Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Khisanth Magus posted:

You know, seeing all the stuff that they are planning to add on to the game, I really wish they had just pushed the game back another 6 months and actually finished it before releasing. I know they would have gotten a lot of flack from rabid gamers, but all the stuff they are working on adding sounds like it would make a genuinely better game, and the very concept of actually adding in whole new story points to the main story that aren't just added side quests, or stuff that takes place after the story, is just kind of weird in my mind. Games with rushed gameplay that are patched later on is pretty normal at this point, but patching a rushed story is just rather bizarre.

I just got to chapter 3, but after seeing their update goals I'm thinking I'll just stop playing until summer, see what kind of game it's become by then. When it was just performance upgrades & bug fixes I was indifferent because I don't care too much about framerates and Ignis hopping on one foot during cutscenes is a feature as far as I'm concerned, but if they're adding story content and basically developing the game post launch then I'd rather not go any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Yodzilla posted:

Level numbers mean incredibly little in FFXV, especially for hunt targets. If you want to get a good idea of what level you need to be for a hunt target the general rule seems to be add 10 - 20 onto the targets level as they're way harder than the same level, same creature that's not part of a hunt.

Would levels start mattering more once you get more of those stat Ascension upgrades?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Gravy Jones posted:

So far the few "errand" quest chains I've kept going on have ended up leading to something, but that something wasn't essential and you might still be able to do it without doing the quests anyway, not sure about the last bit.

Non-plot spoilers: The two chains I've finished both ended up in a dungeon where there was one of those royal weapons. What I'm not sure about is whether or not the quests openned those dungeons or you can just go there and get the weapon without doing them and the quests just point you in the right direction. I've also never used one of these weapons so I have no idea how important they are.

The frog lady's last one is loving hard, but the reward is very much worth the effort. Though I suppose it isn't essential since you can gain the same effect from a food buff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

I just got to chapter 3, but after seeing their update goals I'm thinking I'll just stop playing until summer, see what kind of game it's become by then. When it was just performance upgrades & bug fixes I was indifferent because I don't care too much about framerates and Ignis hopping on one foot during cutscenes is a feature as far as I'm concerned, but if they're adding story content and basically developing the game post launch then I'd rather not go any further.

Theyre adding a new game plus. The core story is, relatively short, so there isnt a real reason to not play as is and finish it then come back way down the line to blitz through on ng+

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Barudak posted:

Theyre adding a new game plus. The core story is, relatively short, so there isnt a real reason to not play as is and finish it then come back way down the line to blitz through on ng+

Aren't they adding new story beats, characters, creatures and the like? I heard it was a more involved update plan than putting in new game+

I'm not saying I dislike the game or regret the purchase either, but if they really are planning on redoing or adding to parts of the game I'd rather just wait and see. There's so much stuff out now or coming soon that I want to play, so it's not really an issue to put this on hold.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Hoping for Jared dlc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Aren't they adding new story beats, characters, creatures and the like? I heard it was a more involved update plan than putting in new game+

I'm not saying I dislike the game or regret the purchase either, but if they really are planning on redoing or adding to parts of the game I'd rather just wait and see. There's so much stuff out now or coming soon that I want to play, so it's not really an issue to put this on hold.

You'll be waiting a year or more, and unless SE puts in unprecedented amounts of effort for patching in free content you're not going to see much improvement anyway. Making FF15's script whole and complete is the kind of undertaking not even CD Projekt Red would do for nothing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ROFL Octopus posted:

Would levels start mattering more once you get more of those stat Ascension upgrades?

Numbers absolutely matter to a point, but hunt monsters throw off that calculation.They are orders of magnitude tougher than creatures of their type. There is also a food you can eat at one of the cafe's in Lestallum that gives you an ability that raises your damage the greater your level difference is from the enemy. Numbers allow you to do more damage and more HP gives you a cushion, but someone said earlier in the thread that getting hit is an absolute failure state, so don't do that. On screen prompts can help you out, but timed blocks/dodges are far more important. Getting good at that makes weapons like the greatsword viable against even the fastest enemies.

There will come a point where you are always capping out 9999 on blindsides and link strikes, so you still have to be an active player to avoid getting ruined on harder enemies. I haven't used wait mode, but some folks here have reported it helps a lot if you're getting overwhelmed early on.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Levantine posted:

There will come a point where you are always capping out 9999 on blindsides and link strikes, so you still have to be an active player to avoid getting ruined on harder enemies. I haven't used wait mode, but some folks here have reported it helps a lot if you're getting overwhelmed early on.

I have no idea how anyone can reliably target a specific enemy (or a specific part of a specific enemy) without using wait mode. Even without the hyperactive camera I'd find it a struggle. It definitely makes things easier when things get hectic, and really helped me get to grips with the combat system. It's also one of those tools where, the more you use it, the less you need to use it. But for targetting and libra, I couldn't live without it now!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

slev posted:

Hoping for Jared dlc

The saga of Jared is great as it is. Anything more would just ruin the storytelling.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

At the point near the end where you look at your photos to choose which one to take with you, I was clicking on all of them to hear the different comments they make on each photo and accidentally selected a photo of Vyv. I said it was the one I wanted because I thought it was funny when they give you the chance to backtrack on it but boy did it ruin the post credits stinger's mood. Probably better than my original choice of a photo of Noct and Iris for the sake of Noct and Luna's spirit world marriage though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Calling for a mod change the name to Final Fantasy XV: Jared Limit Broke My Heart

don't actually

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Andrast posted:

The saga of Jared is great as it is. Anything more would just ruin the storytelling.

Bad Grampa 2 tie-in DLC

So far nothing in this game has amused me more than how much everyone love's Talcott, how much they look forward to seeing Talcott and how enthusiastic they are about running errands for Talcott. I'm convinced that making no effort whatsoever to make Talcott a remotely endearing or interesting character in any way is part of the joke.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Obviously the most important thing they should add to the game is the ability to customize your party postgame.

I need Iris healing my rear end every so often, I hemorrhage HP.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gravy Jones posted:

I have no idea how anyone can reliably target a specific enemy (or a specific part of a specific enemy) without using wait mode. Even without the hyperactive camera I'd find it a struggle. It definitely makes things easier when things get hectic, and really helped me get to grips with the combat system. It's also one of those tools where, the more you use it, the less you need to use it. But for targetting and libra, I couldn't live without it now!

I never tried it and ended up just learning the game that way I guess. All combat is completely hyper-kinetic with Noctis constantly warp-striking to gain positional advantage when he's not parrying for huge damage. I'm glad Wait mode exists and folks are getting use out if it, and it may even be optimal, but I never found myself wanting to use it.

edit: I may have missed something, but was Jared one of Reggie's running buddies?

Levantine fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 12, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Pyroi posted:

Obviously the most important thing they should add to the game is the ability to customize your party postgame.

I need Iris healing my rear end every so often, I hemorrhage HP.

Having her healing me for a dungeon was such a huge benefit it made me sad she wasn't permanent. and then Ignis loses the ability to use the only other non-item healing for a significant part of the latter part of the game.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Levantine posted:

I never tried it and ended up just learning the game that way I guess. All combat is completely hyper-kinetic with Noctis constantly warp-striking to gain positional advantage when he's not parrying for huge damage. I'm glad Wait mode exists and folks are getting use out if it, and it may even be optimal, but I never found myself wanting to use it.

edit: I may have missed something, but was Jared one of Reggie's running buddies?

I think he was Gladio's family's butler.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

You'll be waiting a year or more, and unless SE puts in unprecedented amounts of effort for patching in free content you're not going to see much improvement anyway. Making FF15's script whole and complete is the kind of undertaking not even CD Projekt Red would do for nothing.

Then I'll wait. By god, I'll wait... or not.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Then I'll wait. By god, I'll wait... or not.

Waiting is honestly a good choice. I loving love the game but the low points are *really* visibly bad. At the very worst, the updates will be QoL type updates that are worth holding on for, IMO.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Just kicked the poo poo out of Naglfar :smug:

And by that I mean Leviathan and Armiger chains did most of the damage while I desperately tried to keep everyone alive by burning through restoratives. GG

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Khisanth Magus posted:

Having her healing me for a dungeon was such a huge benefit it made me sad she wasn't permanent. and then Ignis loses the ability to use the only other non-item healing for a significant part of the latter part of the game.

Yeah, I bought 99 Hi-potions for the endgame, and by the time I finished it I had gone through all but 10 of them.

Of course part of that was because I never noticed the node on the Sphere Grid that let my allies heal themselves when low on HP.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Terper posted:

Calling for a mod change the name to Final Fantasy XV: Jared Limit Broke My Heart

don't actually

Please do.

Baron Corbyn posted:

At the point near the end where you look at your photos to choose which one to take with you, I was clicking on all of them to hear the different comments they make on each photo and accidentally selected a photo of Vyv. I said it was the one I wanted because I thought it was funny when they give you the chance to backtrack on it but boy did it ruin the post credits stinger's mood. Probably better than my original choice of a photo of Noct and Iris for the sake of Noct and Luna's spirit world marriage though.

Vyv is the perfect goon choice.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm beginning to regret my choice to devote most of my AP to the magic tree. Magic is pretty awesome and a great source of damage, but you are completely dependent upon finding extract points, and you can burn through your magic quickly.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you don't constantly do Vyv's arm waving animation in your real life, you aren't a true goon. Sorry but it's true

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I'm starting to grind out some AP for some of the 333 skills. Which are the best to go for? I have Health III, 3 Accessories for Noctis, Quicker Tech and Point Blank warp crits. I feel like Critical Link is worthless without also breaking the limit on links because as it stand all my links do 9999 already. Should I just get the 99 medkits for each teammate before starting on the third accessories for each person?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

^ either Critical Link or Impervious depending on how you play (if you have good reflexes, this skill is broken as all gently caress). For example, it can negate Coeurl's AOE

It just occurred to me to Vyv could be read as Vivi :shittypop:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wait a second, you can keep a lockon? R1+R3?

poo poo, it's been 40h holding r1....

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Wait a second, you can keep a lockon? R1+R3?

poo poo, it's been 40h holding r1....

I've tried doing this several times and didn't notice it working :shrug:

I feel like I lose lock-on regularly even just holding R1 though

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I needed Jorge Garcia to voice Vyv. It really threw me when this gruff voice came out of Eos-Hurley.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Soul Glo posted:

I've tried doing this several times and didn't notice it working :shrug:

I feel like I lose lock-on regularly even just holding R1 though

It works but it seems like if your target breaks line of sight you lose the lock-on regardless.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I like that the goon is the most loaded person in the world. He can throw like 20k at you for a photo that anyone can take.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I finished the game yesterday and thought I'd organize my thoughts a little into pros and cons:

Pros:
  • Fun central cast with lots of personality. I came away liking them all a hell of a lot more than I expected to, given their initial cheesy J-rock aesthetic. Prompto especially grew on me, who, while not being my favorite, was definitely on my poo poo list on day one because he looked annoying. Everybody contributed to the mood in their own special way. Iris and Ardyn were also highlights.
  • Fun, zippy combat that never got old, even when some of the scenarios did. Each weapon type felt varied and each was equally viable. The Royal Arms were a neat idea to throw some super weapons into the mix without making them a crutch. Even the big, dumb anime fights were a fun spectacle.
  • The magic system. They really made casting spells this bombastic experience, even casting a basic fire spell felt like you were smiting something instead of the usual "light a firecracker in someone's face for minimal damage". It was fun tinkering with all the different effects you could slap onto a spell, and it gave value to all the poo poo you'd normally sell in a JRPG. I liked the feeling of going into a dungeon with a loadout of spells and effects that would best serve me instead of having a shallow pool I could continually cast from.
  • A lot of people don't like how they handled summons in this iteration, but I'm definitely one of the ones that did. I never liked summons just being another spell you could cast - if you have this nuke spell in your arsenal, why wouldn't you use it? Again, the thing with crutches. FFXV actually had the summons manifest their personalities in their mechanics - the gods are fickle and capricious, and they help out on their terms, not yours. Sometimes this help isn't welcome, but more often than not it saved me from a nasty fight. Shiva deigned to come out and slaughter the Behemoth King in Ch.14 for me
  • Exploration was fun and followed and intuitive flow. Drive to a hub, do quests that radiate out from that hub, discover campsites to branch out further, eventually find a new hub when your quest objectives start overlapping. It's fun to just cruise around listening to old FF music with your bros, and chocobos are the best they've ever been. I really feel like the feeling of being on an extended camping trip is at the core of this experience, and I think they came close to nailing this aspect.
  • A genuinely effecting ending. The last major set pieces ooze atmosphere and might be the strongest ending to a mainline FF in decades.

Cons:
  • The biggest flaw of the game, in my opinion, are the missing story beats. What happened to Gladio when he went off on his own, and what happened in the several weeks following Altissia to make him such a douche to Noct? How exactly was Ignis blinded? How does Prompto just drop the bombshell that he's an MT (a synthetic demon-based lifeform) and we get nothing out of it but quick acceptance? Why did Ardyn want to destroy the world? Why was Luna dying? Why was Ravus being treated as a sympathetic character, and what were his motivations? Who or what is Niflheim, as an in-game entity? So much left unexplored. Here's hoping the DLC does something to change that. The story has a lot of issues but on a basic level I think it's just half-finished. At least it didn't end on a sequel hook?
  • Forgettable secondary and tertiary characters. The only side characters who's names I remember are the ones who have reached meme status by having no personality, so make of that what you will. If you're not on the main cast you're a nobody.
  • Ch.13 was indeed as bad as I was led to believe. Without spoiling anything, the question you will be asking yourself throughout it's 2+ hours is "what is this nondescript corridor supposed to be telling me that the last one didn't?" The challenge doesn't come from gameplay, but tedium. Do you have the mental fortitude to make it through? On the plus side, you'll be glad you did.
  • Most quests are forgettable collectathons. You'll be used to this sort of thing if you spent any time with Dragon's Dogma or Dragon Age: Inquisition.
  • Your inability to manually pilot the Regalia was a huge let-down. Holding R2 to drive on a rail is not driving. It may as well have been a train.
  • The few stealth sections were poorly implemented and in some cases nonsensical. Why would you waste my time forcing me to sneak into a base that you then force me to fight my way out of?
  • MT fights start getting tedious around the time lv.47 assassins start raining on your head every 5 steps you take. I heard from another poster that these constant attacks are triggered by passing over certain thresholds on the map, which would be fine if they had a cooldown after being triggered but this leads most people to get attacked 3-4 times every time they go out hunting. Thankfully they're easy to run from if you're on foot or chocobo, but having to abandon your car and pay Cindy to tow it a few feet down the road away from the MTs was tedious.
  • The Wait system was weird. It has its own Ascension tree and feels vital to many encounters but for some reason it wasn't the default play setting? Probably because the combat feels really choppy and annoying with it on and they knew it. Still, it was there, and there's a whole tree of abilities you can't make use of without it, and no way to scan in real-time. A better system would have been manual pause-and-play where you hold down a button to pause instead of the game just pausing automatically every time Noctis stops moving, and some means of using Libra in real-time would have been nice. As it is I don't know how to play the game. You genuinely miss out by disabling scan features but it ruins the flow of the combat. It's definitely a "pick your poison" scenario akin to Witcher control schemes.

In summary my conclusion is the same as most of us - this is a deeply flawed game that miraculously manages to be more than the sum of its parts, another trait it shares with Dragon's Dogma. The combat and the central cast seem to be the game's main strengths, and the story its main weakness. I plan to keep playing post-game stuff and might even do another go-round if they patch up the story.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

What's the in game explanation for how the boys are able to climb this molten lava to get a quick pic of a cave?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ROFL Octopus posted:

I like that the goon is the most loaded person in the world. He can throw like 20k at you for a photo that anyone can take.

He's rich as hell running all these scoops with prompto's instagram photos and yet our poor man Dino is so hard up as a reporter he has to moonlight as a jeweler. Life is simply unfair in Eos

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Deified Data posted:

what happened in the several weeks following Altissia to make him such a douche to Noct? How exactly was Ignis blinded? Why did Ardyn want to destroy the world? Why was Luna dying? Why was Ravus being treated as a sympathetic character, and what were his motivations? Who or what is Niflheim, as an in-game entity?

Gladio has always been hard on Noct. He sees it as his job. He also gets easily frustrated. He was mad at Noctis for seemingly barely caring about Ignis's situation. (Personally I've never thought it was important how he was blinded but it is for others so hey)

Ardyn wanted to gently caress over the gods because they stripped him of his name and afterlife and duty as the original Chosen One and gave it to the Izunia family, Noctis's ancestors.

Making Covenants with the Astrals is dangerous and causes great physical harm.

Ravus hated both Niflheim for invading his home and killing his mother, and Lucis because he felt it was their presence which made them invade. Ravus fights to the top of the Niff chain of command so he can gain access to the Ring of Lucii which would give him enough power to destroy Niflheim. That doesn't work out, and instead Luna convinces him to trust in Noctis, so he uses his position to make some huge tactical blunders and cause great devastation to the Niff army (Leviathan).

Niflheim is the enemy nation that invades Lucis. Not sure what your question is?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:lol: I managed to get a Ramuh summon during a big fight in the firebase where they're holding the regalia and I'd already drat near killed everything. Only thing left was a walker robot thing I'd already busted the leg off of. Thanks bro, ace timing. You nuked the poo poo out of a wounded mech, I bet you feel really godlike now.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

FAUXTON posted:

:lol: I managed to get a Ramuh summon during a big fight in the firebase where they're holding the regalia and I'd already drat near killed everything. Only thing left was a walker robot thing I'd already busted the leg off of. Thanks bro, ace timing. You nuked the poo poo out of a wounded much, I bet you feel really godlike now.

That one is scripted. There's more later in the game.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That one is scripted. There's more later in the game.

Well it sure was dope to watch even if it was an incredible amount of overkill. I did that one around level 38 and already had the engine blade III and upgraded bioblaster.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Terper posted:

Gladio has always been hard on Noct. He sees it as his job. He also gets easily frustrated. He was mad at Noctis for seemingly barely caring about Ignis's situation. (Personally I've never thought it was important how he was blinded but it is for others so hey)

Ardyn wanted to gently caress over the gods because they stripped him of his name and afterlife and duty as the original Chosen One and gave it to the Izunia family, Noctis's ancestors.

Making Covenants with the Astrals is dangerous and causes great physical harm.

Ravus hated both Niflheim for invading his home and killing his mother, and Lucis because he felt it was their presence which made them invade. Ravus fights to the top of the Niff chain of command so he can gain access to the Ring of Lucii which would give him enough power to destroy Niflheim. That doesn't work out, and instead Luna convinces him to trust in Noctis, so he uses his position to make some huge tactical blunders and cause great devastation to the Niff army (Leviathan).

Niflheim is the enemy nation that invades Lucis. Not sure what your question is?

Niflheim are cartoon villains with no real motivation for doing anything they're doing. I often wondered how this non-entity was capable of holding an entire continent with virtually zero infrastructure other than robots. How many Nifs do you actually meet? I think the only reference to there being any people in Niflheim was a throwaway reference to civilians hiding in their homes.

Not saying they don't make sense in the bare-bones context they're presented in, just that fighting villains with no personality is boring so I consider it a flaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Boy do I wish hunts felt more organic. You need to be able to accept more at once and for the beasts to just be out in the world for you to search for and find. As it stands now it's just another series of fetch quests but with a fight at the end and it gets old fast.

• Locked thread