Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Moneyball posted:

There's always russian roulette as well. Everyone should try that.

Good with money, as there are in-built systems devoted to stopping you chasing your losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=205068

quote:

Dear Bogleheads,

First of all, I'd like to say how grateful I am for this community for all the wisdom it has given me by all of you thus far.

Right now, I could really use some guidance of how to go about planning for my 61 year old mother's retirement.

As I have stated in the title, my mom virtually has no savings whatsoever. I've recently took over the family finance this past Spring and has managed to saved some money for her without her knowing. (It has to do with her son's student loan in forbearance and a bit of lying. That should be enough for you to connect the dots).

Income:
~$3500 per month pre tax

Estimated Monthly Expenses:
$1150 Rent
$700 Work related
$750 Misc. ($1350 with both car loan installments)

Estimated Net Savings per month:
$0 - $300

Current and future savings:
~$4.5k Ally savings (1% interest)
~$60k Cash selling house (closing some time next week)
~$30k Cash selling family property back in her home country in about 5 months

Current Debt:
$6.5k (7% APR) - Her car
$16.5k (6.9% APR) - Her youngest son's car
$23k (6% APR) - Her youngest son's student loan (10 years old + forbearance with no interest until 2019)

---

A little bit background. Her chapter 7 bankruptcy has been discharged recently as well as finalizing her divorce (15 years marriage; her ex has no savings neither). The net saving have been ~$3500 per month for years with dual income, but she has been spending it all and still managed to get into debt with destructive hobby (flipping decors and furniture) and poor financial decisions (extra house, extra brand new car, etc). So, filing chapter 7 was imminent.

Right now she's renting an apartment while I have been negotiating selling the house for her. We should be closing late next week with net proceed of ~$60k in cash (her ex will let her have it all). We might be getting something from another house tied to chapter 7 that was auctioned off for $200k, but I'm not too optimistic about it.

As for her social security, she is entitled to ~$400 per month @ 62. Then at @ 64 (2 years after divorce), she can file for 50% of her retired ex's SS, which is ~$700 per month for her. Her reported income has been below the SS limit ($15720) due to cash being half of her total. So, she could still work full time while taking out SS without a penalty.

About her youngest son (28 years old), he has been unemployed for years (has Masters Degree) but suffering from a mild medical condition (moderate back and neck problems). He lives in CA with his fiancé's family and has no expense beside his own student and car loans. We are all frustrated that he is not living independently and has no future prospect for himself for a number of years now, but my still mom feels obligated to take care of his finances for as long as she can.

---

My current tentative plan:

Should I go ahead and pay off both her and her son's car loans ($23k combined total) using the proceeds from real estate sale next week ($60k)?

This would leave about $40k in combined savings, which will eventually become $70k around May 2017 with the additional sales of oversea property.

I would then max out her 401k and IRA accounts with 50/50 AA annually, while reserving at least $10k as emergency funds.

She is both self-employed and working as a full time employee with health insurance benefits. I believe they have a 401k match of 3% as well. I am currently researching about various IRA types that she could benefit from the most and would like some inputs from you guys in tandem.

If you need any additional information about anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you for your time.

Ouch. Kid who's not doing anything with himself in his 20's who apparently bought a brand new car on mommy's dime. No savings and SS income is nothing. She's in for a tough ride.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

SweetSassyMolassy posted:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=205068

Ouch. Kid who's not doing anything with himself in his 20's who apparently bought a brand new car on mommy's dime. No savings and SS income is nothing. She's in for a tough ride.

This one hit me pretty hard, yikes.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
That is scarily like what my mom went through with her mother, sans the deadbeat kid. Instead, she was spending all her money on her great-grandkids buying toys they didn't want and had no place to store out of misplaced sense of duty, then complaining to anyone who would listen that she didn't have money for her insulin, especially at charity places to get her medicine at reduced cost.

Even after my mom took over her finances completely she had to give her $100/mo. just so she could keep buying useless crap for a modicum of peace and happiness. Selling her house, getting out of her car lease, discharging all of her loans, it was rough :(

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's gonna be even worse for that poor woman once the Republicans try to cut medicare and social security, as reported the other day. So many older people are going to starve...

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Haha no they'll just get rid of it for everyone under like 55, although they'll still have to pay for all of the current recipients.

(not that I know for sure, I just imagine they'll serve Republican constituents - old white racists on medicare and social security, and gently caress over everyone else)

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 12, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Social Security cut and privatization plan is from the House Chairman of the Ways and Means committee, who has been obsessed with removing Social Security for decades, and is not necessarily going to be introduced in this Congress.

The Medicare "reform" is though. It does let everyone 55 and older keep traditional Medicare, but everyone under 55 gets boned. You get to choose from a couple private plans and get a voucher for a flat amount to help pay for it. Going to be tons of fun to be a 65-year old looking for private insurance plans on marketplace full of tons of old and sick people and paying out of pocket.

And they aren't even changing the Medicare tax rates, except for removing the 0.8% increase on incomes over 250k from Obamacare, so young people who are getting super-boned won't even get the silver lining of 30+ years of ever so slightly lower taxes.

If you can find a way to have more than 250k in taxable income every year and stay young and healthy forever, then it could be very GWM for you though.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 12, 2016

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Maybe a cheap hyperloop and other countries being symphatetic to our inability to manage healthcare will enable more Americans to engage in medical tourism abroad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm waiting for medical cruises.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Subjunctive posted:

I'm waiting for medical cruises.

These actually already exist for cosmetic surgeries and dental procedures. They have clinics in Costa Rica at the wharfs in Puerto Limon and Caldera where Cruise liners stop.

It's ports full of overpriced restaurants, tourist traps, knick-knack salesmen, plastic surgeons, and oral surgeons.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I meant where you board in LA or Miami and then travel out to international waters for a quick rhinoplasty or hysterectomy while underway.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

ohgodwhat posted:

Haha no they'll just get rid of it for everyone under like 55, although they'll still have to pay for all of the current recipients.

(not that I know for sure, I just imagine they'll serve Republican constituents - old white racists on medicare and social security, and gently caress over everyone else)

I sure hope so. My mom has no savings and never paid into SS, but she's 62 which means she's got medicare and like $400 a month from SS. It's dogfood bad, but better than nothin' and it's bought me the time to save on her behalf for some of the inevitable emergencies that are coming down the pipe.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I know everyone hates on everything Republicans suggest, but defined benefits in this case could have a braking effect on medical costs. An absolutely massive percentage of health care costs occur in a senior citizen's last month of life. End-of-life care is weird in this country and the current system is full of perverse incentives to keep people alive as long as some government agency is footing the bill.

Defined benefits could also create a Mad Max Thunderdome world. It's all in the implementation. All hail Immortal Trump and his perfect-in-every-way son Eric.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

I know everyone hates on everything Republicans suggest, but defined benefits in this case could have a braking effect on medical costs. An absolutely massive percentage of health care costs occur in a senior citizen's last month of life. End-of-life care is weird in this country and the current system is full of perverse incentives to keep people alive as long as some government agency is footing the bill.

Defined benefits could also create a Mad Max Thunderdome world. It's all in the implementation. All hail Immortal Trump and his perfect-in-every-way son Eric.

I'm pretty sure you know which one would actually be implemented.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Fortunately my retirement plan has been to die slightly after I stop working ('slightly' being however long it takes for exposure and starvation to kill me), so looks like these changes just affirm my choice!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Krispy Kareem posted:

So, uh, death panels then?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

I know everyone hates on everything Republicans suggest, but defined benefits in this case could have a braking effect on medical costs.

*A computerized voice comes on over your hospital bed*

Sorry, you have used your lifetime allotment of medical funding. You may self fund further care, or say "kill me now" if you do not have sufficient funds.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Inept posted:

*A computerized voice comes on over your hospital bed*

Sorry, you have used your lifetime allotment of medical funding. You may self fund further care, or say "kill me now" if you do not have sufficient funds.

Alternatively, "please say McDonalds to continue using the ventilator"

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

Alternatively, "please say McDonalds to continue using the ventilator"

Please watch this short promotional video for 10 additional minutes of ventilation!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This is why in my retirement scenarios I assume social security won't be there. It will be, but its almost certainly reduced benefits will need to go just for making up for neutered medicare.

In BWM, worrying about a 20 point credit drop when you're now DEBT-FREE.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5hwyhz/i_paid_off_the_last_of_my_student_loan_and_my/

quote:

I know that CK's score is a simulation, I'm really hoping that paying off my student loan didn't legitimately lower my score. Any help would be appreciated.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
More like when you're going to die you go to a hospice or home instead of staying hooked up in a hospital because your family insists on every last effort.

I can't imagine my experiences with hospitals are that different than other people. Four hours before my father passed the hospital was doing some weird EKG brain test (he died from renal failure). My grandmother's last day probably cost Medicare $20k because her son insisted on every life-saving measure on an 87 year woman with a systolic blood pressure that looked like my Calculus grade (I got a D in Calculus). If my dumbass uncle had to pay 20% of those costs he would have had a different perspective.

Anecdotal sure. But like 30% of healthcare costs take place a month before death. There are some perverse incentives going on that are skewing costs.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Please watch this short promotional video for 10 additional minutes of ventilation!

That's silly. The dying don't buy stuff.

Please share this video with male family members in the 18 - 35 age bracket for 10 minutes of ventilation.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Krispy Kareem posted:

More like when you're going to die you go to a hospice or home instead of staying hooked up in a hospital because your family insists on every last effort.

I can't imagine my experiences with hospitals are that different than other people. Four hours before my father passed the hospital was doing some weird brain EKG test (he died from renal failure). My grandmother's last day probably cost Medicare $20k because her son insisted on every life-saving measure on an 87 year woman with a systolic blood pressure that looked like my Calculus grade (I got a D in Calculus). If my dumbass uncle had to pay 20% of those costs he would have had a different perspective.

This tends to happen because panicky bereaved relatives grasp at straws, praying for a miracle like in one of their TV shows. Obamacare was supposed to include "end of life counseling" in which a doctor would sit down with them and explain "Your grandma is dying, we can't save her. Here's how we can ease her passing." But this was labelled "Death panels!" by the supposedly cost-conscious Republicans.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

BarbarianElephant posted:

This tends to happen because panicky bereaved relatives grasp at straws, praying for a miracle like in one of their TV shows. Obamacare was supposed to include "end of life counseling" in which a doctor would sit down with them and explain "Your grandma is dying, we can't save her. Here's how we can ease her passing." But this was labelled "Death panels!" by the supposedly cost-conscious Republicans.

Precisely. End of life counseling would be exactly what you had described, a way to avoid expensive traumatic procedures in the last month of life, but Republicans decided to go with "Death Panels :supaburn:" instead of what would reduce suffering AND save money.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Republicans just want the Invisible Hand of the marketplace to be your death panel.

Which might make sense. Consumer driven healthcare plans (i.e. high deductible) lower overall costs whereas Cadillac healthcare plans increase prices. When people are aware of costs they make cheaper decisions.

Of course the funeral industry and pet hospitals make lots of money because of emotions so maybe it won't matter unless you're financially tapped out.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Ding ding ding

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

(Cross posting from iOS games thread) A guy in California spent $1 million in stolen money on Game of War. :monocle:

What... how would this not be flagged? I guess if I were in a Brewster's Millions situation but could only buy games, in app purchases would be the way to go.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38290186

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Republicans just want the Invisible Hand of the marketplace to be your death panel.

Which might make sense. Consumer driven healthcare plans (i.e. high deductible) lower overall costs whereas Cadillac healthcare plans increase prices. When people are aware of costs they make cheaper decisions.

Of course the funeral industry and pet hospitals make lots of money because of emotions so maybe it won't matter unless you're financially tapped out.

Yeah you can have a mostly private healthcare system with great outcomes, but it requires the government to heavily regulate costs. Politicians would have to be willing to ignore CNN stories about grandma dying because the government banned a half million dollar procedure using a $50m machine that mightve extend her life by 2 weeks.

So probably impossible in the West, works great in Singapore though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
"Come play, my lord" indeed.

And yes, I know that was Evony. Work with me here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Less-D&D content:

reddit posted:

Personally, I'm very pessimistic for the future job market (medium to high paying).

When I see the market react so emotionally to different world events, it really saps a portion of my faith out of the market.

So I'm considering looking into other options to ensure a bit of income outside of the market incase the future job market plummets due to automation and massive increases in unforeseeable new technology.

Either way I don't think it's a bad idea to brainstorm strategies to set into place assets that have the following attributes:

1) earn (preferably) passive income, but income in general.
2) will have long lasting demand. Even in the light of a heavily autonomous society that requires much less workers to produce as much or more output.
3) be a simple enough investment that doesn't require me to completely quit my job under normal circumstances.
4) hopefully be less dependent on direct stock market

When I put my ideas though this criterion, there do not seem to be too many ideas. Real estate, business ownership/partnership, or maybe learn a hobby/skill that can yield some income.

I keep leaning towards the idea of Never selling a home again. Pay off my current home, rent it out, and buy another. With the proceeds of one rental go towards aggressively paying off the next. Always buying a home that you are happy to live in and in a good area seems to be a save way to not over leverage. That way, if "robots" do all our jobs later in life (that would pay a high wage) I would have some supplemental income (maybe 1-4 homes being rented out w/ no debt).

Anyone's thoughts or ideas?
"I see the market react to world events(which doesn't make sense, why would it ever do that?), so I'm going to emotionally react to that and the automation boogeyman by assuming landlording is the perfect future-proof income source."

reddit posted:

Hi all, I'm 18 years old Have a full time job and work anywhere from 50-55 hours a week. I get paid bi weekly and bring home about 1300$ a paycheck after taxes I currently have a loan for my truck for the sum of 23k In July when I turned 18 I got the loan and just checked my credit the other day and it's around 680. In springtime I would like to get another vehicle and that would require a loan, what are the chances of getting a loan then? I assume my credit score will go up between now and then? Thanks
"I have a 23k truck on a 30k-ish income. Should I buy another truck?"

legal advice reddit posted:

This year, due to lack of volunteers, students from my class must volunteer at sports concessions. Every time they fail to show up they are charged 30 dollars. I missed mine due to actual work that I have to do and they took the money out of my lunch account and they said if I don't go to the next one I will not be permitted to attend prom. Not too worried about prom but can they really charge me for not volunteering? Public school in Ohio.
"We're a public school who really needs students to volunteer at sports concessions. Let's take money out of student lunch accounts if they don't show up, that can't backfire!"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

quote:

This year, due to lack of volunteers, students from my class must volunteer

Besides the fact that this sentence is hilarious, is it really volunteering if you must do it? Sounds more like forced labor.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I was forced to volunteer once. But it was worth it- dude really had it coming.

Haifisch posted:

"We're a public school who really needs students to volunteer at sports concessions. Let's take money out of student lunch accounts if they don't show up, that can't backfire!"

quote:

Public school in Ohio.

Of course

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

When my grandmother passed, what surprised my mom and my aunt was how early in the process they had to make the intervene (with expensive and risky surgery that will leave you with severely reduced quality of life and won't let you live much longer anyway) vs. palliative care decision (they went with palliative care).

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Powerlurker posted:

When my grandmother passed, what surprised my mom and my aunt was how early in the process they had to make the intervene (with expensive and risky surgery that will leave you with severely reduced quality of life and won't let you live much longer anyway) vs. palliative care decision (they went with palliative care).

Don't you usually make that call before anything bad happens? Once your loved one has broken their hip or contracted pneumonia it becomes much more difficult to make decisions and know what the right thing to do is.

Oh course the ultimate GWM is to do your own estate and end of life planning so your family isn't left guessing if you'd be ok with a feeding tube. Everyone in this thread better have a will!

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I used to work in the quality department at a tissue bank, and part of my job was reviewing all the medical records of people who have recently died and donated tissue to make sure it'd be safe for the recipients. Some of the records were as large as novels because families the donor's didn't have any advanced directive on file stating how they wished to be treated in cases where they were unable to make their own decisions and family members were pushing for all possible intervening measures.

The really hosed up part is sometimes we wouldn't be able to tell all what has been given to a donor in the moments before their death (things like saline, titrated medications, blood, plasma, etc. to make sure that any blood samples we took for infectious disease testing weren't diluted), and the records wouldn't be totally clear. It was always easier to get information from the medical billing department because they were making sure anything that got used was getting billed to the family/insurance company.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

It was always easier to get information from the medical billing department because they were making sure anything that got used was getting billed to the family/insurance company.

As someone who works under the A/R umbrella in a national health care provider, can confirm this.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Powerlurker posted:

Hospitals want you to make the decision early because it gets everyone in the right mindset, but you can change the directive at any time. Although if a doctor is against a procedure on someone who is obviously dying they could probably find ways to delay if the end is really near.

With my father they left open the option of a feeding tube for almost his entire stay. I got so much grief from other family members for declining that option that I was actually going to relent the day he died.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Switchback posted:

Don't you usually make that call before anything bad happens? Once your loved one has broken their hip or contracted pneumonia it becomes much more difficult to make decisions and know what the right thing to do is.

Oh course the ultimate GWM is to do your own estate and end of life planning so your family isn't left guessing if you'd be ok with a feeding tube. Everyone in this thread better have a will!

It is every citizen’s final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

—Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, incredibly GWM.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Switchback posted:

The look of shock/disbelief on the intake nurses face when I told them we had an advanced medical directive at 32 was hilarious. BWM: Not having an estate planning package for ~$2500 causing everything to drop into probate which is billed as a % of assets.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I need to make out a will one of these days. Should I wait until we've got a positive net worth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I need to make out a will one of these days. Should I wait until we've got a positive net worth?

Ask yourself who could possibly fight over your stuff or who you really want to try to give certain things you own to. If it's no one, well, I'm not sure what the point of a will is regardless of net worth.

• Locked thread