Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

goodness posted:

Post your chutney recipe

it's just this one. First time making chutney, tasted pretty darn good prior to canning, hoping the flavors hold up when it's cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have no idea what this means or why this question is here

Guns With Spoons and... uh, I guess it could still be called The Firing Range

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I was watching masterchef junior, and they made these citrus cream pies. It looks like a pastry base, with a layer of some kind of set custard, then whipped cream on top. I've never eaten one before and I fancy making one, does anyone have any good recipes for one, or for something similar?

D-Rider
Dec 18, 2009
Hey guys, I have a dilemma. I found out today that I've got to prepare a dessert for a finger food shindig at work in three days. Normally I'd say gently caress YEAH and throw together some cream puffs or eclairs, but due to prior commitments (not to mention finding out about it so late), whatever I make is gonna have to be done two days in advance. I don't think cream puffs will go that long without getting soggy. Does anyone have any ideas for a simple pick up and go dessert that can hold together for a couple of days in refrigeration?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

D-Rider posted:

Hey guys, I have a dilemma. I found out today that I've got to prepare a dessert for a finger food shindig at work in three days. Normally I'd say gently caress YEAH and throw together some cream puffs or eclairs, but due to prior commitments (not to mention finding out about it so late), whatever I make is gonna have to be done two days in advance. I don't think cream puffs will go that long without getting soggy. Does anyone have any ideas for a simple pick up and go dessert that can hold together for a couple of days in refrigeration?

Lemon bars? I would flip out if someone brought lemon bars to a party.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Gerblyn posted:

I was watching masterchef junior, and they made these citrus cream pies. It looks like a pastry base, with a layer of some kind of set custard, then whipped cream on top. I've never eaten one before and I fancy making one, does anyone have any good recipes for one, or for something similar?

Google "Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe" and ignore the meringue part, just use whipped cream. You might have to fine-tune the ratio of fruit to sugar to make a good pie with oranges or limes or grapefruit or whatever vs. lemons, but the basic idea is there.

D-Rider posted:

Would cookies or bars be suitable? Something like brownies or date squares or rice-crispy squares seem like a step or two down in complexity / prestige compared to cream puffs, but a batch of brownies will last in the fridge for several days easily. I made this Cream Cheese Brownies recipe for the lab meeting / end of year party on Monday, they worked well.

EDIT: I just looked at a cream puff recipe, the final step is assembly. They'd get soggy after 2 days in the fridge because the filling will soak into the pastry. The separate parts - filling and pastry - should survive a couple of days, I think. Could you delay assembly until the last minute?

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 9, 2016

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Google "Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe" and ignore the meringue part, just use whipped cream. You might have to fine-tune the ratio of fruit to sugar to make a good pie with oranges or limes or grapefruit or whatever vs. lemons, but the basic idea is there.

The meringue is really delicious, my mother would always make meringue pies in the spring/summertime. Nice bright, sweet citrusy base with an ethereally light meringue on top and a short crust... just perfect. The meringue isn't like the cookie, it's typically still fairly wet and only a bit browned on top.

If you're thinking whipped cream you should go for it but I urge you to try meringue pies some time.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Yeah, the easiest way to separate clear-ish liquid from fermentation sludge (i.e., dead yeast) is to rack it. That's just a fancy way of saying "siphon it like you're stealing gasoline".

Hardware-store clear plastic tubing will work (get 3/8" or 1/2" tubing, about 4-feet long) or a wine/beer making shop will sell you that plus a rigid clear pipe with a black plastic thingy on the end that helps avoid sucking up too much sludge. Siphon your wine into another container that you've CLEANED. Cleaning to a wine-making standard is easy, just rinse your bucket or carboy or whatever with some dilute bleach (a generous splash into a half-gallon of water should do nicely), rinse it again with clean water, and you're good to go. Dirty equipment ruins wine. To avoid the sludge just keep the end of the siphon off of the bottom.

You can upgrade the quality of your Pruno by adding sugar only once at the beginning and racking after 12-14 days, letting it sit for another week, and racking it again.

EDIT: A decent wine filter will set you back at least $60 plus the cost of single-use filters ($3 minimum). A set of coarse filters would strip out most of that cloudiness but racking it is easier, cheaper, and necessary as a pre-filter step anyways that will clear out a good chunk of those chunkybits.

\/\/\/ Pasteurization isn't necessary unless you suspect your juice is swimming with mold/bacteria. If it's got white or black (or fun-coloured!) mold growing across the surface or on the bottom, or it smells like Badness, you could try to save it by boiling it but at that point I'd just throw it away. For fresh-ish juice that smells and tastes fine, no pre-treatment is necessary. The yeast will take over and out-compete any other critters in there because you're sticking in a big, healthy population that's adapted to these condtions, and everything else in there is struggling in this very odd environment and is starting from a handful of cells competing with everything else that's in there.

Thanks! I dont know why i diddnt think of just letting it settle and siphoning it. This was a fun project. Next time ill just add the sugar at the start and let it go longer.

hedgegnome fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 10, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

MrSlam posted:

Thanks man! I didn't even know dough enhancers were a thing. I hope our local kitchen supply has some.

Lecithin also works to keep it moist, and potassium sorbate or sodium benzoate will prevent mold. You can make bread that will keep like the stuff from the grocery store at home. However, the flavor and texture will be affected - check out The Fresh Loaf for discussions on this topic and others.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

My roommates are disgusted at the thought of keeping bacon grease for any reason. What should I cook (using said grease) and feed them? Cream gravy is out, I hosed it up last time and they don't trust me for that.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Missing Name posted:

My roommates are disgusted at the thought of keeping bacon grease for any reason. What should I cook (using said grease) and feed them? Cream gravy is out, I hosed it up last time and they don't trust me for that.

Eggs. Literally anything. Also, render your own lard, tallow, and schmaltz then feed them the cracklings, greaves, and gribenes (respectively) on toast.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Missing Name posted:

Roast Brussels sprouts in bacon grease and salt

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

The meringue is really delicious, my mother would always make meringue pies in the spring/summertime. Nice bright, sweet citrusy base with an ethereally light meringue on top and a short crust... just perfect. The meringue isn't like the cookie, it's typically still fairly wet and only a bit browned on top.

If you're thinking whipped cream you should go for it but I urge you to try meringue pies some time.

Oh I have done, my girlfriend loves them, though I find the combination of curd and meringue a little bit overwhelming. The thing is, the pies in the show had some kind of set dairy custard as a filling, not curd. I've found a few different recipes on line, all with very different ingredients, I was hoping someone would have a tried and tested recipe before I gambled on whatever online recipe looked most promising!

Linking to a video of the actual episode would probably be :filez:, but here's a screen grab of the pie in question (this one's orange flavour):

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Much like pearl necklaces, cream pies were once a real, common, G-rated thing. I think you just need to google "orange cream pie" and sift through the results. Serious Eats has a orange cream pie recipe.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Missing Name posted:

From the same website that brought us the magic of Pruno: Make Soap

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ExecuDork posted:

From the same website that brought us the magic of Pruno: Make Soap

Put a wick in it. Bam, bacon candle!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

That Works posted:

Roast Brussels sprouts in bacon grease and salt

Try soy sauce for the salt.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Has anyone tried fish sauce on brussel sprouts

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I cut a bunch of eggplant, onions, tomatoes and zucchini 7 days ago for ratatouille and had way too much, so I stored ahalf in containers in the fridge. Now it's 7 days later and I realize I'm about to (or probably already have) spoiled all those vegetables. I'm thinking of putting it all in a big pot and just letting them stew an hour or two, make another shittier ratatouille.

Thye don't smell funky, (they don't really smell much actually) and they don't have visible mold. Am I at risk of poisoning myself? Is 7 days in a fridge too much for cut vegetables like this? Thanks

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Yes. I tried it once as an experiment and I didn't care for it. Ymmv

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
As long as it's not canned, if it doesn't look, smell, or taste funky, it probably isn't funky.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Waci posted:

As long as it's not canned, if it doesn't look, smell, or taste funky, it probably isn't funky.

All right, thanks. It's in the pot right now and it's turned into a mess. It smells really good though, so I hope it'll be fine.

D-Rider
Dec 18, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

EDIT: I just looked at a cream puff recipe, the final step is assembly. They'd get soggy after 2 days in the fridge because the filling will soak into the pastry. The separate parts - filling and pastry - should survive a couple of days, I think. Could you delay assembly until the last minute?

I wish, but I have to go straight from work tomorrow. I can't even spare the few minutes it would take to pipe in the filling. :(

Anyway, the idea for bars put me in the mindset of rectangular. From there, it was just a short skip to full blown squares. I decided to throw together some fudge and cube it on a platter. I feel like my grandmother now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

Yup. Didn't like it alone on roasted sprouts but roasted sprouts in some grease then tossed some cubed pork in and seared with fish sauce and had that on the sprouts and it was great.

Even better version, sautee up some mushrooms, sear the pork in with the fish sauce and top with mushrooms / mushroom liquor and then add in some peeled tart apple slices and let them carmelize just a bit in the pan then toss that over roasted sprouts.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

It's the trendy dish on pretty much every ~~farm to table~~ bearded man chef restaurant these days

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Casu Marzu posted:

It's the trendy dish on pretty much every ~~farm to table~~ bearded man chef restaurant these days

Cause it tastes good. Especially with some fried shallots in there hom nom nom.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never regretted putting fish sauce in anything savory.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've never regretted putting anything savory with brussel sprouts.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The best way I've found to cook them is shredded and fried with soy sauce, garlic and ginger. I bet fish sauce would be good as well

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've never regretted anything so much as the time I caved to pressure and tried to eat a goddam brussels sprout.

gently caress that noise, they are vile.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

I've never regretted anything so much as the time I caved to pressure and tried to eat a goddam brussels sprout.

You're not 10 years old anymore, so maybe try them again? And try them roasted or fried. I'm guessing there's a good chance you had them steamed because that's what moms used to do to all vegetables and I agree they're terrible that way.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The last time that toxic waste passed my lips I was 26. Yeah, they were probably steamed but the smell coming off of dishes of brussels sprout prepared by friends & family using a variety of methods have all been horrid.

Why pollute good pork with that nonsense?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

The last time that toxic waste passed my lips I was 26. Yeah, they were probably steamed but the smell coming off of dishes of brussels sprout prepared by friends & family using a variety of methods have all been horrid.

Why pollute good pork with that nonsense?

The smell is because they were overcooked and released smelly sulfur compounds. Cook them right and all you smell or taste is delicious.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

:yeah:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ExecuDork posted:

Pretty much this. I tried them roasted as is oft suggested here, still tasted awful.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You're not 10 years old anymore, so maybe try them again? And try them roasted or fried. I'm guessing there's a good chance you had them steamed because that's what moms used to do to all vegetables and I agree they're terrible that way.

Every year at Christmas my sister makes me a different dish and hides Brussel Sprouts in it, and every year I taste them and dislike them. She's tried them sauted, boiled, raw in a salad, mixed with bacon and chestnuts, and nothing helps me get over the flavour. I'll happily eat carrots, cabbage and cauliflower now, all of which I hated as a child, but Brussel Sprouts have remained on my poo poo list despite all my sister's efforts.

Apparently there's a gene (TAS2R38) which controls whether you find Sprouts bitter, and about half of the population has it, while the other doesn't, which explains the huge rows people have about whether or not they taste nice.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Bitter things can still taste good. I love Campari, for example, where the bitterness and sweetness work together.

The best preparation of Brussels sprouts I ever had was the Crispy Brussels Afelia a Zatinya in DC. It was sublime. This recipe is a good crack at it and the flavors help to compliment the bitter in the sprouts so it's not overwhelming. http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com/2012/01/crispy-brussels-sprouts-afelia.html

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I've gotten over a lot of my food hang-ups but carrots are still a sticking point with me. I just really don't like them. So I understand the brussel sprouts thing.

I still grow carrots though. Purple Dragons are just so pretty.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

Bitter things can still taste good. I love Campari, for example, where the bitterness and sweetness work together.

The best preparation of Brussels sprouts I ever had was the Crispy Brussels Afelia a Zatinya in DC. It was sublime. This recipe is a good crack at it and the flavors help to compliment the bitter in the sprouts so it's not overwhelming. http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com/2012/01/crispy-brussels-sprouts-afelia.html

Negronis are loving awesome

brussel sprouts are gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I really don't think people get how bad brussels smell & taste to some other people. Like if I had to describe the smell my go to comparison would be a dead body. I've seriously tried eating these things and it resulted in vomiting.