Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The real problems start when you stop being able to stair dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

euphronius posted:

I really dislike the anime loading screen. I hope its removed.

?

The dowan/duvessa one?

cheetah7071 posted:

How bad is Fedhas wrath, I'm loving tired of not having any fruits

Fedhas wrath is traditionally considered 'a joke' and 'switch to Jiyva so you don't have to worry about it at all'. That's what I'm told!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I really wish Jivya would get revamped so we could have Jelly Knights as a starting class

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Holy poo poo I just figured out how to finally bring the devs and the thread together, through one unifying idea.

remove malmut :siren: crab god :siren:

dislikes: steam

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

Fedhas wrath is traditionally considered 'a joke' and 'switch to Jiyva so you don't have to worry about it at all'. That's what I'm told!

Why does Jiyva negate the Fedhas wrath in particular? Jiyva was actually the swap I had in mind because slimify can go a long way to make up for a weak character

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.20-a0-277-g7db01f4 (webtiles) character file.

1385441 wormsofcant the Acrobat (level 27, 151/151 HPs)
             Began as a Spriggan Earth Elementalist on Nov 30, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Qazlal.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Dec 11, 2016!

The game lasted 06:23:54 (121021 turns).

wormsofcant the Acrobat (SpEE)                    Turns: 121021, Time: 06:23:54

Health: 151/151    AC: 12    Str:  6    XL:     27
Magic:  58/58      EV: 39    Int: 27    God:    Qazlal [******]
Gold:   550        SH: 20    Dex: 24    Spells: 2/68 levels left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis +    b - +0 rod of shadows (14/14)
rCold  . . .      Gourm    .    Y - +2 robe of Eternal Night {rF+ Dex+7}
rNeg   . . .      Faith    +    G - +3 buckler {AC+3}
rPois  +          Spirit   .    X - +2 hat {MR+}
rElec  .          Reflect  .    B - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr  .          Harm     .    (gloves unavailable)
MR     +++++      Rnd*Rage +    (boots unavailable)
Stlth  +.........               q - amulet of faith
                                P - ring of protection from fire
                                w - ring of magical power
Got my Spriggan of Qazlal win, finally!!! :toot: I tried once in 0.15 but died in Zot:5, and my second attempt got eaten by a server move. Third time's the charm I guess! :v: It's also the first online Sp^Q win...

EE has become a really good stabber start (possibly better than En) thanks to Petrify allowing paralyze tier stabs. In older versions the AC bonus and damage halving from Petrify was too high to allow reliable stabs on tough monsters like Hydras since they'd recover before they were dead, but now it's very easy to 2-3 kill them with some training. It might be worth training ~10 stealth on certain characters just so you can pick up a dagger and stab petrified monsters.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nice Robe of Night knockoff. Couldn't quite match the real thing but tried through that hefty DEX bonus. :v:

Also having Disjunction sort of castable but never cast. Passage of Golubria completely ignored too.

Then your only use of the bag of spiders was at the end, just before you walked up the stairs on D:1.

Good job, regardless! En is still the better stabber class, though; you can get stabs right from level 2 that trains better ways of stabbing via Hexes whereas EE needs to either find a well-positioned sleeping monster to do the same with Passwall or wait until level 4 with a tougher spell to cast.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Disjunction was just there if a Pan Lord showed up on the ascent or if I got surrounded in Zot, otherwise I could just rely on Dispersal to get rid of stuff. Just need to pop one of my 14 potions of brilliance :v: Iron Shot, Petrify, Confuse, Dispel Undead and Invisibility combined with a Rod of Shadows was enough to handle the threats in Zot so I ended up not using my other stuff.

I think EH is a bit weaker than Petrify even though you get it earlier; it has a spellpower penalty and it's mostly useless if you haven't trained up enough skills to get enough damage to guarantee the kill and the 2 MP cost is really noticeable at the start of the game. Petrify is also much safer to use since you can immediately cast it when the monster is at the edge of LOS. Overall EE has a more well-rounded starting book since the spells cover a wide set of effects: You get ranged damage, escape, hexes and unavoidable damage, which gives it the edge over En in my opinion.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So I was spectating Manman who is on a four streak and rocking a mino with 50 AC and 255hp.

He's in the X map and forgets that > can select trap doors and....

...he was on Zot 4 when it happened.

I didn't think I'd ever seen someone so screwed until I saw how his first teleport went:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Better than losing a streak to a D:1 adder.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

PleasingFungus posted:

Incredible username/avatar/post triple combo.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Why does Jiyva negate the Fedhas wrath in particular? Jiyva was actually the swap I had in mind because slimify can go a long way to make up for a weak character

J grants innate rCorr, which makes oklob rings (the biggest part of F wrath) a lot less threatening.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Isn't rCorr a 50% chance to resist?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yes, PF is still correct however

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I sometimes nearly get my rear end kicked by weavers when I have rCorr, a ring of oklobs is going to blow right through that 50% resist by sheer weight of fire.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 11, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's not like you won't get corroded but you'll get corroded a lot slower when it only goes through half the time

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

it's not like you won't get corroded but you'll get corroded a lot slower when it only goes through half the time

And more importantly you'll take a lot less damage from it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So, assuming I want to convert to Jiyva, but there isn't an altar in lair, and I am extremely weak but have rCorr, how impossible is ninjaing the altar on slime 6?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

cheetah7071 posted:

So, assuming I want to convert to Jiyva, but there isn't an altar in lair, and I am extremely weak but have rCorr, how impossible is ninjaing the altar on slime 6?

If you're hasted and/or have blink scrolls, the odds aren't *too* terrible, but it entirely depends on monster positioning and whether the altar in the middle is overcrowded (be ready to shout the entire floor towards one side if necessary). Assuming you're a troll, they're pretty easy to rush to Lair at least; it took me 20-30 minutes when I used to try it so you shouldn't worry too much about losing your character.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What's the chance of being affected by *corrode? I remember the chance for *confuse being really low, but...

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Talking about a character that just reached lair 6? Effectively impossible. Getting down 5 floors and then through the royal jelly and his minions without meeting anything that blocks your way is impossible, and unless you know what you're doing & get a little lucky fighting basically anything there will end in death.

If you get really lucky with placements, stairs, and consumables you could just about do it, but you'll probably just die to acid blob shots. Or get permanently confused by the first golden eye pack you see.

apple posted:

whether the altar in the middle is overcrowded
The altar always has 3 spawns on each branch and TRJ in the center, you'll always need to disperse them.

Darox fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 12, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What's the chance of being affected by *corrode? I remember the chance for *confuse being really low, but...

The source suggests a 1/3 chance per non-zero non-poison instance of damage taken, which seems really high.

e: it's 3%; oops!

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 12, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

The source suggests a 1/3 chance per non-zero non-poison instance of damage taken, which seems really high.

Oh cool, thanks for checking on that. I kinda assumed it would be closer to 5% or something!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
In practice, corrode seems to correlate with the 3% listed in the learndb.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Darox posted:

Talking about a character that just reached lair 6? Effectively impossible. Getting down 5 floors and then through the royal jelly and his minions without meeting anything that blocks your way is impossible, and unless you know what you're doing & get a little lucky fighting basically anything there will end in death.

If you get really lucky with placements, stairs, and consumables you could just about do it, but you'll probably just die to acid blob shots. Or get permanently confused by the first golden eye pack you see.

The altar always has 3 spawns on each branch and TRJ in the center, you'll always need to disperse them.

This is a two rune character looking to convert, but who is repeatedly almost dying in lair

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
In the middle of my first run with Gozag. Draconian conjurer, found an early bookshop and an early altar and decided I'd give buying my spells a whirl. I'm a bit disappointed in the gold drop rate, I figured I'd be rolling in cash but money is kind of tight. I've gotten a lot of use out of the gold distraction power though. As a conjurer I can do lots of damage but get overwhelmed easily, and monsters sitting around to stare at the shiny for a while really helps, especially since I only have an amulet of magic regeneration to restore MP. Spell hunger is a big deal though and legitimately hurts the character's potential. I had to lean heavily on spellcasting and +INT items so I could spam fireball. My stronger conjurations and spellforged servitors I've been saving for hard fights, I'm just hoping to get a staff of energy or necromutation before battlesphere+mystic blast / fireball isn't good enough for normal enemies because I'll starve to death if I have to lean hard on level 6-9 spells.

In the end I feel I would have been better off with a spellcasting god or even cheri. I'm already thinking about what I want to switch to when I start feeling the diminishing returns from shop spamming. I figure in the end game each shop will cost more but be less likely to have an item better than my current inventory, though I guess extra scrolls and wands might be welcome forever. At least his wrath seems weak. Once you've bought out anything you want in shops it doesn't matter if they close or if future purchases are trashed and a few buffs on regular enemies isn't so bad, though I guess if you find yourself in a tight spot a turn delay on potions can really suck.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Is there a way to change the resolution? The latest tiles verison launches at 1280x768 which is not my monitor's resolution, and googling just gives me a bunch of old-rear end forum thread with confusing answers at best. Most seem to say that it can be changed in my init.txt file, but that has no actual options to change in it.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I'm playing a Centaur of Ru offline and I reached the point where I Apocalypse'd so much my skills are all 0 from the sheer drain. Finished clearing Lair, Orc and Dungeon so far :getin:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You're going to die.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
so jiyva eats all your arrows real fast huh

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Hipster Occultist posted:

Is there a way to change the resolution?

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/docs/options_guide.txt

Here's your starting point. I can't go in more right now, but if you still need help later, I don't see a problem.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Always really disappointed when I start with the yellow robe.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Fixedart request: The yellow robe of Texas

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kirke can't porkalate you if you're a tree, FYI.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is it impossible to paralyze jellies as Jiyva now that prayer is gone?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well my desperate no-fruit Fedhas->Jiyva (who ate all of my arrows) character almost won anyways, and would have survived the fight that killed me if I weren't a moron. Would have been my second streak, too.

e: lessons learned in this game:

Fedhas is insanely, brutally strong while you have fruits
Fedhas' wrath is a joke if you have rCorr, so convert as soon as you run out of fruit
Bows work well with Fedhas
Bows work terribly with Jiyva
A demon trident can out-tab a golden dragon at 14 polearms
Any melee character who can get two runes can win. Convert to Jiyva, get a free third rune, and dive through depths and Zot. Slimify anything remotely dangerous--OOFs are the only notable enemy immune, so use all your consumables on them.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 12, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh cool, thanks for checking on that. I kinda assumed it would be closer to 5% or something!

LordSloth posted:

In practice, corrode seems to correlate with the 3% listed in the learndb.

LordSloth is correct; I'd misread the code. Mea culpa!

cheetah7071 posted:

Is it impossible to paralyze jellies as Jiyva now that prayer is gone?

Yep.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jeez

I train polearms all the way up to ~20 for glaive mindelay, and then I find this thing in a shop:

code:
the +11 lajatang of Profit {slice MR+ Dex+3 SInv}
I'm basically already at mindelay for lajatangs from crosstraining, so I might just go ahead and use it instead.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Sure, but keep training Polearms anyway. A good Bardiche outstrips a good Lajatang by a huge margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Carcer posted:

You're going to die.
Current Ru Centaur status: Got the Swamp rune. Still at 0 Skill.

• Locked thread