Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

4) We discovered that a server, managed by IBM, had been '# chmod 777 -R /'ed. The entire system was 777. So we got them on a call, one of those ones where it says peoples name when they join and drop. So we had us (the auditors) the people from the company and IBM on the call. We start walking them through the finding, hear someone say 'are you loving kidding me, who loving-' "John Smith, IBM has left the call"

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
today, a colleague wouldn't accept a phone call because i should "just set up a skype" for a 2 person phone call

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

We're such cheap fucks we charge for the poo poo in office coffee. want the bean water? fifty cents. pay up

what the heck, goddamn

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
free coffee is such a low bar it's practically a deal breaker. jfc wtf

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

fart simpson posted:

what the heck, goddamn

at one site we had a huge party when the coffee machine went free - there is one for the entire 1000 person building in the "cafe" area

was very happy to get transferred away from there

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
why would you charge your employees for coffee

dont you want them to be all cracked out?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

that site had a lot of hidden machines in people's cubes - especially nespressos for the europeans

this is of course verboten by facilities so there is a whole cat and mouse thing

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

but that, my friend, is a story for another time *smiles and pats an old dusty tome on the bookshelf titled YOSPOS COFFEE THREAD*

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

why would you charge your employees for coffee

dont you want them to be all cracked out?

in dense urban areas that's a good way to ensure your staff spends a lot of their day out of the office and in the Starbucks in the lobby or the actual good coffee place a block away

if you're in a suburban office or Bay Area hell campus idk how that works

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

but that, my friend, is a story for another time *smiles and pats an old dusty tome on the bookshelf titled YOSPOS COFFEE THREAD*

is that where we can learn of legendary coffee room wars?

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
morning scrum call

<after a great deal of arranging meetings>
PM: "Ok, well everyone have a good friday..."
Tech Guy: "Uh, hey, I have an update?"
PM: "Oh! Well we're not used to that on this morning call but go ahead...."

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i haven't read the full thread yet, can someone point me to the specific post that sparked the thread title (if it exists)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Podima posted:

i haven't read the full thread yet, can someone point me to the specific post that sparked the thread title (if it exists)

It's real and the whole thread is good

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779119&pagenumber=12&perpage=40#post464451469

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

DuckConference posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DuckConference posted:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i haven't had a shamrock shake in ages. they were real good, though

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

DuckConference posted:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
this is probably the best new thread of yospos 2016

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

uncurable mlady posted:

this is probably the best new thread of yospos 2016

eh, classic art memes or whatever was great as well to speak nothing of the mome thread.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i liked the figgie threads

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the figgie threads were real good but quickly soured as dipshits who Didn't Get It moved in

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
who was the guy who thought that 6.5 figgies was 150k or something

that guy owned

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Syncopated posted:

eh, classic art memes or whatever was great as well to speak nothing of the mome thread.

Classic art was probably the best thread but this one is real good too

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

i liked the figgie threads

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Syncopated posted:

the classic art thread made it to my facebook feed so that one was def. the most successful

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rex-Goliath posted:

the classic art thread made it to my facebook feed so that one was def. the most successful

There was some Tumblr or something that did it first but we did it more and better

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

This belongs here cause it's my favorite 'clueless executive' moment

quote:

In an anecdote from an unnamed former employee, Khalaf walked into one team meeting about Tumblr saying the popular blogging platform was going to be the new PDF.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Captain Foo posted:

Classic art was probably the best thread but this one is real good too

I forgot about that thread but yeah, that was probably better

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

uncurable mlady posted:

I forgot about that thread but yeah, that was probably better

that was the best of yospos nerd joke creativity, but this is the best real-world horror thread imo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Let's try to avoid stack ranking threads

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
friday morning we had a conference call with one of our divisions. i clarified at the time that the list of URLs we'd want to use is in this here spreadsheet, and we want the stuff specifically from the QA3 tab. we're using QA3. not QA1.

i followed this up with an email after the call to clarify: QA3.

shortly ago i get an email. the division rep, who had been on the call and got that email, used a link and was getting errors. i asked if she could send the URL. it was QA1.

so i clarified again, just to be sure: plz use QA3. QA1 isn't configured for this. we need to do all testing in QA3.

she replies to say she sees a tab called QA3 in the spreadsheet, and asks if this is what she should be using.

so what are the symptoms of a brain hemorrhage again?

also unrelated, just got promoted. it comes with a title change, more money, and nothing else different at all. gg me.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

that's nice. our promotions tend to be a title change, more work, and the same money

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Iridium posted:

friday morning we had a conference call with one of our divisions. i clarified at the time that the list of URLs we'd want to use is in this here spreadsheet, and we want the stuff specifically from the QA3 tab. we're using QA3. not QA1.

i followed this up with an email after the call to clarify: QA3.

shortly ago i get an email. the division rep, who had been on the call and got that email, used a link and was getting errors. i asked if she could send the URL. it was QA1.

so i clarified again, just to be sure: plz use QA3. QA1 isn't configured for this. we need to do all testing in QA3.

she replies to say she sees a tab called QA3 in the spreadsheet, and asks if this is what she should be using.

so what are the symptoms of a brain hemorrhage again?

also unrelated, just got promoted. it comes with a title change, more money, and nothing else different at all. gg me.

From years of dealing with poo poo like this the solution is always:

1) Delete all tabs except the one you want them to use.

2) screenshot the information you want them to see

3) giant arrows

My old boss once chided me for treating people like children. Then got 3 "gold stars" from the clients for providing them with clear, concise instructions.

Also, don't get me started on the gold stars, the email awards you get which have no monetary value but serves as a corporate thank you.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

From years of dealing with poo poo like this the solution is always:

1) Delete all tabs except the one you want them to use.

2) screenshot the information you want them to see

3) giant arrows

My old boss once chided me for treating people like children. Then got 3 "gold stars" from the clients for providing them with clear, concise instructions.

Also, don't get me started on the gold stars, the email awards you get which have no monetary value but serves as a corporate thank you.

totally agree! my limitation in this case is that i'm working from someone else's spreadsheet. what i had done was filter out to the relevant info, print that to a small PDF, sent that around (but with a link to the full spreadsheet for visibility, since they will eventually need QA1 etc) to keep them focused on the right poo poo

someone just had her go around it to the master list.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
45 minutes into the meeting: nnnnnnNNNNRRRRGH *splashpfffrtttttfrtttt*

immediate meeting collapse as everyone either cracks up or exclaims in disgust

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

pro post-av combo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

excellent

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
me- Ok, so I guess my concern is the process side. We want to make sure if <group> is working on this they have all the details they need.
vendor- well this one's much more complex and is probably better suited to an admin role, like Lynn than the casual editors you have in <group>
me- Ah, ok. So we'll have to wait until she's back tomorrow so we can scope the workload for us.
Other tech- right but she's pretty heavily loaded but she's already been working with <group>, maybe they can handle it.
vendor- no, just to be clear, this is a much more detailed level of effort than <group> has been working on. it's really more at Lynn's speed.
PM- ok so what i'm hearing is that we need to get this documented so that <group> can get to work on it.
vendor- ... no. <explains again>

5 MINUTES LATER

PM- ok, action items, we need to get the documentation for <group>....

• Locked thread