Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

posters in this very forum think its normal for questions like that to be in standard interviews at McAppHouse.

and also, how do ppl expect someone to learn the language if you have to know everything about it before you can work on anything where it's relevant?

the same way you learn everything else in programming: you spend a lot of your time working for free on non-work projects to advance your knowledge because on-the-job training basically isn't a thing

or if you don't like getting hosed by the man, get a job where c++ knowledge is useful by not critical. we've had decent luck with hiring people with zero c++ knowledge to work on our obj-c++ and java-with-lots-of--jni-wrappers-for-c++-stuff codebases with the expectation that they'll start with working on things that only require superficially touching the c++

i am always amused in a depressed sort of way at how it seems to be basically guaranteed that the first line of c++ someone writes will contain a memory leak, and the second will contain a gratuitous shared_ptr. sometimes the gratuitous shared_ptr has a memory leak too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Plorkyeran posted:

but then your code won't compile on platforms where CHAR_BIT isn't 8

Even better, uint8_t doesnt share uchars guarantees (allowed to alias, etc), so it might or might not be correct. :v:

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
got my first internship at an aerospace company this summer, and next semester I'll be starting an undergrad research position doing graphics front ends for big/fat/overweight data visualizations.

and I still don't know a loving thing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

when u think about it, does anybody really know anything?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

fart simpson posted:

/

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Soricidus posted:

maybe they'd have used the word constant if they had meant constant, instead of using a vaguely similar word to indicate a vaguely similar concept?

next let's discuss how dumb it is that the char type doesn't have anything to do with burning, cleaning, or fish

You mean the way that it's nothing to do with the word "Character"?

Maybe the word "Const" isn't a shortening of the word "Constant", or maybe it is. I'm tending towards the explanation that involves them being english words rather than completely random series of characters that just happen to coincide with words.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 12, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

you have a "lead you array" that I think is supposed to be "astray"
I'm not a fan of the many parentheticals but I guess medium doesn't have footnotes

it's a good article. the overall idea (gender and sex as proxies) deserves to be spread more. your other points ("just trying to help" and "machine learning") are a little weak and I'd either omit them or develop them more (one seems an intractable problem as it's presented, the other doesn't make as strong a case as it, imo, should)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Plorkyeran posted:

but then your code won't compile on platforms where CHAR_BIT isn't 8

yes, please keep your libraries buildable with Zeta-C and Symbolics C

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

/

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

fart simpson posted:

no imho

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

c tp s: i was just reading about how "CLRS is a great algorithms resource and reference" and i was all "the gently caress is that?" after googling it i realize that i already own it because it was on the list for one of my cs classes but i never even opened it lol

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
clrs is really tedious though

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Spent more time than I should've during standup today explaining how terrible wysiwyg editors are and how awful it is to support "paste from word" functionality.

So, now I need to find a wysiwyg editor but every single one I look at has something abjectly horrible about it. I don't even know which one to pick.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

What the gently caress for

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The one on Wikipedia is not that terrible, although rather slow to start.

I recall seeing a draft standard in W3C for one, idk.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 12, 2016

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
c tp s: blocking on IT kill me now :suicide:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Symbolic Butt posted:

clrs is really tedious though

now imagine your prof teaches in the same way the book is written lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
c tp s: our horrifying shebboleth of a framework can't do anything in a simple and direct way and i am probably going to blow this deadline because the "architects" can't be arsed to answer questions in a timely fashion.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

AggressivelyStupid posted:

What the gently caress for

because product manager wants one and what he wants he gets

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

c tp s: our horrifying shebboleth of a framework can't do anything in a simple and direct way and i am probably going to blow this deadline because the "architects" can't be arsed to answer questions in a timely fashion.

I would rather roll my own crypto than my own web framework

Eventually every homegrown web framework inevitably does their own crypto anyway

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

gonadic io posted:

I would rather roll my own crypto than my own web framework

Eventually every homegrown web framework inevitably does their own crypto anyway

both are a bad idea, but at least crypto is fun to write. webdev is soul destroying.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Finster Dexter posted:

Spent more time than I should've during standup today explaining how terrible wysiwyg editors are and how awful it is to support "paste from word" functionality.

So, now I need to find a wysiwyg editor but every single one I look at has something abjectly horrible about it. I don't even know which one to pick.

Ive used this one a bunch of times in the past http://ckeditor.com/

Its kinda easy to use and pretty configurable

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Soricidus posted:

both are a bad idea, but at least crypto is fun to write. webdev is soul destroying.

:yeah:

INTERNET EXPLORER!!! :argh:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ive used this one a bunch of times in the past http://ckeditor.com/

Its kinda easy to use and pretty configurable

Wow, FckEditor sure cleans up nice

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

*puts on "well, actually" hat*

this word doesn't mean what you think it means :v:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sapozhnik posted:

*puts on "well, actually" hat*

this word doesn't mean what you think it means :v:

you're thinking of shibboleth. a shebboleth is of course one of the thousandfold spawn of shub-niggurath and an apt comparison for most frameworks.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

lmao it's actuallys all the way down.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i've had to use one of their frameworks for something before and really it was a simple as adding an #include and updating my POM. not really that horrifying :v:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
c tp s 2: since the previous status, i have accomplished nothing and gotten no useful answers from anybody. my boss still wants a prototype on friday.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

current terrible programmer status: extern char *turds and extern char turds[] are not equivalent

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Luigi Thirty posted:

current terrible programmer status: extern char *turds and extern char turds[] are not equivalent

c and its descendants are all really good

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
today i got blocked on 3 separate tickets

spent the afternoon not doing anything

feels good

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

quiggy posted:

c and its descendants are all really good

now, I know this is intended to be a safe space for terrible programmers and their opinions, but

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

'course not. one's a pointer and one's an array. that tends to decay to a pointer most of the time. maybe. how could you possibly assume that they are the same thing, especially when adding linkage garbage into the mix? you have no one to blame but yourself

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol I thought arrays were literally just syntactic sugar for pointers (which was why bullshit like 1[foo] even works)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fun fact: amigados is written in BCPL

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

lol I thought arrays were literally just syntactic sugar for pointers (which was why bullshit like 1[foo] even works)

actually,

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Bloody posted:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
arrays aren't even syntactic sugar for themselves

C code:
void test(int arr1[10]) {
	int arr2[10];
	printf("%d\n", sizeof arr1); // 8
	printf("%d\n", sizeof arr2); // 40
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i wasted an hour figuring out why my graphics weren't working but once i figured that out it all worked lol

now i have interleaved bitplane graphics so i can draw my little 16x16 tiles with one blitter operation instead of 4 :toot:

• Locked thread