Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

EL BROMANCE posted:

I use the Apple TV app and don't get what you mean, how does it not use poster art? Got an example you can show?

They don't use the big full screen background art. Look at how Plex presents an episode or movie, and compare it to Emby for ATV. Plex just presents a screenful of Apple's "frosted glass" applied to the poster, the 'fan art' image appears nowhere. Emby shows you the fan art image, with a darkened overlay on top of it so the white text doesn't get lost in a white fan art image. It looks like an iTunes landing page over 90% of the time.

I'm a Plex Pass subscriber for the moment so I'm not going to switch for that simple thing alone, but it annoys me that the team seems determined to not use the big glossy fan art image, since that's part of the ooh and ahh of a Plex/Kodi/Emby/etc setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Now I get you, the way you said poster art I thought you weren't getting the images appearing in the listings for posters, not backgrounds.

Maybe it'll come at some point, but I can't see it being a massive priority to be honest.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I'm cutting cable, looking to move my plex server off my main computer and into a dedicated media server, what kind of processor do I need to look for in a DVR box?

Edit: now reading the FAQ, and I'm thinking that was a stupid question - so the HDHomeRun EXTEND transcodes to h.264 and plex just tunes it and saves it to the NAS? cool poo poo.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 3, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Dietrich posted:

I'm cutting cable, looking to move my plex server off my main computer and into a dedicated media server, what kind of processor do I need to look for in a DVR box?

Edit: now reading the FAQ, and I'm thinking that was a stupid question - so the HDHomeRun EXTEND transcodes to h.264 and plex just tunes it and saves it to the NAS? cool poo poo.

The Extend works pretty well and as is the case with Emby I think it's the only device Plex works well with.

If you've never used it before know up front that antenna (type and position) is incredibly key to how well the thing works for you overall. Indoor antennas are very tricky no matter where you live. It will have a major impact on overall quality as well as how fast streams start - the dirtier the signal the more work has to be done.

Lots of people think digital broadcast TV is binary - it either works or it doesn't - and while this is true in a broad sense, especially compared to how analog signals work, it's not entirely that straightforward; you can pull in a weak signal that works, but takes longer to tune in or is more susceptible to drop outs, etc. In my experience this always comes down to where you live in relation to the various broadcast towers in your area, your immediate environment (tall buildings, trees, etc.), and your antenna type and placement.

Spend a lot of time researching antennas is what I'm getting at :)

Edit: https://www.antennaweb.org/ is a great place to do exactly this. It will tell you where the towers are based on your address and then make antenna recommendations. It's not always 100% accurate but is a great place to start.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 3, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ixian posted:

Lots of people think digital broadcast TV is binary - it either works or it doesn't - and while this is true in a broad sense, especially compared to how analog signals work, it's not entirely that straightforward; you can pull in a weak signal that works, but takes longer to tune in or is more susceptible to drop outs, etc. In my experience this always comes down to where you live in relation to the various broadcast towers in your area, your immediate environment (tall buildings, trees, etc.), and your antenna type and placement.

Bits are actually analog. It's hosed up but true.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
A couple weeks ago I got the Lenovo mentioned in the OP since my old server was pretty lovely. Installed Windows 7 on it and have not been able to get HDHR software installed since then, I just get a "Service failed to start" error. That was kind of obnoxious since there is very little info on how to fix this. I decided to just let Windows update for a week or two and see if one of the updates solves my problem. My computer can see the HDHR Prime, it just refuses to install the software for it.

Anyways, Plex DVR lost the program guide so my recording schedule was cleared out. Until December 1st, when somehow Plex picked up all my normal recordings and now my Program Guide is back up as well. Can't access Channels through Plex (initially I could watch network channels, but not cable for some reason), but it somehow can see and record everything again.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You currently need to bounce through a dozen hoops to get Win 7 to update properly, so your issue might be there.
You can use that same license key to give you Windows 10, which will be unlikely to have any issues.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Does Windows 10 have something to replace Windows Media Center? The main reason I decided to stick with Windows 7 was that I can use my XB360's as media extender cable boxes in my office and garage. If Windows 10 allows me to still do that then maybe I'll upgrade.

For now I'm just glad that at least Plex DVR is functioning again. This Thinkserver might not be the most powerful thing available, but man it is nice to actually be able to stream my recordings now. My old pc could barely even play some of the files without stuttering constantly. My only reliable way to watch was through my xbox's media player. Now everything is pretty drat smooth on every device I've tried.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Inspector 34 posted:

Does Windows 10 have something to replace Windows Media Center? The main reason I decided to stick with Windows 7 was that I can use my XB360's as media extender cable boxes in my office and garage. If Windows 10 allows me to still do that then maybe I'll upgrade.

Nope. In fact they explicitly took it away. There have been various hacks since to "re-enable" it but they are just that - hacks. Not a long term solution.

WMC is dead. The corpse may not smell yet but trust me it is not a long-term solution.

As a catch-22 for your situation, Windows 7, while not dead, isn't a long-term thing either.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
... people actually used WMC? What the gently caress.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I get that, and eventually I will update everything. I don't expect to be able to use 10 year old video game consoles to stream from my 8 year old operating system forever. But with the way I'd like things to work with the equipment I have right now, I feel like WMC is the only solution available to me. I have PS3s acting as my HDHR cable boxes in place of the XBox 360s for now and they actually are working out alright despite not having the program guide that WMC provides. The program guide is actually the only thing I really want to use WMC for, it just makes using the XB360 so easy for when friends and family are around.

For right now I'm just trying to make do with the equipment I have. I might end up getting a couple Shield TVs or FTVs, or some combination of the two and get them setup with some kind of Live TV/DVR app. I don't really know what's out there though, so I'll have to do a little research once I decide to spend the money.

At least Plex is somehow functional at the moment, so I have my DVR back after a couple weeks of trying to watch things live like some kind of heathen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Have you considered just cutting the cord completely and going with an internet-based TV provider? DIRECTV NOW has a promo going on at the moment where you can get a free 4th gen 32GB Apple TV if you prepay 3-months worth of their $60/month service (100+ channels) that's been discounted to $35/month during their promo launch period. So you pay $105 upfront and get the Apple TV + 3 months worth of DIRECTV NOW's "Go Big" service plan. No cloud DVR yet, but they've announced it'll be available sometime in 2017. The service has an app currently on tvOS, iOS, Android, Android TV, Fire OS, and Roku devices, and it works with Chromecasts. Worth noting I guess that DIRECTV NOW is limited to two simultaneous streams.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 6, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Fuzz posted:

WMC was cool and good and wonderful and way ahead of its time and they killed it like just in time to totally miss the boat on cordcutting and every other PC DVR solution either isn't as good or costs money for guide data and you don't loving know poo poo so shut your god drat ignorant mouth.

gently caress

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I get that, and eventually I will update everything. I don't expect to be able to use 10 year old video game consoles to stream from my 8 year old operating system forever. But with the way I'd like things to work with the equipment I have right now, I feel like WMC is the only solution available to me. I have PS3s acting as my HDHR cable boxes in place of the XBox 360s for now and they actually are working out alright despite not having the program guide that WMC provides. The program guide is actually the only thing I really want to use WMC for, it just makes using the XB360 so easy for when friends and family are around.

For right now I'm just trying to make do with the equipment I have. I might end up getting a couple Shield TVs or FTVs, or some combination of the two and get them setup with some kind of Live TV/DVR app. I don't really know what's out there though, so I'll have to do a little research once I decide to spend the money.

At least Plex is somehow functional at the moment, so I have my DVR back after a couple weeks of trying to watch things live like some kind of heathen.

This seems like that scene from Chappie, where the solution to every problem is more games consoles.

If you want to take this route, you probably have to jump the hoops and get update working on 7. Google helps.
I don't know why you wouldn't use PLEX fully though and just add the channels you need?
Sell the consoles for parts / to nostalgic weirdos and replace each with a Roku?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

teagone posted:

Have you considered just cutting the cord completely and going with an internet-based TV provider? DIRECTV NOW has a promo going on at the moment where you can get a free 4th gen 32GB Apple TV if you prepay 3-months worth of their $60/month service (100+ channels) that's been discounted to $35/month during their promo launch period. So you pay $105 upfront and get the Apple TV + 3 months worth of DIRECTV NOW's "Go Big" service plan. No cloud DVR yet, but they've announced it'll be available sometime in 2017. The service has an app currently on tvOS, iOS, Android, Android TV, Fire OS, and Roku devices, and it works with Chromecasts. Worth noting I guess that DIRECTV NOW is limited to two simultaneous streams.

Yeah, I've definitely considered it, I just wish I had known about it was going to be a thing a couple months ago. My HDHR Prime was a birthday gift from my fiance in October so I want to get as much use of it as possible for at least a while. I think we'll be sticking with cable for at least another year or so.

In the mean time, I might cancel my Netflix, Hulu+, and Prime accounts since I'm using Plex more and more. The money saved from those could offset a lot of the cost of DTV Now and would smooth over the transition away from cable.

^^It's true I have a crapload of old consoles. If I could run Plex on my Dreamcast I almost certainly would be. As for channels, it seems like the content posted up on Plex channels run a few weeks behind or else I probably would use them. Oddly, HDHR channels worked for network channels for a few days even though I could not install the HDHR software. Then that quit on me, but on Dec 1 the DVR started working again.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 6, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have no idea why I ever press the 'install update' button on PMS, as it always ends in tears. The last thing I saw in my TeamViewer session was about 10 Python processes absolutely ravage the CPU and then all signal was lost. Welp.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have no idea why I ever press the 'install update' button on PMS, as it always ends in tears. The last thing I saw in my TeamViewer session was about 10 Python processes absolutely ravage the CPU and then all signal was lost. Welp.

I've learned just to wait it out. When I hit the install update button from a PC in Plex Web, I noticed the update button flickered for a bit one time. Then when I remote logged into my server to check on the progress (there was nothing), I saw the PMS process had stopped and the icon disappeared from the system tray. After waiting a moment or two, the process started back up, icon reappeared in the system tray, and it was back up all properly updated. I've been doing server updates like this for a while now. Something broke the progress screen in a past update I think. I haven't bothered to make a post on the Plex forums because the server does update itself properly. I don't even remote in anymore to check. I just hit the update button and wait, heh.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 6, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fuzz posted:

My brother and my dad both went all in on it and are thus stuck in the loop of repeating hack after hack to try and keep them going.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

teagone posted:

I've learned just to wait it out. When I hit the install update button from a PC in Plex Web, I noticed the update button flickered for a bit one time. Then when I remote logged into my server to check on the progress (there was nothing), I saw the PMS process had stopped and the icon disappeared from the system tray. After waiting a moment or two, the process started back up, icon reappeared in the system tray, and it was back up all properly updated. I've been doing server updates like this for a while now. Something broke the progress screen in a past update I think. I haven't bothered to make a post on the Plex forums because the server does update itself properly. I don't even remote in anymore to check. I just hit the update button and wait, heh.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did. To be honest, the only reason I updated was because I was sick of seeing the prompt to do so in Plex Web, ha. I let it do it's thing and the update seemed to roll out fine, but then it's trigged something really heavy by the looks of it and I can't see from here. Will be requesting my friend to reboot it in the morning and hope it stays stable then.

Hopefully it'll be a better result than last time, which meant about 2 days of trying dozens of different frameworks which absolutely refused to install properly, until I realised a bad windows update was stopping things from working.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Inspector 34 posted:

The Shield TV supports Google Live Channels (an app that is a TV Guide). Live Channels works with the HDHR; it pulls in the data and formats it in a very nice, and WMC (dare I say) like guide. I think HDHR even supports DVR functions with it now though you will want to check on that (it was promised last I checked about 8 or so months ago).

If all you use for TV is the HDHR with an Antenna and not cable card that is not only the way to go, it's a better way to go.

You can also use HDHRs app (which is on Android TV and other services) though its guide kind of blows and I don't know if they ever got around to supporting CableCard with it.

If CableCard is what you have then outside of Tivo WMC is the only real way to go and also you are hosed because CableCard and WMC are great ideas that all but died before Cord cutting became a mainstream thing...ironically enough.

Teagone has a good point though, Direct TV Now (which I am trying) is actually shaping up to be one of the best TV Streaming services, though it still needs work (no Cloud DVR yet). And the "lifetime" promo price of $35 ($40 with HBO, which includes HBO Go access) is hard to beat. You might find that works even better than what you are doing now, depending on what channels you like.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I've got the HDHR Prime, so it's using a cable card. I don't know what all problems people have had with WMC, but for the last month or two it worked perfect for what I wanted it to do. I knew going in that I'd eventually need to upgrade my server and get rid of the console's, but I didn't realize how limited my options would be past what I already have.

I think I will try and jump on this DirecTV Now promo and just try to scale back some of our other spending so it doesn't impact our budget. Then eventually we'll cut cable altogether.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I've got the HDHR Prime, so it's using a cable card. I don't know what all problems people have had with WMC, but for the last month or two it worked perfect for what I wanted it to do. I knew going in that I'd eventually need to upgrade my server and get rid of the console's, but I didn't realize how limited my options would be past what I already have.

I think I will try and jump on this DirecTV Now promo and just try to scale back some of our other spending so it doesn't impact our budget. Then eventually we'll cut cable altogether.

Honestly that is the best option available, if not the best option (you can try Vue/Sling, some prefer them, though DTV Now's lifetime price deal can't be beat right now). Widespread cablecard and ongoing WMC support, with perhaps even a little competition, would have been even better in many ways, but you know, in the US when it come to TV we can't have nice things. At least when it comes to "old school" TV which is what CC/WMC directly challenged in many ways.

The new, everything is an App model has improved a lot, and viewing habits are changing also to the point where for many it is truly great, but if you want to simply replicate the cable TV/cable box experience without having to deal with their poo poo hardware and "rental" pricing you are out of luck. The HDHR Prime (and its subpar competition) and WMC were the only real solutions, and it's time to be honest: that corpse may still twitch if you kick it, but it's still a corpse.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
WMC was the poo poo and ahead of its time.

...at the time. WMC + Xbox 360 👍🏻

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
HDHR finally installed! Hooray! I think it was a .Net update that finally allowed installation to complete. WMC was kind of a bastard to get back up and running, but appears to be good to go now so my setup is now back to it's gloriously obsolete, yet functional status.

Still probably going to check out DirecTV Now though and slowly transition away from cable, cablecards, and WMC so I don't get left out in the cold when everything ceases to work altogether. I assume once I'm off cable there will be no use for Plex DVR? It sounds like DVR functionality will be included with DTV Now at some point, so I guess I just point Plex at whatever folder it all gets dumped into and carry on. Is Plex DVR aimed more at people who just want to use the normal OTA HDHR setups?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Inspector 34 posted:

HDHR finally installed! Hooray! I think it was a .Net update that finally allowed installation to complete. WMC was kind of a bastard to get back up and running, but appears to be good to go now so my setup is now back to it's gloriously obsolete, yet functional status.

Still probably going to check out DirecTV Now though and slowly transition away from cable, cablecards, and WMC so I don't get left out in the cold when everything ceases to work altogether. I assume once I'm off cable there will be no use for Plex DVR? It sounds like DVR functionality will be included with DTV Now at some point, so I guess I just point Plex at whatever folder it all gets dumped into and carry on. Is Plex DVR aimed more at people who just want to use the normal OTA HDHR setups?

Plex DVR is for the "original" form of cord-cutting, i.e. OTA like you surmise. It's more useful outside of the US where digital channels without a dedicated STB are more plentiful, at least in some countries.

That said you may not want to do away with your setup, just the CableCard part. If the Prime can do regular OTA as well with an antenna you should keep it - DTV Now, and for that matter all other streaming services, doesn't do a great job with broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, etc.). Mostly due to licensing issues and whether the broadcast network owns the station in your area or if it is an affiliate.

For example, where I live in Austin I can only get Fox through DTV Now. And even in markets with more coverage there are restrictions, for example NBC doesn't allow streaming on some types of devices in any market. Etc. It's a real, and stupid, mess and the easiest way to cut through it is just to get those channels OTA. Plex DVR should be good for that still.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So what's the current state of Plex DVR? If guide browsing and recording scheduling was built into Plex for Android yet, we'd probably go with it.

We're currently using Win10 + NextPVR, though the client app is very crusty and I'm testing Kodi + Add-On to control it. I also own an Apple TV with Channels but of course my Dad hates the Siri Remote so much that he outright refuses to use it. Perhaps with Kodi I can take the moment to reprogram the Harmony One in a way to control it and also work with the ATV4 and give him a remote he'll be happy with.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Plex DVR is fine for what it is, but its programming guide and scheduler still aren't built into anything but the web app and you still can't watch live. There also hasn't been an update in a while.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You can watch live tv (I am right now just to see how it compares to DTV Now), and while it's not great it is there.

edit: Given the discussion here last night I'm thinking maybe this is because I'm one of the only dumb dumbs still using a cablecard

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 7, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Live/DVR OTA TV is one area Emby has Plex beat. If you are in to a Plex-like experience and want a good guide/tv setup that works across multiple clients and supports DVR and Live viewing as well you should try it out. Note it is really only meant for OTA/HDHR Extend but if your Cable company doesn't set any flags on most of its channels you can probably get that to work with it too.

I prefer Plex atm but I still have Emby running on my server as a backup. If Emby improves their mobile clients I'll probably switch back.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Got my email this evening saying I'm accepted on the Plex cloud beta. Anyone else doing it?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Any news on a Plex app for Firefox OS 2.0? I'm a bit bummed out cos I just got a new TV and I thought there was an app but nope. Is Chromecast my best option or is there a better way?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Chromecast is fine unless you're a sperg about needing everything to play without transcoding.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

TheScott2K posted:

Chromecast is fine unless you're a sperg about needing everything to play without transcoding.

Chromecast is fine until your internet goes out and then you can't use it once it realizes there's no internet and goes to the "hey this access point has no internet fix it already splash screen." Oh well.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

havenwaters posted:

Chromecast is fine until your internet goes out and then you can't use it once it realizes there's no internet and goes to the "hey this access point has no internet fix it already splash screen." Oh well.

I mean Rule #1 of all this poo poo is "have the internet" so I guess you're right but it doesn't matter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

I mean Rule #1 of all this poo poo is "have the internet" so I guess you're right but it doesn't matter.

No? I can stream Plex to my Roku without internet just fine, which is nice if it does happen to be out.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Speaking of no internet does this new Plex Media Player require it? I installed it yesterday on the same desktop that my media server is on and it kept prompting to claim the media server but when I tried to it that it seemed like it never actually did anything. This desktop is only ever connected to the internet to update the library.

I'm hoping not since it loaded up all of the library metadata just fine it just always popped up an error when trying to play anything.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

CFox posted:

Speaking of no internet does this new Plex Media Player require it? I installed it yesterday on the same desktop that my media server is on and it kept prompting to claim the media server but when I tried to it that it seemed like it never actually did anything. This desktop is only ever connected to the internet to update the library.

I'm hoping not since it loaded up all of the library metadata just fine it just always popped up an error when trying to play anything.

Depends on how you are connecting with the client, I think. Auto-discover should work on local lan but I think it does phone home so perhaps that's the problem. You should be able to manually specify your server ip though in the client and have it work.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

greazeball posted:

Any news on a Plex app for Firefox OS 2.0? I'm a bit bummed out cos I just got a new TV and I thought there was an app but nope. Is Chromecast my best option or is there a better way?

Firefox OS is dead, there will be no new apps.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

feedmegin posted:

No? I can stream Plex to my Roku without internet just fine, which is nice if it does happen to be out.

Weird. My Roku wouldn't see the Plex server I had locally while my internet was out. I think I'm just cursed when it comes to Roku though. Lots of crashing\weird behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Plex Lifetime is on sale for $120. More than the $75 special people get randomly offered, but possibly the only discount you'll ever see. How useful is the Sync/Download option for most people? Does it just download the original file or does it transcode into a format the device can play?