Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

LODGE NORTH posted:

You don't even have to jailbreak to pirate apps anymore.

I was using it for lame theme changes but if it was causing the battery problems it wasn't worth to keep. Icons flying around isn't that cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

goodness posted:

Did Apple make something that allows a demo or what's the better way?

The cool kids just ask for refunds.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So much risk in all those .99 apps.

I guess there are more expensive apps that I'd be pissed about buying only to find out they suck. But I've had no problem getting Apple to refund app purchases that were buggy or misrepresented themselves.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

goodness posted:

Did Apple make something that allows a demo or what's the better way?

Yes. But technically its :filez: since we all know "I just demo then buy [214hours played]" is how it looks, really.

What do you possibly need to demo ..?
Also demo versions used to be popular in the early days, but no one liked the concept really as people who wanted to 'demo' fell into the 'actually use in perpetuity whilst claiming i don't see the worth in it'.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

LODGE NORTH posted:

You don't even have to jailbreak to pirate apps anymore.

Is that the thing where you use iFunBox or whatever to sideload the .ipa onto your phone? I'm astounded that works.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I'm about to do a backup and restore via PC harddrive (not icloud), will my photos still be sorted by date and location in Photos? Will it preserved my playcount data and most played songs in Music? Browser history in Safari?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So anything exciting in 10.2 other than you can apparently go back to using the peach emoji for dirty stuff?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Well, here's the list of notes for 10.2 from Apple:

Apple posted:

TV

Use Up Next to see the movies and shows you're currently watching and pick up where you left off
Get recommendations for new movies and TV shows in Watch Now
Discover new apps and the latest iTunes releases in the Store
Access the Library for your iTunes purchases and rentals

Emoji

Beautifully redesigned emoji that reveal even more detail
Over 100 new emoji including new faces, food, animals, sports and professions

Photos

Improves stabilization and delivers faster frame rate for Live Photos
Improves accuracy of groupings of similar photos of the same person in the People album
Fixes an issue where Memories might generate a memory from photos of screenshots, whiteboards or receipts
Fixes an issue where the camera would stay zoomed after switching back from the Camera Roll on an iPhone 7 Plus
Additional support for RAW digital cameras

Adds new love and celebration full screen effects in Messages
Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented the keyboard from displaying in Messages

Music
Swipe up the Now Playing screen to more easily access Shuffle, Repeat, and Up Next
Choose how to sort Playlists, Albums and Songs in Library

News

Stories you've saved for later now appear in the Saved section
The best paid stories from channels you subscribe to will appear in a dedicated section in For You
It's now easier than ever to get to the next story, just swipe left or tap next story while reading

Mail

Fixes an issue that caused the Move sheet to persist after filing a Mail message
Addresses an issue with long press activating copy and paste in Mail
Fixes an issue in which the wrong message would be selected after deleting a Mail conversation

Accessibility

Adds BraillePen14 support to VoiceOver
Fixes an issue where the braille table could switch unexpectedly with VoiceOver
Fixes an issue where sometimes Siri enhanced voices were unavailable to VoiceOver
Fixes an issue where VoiceOver users could not re-order items in lists
Fixes an issue where Switch Control was sometimes unable to delete Voicemails

Other improvements and fixes

Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door/window, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leak sensors
Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories when software updates are available to HomeKit accessories
Improve Bluetooth performance and connectivity with 3rd party accessories
Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime participants to appear out of focus
Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime calls to appear with incorrect aspect ratio and orientation
Fixes an issue that prevented some Visual Voicemail from completing playback
Fixes a Safari Reader issue that could cause articles to open in empty pages
Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to quit unexpectedly after marking an item as read in Reading List

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Improve Bluetooth performance and connectivity with 3rd party accessories

Thank you Steve

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FYI they have also added a Report Sender button to iCloud calendars if you're still getting spam invites.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Software updates for Apps feels snappier.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Swipe up the Now Playing screen to more easily access Shuffle, Repeat, and Up Next

Did this actually change, or is the change just that they are now telling you this is where shuffle and repeat are?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Did this actually change, or is the change just that they are now telling you this is where shuffle and repeat are?

They give you a notice now in the music app to tell you where the buttons are.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The TV app is pretty slick, so far. But it doesn't support Netflix so :lol:

Actually it might support Netflix? I can't figure this out.

EDIT: oh ok so it can search Netflix but it doesn't do the whole "see what you're watching and pick up from it right on the app" thing you can with HBO Now and others.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 12, 2016

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What's the build number on 10.2 ?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

What's the build number on 10.2 ?
14C92

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm really enjoying the constant iTunes errors and sign-in prompts from trying to add stuff to my TV watchlist.

e: oh cool "add to up next" has now completely disappeared

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I guess we don't get the TV app in Canada, but we still don't have the News app so that's nothing new.

They added star ratings back to Music.app. Yayyy! :unsmith: Begrudgingly though, because you have to turn the feature "on" in Settings and its still kludgey to get to. Clearly, Apple wants people to forget this feature.

Now if they'd just add an on-the-go or station option to Podcasts and the ability to turn off the extra stickers and dumb Messages stuff, I'd be totally content.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I see reordering Apple Music playlists is still broken. Maybe in 10.3...

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Also any advantages/disadvantages to encrypted backup I need to know about? If I don't encrypt that means I'll lose my pedometer data, since it's part of the health app, right?

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I'm about to do a backup and restore via PC harddrive (not icloud), will my photos still be sorted by date and location in Photos? Will it preserved my playcount data and most played songs in Music? Browser history in Safari?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Just do an encrypted backup and call it a day. Everything will be there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just don't forget that password because it's 100% local and there is no recovery mechanism.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

xzzy posted:

Just don't forget that password because it's 100% local and there is no recovery mechanism.

And if you do forget it you can never do an encrypted backup on that machine again. At least that's the problem I'm having.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

Look at these huge fuckin buttons for shuffle and repeat. Do any designers work on Apple Music anymore?!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

After the encrypted bug my wife got hit with I would stay far away from them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Look at these huge fuckin buttons for shuffle and repeat. Do any designers work on Apple Music anymore?!

This is what happens when people whine bout not being able to find them.

At least it's not MS where they did a telemetry study of functions most used and made the LESSER-used functions bigger.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

The Dave posted:

After the encrypted bug my wife got hit with I would stay far away from them.

What happened?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LPG Giant posted:

And if you do forget it you can never do an encrypted backup on that machine again. At least that's the problem I'm having.

I think you can just hunt down the location of the old encrypted backup and delete the entire folder. If you're really paranoid you can put it in a zip and move it somewhere else, but either way once iTunes doesn't know where it is you can start from scratch.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

What happened?

https://deciphertools.com/blog/ios10-backup-encryption-bugs/

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Where the gently caress did add to up next go

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

rear end Catchcum posted:

Where the gently caress did add to up next go

"Play Next" and "Play Later"? Long press the thing you want to add and there should be a pop-up menu.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
So I haven't looked at ringtone stuff for a while and Audiko seems to have gone to poo poo. Is there a new hotness for ringtones?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Has anyone spent any money on any third party camera apps recently? Specifically, for the 7 and/or 7 plus. I haven't spent any money on any yet, but I've tried two: VSCO is minimal to the point of being unintuitive, and Adobe Lightroom is totally decent, but comes with limitations I'm not interested in overlooking (relies on CC subscription to export, no straight-to-camera roll support, weird alpha markup glitches when editing.)

The other few apps I've tried over the years, which I can't remember, were very short lived because I found I preferred the speed and post-processing of Apple's stock camera app. I was watching a video of a guy playing with Procamera earlier, and it seems really solid wth some nice QoL features, e.g. realtime histogram, spot metering, and separate designations for exposure and focus. I'd really like to play with its support for slower shutter speeds, but that's an IAP on top of a non-free app... And of course, I'd like the ability to simultaneously shoot in RAW and processed JPEG.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Twelve Elves posted:

So I haven't looked at ringtone stuff for a while and Audiko seems to have gone to poo poo. Is there a new hotness for ringtones?

TIL people use ringtones in TYOOL 2016

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Is there some dumb and/or petty reason why Netflix doesn't link with TV?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Scratch-O posted:

Is there some dumb and/or petty reason why Netflix doesn't link with TV?

You answered your own question.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

LODGE NORTH posted:

TIL people use ringtones in TYOOL 2016

They're great for alarms!

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Never look at the openings on your phone with a microscope :barf: The microphone hole on the back looks like a sandy worm hole, and the red bar was covered with some moist looking dust. My phone is full of keyboard goop :( All the small scratches on the screen was pretty cool though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

Has anyone spent any money on any third party camera apps recently? Specifically, for the 7 and/or 7 plus. I haven't spent any money on any yet, but I've tried two: VSCO is minimal to the point of being unintuitive, and Adobe Lightroom is totally decent, but comes with limitations I'm not interested in overlooking (relies on CC subscription to export, no straight-to-camera roll support, weird alpha markup glitches when editing.)

The other few apps I've tried over the years, which I can't remember, were very short lived because I found I preferred the speed and post-processing of Apple's stock camera app. I was watching a video of a guy playing with Procamera earlier, and it seems really solid wth some nice QoL features, e.g. realtime histogram, spot metering, and separate designations for exposure and focus. I'd really like to play with its support for slower shutter speeds, but that's an IAP on top of a non-free app... And of course, I'd like the ability to simultaneously shoot in RAW and processed JPEG.

I always liked Camera+, but yeah it's tough to beat the native camera app for speed and reliability. It's all I use at this point.

For video I like the Horizon app so I can film in portrait mode. It wasn't great with iPhone 6 and earlier because it decreased video quality too much, but now with 4k recording you can get a pretty good 1080p video cropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Just saw on Apples website the AirPods are finally available for purchase.