Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

kingturnip posted:

Is there some reason I don't have any Advisor slots as an Emperor, or could it be because I've avoided Empowering the Council?

That's because a real emperor doesn't need advisors.

Totally unrelated but does your character have the Proud trait?

I... don't think that affects it, but it's good to make sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kingturnip posted:

could it be because I've avoided Empowering the Council?

Yes.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Bit of a marathon session today, I must say.

I've just found a great way to get rid of rubbish heirs and meddlesome vassals - appoint them Spymaster and send them to check out the technology in Constantinople... which is currently being ravaged by the Black Death.

Good luck! :skeltal:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Finally got more than 50 years into a game. It's about 1250, and as King of Castille, Leon, Galcia, Navarre and probably other stuff I'm forgetting, I formed the Empire of Castille. Should I hang out king titles, wait until I can stack the council enough to allow me to vote in viceroyalties, or hang on to the kingdom titles myself?

It depends on a few factors. If you're at your vassal limit, I'd say hand out a few king level titles to make it easier on yourself. Additionally, get rid of really small King level titles, like the Kingdom of Navarre because it all does is engender the hatred of a duke level vassal.

One thing I'd recommend you do before handing out titles is north korea mode your entire empire, clean out anybody with a claim on a kingdom level titles (this happens), and then give the king level titles to distant members of your dynasty tree (bastards).

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

What does the advisor spot actually do? I've just been using it as a way to satisfy a vassal that's strong enough to expect a position but too incompetent to actually be trusted with anything.

Or is that exactly what it's for?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

What does the advisor spot actually do? I've just been using it as a way to satisfy a vassal that's strong enough to expect a position but too incompetent to actually be trusted with anything.

that or a yesman

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Or you could use it to put another Loyalist on the Council, which is useful if you want to pass unpopular votes without bribing everyone.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Vengarr posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Or you could use it to put another Loyalist on the Council, which is useful if you want to pass unpopular votes without bribing everyone.

Is there a way to see what attitude a person will have before appointing them?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is there a way to see what attitude a person will have before appointing them?

No, but if they have a very high opinion of you without bribes, if they're content or trusting, or if they're a friend or dynasty member, they're more likely to be a loyalist. Content is probably the best trait to look for in a yes-man.
You can see how council stances are decided here http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Council_vote

Pakled fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 12, 2016

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am still finding the council system very opaque, at the moment I am playing as an Earl of Scotland and my Council is about to be filled with my sons who all totally love my successor, who is my oldest son. Each has been trained from birth to fulfil a particular role in the council and carefully checked to make sure they aren't ambitious. Is this a dumb idea?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Phrosphor posted:

I am still finding the council system very opaque, at the moment I am playing as an Earl of Scotland and my Council is about to be filled with my sons who all totally love my successor, who is my oldest son. Each has been trained from birth to fulfil a particular role in the council and carefully checked to make sure they aren't ambitious. Is this a dumb idea?

Yes because once your son inherits they will become claimants to his poo poo and will hate him.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes because once your son inherits they will become claimants to his poo poo and will hate him.

Aha, some fun years ahead then!

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 12, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So my Berber Pirates of Krete game has been going pretty good. Had something interesting just pop up though, when Italy went Jewish. That happened last time I played, I thought they'd actually converted back to Catholic, but I guess not. Around 920 or so I got the message about the Crusades firing off, and it was against Italy. Not too surprising, I figured, and went about raiding poo poo (I popped up to England to help out an Anglo-Norse Jorvik against an Anglo-Saxon revolt for shits and giggles). Well I saved and was quitting, and in that bit after hitting quit but before the game actually closed, I looked up and saw that the reason they were going after Italy was because Italy had grabbed all of Germany. Yup, that'll do it guys.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
New DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-34-facts-about-artifacts-real-talk-about-relics.988111/

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
"...this system allows items to be inheritable and stealable", ooooo.

(Although what I want most of all is a release date...)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

:stare:

It's like this expansion is specifically designed to open up cool possibilities for fantasy mods.

You know what could be a cool use for this? Capturing the royal regalia during a succession crisis and using them to bolster your claim.

Actually, more and more I'm wishing CK2 had a more involved succession process, rather than just having the first in line immediately take over. A couple of months between the death and the coronation, where the heir apparent can be confirmed or contested by other claimants. A system where the khans actually have to turn their poo poo around and march back to Karakorum in order to cast lots. An election process where you can make deals and buy votes specifically for that election. etc.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The next step will be procedurally generated books, right?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kennel posted:

The next step will be procedurally generated books, right?

God I hope so

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Autonomous Monster posted:

It's like this expansion is specifically designed to open up cool possibilities for fantasy mods.

You know what could be a cool use for this? Capturing the royal regalia during a succession crisis and using them to bolster your claim.

Actually, more and more I'm wishing CK2 had a more involved succession process, rather than just having the first in line immediately take over. A couple of months between the death and the coronation, where the heir apparent can be confirmed or contested by other claimants. A system where the khans actually have to turn their poo poo around and march back to Karakorum in order to cast lots. An election process where you can make deals and buy votes specifically for that election. etc.

Yeah like, just to think of an example from CK2's time period, the Hungarian Interregnum of the 14th century saw like three different claimants to the throne, and ownership of the physical Crown of St. Stephen was a big deal and as it transferred between claimants it bolstered their claims.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Pakled posted:

Yeah like, just to think of an example from CK2's time period, the Hungarian Interregnum of the 14th century saw like three different claimants to the throne, and ownership of the physical Crown of St. Stephen was a big deal and as it transferred between claimants it bolstered their claims.

Does the game even have the ability to handle a title without an owner?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Not really. But I don't think it would be hard to have an event fire on a character's death where a pretender takes one of the crown jewels and it gives him a boost to his faction strength.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 13, 2016

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Owning a Crown Jewel for a title that you don't control should allow you to press Weak Claims on it when you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Cue the elaborate jewel heist intrigue event chain...

Oceans 1166

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Autonomous Monster posted:

CK2+ has a system like this. Can't remember precisely how it works but I think you're at least open to weak k_ claims until you get coronated.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I have a game going right now where I rolled an irish chieftan w/ the earliest start who was a genius + a bunch of non fertility related negatives like insane, possessed, etc so he'd still be a young dude. I did my thing, made the rest of ireland into tributaries, took one province to form the petty kingdom of mide, and with a genius wife (got a great deal in the wife store because she had syphilis) and a full stable of concubines collected in my campaigns across ireland I produced 3 genius heirs. I'm on the fourth generation now, a genius king whose council is stacked with geniuses, where everyone of import was educated by a genius even if they missed the good genes. Ireland was happily unified and feudal by 908 without a single succession crisis or murdered tanist, and this was all made possible by a visionary werewolf with a horse, a woman and a jew on his council.

Now it falls to the Irish ubermensch to save europe:

if only we had more than 5 boats

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 13, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hi, getting back into Crusader Kings after briefly touching it ages ago. Is there anywhere that does a brief run down of the types of claims you put together. Also how to determine if your going to get the province afterwards, its still a bit random from my point of view if im fighting to back a claim, win and then its just installs someone else as the new ruler of it rather than it becoming my vassal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Claims are either weak or strong. Weak means the target title must be in crisis and held by a child or woman. Strong can be pressed anytime except for some weird edge cases.

Claims are either inheritable or uninheritable. Some uninheritable claims become inheritable if pressed to white peace. Inheriting goes to kids regardless of succession laws.

Most importantly, claims are held just like titles. Claims you hold and press for yourself grant you the title. Claims held by dynasty members that you press will become your vassal if you hold a title greater than the pressed one; for example if you are a duke and press a dynasty member to a count or if you are king and press a dynasty member to a duke. Claims held by courtiers will only become your vassal if its within de jure territory of a title you hold, which means its an alternative to a de jure claim cassus belli you already have.

De jure claims are cases where dukes or kings or emperors can declare war to bring a lesser titled noble into their fold because of the association of their title with a higher ranking title. Pressing these bring the noble you just finished warring against in as a vassal instead of giving you the title for yourself.

e. Oh I forgot the actual useful case when you press a claim for someone unrelated to you in your realm. IIRC if they are already your vassal and the claim is below your highest title rank they will remain in your realm with the new land.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 13, 2016

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

e: nm

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 13, 2016

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

zedprime posted:

De jure claims are cases where dukes or kings or emperors can declare war to bring a lesser titled noble into their fold because of the association of their title with a higher ranking title. Pressing these bring the noble you just finished warring against in as a vassal instead of giving you the title for yourself.
Not quite. AFAIK de jure claims are only at the county level, so you can vassalize a single count, or usurp a single county, but the de jure CB can't vassalize a duke or multicount.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

zedprime posted:

Claims are either weak or strong. Weak means the target title must be in crisis and held by a child or woman. Strong can be pressed anytime except for some weird edge cases.

Claims are either inheritable or uninheritable. Some uninheritable claims become inheritable if pressed to white peace. Inheriting goes to kids regardless of succession laws.

Most importantly, claims are held just like titles. Claims you hold and press for yourself grant you the title. Claims held by dynasty members that you press will become your vassal if you hold a title greater than the pressed one; for example if you are a duke and press a dynasty member to a count or if you are king and press a dynasty member to a duke. Claims held by courtiers will only become your vassal if its within de jure territory of a title you hold, which means its an alternative to a de jure claim cassus belli you already have.

e. Oh I forgot the actual useful case when you press a claim for someone unrelated to you in your realm. IIRC if they are already your vassal and the claim is below your highest title rank they will remain in your realm with the new land.

Thank a lot! So the idea should be if i've invited someone to my court to get territory I need to give them land or something and then try and press the claim to have everything roll back into my realm (assuming they are below me).

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Various Meat Products posted:

You know you could have just used the Become King ambition and subjugated the entire island in like 15 or 20 years.

Catholics don't get the infinite subjugation CBs that pagans do with that ambition.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

uPen posted:

Catholics don't get the infinite subjugation CBs that pagans do with that ambition.

Bah. Catholics are so lame.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

kingcom posted:

Thank a lot! So the idea should be if i've invited someone to my court to get territory I need to give them land or something and then try and press the claim to have everything roll back into my realm (assuming they are below me).
Yes, and also it doesn't matter what land you give them. If you press a vassal baron's claim on a kingdom, they'll still be your vassal. Alternatively, if they have a strong inheritable claim, you marry them to one of your dynasts, wait a generation, and press your kinsman's claim. This is, AFAIK, the best/only way to get an empire claim.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Bah. Catholics are so lame.

Extremely. Custom design a norse dude to replace whatever lame idiot you were planning on playing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

darthbob88 posted:

Not quite. AFAIK de jure claims are only at the county level, so you can vassalize a single count, or usurp a single county, but the de jure CB can't vassalize a duke or multicount.
There might be a bunch of edge cases that the system flips its poo poo and limits it. Though I thought entire multicounts and multidukes can roll in problem free if all the titles are in your title.

The moer I google the more it seems very possible I am imagining things because its all based on an an Ireland run millions of years ago.

e. yeah I think I invented most of that with wishful thinking, de jure is just a county at a time.

kingcom posted:

Stabbing after a marriage with inheritable claims is a popular method because holdings don't grow on trees and its a rare combination when you have extras to give concurrent with inviting a claimant.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 13, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

poverty goat posted:

I have a game going right now where I rolled an irish chieftan w/ the earliest start who was a genius + a bunch of non fertility related negatives like insane, possessed, etc so he'd still be a young dude. I did my thing, made the rest of ireland into tributaries, took one province to form the petty kingdom of mide, and with a genius wife (got a great deal in the wife store because she had syphilis) and a full stable of concubines collected in my campaigns across ireland I produced 3 genius heirs. I'm on the fourth generation now, a genius king whose council is stacked with geniuses, where everyone of import was educated by a genius even if they missed the good genes. Ireland was happily unified and feudal by 908 without a single succession crisis or murdered tanist, and this was all made possible by a visionary werewolf with a horse, a woman and a jew on his council.

Now it falls to the Irish ubermensch to save europe:

if only we had more than 5 boats

gently caress Europe join the party and get to smashing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Crusader Kigns 2: got a great deal in the wife store because she had syphilis

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

zedprime posted:

Stabbing after a marriage with inheritable claims is a popular method because holdings don't grow on trees and its a rare combination when you have extras to give concurrent with inviting a claimant.

Yeah I mean thats true but my england is a complete loving mess (I'll post a picture when I get home) so I don't really think getting the claims is going to be a huge thing for now. I've done the ireland -> scotland takeover so its more just a matter of doing it efficiently.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

uPen posted:

Extremely. Custom design a norse dude to replace whatever lame idiot you were planning on playing.

The game already gives you one of those. His name is Haesteinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The game already gives you one of those. His name is Haesteinn.
I will never forget that pre-Conclave Hæsteinn King of Africa run.

Rome turned into a single holding province, pre-nerf retinues when the pre-reform Ásatrúar bonus to it actually did something as my army rampaged through the Middle East and completely shattered Islam by constantly murderizing whoever was Caliph repeatedly

I subjugated Mali, for no other reason than I could and it was there, then made it into a theocracy for the same reason.

• Locked thread