Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you go to SEA and die in a motorcycle accident you deserve it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

Oh and yeah traffic is insane and in taxis or busses prepare to sit a little while in the cities.

I want to stress that it's normal to still just wait it out in a taxi in the major cities in SEA. The motorcycle is usually for when you're in a little town or on an island. Someone with zero experience could probably do fine if they stuck to this plan, but if someone with zero experience tried to ride around KL or Bangkok they're running a really high risk.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
if you do ride please don't ride after drinking like 12 beers like some people i know

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
https://www.farang-deaths.com appreciates your dedication.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Pirate Radar posted:

You don't need a motorcycle to get anywhere, people just like the adventure of riding around fairly rugged, beautiful places on bikes. And you can rent one for peanuts without any more of an interrogation than "Do you know how?"
If that. I rented my first ever motorbike in Philippines (don't worry, it was in a small town), and the guy wasn't the least bit surprised nor protested when I said "... can you show me how it works?". He then pointed and showed me gas, brake, gear, horn, etc. Funny.

I also want to add that the vast majority of "motorbikes" people ride over there are small 125-150cc bikes, for example a Honda XRM. Very few people ride the big, powerful 500-1000cc bikes we do in the West. Those are expensive, big, heavy, likely to get stolen, and you can't utilize their power anyway, particularly in some countries that don't have a single mile of motorway.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

caberham posted:

If you go to SEA and die in a motorcycle accident you deserve it

A little extreme?

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

Yep. This. There are busses, taxis, random dudes on motorcycles or other transports that will take you almost anywhere. Prepare to haggle a bit though.

I will say that going over with 0 riding experience of any kind would be slightly suicidal. Even with a few years under my belt I had to learn how to ride all over again there. It's just different. Cheap as gently caress though. Don't park alone.

Oh and yeah traffic is insane and in taxis or busses prepare to sit a little while in the cities.

Why don't park alone? Because your bike will get stolen?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I thought Chiang Mai was cheap but Hoi An is teaching me a new level of tight-fisted pleasure. Hail SEAtan.

Bring an umbrella tho.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm extremmmmmeeeee

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

simplefish posted:

A little extreme?

Why don't park alone? Because your bike will get stolen?

Yup. In Vietnam at least. I meant to park it with other bikes, or in a motorbike park.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

I want to stress that it's normal to still just wait it out in a taxi in the major cities in SEA. The motorcycle is usually for when you're in a little town or on an island. Someone with zero experience could probably do fine if they stuck to this plan, but if someone with zero experience tried to ride around KL or Bangkok they're running a really high risk.
For little towns and islands, how about bikes (as in bicycles)? Is it common to see these for rent? I've literally never touched the handlebars of a motorcycle or moped in my life, but 20+ mile bike rides are nbd.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah when I stayed in Hoi An all the hostels had free bicycle rentals.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

For little towns and islands, how about bikes (as in bicycles)? Is it common to see these for rent? I've literally never touched the handlebars of a motorcycle or moped in my life, but 20+ mile bike rides are nbd.

It's a trillion degrees outside riding a bike sucks dick

The "motorcycles" in SEA are mostly twist and go affairs. There's no clutch to work, nothing. It's the same as a bicycle but you can go 60mph by twisting your wrist instead of straining your legs in a superhuman fashion. People usually get in trouble because they're either drunk or not used to taking corners at 25mph on their bicycle on a sandy road.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Yeah, that's what I went with most of the time and they have those too. Works as long as you're not in a mixed group obviously, I can't keep up with people on scooters but it's a lot safer. Chiang Mai was lovely to bike around. Keep your head on a swivel, obviously.

Yeah, it's hot, but if I let that stop me I wouldn't have done anything in Thailand. Drink lots of water.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, that's what I went with most of the time and they have those too. Works as long as you're not in a mixed group obviously, I can't keep up with people on scooters but it's a lot safer. Chiang Mai was lovely to bike around. Keep your head on a swivel, obviously.

Yeah, it's hot, but if I let that stop me I wouldn't have done anything in Thailand. Drink lots of water.

Bicycles are loving awesome for travel out and around small islands. I did it in Chiang Mai too, and it wasn't awful. Just pay attention and drink tons of water. Bike out to Baan Kang Wat, the little artist village out there. Nice little ride.

Just don't end up drunk biking home at 5 AM on the SUPERHIGHWAY. But if you do, send a picture so I can vicariously re-live my own idiocy. A++++++++ would bike again khap

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Cool. I've lived mostly in Florida and Texas, so cycling in boiling heat on little to no bike infrastructure while surrounded by clueless drivers is pretty much my MO. I'll be right at home.

That said, Sheep-goats, if driving a mo-ped is that easy maybe I can learn while I'm there.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I made some posts in here about it before but for the most part you just sit on the thing, turn the key, and operate the throttle. They have real motorbikes in Thailand too and a few of the scooters have a manual shift system that is clutchless (you just operate a pedal with your foot to move through the gears in increments) but most are fully automatic, especially those rented to foreigners.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bikes are useful outside of those limited situations: I met a french canadian who had bicycled across Laos and Thailand, nbd, just sleep in hammocks you find at the side of the road. He had decided to send it home and walk from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.

I was impressed, yet completely unenvious.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
At Bagan in Myanmar we hired electric bikes which were just electric Vespas, basically. They were awesome and a great way to get around! Helps that there's gently caress all traffic in Myanmar though

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I don't think a bicycle is much safer than a motorbike, assuming you don't drive recklessly fast on the latter. Whether you're on a bicycle or a motorbike, the injury from another vehicle hitting you is about the same.

Drive slowly and act like you're home (or in a country with good motoring etiquette...) with regards to giving way and looking before you turn, change lanes, all that.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
One thing to bear in mind is that use of a bicycle is probably covered by your travel insurance, where as if you don't have a licence to drive a moped at home, then your insurance probably doesn't cover you for any injuries you cause to other people, or yourself. I have ridden around on bicycles in Thai heat with no problems before. Pro-tip - always remember whether you're on a moped or a bike to check how functional the brakes are before you need to use them!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Cool. I've lived mostly in Florida and Texas, so cycling in boiling heat on little to no bike infrastructure while surrounded by clueless drivers is pretty much my MO. I'll be right at home.

That said, Sheep-goats, if driving a mo-ped is that easy maybe I can learn while I'm there.
I'm from Guff Coast Texas and spent years biking around town here as my primary form of transport, it's not so bad and pretty entertaining, but I'd recommend bringing a fresh air regulator of some kind from home as the pollution at street level is unbelievable (bring one for me plz forgot oops). I did finally have an accident, but, while there were a couple of contributing factors that weren't me, it was basically me being slightly too aggressive at a confusing 6 way intersection that was the primary cause. People say it's incredibly dangerous and so on, but I have to say that it really doesn't feel like it, just err on the side of caution, I guess, so you don't end up with a broken wrist in a cast for 3 months, heh.

Actually, I plan to grab a new bike this month and get started again. I usually use Saengthong up in Nonthaburi, but I may check options since cycling has exploded in the last couple of years and Saengthong is very busy and not as attentive as before - though, note that roadies are the preferred Thai bike and therefore international grade mountain bikes are, while not hard to find in Bangkok, much less popular - especially if you ride a 21"+ frame like I do (and make sure to grab at least one extra wheel and a couple of extra tubes and keep them, because finding int'l size wheels and tubes for mountain bikes is actually tough, and often impossible outside major cities).

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 4, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Two weeks until my third trip to Thailand :toot: Whole family's coming to, super-pumped for them since none of them have been there.

Pug Smugly
Apr 5, 2011
Heading to Vietnam in two weeks. Saigon --> Hoi An -->Hanoi over 2ish weeks.
Anything I should know before I go?
I know Thailand fairly well so feel free to use that as a comparison.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Great photojournalism work from the Times in Duterte's extrajudicial killings:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/07/world/asia/rodrigo-duterte-philippines-drugs-killings.html

Pretty slick interface on the site too

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Pug Smugly posted:

Heading to Vietnam in two weeks. Saigon --> Hoi An -->Hanoi over 2ish weeks.
Anything I should know before I go?
I know Thailand fairly well so feel free to use that as a comparison.

I did exactly that a couple weeks ago after a month volunteering in Saigon.

- If you can find some time, spend a day at one of the Buddhist orphanages in Saigon. They're pretty easy to find and need all the help they can get. No paperwork required and it's nice to help out.

- Definitely visit Da Lat and do the Secret Tour. I lost the business card but you can book it through Tay Backpackers Hostel. I mention this because there's a lovely copycat tour. It's meant to be "secret" because the guy who operates it is the only person authorised to take tourists through the highland villages, or so he says anyway. It was a great look at some historic/village industry and we spent a couple hours talking to highland villagers. Canyoning booked through Tay Backpackers was excellent too, and only $33USD for the day. Artists Alley is the best food place in the south end of Vietnam.

- I missed out on Sapa but everyone I met loved it.

- If you're into partying the original Castaways out of Hanoi is the best Ha Long Bay party cruise. Expect to be drunk three days straight. I don't drink but went because it was the only tour that offered anything approaching adrenaline sports (tube, rock climbing, wakeboarding) and had a pretty good time despite. The rooms on the island are pretty bad, but you're only meant to sleep in them.

PM me if you want more, I stopped at the usual places along the way and the trip is still pretty fresh in my mind (10 days in Beijing didn't fully counteract how great Vietnam was. It tried.)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

jizzy sillage posted:

I did exactly that a couple weeks ago after a month volunteering in Saigon.

- If you can find some time, spend a day at one of the Buddhist orphanages in Saigon. They're pretty easy to find and need all the help they can get. No paperwork required and it's nice to help out.

- Definitely visit Da Lat and do the Secret Tour. I lost the business card but you can book it through Tay Backpackers Hostel. I mention this because there's a lovely copycat tour. It's meant to be "secret" because the guy who operates it is the only person authorised to take tourists through the highland villages, or so he says anyway. It was a great look at some historic/village industry and we spent a couple hours talking to highland villagers. Canyoning booked through Tay Backpackers was excellent too, and only $33USD for the day. Artists Alley is the best food place in the south end of Vietnam.

- I missed out on Sapa but everyone I met loved it.

- If you're into partying the original Castaways out of Hanoi is the best Ha Long Bay party cruise. Expect to be drunk three days straight. I don't drink but went because it was the only tour that offered anything approaching adrenaline sports (tube, rock climbing, wakeboarding) and had a pretty good time despite. The rooms on the island are pretty bad, but you're only meant to sleep in them.

PM me if you want more, I stopped at the usual places along the way and the trip is still pretty fresh in my mind (10 days in Beijing didn't fully counteract how great Vietnam was. It tried.)

Dear future me, Vietnam travel advice in this post. Have fun!
-present me(you?)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/07/world/asia/rodrigo-duterte-philippines-drugs-killings.html

A friend pointed it out when I sent this to him yesterday - "Same Thaksin." Then I was like, "Oh poo poo, right."

It helps to have punitive defamation and libel/slander laws along with a self-censored "press" in a place with little broad Western influence in things like journalism in a language no one else reads, writes or speaks, heh.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

A friend pointed it out when I sent this to him yesterday - "Same Thaksin." Then I was like, "Oh poo poo, right."

It helps to have punitive defamation and libel/slander laws along with a self-censored "press" in a place with little broad Western influence in things like journalism in a language no one else reads, writes or speaks, heh.

Yeah man.

Glad I wasn't born poor in SEA...

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So I think I have come down to to choices for the last three days of my trip later this month:

Singapore:
Day 1: Fly BKK to SIN, DEP 9:45AM, ARR 1:15PM. Spend day hanging around Singapore.
Day 2: full day doing poo poo (eating) in Singapore, night at the Marina Bay Sands.
Day 3: Fly SIN to BKK, DEP 4PM, ARR 5:30PM.

Phuket:
Day 1: Fly to Phuket in the morning, go to some luxury resort.
Day 2: Hang out at beach resort, maybe go to town.
Day 3: Fly back to BKK mid-afternoon.

I haven't been to Phuket before, though we are going to be in Rai Leh for four days earlier in the trip. I have been to Singapore three times before, but always enjoy myself there (it is one of my favorite cities). My girlfriend hasn't been to either.

Thoughts? I am leaning towards Singapore, but we are here in season to go to Phuket. I know you guys like to bash Phuket, but I don't know if that is due to "i'm a traveler, not a tourist" tendency. I kind of want to just relax and enjoy myself in a comfortable setting.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Cheesemaster200 posted:

(it is one of my favorite cities)
what

Is Hong Kong not an option for some reason? Heh. It's the real Hong Kong, not the EPCOT version.

Between those two it's tough, but coming out of Thailand I'd probably choose Singapore just for the mundanity and first-worldishness, which is a nice break from the chaos here in Bangkok. On a random weekend I might choose Phuket, but I always prefer Phuket Town and rarely even see the ocean except flying in and out. Phuket Town is the only thing worth a poo poo on the entire island and the food is fantastic and very different from up here. Still, probably more of the time I'd say Singapore.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

man luang prabang is such a nice place

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

As an after nice things activity: Go grab a cocktail with Lisa at Icon Klub.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

If you don't mind spending a western amount on dinner, we had a fantastic meal at Tangor on the Main Street just near where the markets begin. Also recommend Joma Bakery Cafe on the other side opposite the river.

Such a chill little town though, enjoy!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I used to love getting the Thai version of these things when I was upcountry in Thailand, usually for sale at little roadside stalls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuxlo9xkS5Y

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ReindeerF posted:

what

Is Hong Kong not an option for some reason? Heh. It's the real Hong Kong, not the EPCOT version.

Between those two it's tough, but coming out of Thailand I'd probably choose Singapore just for the mundanity and first-worldishness, which is a nice break from the chaos here in Bangkok. On a random weekend I might choose Phuket, but I always prefer Phuket Town and rarely even see the ocean except flying in and out. Phuket Town is the only thing worth a poo poo on the entire island and the food is fantastic and very different from up here. Still, probably more of the time I'd say Singapore.

We just spent 3-4 days in Hong Kong in the beginning of August at the end of our circuit through mainland China. I love Hong Kong too, but I want to keep it in SE Asia.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Sheep-Goats posted:

So hosed up. :(

You'd think the USA drug penalty scheme, aka. putting people to jail for 20 years for a bag of loving crack, was the peak of insanity, but no.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Seasons Greetings from cebu_loverboy!
https://youtu.be/lQAQRClaSNA
(Terrible Christmas medley)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm planning on being in Thailand during Song Kran. Is it going to be lame this year because of the king dying? I thought that because it will have been so long that people will be ready to let loose but since the "mourning" is supposed to go on for a year, then perhaps not. Will they even let it happen?

Seems like Bangkok must kinda suck right now.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you're not Thai then things are 100% normal except that you really need to wear "polite colors" - black, white, grey, dark blue, etc. By April I think the initial 3 month super-mourning period will have lapsed and Songkran, just my guess, will be normal. It's not possible to say 100%, because there's a bit of a weird sociological thing attached to this where no one wants to be the first to be seen not obeying the mourning norms, and when someone does they occasionally get stuck in a Thai language social media witch hunt, which means that society is self-regulating and not always following some exact rule. Makes things a bit unpredictable.

Still, I think by Songkran things will be relatively normal and, like I say, other than the clothing it's all totally normal now. Tourists don't even pay attention to that, especially backpackers, and Thai people don't really care. It's best not to stick out, but we're not considered to have skin in this game, so when we don't follow the norms, as long as you're not rubbing anyone's nose in anything, we're ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was under the impression that there would be no official Songkran events this year. I imagine if you are down by KhaoSahn Road that it will still be a backpacker battle royale, but I suspect that they won't be shutting down Silom this year like they have in the past. I could be totally wrong though.