Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So is it just my ears or me being lucky that I've never encountered coil whine? And would a full cover water block, covering most of the card and not providing easy air channels, muffle/prevent it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Maybe you had minor coil whine and just didn't notice, but serious coil whine is impossible to miss. I think it varies a lot in volume and pitch. There's plenty of luck involved as to whether you get a card that does it. My 970 rarely whines but for whatever reason on the credits screen at the end of unigine heaven it whines like crazy and it is not a sound that would be muffled easily. You could hear it in the next room as long as there isn't music playing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Col.Kiwi posted:

Maybe you had minor coil whine and just didn't notice, but serious coil whine is impossible to miss. I think it varies a lot in volume and pitch. There's plenty of luck involved as to whether you get a card that does it. My 970 rarely whines but for whatever reason on the credits screen at the end of unigine heaven it whines like crazy and it is not a sound that would be muffled easily. You could hear it in the next room as long as there isn't music playing.

It whines like crazy because during those loading/credit screens the FPS shoots up to something insane like 1000+.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Over and underclocking didnt seem to do much. I even underclocked it to the point where it was equivalent with reference. Realized EVGA had a toll-free 24/7 number. Decided "what the hell" and gave it a shot. They did mention the possibility of a bad mobo/PSU but ultimately they still offered the advanced RMA service without the cost, just the MSRP collateral. From the time I dialed to the time I hung up was 11 minutes. No fuss, no teeth pulling. They werent outsourced either.

I'm not expecting total coil whine silence since most of my technology has it to some degree, but I am hoping for something less ear piercing. That all said, im glad calling EVGA was a breeze. Im conditioned to fear tech support phone calls but this is a cool change of pace.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FaustianQ posted:

Took awhile, but while I do get noticeably better results I've basically come to the conclusion that TheRationalRedditor posted, it's entirely a memory bottleneck because it's not only DDR2, but MSI in their infinite wisdom made the board single channel. Incoming PM Booty-Ade.

drat that suuuccks :( single channel is the devil, those words should never be uttered nowadays

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://videocardz.com/64637/secret-amd-vega-tech-day-is-happening-right-now

Well, maybe we *will* get a 490 this year.

Seems to be corroborated around most of the internet with minimal "Well they said it, so we're reporting it too".

Still, Vega in Vegas. (I see what you did there, AMD.)

Hurry up and give me my loving mobility pro drivers already, damnit. You hear me, baby? Hold together, just a little bit longer!

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 10, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

http://videocardz.com/64637/secret-amd-vega-tech-day-is-happening-right-now

Well, maybe we *will* get a 490 this year.

Seems to be corroborated around most of the internet with minimal "Well they said it, so we're reporting it too".

Still, Vega in Vegas. (I see what you did there, AMD.)

Hurry up and give me my loving mobility pro drivers already, damnit. You hear me, baby? Hold together, just a little bit longer!

Will only buy AMD if they offer 495 X2. Dual 490 GPUs with either attached AIO or a killer 3 slot air cooler.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

This is more of a software question than GPU, but it's GPU software so...

Anyone ever had trouble with Geforce Experience for recording? I have a GTX 1080 and I really want to use the feature where it's constantly buffering X minutes and I can just hit a key combo to poo poo out a file, but it just refuses to work for me. The overlay is fine and I can drop screenshots but none of the video recording functions work for me. Have tried reinstalling, changing hotkeys, etc.

Any suggestions welcome!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
have you tried DDU when you uninstall?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Digital Jesus posted:

Anyone ever had trouble with Geforce Experience for recording? I have a GTX 1080 and I really want to use the feature where it's constantly buffering X minutes and I can just hit a key combo to poo poo out a file, but it just refuses to work for me. The overlay is fine and I can drop screenshots but none of the video recording functions work for me. Have tried reinstalling, changing hotkeys, etc.

Any suggestions welcome!

Check your services and make sure that Nvidia Streaming Service is up and running.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Digital Jesus posted:

Any suggestions welcome!

Turn on the status indicator, what does it show when you start recording/DVR? Can you stream? If there is a red line through the status indicator ?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm unironically hoping for a small, AIO card like the fury x for Vega. It'll be great in my SFF case.

(naturally with a pump without noise issues)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
i want a fury v2 with 8-16 jiggabits of the good ram, and being small and compact

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I just wanted a hawaii die shrink (with some texture compression tech) and 50% higher clocks and I would've paid a bunch for it too. Polaris fell well short of that expectation so I'm very skeptical that they can get ALL THOSE SHADERS up to a high enough mhz to do gently caress all against the 1080, memory bandwidth be damned.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zen announcement next Tuesday I think.

I'd be excited if it wasn't built at gloflo.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for the replies, will check those things out tonight.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Zen announcement next Tuesday I think.

I'd be excited if it wasn't built at gloflo.

I'm actually excited please send help

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So a while back I got an EVGA 1070 SC and it seemed to be kinda DOA, it worked but games crashed all the time and after doing the due diligence, I RMA'd it. I got the replacement card today, and the annoying thing is, it's presenting with the exact same symptoms. Not driver crashing like you'd expect, but games being generally unstable and randomly crashing within 5-15 minutes. If I didn't have a bad card, what could the issue be? Because it's only presenting when I switch from my 970 to this card, and I'm pretty sure the 970 draws more power than the 1070 so that would rule out the power supply being bad. What the hell would be causing this?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

cat doter posted:

So a while back I got an EVGA 1070 SC and it seemed to be kinda DOA, it worked but games crashed all the time and after doing the due diligence, I RMA'd it. I got the replacement card today, and the annoying thing is, it's presenting with the exact same symptoms. Not driver crashing like you'd expect, but games being generally unstable and randomly crashing within 5-15 minutes. If I didn't have a bad card, what could the issue be? Because it's only presenting when I switch from my 970 to this card, and I'm pretty sure the 970 draws more power than the 1070 so that would rule out the power supply being bad. What the hell would be causing this?

Did you wipe your drivers for the 970 and install drivers for the 1070?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Also is it still necessary to use the DDU driver uninstaller thing, or is that now considered excessive janitoring?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

Did you wipe your drivers for the 970 and install drivers for the 1070?

Yep, ran DDU, wiped the 970 drivers then shut down, popped the 1070 in and installed the latest drivers from the geforce website. I'm not sure it could be driver related since it doesn't happen the other way around since I ended up having to put the 970 back in when I RMA'd that other 1070. It worked fine!

edit: Oh crap I forgot to mention I got a blue screen when I was screwing around with MSI afterburner overclocking the card because I, LIKE AN IDIOT, assumed the card I got worked. It had a stop code of DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION or something, I think? This is what bluescreenview gives me.

I should add I obviously reverted any overclocking changes I made once the crashing started happening.

I did another driver install, this time just hitting the clean driver install option in the installer. Still crashes. I used DDU again and used the safe mode option this time and I'm running benchmarks right now. Hopefully it's just screwy drivers and I can fix this.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 12, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Did you get the same card back ?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

penus penus penus posted:

Did you get the same card back ?

Nope, looks brand new to me, has a different serial number too.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
What motherboard do you have? There might be some edge case with your specific model and a feature only Pascal attempts to use but Maxwell doesn't care about. See if anyone else is successfully running a Pascal with that motherboard. Also, on the latest motherboard bios?

Edit: I personally went through something sort of similar, I was on a pretty old bios for my Asus X99-A thinking "Don't change what isn't broken" and I started getting intermittent faults that I wasted probably a week trying to track down before thinking, gently caress it, maybe it'll crash updating the bios and I'll get a new one. 1 bios update later and no problems in over 2 weeks.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 12, 2016

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Yeah, that Asus mainboard BIOS that I put off forever until a week ago is paying dividends for me as well. I'm finally having fewer of some anomalous problems that I could never pin down. Maybe there's something with with your mainboard's PCI-E or power delivery or something.

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

craig588 posted:

What motherboard do you have? There might be some edge case with your specific model and a feature only Pascal attempts to use but Maxwell doesn't care about. See if anyone else is successfully running a Pascal with that motherboard. Also, on the latest motherboard bios?

Edit: I personally went through something sort of similar, I was on a pretty old bios for my Asus X99-A thinking "Don't change what isn't broken" and I started getting intermittent faults that I wasted probably a week trying to track down before thinking, gently caress it, maybe it'll crash updating the bios and I'll get a new one. 1 bios update later and no problems in over 2 weeks.

Just to add to this, my 1070 wouldn't work at all until I updated my bios to a new version. Had tried everything and swapped back between the old 660ti and 1070, before trying updating bios in desperation, and it fixed it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I had an issue where I couldn't install 1070 drivers because I was using Windows Enterprice and they didn't have the big Win 10 update from last year. Just a shot in the dark though.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Yeah, that Asus mainboard BIOS that I put off forever until a week ago is paying dividends for me as well. I'm finally having fewer of some anomalous problems that I could never pin down. Maybe there's something with with your mainboard's PCI-E or power delivery or something.

So seeing this, I checked for updates to my board (ASUS X99-M WS) and found one new in the last month. On installing it:
Plus Side: My system boots like fifteen seconds faster (it took an insane amount of time to POST before).
Minus Side: Forgets every BIOS setting and proceeds to enable Secure Boot, keeping my OS from booting (and also disabling VTx which I need to run VMs for my job until I noticed that too.)

Great job, ASUS. Great job.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Radeon 460 BIOS unlocked to yield full Polaris 11.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

First Vega-based accelerator card spotted:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's really hard to get psyched about new GPUs until the prices are known.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

I'm actually excited please send help
try this: "haswell ipc but won't overclock worth a poo poo beyond 4.0ghz"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Interesting that they don't advertise the FLOPS on the training accelerator.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

...or even how much VRAM it has. Or how they benchmarked the Titan X Maxwell and Titan X Pascal (are they running AMDs OpenCL kernels or cuDNN?)

more info pls

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

"Under NDA until 9am EST"

So I guess the articles will pop up in a couple of hours?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

From the pattern in the names it is easy to figure out that it's roughly 25TFLOPS. I'll eat my hat if that isn't half precisions FP16 as well ("2x packed math") so it looks like it's ~12.5TFLOPS FP32, which lines up nicely as a Titan XP/P6000 competitor as well as being a reasonable 30% faster at the standard measure over the next model down (the MI8).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Does this mean I can finally affordably roll my own goddamn personal assistant instead of Cortana/Siri/Google?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Does this mean I can finally affordably roll my own goddamn personal assistant instead of Cortana/Siri/Google?
AMD is not going to sell this below half of nvidia's offering unless they're literally insane

but given this year, anything is possible

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Hope that's possible with the 480 too.

By the way, is it likely prices for AMDs cards will drop when they announce this new stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, it's loving 9 AM EST.

From what I'm seeing, I think this is the poo poo that Baidu is getting early next year for their cloud services.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 12, 2016