Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

the post was already pretty crappy before then. now it's no different than going to Salon and the like, it just also happens to have a print edition

remember how horrified liberals and the left were at karl rove's "make everything political" strategy? now they're carrying the torch. there's such a thing as escapism, and it doesn't mean you have to be detached from everything related to politics

But what if politics is the escapism!? :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

MizPiz posted:

But what if politics is the escapism!? :aaaaa:

Then I never want to be forced to remember whatever hell this is a preferable escape from.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Then I never want to be forced to remember whatever hell this is a preferable escape from.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://twitter.com/glitter4goals/status/807707156220878850

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
WOC sounds like a racist slur ironically enough.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

WOC sounds like a racist slur ironically enough.

i love how the non racist people somehow made the term colored people pc by saying it like yoda

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
seriously I can't be the only one who thinks "X of color" sounds way more condescending than just saying they're Black or Chinese or Lakota or Mexican

because, you know, all minority groups are completely interchangeable and there's no need to be specific when discussing them

like the only worse term is loving "latinx" because it's inflicting a completely English language-centric problem (an erroneously-perceived lack of gender neutral pronouns) on a population group that primarily speaks Spanish, a language with intrinsic grammatical genders, it's loving linguistic imperialism

Vincent Van Goatse has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Dec 12, 2016

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Teen Vogue is cool

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
like seriously the made up gender neutral pronouns annoy the gently caress out of me because English already has a gender neutral singular pronoun and it's they

"they" can be a loving singular pronoun, loving Shakespeare and Dickens and Chaucer used it that way so you drat well can too

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

seriously I can't be the only one who thinks "X of color" sounds way more condescending than just saying they're Black or Chinese or Lakota or Mexican

because, you know, all minority groups are completely interchangeable and there's no need to be specific when discussing them

like the only worse term is loving "latinx" because it's inflicting a completely English language-centric problem (an erroneously-perceived lack of gender neutral pronouns) on a population group that primarily speaks Spanish, a language with intrinsic grammatical genders, it's loving linguistic imperialism

Wikipedia has a section on the history of the term "peopke of color" and the amswer may surprise you! :wiggle:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
the tech worker living in a San Jose exurb on an H1B and a black family gentrified out of Harlem have a strong feeling of solidarity with each other, this is undeniable and not at all reductionist and condescending

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

being a woman and not being in the monolithic racial power group create excellent conditions for wokeness

Atrocious Joe posted:

Teen Vogue is cool

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

being nonwhite makes you inherently better to speaking truth to power, this isn't a completely hosed up viewpoint at all

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

ok good, it's not just me. i have no idea when and why the term "nonwhite" fell out of favor, but using "person of color" as a term of empowerment rubs me the wrong way. in addition to what you said, it's a stone's throw away from being "colored person" (a term that i heard someone actually use during a Q&A, no joke)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
this is an awesome avenue for the 'laugh at people who think buying cereal makes them woke revolutionaries' thread to go down!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

devtesla posted:

It sounds like the only person who got fired for this was the least responsible for whatever the gently caress happened.

Welcome to capitalism.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The reason folks don't want to use nonwhite is that the term implies that white is the default. "People of Color" is fine, lol.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: tired me wants to ask, but morning me will regret it

Subjunctive has issued a correction as of 06:50 on Dec 12, 2016

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A man of colours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh3g9ctwEpw

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Beer commercials were weird in the 70s.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

planes love darth vader??

Tatum Girlparts posted:

this is an awesome avenue for the 'laugh at people who think buying cereal makes them woke revolutionaries' thread to go down!

idk when I was teaching sociology I'd usually just say "blacks" "whites" "latinos" etc. I strongly dislike the term poc because it implies that there are two groups "White" and "Nonwhite" with no intragroup conflict. it's just a really eurocentric way of looking at things.

sorry for making GBS threads up this thred!!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hahaah gently caress these people. gently caress them all. i usually like the post too. sucks.

you do? I'm sorry.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Beer commercials were weird in the 70s.

Everything was weird in the 70s.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

because alot of these jackoffs are probably/are well meaning paternalistic racist. they view minorities as puppies and poo poo like that and arnt responsible for any bad actions that POC individual does.

reminds me of this crazy lady.

http://www.occidentaldissent.com/2010/04/23/amanda-kijera-liberal-human-rights-activist-raped-in-haiti/

yeah poo poo site but the original is deleted.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

devtesla posted:

The reason folks don't want to use nonwhite is that the term implies that white is the default. "People of Color" is fine, lol.

Unless white people are also People of Colour then it still establishes whiteness as the norm by creating special linguistic rules to describe everyone who isn't white.

It's an affectation to show how savvy you are (ie. virtue signalling).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've made the horrible mistake of reading a D_S post and clicking on the link.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

yeah baby i'm allergic to latinx i can't use condoms

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

the trump tutelage posted:

It's an affectation to show how savvy you are (ie. virtue signalling).

This is true, but it's a bizarre leap from that to "this word is super racist".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

devtesla posted:

This is true, but it's a bizarre leap from that to "this word is super racist".

yeah i know the site is racist gently caress sticks. i am pissed that i couldnt find the original blog post. sorry about that.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

devtesla posted:

there is literally no difference and it still implies white is the default

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, when the origins of the modern use of 'person of color' are guys like Frantz Fanon trying to use it as a more general version of MLK's 'citizens of color' it's kinda weird to argue that it's actually a racist term used by white people to patronize minorities.

Latinx is a bit more murky but its biggest problem is it's specialized language that was made general by well meaning allies. It started off in queer communities, mainly used by latino/latina members of them. It was never really that much 'virtue signaling' but hey who am I to argue the actual history of those terms with the dude who posts an article about a woman being raped and not abandoning her mission in Haiti because of it as an example of white people seeing minorities as dumb puppies?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Like a lot of race theory, "it's only racist and/or incoherent if a white person says it" is in ellipses.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean, when the origins of the modern use of 'person of color' are guys like Frantz Fanon trying to use it as a more general version of MLK's 'citizens of color' it's kinda weird to argue that it's actually a racist term used by white people to patronize minorities.

I don't think "people of color" is racist, I think it sounds really condescending and does nothing to actually address the problem its supposed to solve.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Heaven Spacey posted:

planes love darth vader??

"Peace. Love. Linux."

IBM ran a "street art" campaign around downtown Chicago around '02 to promote their migration to open source software platforms. Really pissed the city off.

As per the "people of color" debate. Yea, you should be asking individuals what they prefer to be called if it's appropriate toward the conversation, but it's deffo the phrase I hear to describe non-white, as in groups that haven't been absorbed into the cultural "whiteness," that has the most affinity and solidarity for the broader race based issues. If anyone talking has a personal problem with personally being labeled a person of color, say so!

on topic:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I don't think "people of color" is racist, I think it sounds really condescending and does nothing to actually address the problem its supposed to solve.

I don't think the white bro anti racist collective coined the term.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so has the DUMPSTARWARS bullshit blown into anything yet, because i am sure that will be the new battleground between the nazis and the WOKES.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so has the DUMPSTARWARS bullshit blown into anything yet, because i am sure that will be the new battleground between the nazis and the WOKES.

Much less than the poo poo around Force Awakens had it seems.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Much less than the poo poo around Force Awakens had it seems.

thats what i have seeing. some nazis are bullshiting it around and a bunch of WOKE-offs are trying to make it into something bigger. but nothing really.
https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/808384921215504385
he isnt even fully wrong but like someone said ealier, the karl rove bullshit the left pushes now with "everything is political and it must fit MY politics and no one else" is stupid, sure its true, everything has politics themes messages but people dont want to go to movies/media to be always propagandized at. idk its dumb. when people say they dont want politics(least the smart ones) in their entertainment, they dont want it jammed down their throats so some clown can feel good. star wars never does that so that pisses people like him and others off. and the alt right gets pissed because minorities and women in lead roles.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 23:39 on Dec 12, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats what i have seeing. some nazis are bullshiting it around and a bunch of WOKE-offs are trying to make it into something bigger. but nothing really.

pretty much.It's a loss for both sides. There's not a ton of grandstanding to do about a movie that everyone's gonna see anyway. You can't really show off your progressive cred by buying the same ticket a poo poo ton of other people who don't give a poo poo are and the types of people who think someone saying 'yea it's a cool story about a diverse group taking down an oppressive empire' is offensive are exactly the kinds of guys no one wants to see a movie with anyway so their boycott is just farting on the internet.

e: yea, the movie seems exactly as political as every other star wars movie, which is to say it'll probably have the message of 'oppressive empires are bad, fighting them is a good thing to do' and not explore that much deeper. If you wanna go deep in the nerd weeds the side stuff like that Rebels show and the comics have done some neat one offs exploring poo poo like 'dude I'm a Stormtrooper who got drafted when my planet got taken over I'm not wild about this either but I can't do much' and 'the empire's biggest lasting damage was the complete destruction of native cultures and blowing up a death star doesn't undo years of oppression'. The main movies have always been escapism over deep political statements and that's fine.

sexpig by night has issued a correction as of 23:41 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

pretty much.It's a loss for both sides. There's not a ton of grandstanding to do about a movie that everyone's gonna see anyway. You can't really show off your progressive cred by buying the same ticket a poo poo ton of other people who don't give a poo poo are and the types of people who think someone saying 'yea it's a cool story about a diverse group taking down an oppressive empire' is offensive are exactly the kinds of guys no one wants to see a movie with anyway so their boycott is just farting on the internet.

nerds(even lefty ones like me and my friends) arnt seeing it for some rainbow brigade progressive badge bullshit, we are seeing it so we can watch darth vader slaughter a bunch of fuckers including hopefully some main character. no one in this movie will be around for the sequels and yeah no poo poo it will be the same, but the WOKEoff brigade is looking for "deep" poo poo and i am sure they will get "triggered" by something, probably because its too violent or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 23:46 on Dec 12, 2016