Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

You don't need a unit nearby the area that you want to discover; this is a widely-spread misconception. You need to have a fully-explored series of maps connecting to the area that you want to discover, much like you would if you were using an Explorer to discover new ocean zones and coasts. It's the "fully-explored chain of maps" bit that trips people up.

I've stolen maps connecting deep into South America without ever setting foot in the new world. The idea that you need to have a unit somewhere nearby is simply false

The tooltip says you need a unit and sticking a single merc infantry in an adjacent region lets you steal the map if you couldn't before. If you can also do it with a completed set of maps the tooltip should be updated to reflect both options.

e: It doesn't really trip people up, there's just no in game source for what you're saying

Yashichi fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

uPen posted:

I was wondering why my anti-austrian alliance with the French had just vanished without a notification and:

:v:

I just had OPM Navarra get Spain in a PU. They were allied to France too so held it for a while.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

I was wondering why my anti-austrian alliance with the French had just vanished without a notification and:

:v:

At least it won't last long. Especially with those dinky allies.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Getting a truly miserable bug where my current game crashes every few minutes. It's never done this before, but about 30 minutes ago it started. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm actually doing anything or just durdling around the map while paused - after about 3 minutes the game just closes with no warning signs. My computer is not running hot or anything. Any suggestions? Is this a known issue?

I'm particularly sad because this is a hardcore game and probably my most successful Asian campaign ever :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

You don't need a unit nearby the area that you want to discover; this is a widely-spread misconception. You need to have a fully-explored series of maps connecting to the area that you want to discover, much like you would if you were using an Explorer to discover new ocean zones and coasts. It's the "fully-explored chain of maps" bit that trips people up.

I've stolen maps connecting deep into South America without ever setting foot in the new world. The idea that you need to have a unit somewhere nearby is simply false
Except the game tells you that you need to have a unit there? If I was playing I would grab a screenshot to prove it, but it is the what the game tells you. It is not a "misconception".

edit: my time came off like a big jerk but I'm just trying to say that if the to top terms me that is why I can't do something...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 12, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

QuarkJets posted:

This is absolutely not the case. I've had cases where e.g. I was unable to steal maps of Canada or Hudson's Bay, even with full map knowledge of the surrounding water & areas leading all the way back to my capitol, until I sent cogs into the adjacent waters.

When the tooltip says that you need units nearby, it means it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I think I'm just totally blind but is there no way to ask an ally to transfer occupation of a province to you during war? I want to take a very specific province for my own.

For reference, the occupier does not want the province, I can't select for them to take it either.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 12, 2016

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think I'm just totally blind but is there no way to ask an ally to transfer occupation of a province to you during war? I want to take a very specific province for my own.

For reference, the occupier does not want the province, I can't select for them to take it either.

If you're able to set it as a province of interest, the AI will transfer it to you quickly.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

If you're able to set it as a province of interest, the AI will transfer it to you quickly.

Says an ally has already claimed it. Uhg.

E: I tried rolling back to a save before the war and even claiming it as a province of interest, they still will not transfer ownership to me. Do I just have to wait a long time? They definitely do not want the province.

E2: Uhg well, it took a bit of fiddling and uh, letting one of my allies eat a few stack wipes, but the Mamluks have been thoroughly trashed.

Ya'll love screwy boarders right? :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 12, 2016

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Can anyone offer any pointers on the "repeatable" Byzantium strategies mentioned on the last page? I have had some luck getting in with Albania and Hungary against Otto, I can see how that could lead to good things, but Venice always jumps on me or Albania at some point (often before I'm even fighting the Ottomans at all) and I have never been able to hold off the attack from both sides, let alone win provinces in a peace deal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I always just used an alliance with Hungary and Poland.

It's much slower but much easier. Might need rerolls for optimum rivals.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Byzantium all comes down to RNG one way or another, all that you can do is try and have a few ideas you can roll with depending on what happens and be ready to give up if things are too bleak

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
What does the "units lost" mean in the stats after quitting? Because apparently in my Ethiopia game, I got an average of over half a million of my people killed every year playing from start to 1671, when my manpower capped at like 34k.

Also my game had megablob Ottomans, Ming and Persia and they all hated each other.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 12, 2016

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/808343826196742149?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

What does the "units lost" mean in the stats after quitting? Because apparently in my Ethiopia game, I got an average of over half a million of my people killed every year playing from start to 1671, when my manpower capped at like 34k.

It means "this stat is bugged". Ditto with units killed and various other ones, iirc.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jamsque posted:

Can anyone offer any pointers on the "repeatable" Byzantium strategies mentioned on the last page? I have had some luck getting in with Albania and Hungary against Otto, I can see how that could lead to good things, but Venice always jumps on me or Albania at some point (often before I'm even fighting the Ottomans at all) and I have never been able to hold off the attack from both sides, let alone win provinces in a peace deal.

Sometimes Venice just decides to gently caress you and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it if it happens before you've won the 1st war with the Ottomans. Better luck next time!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

If I wanted to do an achievements run, where I just get as many as possible in a single run, what should I play? I have only some very basic ones.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I got like 15 in my Iroquois game but I really doubt that's the best option for this.

I honestly just wanted Six Nations but I kept playing to see what else I could pull off.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Steam should register achievements multiple times.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TorakFade posted:

If I wanted to do an achievements run, where I just get as many as possible in a single run, what should I play? I have only some very basic ones.

I think Spain or France have the most specifically associated with them. I got a load on a Castile game, though there's now an Aragon specific one. Spain is good for getting the colonial achievements and the one for taking Japan as a European.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TorakFade posted:

The Ottomans are OP and are good for doing, in no particular order: Master of India, Definitely the Sultan of Rum, Thats a Silk Road, Marshy March, Subsidize my Love, The Continuation of Diplomacy, A Pile of Gold, At every continent, Blockader, City of Cities, Four For Trade, Respected, Bleed Them Dry, Dar al-Islam, Georgia on my Mind, Market Control, The Rising Sun, Total Control, Trade Hegemon, Over a Thousand!, and World Conqueror.

Tsyni posted:

Steam should register achievements multiple times.
I would like this.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Imo they should have a one in one out rule for new mechanics/ui elements at this point

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
in a sense they did this time, they're probably taking out sailors

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

pointsofdata posted:

Imo they should have a one in one out rule for new mechanics/ui elements at this point

Trumpanomics DLC for EU4? Automatically provides spy network points to Russia. Speeds up cultural conversion at the cost of national unrest. Increased burgher influence and reducing tax income.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The Ottomans are OP and are good for doing, in no particular order: Master of India, Definitely the Sultan of Rum, Thats a Silk Road, Marshy March, Subsidize my Love, The Continuation of Diplomacy, A Pile of Gold, At every continent, Blockader, City of Cities, Four For Trade, Respected, Bleed Them Dry, Dar al-Islam, Georgia on my Mind, Market Control, The Rising Sun, Total Control, Trade Hegemon, Over a Thousand!, and World Conqueror.

I would like this.

Ruina Imperii, AAA Credit, Fanatic Collectivist, A Decent Reserve, and We bled for this are also reasonablish goals as ottomans

NOTE: IF YOU ARE GOING FOR DAR AL ISLAM MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE DLC

the biggest problem I have with playing ottomans is the font:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

awesmoe posted:

Ruina Imperii, AAA Credit, Fanatic Collectivist, A Decent Reserve, and We bled for this are also reasonablish goals as ottomans

Conquering Multan might help.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

awesmoe posted:

OT TOM MA N S?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ugh if they are going to change the UI please do this, too:

I am lazy and needing to click on my flag every time I need to do something in one of the dozen tabs in there is getting tedious. Unless they add keyboard shortcuts to get to each of those screens or something.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I think if you have coloured wasteland on the name will go over it, I seem to remember noticing that not too long ago.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Carver posted:

I think if you have coloured wasteland on the name will go over it, I seem to remember noticing that not too long ago.

Yeah coloured wasteland does it (removing multan made it straight, but tiny, vertical over georgia). But I like the way it looks as is. I wish it was easier to differentiate wasteland and colonial regions though. Minor details.
At any rate, it's refreshing that something in the run isn't just rolling over to my whims.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Sometimes Venice just decides to gently caress you and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it if it happens before you've won the 1st war with the Ottomans. Better luck next time!

This actually worked out really well the one time that it happened to me; Venice doesn't have many cogs, so they can't land a lot of troops at once, and you can exploit that for a ton of warscore, plus the ticking warscore for holding onto whatever province Venice wanted (in my case it was Athens). If you can figure out where they're going to land and get there before they do, then you can possibly even stackwipe them each time. Then for whatever reason Venice became deathly afraid of my fleet and allowed me to siege down some of their forts, so I walked away with all of their cores south of Dalmatia + Corfu + all of their ducats + War Reps. That doubled my size for very little effort

Meanwhile Ottomans took the mission to take Rhodes and were loving around with their eastern front, which gave me enough time to ally Poland.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

I Love You! posted:

Getting a truly miserable bug where my current game crashes every few minutes. It's never done this before, but about 30 minutes ago it started. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm actually doing anything or just durdling around the map while paused - after about 3 minutes the game just closes with no warning signs. My computer is not running hot or anything. Any suggestions? Is this a known issue?

I'm particularly sad because this is a hardcore game and probably my most successful Asian campaign ever :(
If it always happens after loading a particular save you should post it on Paradox's bug report forum with the save file.

In the short term, if you don't have another save from that campaign that works you're probably out of luck.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ugh if they are going to change the UI please do this, too:

I am lazy and needing to click on my flag every time I need to do something in one of the dozen tabs in there is getting tedious. Unless they add keyboard shortcuts to get to each of those screens or something.

F1-F5?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

awesmoe posted:

And keep in mind all your land needs to be muslim, not just the specific provinces you need for the achievement.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Elman posted:

And keep in mind all your land needs to be muslim, not just the specific provinces you need for the achievement.

Honestly I wish this could be a 100% Religious Unity + all provinces Muslim, Christian, or Jewish check, to allow a religiously tolerant empire to unify Islam, as long as they stick to the People of the Book.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

QuarkJets posted:

This actually worked out really well the one time that it happened to me; Venice doesn't have many cogs, so they can't land a lot of troops at once, and you can exploit that for a ton of warscore, plus the ticking warscore for holding onto whatever province Venice wanted (in my case it was Athens). If you can figure out where they're going to land and get there before they do, then you can possibly even stackwipe them each time. Then for whatever reason Venice became deathly afraid of my fleet and allowed me to siege down some of their forts, so I walked away with all of their cores south of Dalmatia + Corfu + all of their ducats + War Reps. That doubled my size for very little effort

Meanwhile Ottomans took the mission to take Rhodes and were loving around with their eastern front, which gave me enough time to ally Poland.

Yeah the one game where they really screwed me over they had allied Savoy and the Papal State and had a combined army of over 40k, and everyone gave them mil access to get to me :saddowns:

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

pointsofdata posted:

They took out the A/D/M points display, so... no more monarch points, then. Or it's just bugged.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

They took out the A/D/M points display, so... no more monarch points, then. Or it's just bugged.

Johan says in the replies "It's supposed to be there" so the latter I imagine

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm guessing the new ui element is a power bar and when it fills up one of your generals goes super saiyan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tsyni posted:

I'm guessing the new ui element is a power bar and when it fills up one of your generals goes super saiyan.

Hitler Mana

I am super rusty at this too since playing as Ethiopia the Ottomans whacked me in 1530 or so with 2-3x my troops and two techs ahead plus a shitload of manpower. I might be totally hosed here.

• Locked thread