forget I was deployed because of the relative safety and amenities at the base I was at. Everything is relative.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah my first and second Afghanistan deployments were surprisingly close to each other in terms of distance, the main bases were within 25 miles of each other, but it was night and day. 2007-08 was a nightmare shitshow, we were next door to the Korengal (see Restrepo if you haven't!), had two of our bases nearly overrun and lost a lot of guys, and then a year and half later and 40 km down the road we got mortared a couple of times? And not even that well? Definitely a weird YMMV situation.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My DD-214 has 420:1 for my KDR you wanna talk about seeing some poo poo lemme tell you .....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Greetings from deployment zone. Please enjoy some recordings courtesy of the sound booth on post.

https://youtu.be/T763uXxWs2A

• Locked thread