Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the terrible secret is the only good sports show was late-90's Scott Ferrall and that was because he was high as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There is another Michael Jordan documentary in the works.

It is 10 hours long :stare:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

DJExile posted:

There is another Michael Jordan documentary in the works.

It is 10 hours long :stare:

Does it touch on how his "retirement" was really a hush-hush suspension? Because it should.

edit: his first "retirement." Where he went and played baseball.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Does it touch on how his "retirement" was really a hush-hush suspension? Because it should.

edit: his first "retirement." Where he went and played baseball.

Wait, what?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
There's a conspiracy theory that he got caught gambling on basketball, but the NBA/Nike/etc didn't want to smear the good name of their cash cow, so they arranged for him to retire temporarily in lieu of a suspension.

Also his father was murdered because of Mike's unpaid gambling debts.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Kevyn posted:

There's a conspiracy theory that he got caught gambling on basketball, but the NBA/Nike/etc didn't want to smear the good name of their cash cow, so they arranged for him to retire temporarily in lieu of a suspension.

Also his father was murdered because of Mike's unpaid gambling debts.

This is by far my favorite silly-rear end Bill Simmons theory

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how much time they'll spend on him completely breaking Kwame Brown

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

GobiasIndustries posted:

I wonder how much time they'll spend on him completely breaking Kwame Brown

9.75 hours

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Michael Jordan's suspension was steroid related, SAS had an excellent thread on it awhile ago

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Michael Jordan's suspension was steroid related, SAS had an excellent thread on it awhile ago

That thread loving ruled

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if you have archives you can relive this proud moment in sports journalism

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bless you for finding this

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/espn-reveals-details-for-ric-flair-30-for-30-documentary-including-director-rory-karpf.html

FLAIR

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thats good, I watched I Hate Christian Laettener despite not knowing anything much about college basketball I enjoyed the entire thing.

As long as they know what's bullshit and not when it comes to the interviews.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 22, 2016

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Oh gently caress yes dude

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

"Karl Malone is well known to the be the hardest working man in the history of professional sports to the point that he selflessly abandoned multiple children just so he could work out more. Please do not derail this most serious of discussions with your pathetic troll attempts, or there will be consequences."

Owns

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

algebra testes posted:

Thats good, I watched I Hate Christian Laettener despite not knowing anything much about college basketball I enjoyed the entire thing.

Andy Bagwell (I think that's the name of the anti-Duke guy) single-handedly ruined that show. He came across like the whiniest rear end in a top hat I've ever seen.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Andy Bagwell (I think that's the name of the anti-Duke guy) single-handedly ruined that show. He came across like the whiniest rear end in a top hat I've ever seen.

Yeah that guy was such a dweeb. It makes me happy Laetenner made him so butthurt about sports

Brown Paper Bag fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 29, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Showtime is doing a documentary of Lawrence Phillips on December 16th

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

wayyyy loving in for this

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One of the other cool things about 30 for 30 is that it spawned a bunch of other docs non-ESPN outlets. Heck, I even sort of like the Football Life docs on NFL Network.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

One of the other cool things about 30 for 30 is that it spawned a bunch of other docs non-ESPN outlets. Heck, I even sort of like the Football Life docs on NFL Network.

I find the season/team ones interesting like the Houston team that imploded (lol buddy is such trash) and the last Browns season in Cleveland, and the ones about coaches to be generally good.

I also really liked the series (America's game?) about classic games. Although I have literally never seen them more than once or twice they seem hard to find. I saw one about the Cardiac Colts or something(?) with one of the Harbaugh brothers which was cool.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Niwrad posted:

For years before 30 for 30 existed, HBO was churning out great sports documentaries on the reg. To be honest though, other than their regular series like Hard Knocks, they haven't put out any good sports docs lately. Their Ghosts of Flatbush, 3 Seconds from Gold, the Miracle on Ice, and the doc about the Munich Olympics were all amazing and better than most 30 for 30 docs.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I really liked the Joe Namath one.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Who did that multi-part series about the AFL? Was it Showtime? Is there any way to watch that these days?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

algebra testes posted:

I find the season/team ones interesting like the Houston team that imploded (lol buddy is such trash) and the last Browns season in Cleveland, and the ones about coaches to be generally good.

I also really liked the series (America's game?) about classic games. Although I have literally never seen them more than once or twice they seem hard to find. I saw one about the Cardiac Colts or something(?) with one of the Harbaugh brothers which was cool.

a few years ago they were all on Hulu and I watched almost all of them. Dilfer is amazing in the Ravens one, he is so defensive and talks himself up as a star quarterback with zero self-awareness and this was before he was on TV all the time so that was novel.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

algebra testes posted:

America's Game is about super bowl winning teams (and the spinoffs they did about the best non Super Bowl winning teams). The classic games stuff is basically just an offshoot of the general NFL Films, I believe.

The NFL Network stuff is great IMO. I love A Football Life and Timeline.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kevyn posted:

Who did that multi-part series about the AFL? Was it Showtime? Is there any way to watch that these days?

Youtube has all the eps. online.

I'd recommend downloading and saving them before the NFL copyright stasi go all out and bring 'em down.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A 30 for 30 on John Calipari will premiere on ESPN on April 13th, right between the end of March Madness and the start of the NBA Playoffs

EDIT:

MAGIC/BIRD ONE TOO :toot:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 6, 2016

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Oh god it's from the guy that made The Best That Never Was. What a depressing film.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They signed a contract with Jonathan Hock to have right of first refusal on his docs.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
you guysssssssssssssssss

https://twitter.com/30for30/status/807794593051934720

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Wow it's directed by Dick Ebersol's son. That will definitely be all-access since the league was half-owned by NBC.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

RIP Rashaan Salaam

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yesssssssssss

E: loving lol
"The XFL is accused of selling out the dark side of gratuitous violence, tawdry titillation, lousy football, and scripted, low-life garbage."

Well thank loving god the NFL isn't anything like that at all :v:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 11, 2016

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

DJExile posted:

yesssssssssss

E: loving lol
"The XFL is accused of selling out the dark side of gratuitous violence, tawdry titillation, lousy football, and scripted, low-life garbage."

Well thank loving god the NFL isn't anything like that at all :v:

Well, the NFL pretends that it's not. That's what respectable purveyors of gratuitous violence, tawdry titillation, lousy football, and scripted, low-life garbage do.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ChickenMedium posted:

Well, the NFL pretends that it's not. That's what respectable purveyors of gratuitous violence, tawdry titillation, lousy football, and scripted, low-life garbage do.

The NFL comes across like it's ran by a bunch of upper class Ivy League WASP's.

It's been routinely challenged by the AFL, WFL, USFL and XFL because of that reason. Sadly, only the AFL and to a lesser extent USFL were able to encourage some sort of "change" when it comes to how it's ran.

The "fruits" of it's labor are finally bearing out. While leagues like the NBA,seem to be more...progressive on matters? The NFL just seems so backwards and dumb. They've changed their entire mindset. No longer is about Joe fan from Buffalo, but rather whatever upper class rear end in a top hat is willing to dole out the money for club seats.

How pathetic and sad that there are no owners of African American descent involved with the league? How about people in management within the leage? I think that right there speaks volumes to their current struggles.

Back to the topic at hand? I'm intrigued by this because the XFL itself is a fascinating concept, and one I do wish would have worked in retrospect. Save for Tourney time? It's very hard to find Saturday and Sunday programming during the Spring.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the XFL was amazing to watch, but for all the wrong reasons

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Awful Announcing brings up a couple interesting points, that for all the goofiness that the XFL was, they also really pushed forward on a lot of things you see in today's NFL and college broadcasts. Widespread use of the sky cam, cameras in huddles, players introducing themselves, live cameras in locker rooms, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

algebra testes posted:

I had to walk back my hate of Laettner a little after that one. I had no idea about his upbringing and it really changed how I felt about him and I was way too young to know anything about the rumors about him being gay (even if sexuality is a spectrum and, in 2016, I don't give a gently caress who he was loving in 1991). I still say he should have been kicked out of that game against Kentucky. :argh:

VikingSkull posted:

the XFL was amazing to watch, but for all the wrong reasons

Especially given what we know about the long term effects of football injuries and all the safety precautions they eliminated.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 12, 2016

• Locked thread