Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The guillotine is a metaphor. I mean, haha, I'm not actually advocating violence.

*staff hurriedly throws a tarp over a large vertical object on a nearby raised wooden platform, kicks large wicker basket behind curtain*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

*pats the guillotine*

"her name is Wealth Redistribution"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My main issues with using drones to kill US citizens abroad is how the hell do you equip a drone with a guillotine?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
"MizPiz, you have made posts calling journalists cowards, corporate fuckboys, and the absolute scum of the Ear-"

"Only Peter Daou."

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

greatn posted:

My main issues with using drones to kill US citizens abroad is how the hell do you equip a drone with a guillotine?

just equip it with a big old blade on the nose of it and fly it into the person's neck. bing bong boom, so simple. Trump is going to save a lot of money on missiles by implementing this new technology.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Peter Daou has been killing it, no one else has a chance.

https://twitter.com/ShitAccountTour/status/808356026504331264

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

MizPiz posted:

"MizPiz, you have made posts calling journalists cowards, corporate fuckboys, and the absolute scum of the Ear-"

"Only Peter Daou."

"Oh, right then, perfectly reasonable. We will move on."

Serf
May 5, 2011

bring back cursing too. people who don't curse are weird, and it adds to the inhuman-ness of politicians that they never drop anything worse than a drat or a hell

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's malarkey.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

greatn posted:

Are you somehow unaware of the historical documentary The Flying Guillotine?

greatn posted:

That's malarkey.

Balderdash!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

"Anime Schoolgirl, what of your pro-gun stance? Surely that--"

"i'm gonna stop you there, the working class loves guns, especially black and latino working class. a subsidized garand for every one of them. the people who don't want guns, namely you pearl-clutchers, just won't have one!"

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Mister Hackman Fan, can you, in good conscience, call yourself a fan of Gene Hackman when you yourself have yet to see French Connection II?"

"Dude, I just want a route 44 blue coconut slush."

Serf
May 5, 2011

greatn posted:

That's malarkey.

I'd love to see this come back too. just start using all sorts of colorful language and be casual too. talk like normal people when you're talking to normal people

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Serf posted:

I'd love to see this come back too. just start using all sorts of colorful language and be casual too. talk like normal people when you're talking to normal people
people cheered when bernie said "drat"

let's multiply that by 11

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Serf posted:

bring back cursing too. people who don't curse are weird, and it adds to the inhuman-ness of politicians that they never drop anything worse than a drat or a hell

Yeah I'm so loving sick of the focus group-tested weirdo politician speak, if nothing else I hope Trump starts a trend away from that.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/808368390402408448

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"Mr. Kropoopkin, you once posted that NKVD chief Yezhov was 'a secret policeman I could have a beer with.' How do you respond?"

Look, sometimes nice guys gotta do nasty things. Just like our troops. So to all the nasty people of America I say, "I LOVE NASTY PEOPLE!"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the political analogue to taking mortgages out on lottery tickets

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The religious right didn't decline in relevance. They bent the knee early to Trump, and might even get a concession or two out of him. It's just like how they got Reagan elected governor of California. They're not irrelevant at all, because they're still a decisive voting bloc.

Bending the knee right away isn't exactly throwing your political weight around. Irrelevant is probably the wrong word, but the moral crusade seems abandoned as a strategy.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
What are they going to call the Clinton Campaign after Jan 20th.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

BREAKING

JUST IN

MUST SEE

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Serf posted:

I blame the right for this. Conservatives hate foul language much much more than they hate bad ideas, see the way they freak out every time a politician does accidentally let a swear drop

Their takeaway from the "drat emails" comment was "BERNIE DID A SWEAR :wth:"

Like, it doesn't even matter what you're saying when you swear, the swear matters more. Tell them "I want to cut your loving taxes" and they won't even hear anything other than the F-bomb

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Bending the knee right away isn't exactly throwing your political weight around. Irrelevant is probably the wrong word, but the moral crusade seems abandoned as a strategy.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

I blame the right for this. Conservatives hate foul language much much more than they hate bad ideas, see the way they freak out every time a politician does accidentally let a swear drop

Like, it doesn't even matter what you're saying when you swear, the swear matters more. Tell them "I want to cut your loving taxes" and they won't even hear anything other than the F-bomb

pretend I posted that video of the Trump surrogate getting mad at Anna Navarro for repeating what Trump said about grabbing pussies.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
"quite frankly, if my opponent can't manage to find damning naked pictures of me online, of which there are thousands, he doesn't have the acumen to lead in this increasingly technological world"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

"Anime Schoolgirl, what of your pro-gun stance? Surely that--"

"i'm gonna stop you there, the working class loves guns, especially black and latino working class. a subsidized garand for every one of them. the people who don't want guns, namely you pearl-clutchers, just won't have one!"

Not subsidized, seized. Arming the citizenry should be the duty of our domestic arms manufacturers.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah they've basically become Trump's bitch even more than I expected, they don't even really push back when he says things that they would consider heresy, like gay marriage being settled law.

They got Trump elected but they have little power over what he does, their best hope is to just mindlessly suck up (which is how Falwell got the job offer). Back in the 90s these guys has Republican politicians by the balls and could dictate their every move.

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Dec 12, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ace of Baes posted:

Clinton Rump Government

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Not subsidized, seized. Arming the citizenry should be the duty of our domestic arms manufacturers.
the seizure will be in volumes measured by how much the arms manufacturers funded private prisons, the more they funded them, the more arms are seized

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah they've basically become Trump's bitch even more than I expected, they don't even really push back when he says things that they would consider heresy, like gay marriage being settled law.

Yeah, but abortion is gonna be a states' rights issue. Ya win some, ya lose some.

Serf
May 5, 2011

loquacius posted:

but I guarantee the average voter on the ground respected him more for that moment of humanity

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Interesting take from Adam Curtis on what a new left movement might look like, if it happens. [Obligatory soundtrack]

quote:

You ask what real change might look like and that's a really interesting question for liberals and radicals. Because there is a hunger for change out there, among millions of people who feel sort of insecure, uncertain about the future and do want something, do want that to change.

I think that change only comes from a big, imaginative idea. A picture of another kind of future. Which connects with that fearfulness in the back of people's mind and offers them a release from it. That's the key thing. But I think the question for liberals and radicals is, is that they are always suspicious of big ideas. That what lurks underneath the liberal mindset. And the reason is, and they're quite right in a way, is - look what happened last time, when millions of people got swept up in a big idea. Look up the last hundred years at what happened in Russia and then in Germany. The point is, political changes are frightening. It's scary. It's thrilling, because it's dynamic and doing something to change the world - but it is scary, because it can change things in ways where nothing is secure: it's like being in a earthquake. Even the solid ground underneath you, begins to move and things dissolve that you think are solid and real.

And I think the question liberals and the Left have to face at the moment is a really sort of difficult question, which is: Do you really want change? Do you really want it? Because if you do, many of them might find themselves in a very uncertain world, where they might lose all sorts of things. I mean, what we're talking about in many cases is people who are sort of the centre of society at the moment, they're not tied to the margins. They would have a lot to lose from real political change, because is really would change things in the structure of power.

Or... and this is the brutal question, do you just want things to change a little bit - do you just want the banks to be a little bit nicer say, or people to be a little bit more respectful for each other's identities. All of this is good, but basic play. You carry on living in a nice world, where you tinker with it. That's the key question. But you can't just sit there forever, worrying about big ideas. Because there are millions of people out there, who do want change. And the key thing is: they feel they got nothing to lose. You might have lots to lose, but they feel they got absolutely nothing to lose. But at the moment, they're being led by the right.

So things won't remain the same, but society may go off in ways you really don't want.

In an answer to your question what you need is a powerful vision of the future - with all it's dangers, but it's also quite thrilling. It will be an escape from the staticness of the world that we have today. And to do that, you got to engage with the giant forces of power that now run the world at the moment. The key thing is, is that in confronting those powers and trying to transform the world you might lose a lot. This is a sort of forgotten idea, that actually you surrender yourself up to a big idea and in the process you might lose something. But you'd actually gain, in a bigger sense, because you changed the world for the better. I know it sounds soppy, but sort of this is the forgotten thing about politics: it's that you give up some of your individualism to something bigger than yourself, you surrender yourself. And it's a lost idea.

And I think really an answer to your question is: you can spot real change happening, when you see people from their liberal middle classes beginning to give themselves up to something. Surrender themselves to something bigger than themselves... and at the moment there is nothing like that in the liberal imagination.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ace of Baes posted:

Whatever the main character's rebel army in the Hunger Games was called, but it's a Clinton reference.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
The amount of weak willed liberals hanging onto the naive fantasy that trump will be impeached/actually pence will be the one ruling/etc is honestly loving disgusting

We deserved to lose. Liberals are a loving embarrassment.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Joementum posted:

Interesting take from Adam Curtis on what a new left movement might look like, if it happens. [Obligatory soundtrack]

Thanks for continuing to post interesting poo poo from around the internet, Joe.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Just laffo if you don't think that 2016 won't just restart and that we're all in a Groundhog Day scenario, except for a whole year

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

logikv9 posted:

Just laffo if you don't think that 2016 won't just restart and that we're all in a Groundhog Day scenario, except for a whole year

can i keep a usb drive with my thesis on it? really dont feel like rewriting 30+ pages endlessly

Serf
May 5, 2011

logikv9 posted:

why do this when 2017 is guaranteed to be 1000x worse

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Raskolnikov38 posted:

can i keep a usb drive with my thesis on it? really dont feel like rewriting 30+ pages endlessly

No, but you'll have a chance to commit it to memory after writing it 30-40 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Thanks for continuing to post interesting poo poo from around the internet, Joe.

Go ahead and listen to the whole interview.

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-65-no-future-feat-adam-curtis-121216

smdh if you haven't seen HyperNormalisation yet

• Locked thread