Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Khablam posted:

Anyone who ever heard a 10k in use presumably regretted going too far into the performance:noise ratio. Those things sounded awful. Something about the pitch just seemed to be far less ignorable than the lower frequencies.

Yeah, I've used a few 18gig 10K ex-server drives in old SCSI Powermacs over the years because I already had them(and small-capacity 50pinSCSI drives aren't cheap these days) and that loving whine isn't pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Mad Wack posted:

yeah i love my new 2016 mbp

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Mad Wack posted:

yeah i love my new 2016 mbp

Mine's great too. It's the first Apple product I've owned and I'm very pleased. I got the thirteen inch, non-touch-bar base model and my only consideration is whether I want to return it for a version with more SSD or memory.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
If I shake my 2015 15" rMBP a bit horizontally, I hear a loose part inside that makes noises as it hits something. Is that normal?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Honj Steak posted:

If I shake my 2015 15" rMBP a bit horizontally, I hear a loose part inside that makes noises as it hits something. Is that normal?

Yeah, that's the vibration motor.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Honj Steak posted:

No...thats not normal. It might not be serious though. If its under warranty id book a genius appointment if you are not super comfortable rooting around inside yourself

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

tuyop posted:

Yeah, that's the vibration motor.

CyberPingu posted:

No...thats not normal. It might not be serious though. If its under warranty id book a genius appointment if you are not super comfortable rooting around inside yourself

It's weird as I can't reliably reproduce it. Sometimes I lift it up and I hear the knocking sound, sometimes I don't hear it. The device works perfectly fine and I just got it last month, so I still have some time to bring it to an Apple Store just in case.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Only moving parts in a 15-inch rMBP are the fans and the Force Touch thing mentioned earlier.

Maybe some screw got loose or something left over from manufacturing is wobbling around in there. Definitely get it checked at the Fruit Stand.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I remember a poster a while back who had a similar complaint and it turned out they were shaking their computer hard enough to flex the bottom case and pop its latches in or out (anyone who doesn't know what these latches are, see the photos of step 3 of this iFixit guide).

Also, I recently experienced these latches popping when I picked up or set down my late 2013 rMBP 15", because the battery was swelling enough to pop them out, and when I put pressure on the bottom case they'd pop back in.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Nah doesn't need to be shaken harshly, actually just tilting the laptop is enough for the sound to occur.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

My 2015 has always produced the knocking sound when rotated. The Apple Store said it's normal for the lid joints. I don't really notice it unless I try to make it happen

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

ethanol posted:

My 2015 has always produced the knocking sound when rotated. The Apple Store said it's normal for the lid joints. I don't really notice it unless I try to make it happen

Yeah it's nothing horrible. I was just worried there's something broken since I never owned a computer that expensive before. :negative:

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I don't think people who live in the Mac bubble really know just how bad the state of Windows laptops is. They're just astonishingly bad. Try doing a two finger right click on the touchpad of a Windows laptop, and see how that works out for you. People complaining that their MBP doesn't get 10 hours of battery life? Lol, I'd be thrilled with 4 hours. The new keyboard is pretty radically different - and even if you subjectively dislike it - it's still better than 99.99% of all other laptop keyboards. To get MBP quality in a Windows laptop you have to spend MBP money - and you'll still end up with a lovely trackpad, keyboard, or more.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

And... windows

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

And this. Sure, your screen might artifact randomly until you reboot, but I'll take that over constant popups and notifications that Edge is faster and better than the poo poo browser you're using.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the corner of my 2015 mbp is slightly bent and this exerts a little bit of pressure on the glass of the LCD panel, causing some backlight bleeding. i sort of want to demand AppleCare fix it but it also strikes me as a really petty thing to do

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
if they cover this sort of thing at all that is

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Did you bend it by dropping it or something?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Bob Morales posted:

Did you bend it by dropping it or something?

i have no idea tbh, it never had any hard falls as far as i remember

it may have been hit on something when in my backpack though

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

I don't think people who live in the Mac bubble really know just how bad the state of Windows laptops is. They're just astonishingly bad. Try doing a two finger right click on the touchpad of a Windows laptop, and see how that works out for you. People complaining that their MBP doesn't get 10 hours of battery life? Lol, I'd be thrilled with 4 hours. The new keyboard is pretty radically different - and even if you subjectively dislike it - it's still better than 99.99% of all other laptop keyboards. To get MBP quality in a Windows laptop you have to spend MBP money - and you'll still end up with a lovely trackpad, keyboard, or more.

Eh, Razer Blade, XPS 13... they're okay except on the battery front. I still prefer the rMBP of course, but it's not the end of the world if you must use a Windows machine. There is decent stuff out there.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

This is a really ridiculous generalization, speaking as a person who has a 13" Haswell MBP, a Skylake X1 Carbon and a Skylake 12" Latitude within arm's reach.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Its a hard judgement to make though. Id say if you are comparing a windows laptop that costs the same as a current gen MBP they are pretty even (maybe with slightly less battery power). Take the HP spectre for example. Costs about the same as a 2016 15" MBP and from what i remember about reviews the gap between them was pretty small. Same with the new gen of XPS and the Razor Blade.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I moved into an apartment where WiFi is included. I've been using my 2009 MBP and I always have issues with the WiFi staying connected. I always have to have Network Diagnostics up to get my connection back. At first I thought it was the router / crappy internet that my landlord has but after the internet went out on my 2009 MBP, I noticed that I'm still able to use the WiFi on my phone and on my friends laptop. Could it possibly be an issue with the WiFi card on my old laptop? If so, are there any updates I can install?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Honestly until the XPS line matured and the Blades came out, there was nothing that said "Macbook, but Windows" in an effective way.
MBPs still have the edge in track-pad quality, so if you use it almost exclusively like that, you will feel that more than 15% more performance or something.

The big thing the Mac line has lost is a desktop replacement. The old 17" MBPs were unrivaled in their day, but the newer ones are blending ultrabook and laptop together in a way that doesn't suit my usecase, at least.

Busy Bee posted:

I moved into an apartment where WiFi is included. I've been using my 2009 MBP and I always have issues with the WiFi staying connected. I always have to have Network Diagnostics up to get my connection back. At first I thought it was the router / crappy internet that my landlord has but after the internet went out on my 2009 MBP, I noticed that I'm still able to use the WiFi on my phone and on my friends laptop. Could it possibly be an issue with the WiFi card on my old laptop? If so, are there any updates I can install?
You can try a complete reset of all network settings. Beyond that, yes, the cards can go bad.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If apple replaced my screen in February on a August 2015 mbp, does new screen come with a year warranty or is it based on the computers purchase date? I have three very bright blue stick pixels or leds right on the edge of the screen on one side. I noticed and only counted one just a few days ago. I stupidly forgot to buy AppleCare

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't the touch bar's power consumption throw a wrench into "only charge at night"?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I had a look through the laptops at a department store today and yeah, they are mostly poo poo, but it's not fair to compare an average laptop to a Macbook, let alone a pro. XPS, Razerblade, high end Lenobo, etc are the closest comparisons.

There's still keyboards with numpads, tiny trackpads, stickers everywhere, broken-rear end touchscreen implementation, hinges made of solidified creakiness. All sort of real, tangible problems that essentially don't exist on the mac side of things.

Higher end stuff was better, but the problems above are still present. It's just you get fewer poo poo design choices. All this stuff is a bother, some before you even get into Windows.

Apple might not be releasing our dream machines, but they're still top-level laptops.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Which is not so weird considering their top level price.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

I moved into an apartment where WiFi is included. I've been using my 2009 MBP and I always have issues with the WiFi staying connected.
What about the other devices in your place? 2.4GHz is typically saturated in apartments, resulting in just the crappiest speeds and drops. WiFi may be included, but if you want a decent connection you may have to get your own ISP connection, and get some swell MIMO router like a Nighthawk; wiring the stuff that can only do 2.4GHz. My PS4 is useless unless it is wired.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

ethanol posted:

If apple replaced my screen in February on a August 2015 mbp, does new screen come with a year warranty or is it based on the computers purchase date? I have three very bright blue stick pixels or leds right on the edge of the screen on one side. I noticed and only counted one just a few days ago. I stupidly forgot to buy AppleCare

I believe it's 90 days or the length of your remaining warranty, whichever is longer. So you're SOL, unless maybe you've got stricter warranty laws in your particular state.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

GF's 2010 MBP is glacial speed, a few minutes boot, a dozen or so bounces to launch apps, big delay to open spotlight. That's almost certainly a bad HDD, right? I can drop in an SSD no problems, just want to double check before ordering one.

also, which would be the best SSD choice for this sort of machine? Don't need huge capacity or to break the bank, just want minimum hassle and a nice speed bump.

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?

well why not posted:

I had a look through the laptops at a department store today and yeah, they are mostly poo poo, but it's not fair to compare an average laptop to a Macbook, let alone a pro. XPS, Razerblade, high end Lenobo, etc are the closest comparisons.

There's still keyboards with numpads, tiny trackpads, stickers everywhere, broken-rear end touchscreen implementation, hinges made of solidified creakiness. All sort of real, tangible problems that essentially don't exist on the mac side of things.

Higher end stuff was better, but the problems above are still present. It's just you get fewer poo poo design choices. All this stuff is a bother, some before you even get into Windows.

Apple might not be releasing our dream machines, but they're still top-level laptops.

You went to a department store to shop for a laptop...

You need to really look at high end business grade stuff. Dell Latitudes etc. I haven't heard of a department store ever stocking a high end Dell Latitude for example.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I was in a department store, I wasn't actually going to buy one, just took a look at the new MBPs and a couple of windows machines.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

well why not posted:

GF's 2010 MBP is glacial speed, a few minutes boot, a dozen or so bounces to launch apps, big delay to open spotlight. That's almost certainly a bad HDD, right? I can drop in an SSD no problems, just want to double check before ordering one.

also, which would be the best SSD choice for this sort of machine? Don't need huge capacity or to break the bank, just want minimum hassle and a nice speed bump.

yeah its almost certainly that - go check the ssd thread they will have good recs but i see a lot of people throwing samsung evos in their macs - also check ifixit and see how hard the job will be before buying the ssd

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Somehow she's using 500gb of storage, I think we'll look at doing a cull as I spec out drives. Thanks for the help!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

well why not posted:

Somehow she's using 500gb of storage, I think we'll look at doing a cull as I spec out drives. Thanks for the help!

An SSD will make it quicker, but yeah that's the actual issue right there.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's ~200GB free, so I don't think it's an issue of being stacked full, it's just slow as balls.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

If you haven't priced SSD's in awhile, they're dirt cheap. I think I got a 400gb Samsung for $150 earlier in the year. Depending on how awesome you want to make your 6 year old laptop you can put two drives in it and rock lots of cheap storage. Right now my Time Machine drive is in my laptop.

I know that's a terrible idea and I actually back everything up to Amazon's cloud, I just haven't had a chance to add a separate Time Machine drive to my home network.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

I know that's a terrible idea

Literally one of the stupidest things I've ever read in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

I believe it's 90 days or the length of your remaining warranty, whichever is longer. So you're SOL, unless maybe you've got stricter warranty laws in your particular state.

It's ok, I can't really see them unless I turn the screen brightness all the way up on a black screen, but I'm mad at myself for not buying applecare on this $2500 computer