Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

boy are my arms tired posted:

is dead rising 4 good? i did not play 3 and i did not finish 2, 1 was so good i had gone guru

It's like dead rising if you took all the interesting bits about dead rising away and just turned it into a generic zombie murder simulator

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

boy are my arms tired posted:

is dead rising 4 good? i did not play 3 and i did not finish 2, 1 was so good i had gone guru

This just secondhand based on coverage, but it seems like the game has lost a lot of what made the first game so unique in favor of creating a more palatable open world adventure that happens to involve zombies. It seems like the game is a decent/good open world game on it's own merits, but as a sequel to Dead Rising it may disappoint if you were a fan of the first game's design quirks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It occurred to me last night, with all the statistics about how few people ever finish games they buy and so forth, why hasn't there been a game that tries to embrace this in an organic way?

What I mean is, why not make a game and let the player start at any point in the story? Why should "chapter select" only be unlocked if you beat a game? Why not let players jump around if they want and enjoy the parts they want without being forced to suffer through every ill-conceived concept the game contains? You can do this with books and films, why not games?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because games are art, unlike books and films.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

It occurred to me last night, with all the statistics about how few people ever finish games they buy and so forth, why hasn't there been a game that tries to embrace this in an organic way?

What I mean is, why not make a game and let the player start at any point in the story? Why should "chapter select" only be unlocked if you beat a game? Why not let players jump around if they want and enjoy the parts they want without being forced to suffer through every ill-conceived concept the game contains? You can do this with books and films, why not games?

If you let people do that, they would do it and then bitch about the game not being worth the time or money.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

precision posted:

they approached this concept with beyond: two souls i think

sadly, because david cage was attached to the project, it turned out poorly !!!!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Eh, you've reached part two and will forever long for the good old days, but unlike life you can always return to them no matter how bad things get. Personally I'm very forgiving with the linearity because I can see how it fits with what I see as the grand theme of the game, but it's certainly not what I expected. And Chapter 13 can really go straight in the bin. I recommend not using Umbra unless you absolutely have to until after the credits, but there's no reason not to aside from it distracting you from finishing the game. Mild spoiler for people still passively reading about FFXV: Again, I think it's a bold decision that wasn't executed perfectly but works for me.

I ain't even really mad about the linearity bit, it makes me sad more than anything because there's this giant continent that I know won't be explorable at all.

What I AM mad at is Blind Ignis' slow rear end making me have to walk around this long rear end dungeon only to get to a boss I have to run away from after killing it well enough since it just revives and now not knowing where to go since the quest message just says "kill the boss."

But don't actually tell me the solution I'm sure I just missed something.

precision posted:

I've wanted this ever since I kept a save before leaving the Shinra building in FFVII. That cutscene and following segment was cool.

I also want games to just put the strategy guide in the game but it's kinda obvious why that happened (at least in the past).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

precision posted:

Call of Duty Black Ops 3 did this for its campaign (which had a 4-player co-op focus). You can jump straight to the last mission as soon as you boot up the game, if you want.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

Eh, you've reached part two and will forever long for the good old days, but unlike life you can always return to them no matter how bad things get. Personally I'm very forgiving with the linearity because I can see how it fits with what I see as the grand theme of the game, but it's certainly not what I expected. And Chapter 13 can really go straight in the bin. I recommend not using Umbra unless you absolutely have to until after the credits, but there's no reason not to aside from it distracting you from finishing the game. Mild spoiler for people still passively reading about FFXV: Once you start Chapter 10 (out of 14), there are no more side quests and the game moves you forward very quickly. No more open world, no more hunts, no more of what made the first chapters really fun. You can return to them at any rest point, but it really feels like a different game once you get on the boat. Again, I think it's a bold decision that wasn't executed perfectly but works for me.

Tonight I'm going to watch the last two episodes of Twin Peaks. My friend and I have been doing a lot of yelling at the screen for the last few weeks, but since James is gone and the GeneralMajor(?) is getting more screen time, I'm almost sad to see it end. There's no way it's going to be a satisfying conclusion though. Any suggestions for what we should watch right after the last episode, either as a pallet cleanser or as a new addiction?

Fire Walk with Me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also who the hell is reading a book and says "this part is boring im gonna skip ahead a few chapters and keep going"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

Because unlike books and films games need to teach you how to play them and part of game design is introducing and teaching new skills and knowledge and then building upon that the further you get into the game. The reason why chapter selects are locked until you finish the game is because at that point they can assume you know how to play the game.

You can go "yeah, well, that's my choice" but the unavoidable fact of game design is that if you give someone a choice they are not going assume it is their fault for taking the choice, they're going to get angry and blame the game for being 1 hour long and making no sense.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

CJacobs posted:

Also who the hell is reading a book and says "this part is boring im gonna skip ahead a few chapters and keep going"

me, reading goosebump choose your own adventure novels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

I'm all for this and some games do do it. I mean in one way that's what the Mega Man design does, you can beat the game or if you've just got 15 minutes to spare you can boot it up and play some favorite levels.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

frank goes to china to teach children english... but they're all zombies !!

now frank must battle shmorky, and mike nelson

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It was Mafia 3 that really put me in mind of that. The first 10 hours or so of Mafia 3 are absolutely amazing. After that it never gets bad but it does become somewhat of a generic open world with repetitive quests. I could see how someone with less patience would want to skip the empire building and go straight to the endgame.

Like I'm aware there are problems with what I'm proposing but, as with all things optional, anyone who complains about it can just not do it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

If you let people do that, they would do it and then bitch about the game not being worth the time or money.

More likely it would be people whining about how it lets bad players who haven't earned it skip to the end, like the whining about an easier mode for Dark Souls being considered or the invincible mode in Star Fox Zero.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The old Mario games do that technically with the warp pipes and warp whistles, now that I think about it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As a sidebar and speaking of completion %, it's funny looking at the Mega Man Collection trophy percentages and seeing how very very few people who bought the collection beat any of the games. The game even has a turbo button and save states that don't discount the trophies!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

I ain't even really mad about the linearity bit, it makes me sad more than anything because there's this giant continent that I know won't be explorable at all.

What I AM mad at is Blind Ignis' slow rear end making me have to walk around this long rear end dungeon only to get to a boss I have to run away from after killing it well enough since it just revives and now not knowing where to go since the quest message just says "kill the boss."

But don't actually tell me the solution I'm sure I just missed something.

I had trouble with that and yes you're missing something blindly obvious.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

The old Mario games do that technically with the warp pipes and warp whistles, now that I think about it.

It's also a clever way to get around the lack of saving

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No pun intended.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Phantasium posted:

The new ones and the new Donkey King games do it too, sorta, with the invincibility modes you unlock for dying too much on a level. Then you have games like Bayonetta with the easiest easy modes imaginable that basically put the game on autopilot for you. I think that's cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

The new ones and the new Donkey King games do it too, sorta, with the invincibility modes you unlock for dying too much on a level. Then you have games like Bayonetta with the easiest easy modes imaginable that basically put the game on autopilot for you. I think that's cool.

More games should have the rondo of blood mechanic where you can spend in game currency to unlock super plays of bosses in case you get stuck on them and just want to progress. I know there are also some PS2 (and later 360) shmup ports that came bundled with DVDs of 1CC clears and loop strats. Since every console is also a multimedia device and every game is like nonfunctional without an Internet connection, I wish companies would get more involved with little bonuses like that. Seems like it would be easy enough to distribute.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

Hell, hardly any games allow chapter select even after you beat the game. There are so many games that have chapters/missions/encounters/etc that I would have loved to replay but unless you create a ton of save files that's not happening without replaying the whole game again. And of course many games don't have enough save slots to do that anyway.

CJacobs posted:

This comes up a lot in sci-fi or fantasy book chat.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Games are always like 20% too long.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CJacobs posted:

I do it sometimes, moreso with film and TV. Especially if you're just enjoying something because it's got like, good jokes in it or good setpieces or something like that, it's not so bad.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

chumbler posted:

More likely it would be people whining about how it lets bad players who haven't earned it skip to the end, like the whining about an easier mode for Dark Souls being considered or the invincible mode in Star Fox Zero.

To be fair to people complaining about an easy mode in Dark Souls that would also undermine the way the story is told in that game, about a world that doesn't give two shits that the player exists and isn't out to kill them, but will happily do so because they're an insignificant speck on the uncaring world. An easy-mode undermines both aspects.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

More games should have the rondo of blood mechanic where you can spend in game currency to unlock super plays of bosses in case you get stuck on them and just want to progress.

I absolutely love when the replay in that or SotN fucks up. I don't know what causes it but I watched one in SotN where Alucard just hopped up and down a few times in between getting hit and murdered, and then the game stayed on the game screen until the amount of time the replay was supposed to take was up.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Shmups are cool, though I wish I was better at them. As soon as there are more than like 10 bullets on screen, my eyes glaze over trying to take it all in and I end up dying

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jay Rust posted:

Games are always like 20% too long.

Or too short.

There rarely is a happy medium with the game's length.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cavelcade posted:

To be fair to people complaining about an easy mode in Dark Souls that would also undermine the way the story is told in that game, about a world that doesn't give two shits that the player exists and isn't out to kill them, but will happily do so because they're an insignificant speck on the uncaring world. An easy-mode undermines both aspects.

I'd worry more about the online stuff, idk how feasible it'd be to just have easy players playing only against easy players or if it'd be best to lock easy mode out of online multiplayer stuff to prevent normal difficulty people from griefing the easy mode people

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Sakurazuka posted:

I had trouble with that and yes you're missing something blindly obvious.

Same. Not really the solution, but spoilered for courtesy: The instructions shouldn't be "run away" because you know how to do that and if you do, you have to start over. You'll figure it out next time you try it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Cavelcade posted:

Dark Souls already has an easy mode that undermines all that and it's called co-op

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Shindragon posted:

Or too short.

There rarely is a happy medium with the game's length.

What games do you think are too short?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
FFXV successfully captures the feeling of enjoying the summer break right after high school and then getting a full-time job in July.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

LawfulWaffle posted:

Tonight I'm going to watch the last two episodes of Twin Peaks. My friend and I have been doing a lot of yelling at the screen for the last few weeks, but since James is gone and the GeneralMajor(?) is getting more screen time, I'm almost sad to see it end. There's no way it's going to be a satisfying conclusion though. Any suggestions for what we should watch right after the last episode, either as a pallet cleanser or as a new addiction?

Contrary to your belief, the ending is very good.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Rexroom posted:

Contrary to your belief, the ending is very good.

Thank you, I am now cautiously optimistic.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Which game is it that unlocks easy mode if you die too much? Devil May Cry?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

More games should have the rondo of blood mechanic where you can spend in game currency to unlock super plays of bosses in case you get stuck on them and just want to progress.

Didn't Nintendo patent this a few years ago? If my memory is right, that would be why no one ever does it.

Mak0rz posted:

This is pretty common, the God of War games do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Mak0rz posted:

smtIV does this, doesn't it?

• Locked thread