Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I hear this game has arrived On The Bone.

If I get it On The Bone, will I have all my poo poo from XB360 still unlocked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Probably, as long you use the cloud.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't have my main game but I had the multiplayer stuff available still where I was best of the best :cool:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh and I think they fixed that lightweight mod bug, I couldn't couple certain things together on a gun

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

I just hope they didn't fix the bug with weight increasing mods on non-DLC weapons.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Uhhh my Geth Scanner is missing... Anyone else getting this?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

Uhhh my Geth Scanner is missing... Anyone else getting this?

Stop using your xray specs on the girls locker room.

Also, make sure you have all the DLC downloaded. That's probably it.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
I had completely forgotten about this game but saw some news about Andromeda and wanted to look at picking it back up, as I may well end up buying that just for the multi if it ends up as good as this did.

Is there anybody still playing on PC? I'm in an EU timezone (And was terrible at the game even before having a long break) and my Origin ID is the same as my username here.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
You can probably get some goon games going or at least one non-pubbie to watch your back. I'm SAelmido on origin.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Guess what's back in ME: Andromeda. :lol:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

VJeff posted:

Guess what's back in ME: Andromeda. :lol:

Biotic gods?

Haha no vanguard rapture. Has to be

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I dunno what VJeff is referring to, but I did watch the new gameplay trailer and the combat looked :krad: so I'm pretty stoked for new MEMP shenanigans.

I mean, loving jetpack jumping for an air-to-ground biotic charge? Yes please! :getin:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 2, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

He's referring to the sync kills, probably.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The new MP is like DA:I and not like ME3

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

For someone who skipped the whole Dragon Age thing, is that good or bad?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

tooterfish posted:

For someone who skipped the whole Dragon Age thing, is that good or bad?
It would be really bad because DA:I's MP was a clunky, unfun mess, but as far as I know they haven't revealed any details about Andromeda's MP yet so I think moist turtleneck is just trying to be funny.

Also I seem to remember reading that the team who made ME3MP are on board for Andromeda, so I'm pretty optimistic overall.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Nordick posted:

It would be really bad because DA:I's MP was a clunky, unfun mess, but as far as I know they haven't revealed any details about Andromeda's MP yet so I think moist turtleneck is just trying to be funny.

Also I seem to remember reading that the team who made ME3MP are on board for Andromeda, so I'm pretty optimistic overall.

"Let's explore expanding our favorite design element from ME:3, the sync kills. They rule. Let's ensure every enemy has them."

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Don't worry they'll write it into the lore that the new aliens can give off hypnotizing pheromones that make you walk up to them and get grabbed

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Can't wait for all the videos of people using their jetpacks to fly into the air, then suddenly getting sucked back down to the ground and into a creature's mouth.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

moist turtleneck posted:

The new MP is like DA:I and not like ME3

That would be awful don't even joke about it

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

CharlestonJew posted:

Can't wait for all the videos of people using their jetpacks to fly into the air, then suddenly getting sucked back down to the ground and into a creature's mouth.

I mean sure I've complained about the odd bullshit laggy sync kill in my time, but let's be honest it just wouldn't be the same without.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Reinstalled this tonight and it's still really active on PC. What the hell?

Still the same old blend of jank and awesome. Really makes me hopeful that they'll address the worst parts of 3's multiplayer (lovely controls, sync kills, incredibly bullet spongey miniboss enemies everywhere, etc) and keep the huge weapon and power variety that makes 3 so fun in spite of all that.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

CharlestonJew posted:

I want videos of people using the jetpack and launching themselves into orbit, never to return.

Digirat posted:

Still the same old blend of jank and awesome. Really makes me hopeful that they'll address the worst parts of 3's multiplayer (lovely controls, sync kills, incredibly bullet spongey miniboss enemies everywhere, etc) and keep the huge weapon and power variety that makes 3 so fun in spite of all that.
The gameplay trailer has them fighting mechs and what looks like a bulkier Brute, so I'm expecting it to feel very familiar.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Digirat posted:

Reinstalled this tonight and it's still really active on PC. What the hell?

Sync kills are needed to help reduce bunkering up and force you to scramble. They're also one of the few ways to actually kill a player for good and remove them from the wave, instead of forcing a medi-gel or a ally rescue, which I feel is an important thing to have.

I also feel like most of the enemies aren't particularly bullet spongy if your aim is good and your weapon/power selection is appropriate. Once I stopped the spray+pray with the full auto weapons and learned to actually make my shots count the minibosses got MUCH easier to handle.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Khizan posted:

Sync kills are needed to help reduce bunkering up and force you to scramble. They're also one of the few ways to actually kill a player for good and remove them from the wave, instead of forcing a medi-gel or a ally rescue, which I feel is an important thing to have.

I also feel like most of the enemies aren't particularly bullet spongy if your aim is good and your weapon/power selection is appropriate. Once I stopped the spray+pray with the full auto weapons and learned to actually make my shots count the minibosses got MUCH easier to handle.

even the best people at this game frequently use the word 'bullet spongy' to describe almost all enemies that aren't rank and file troopers, this is not a point of debate.

sync kills i guess can be a point of debate but considering that medi gel is limited and ally rescue is risky i think it's a pretty hard sell that it is 'needed'. bunkering up is effectively fought by a handful of other enemies that just barrel in. the brute is the easiest one to note here, he even has a sync kill and rarely uses it because he's designed well enough that it isn't really needed.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Sync kills are fine as long as there are some ways to avoid them. The elevation bug of ME3 is probably not the correct solution, but something similar could work. Also, I'd increase gun damage across the board to what you can achieve with the incendiary ammo bug.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Coolguye posted:

even the best people at this game frequently use the word 'bullet spongy' to describe almost all enemies that aren't rank and file troopers, this is not a point of debate.

sync kills i guess can be a point of debate but considering that medi gel is limited and ally rescue is risky i think it's a pretty hard sell that it is 'needed'. bunkering up is effectively fought by a handful of other enemies that just barrel in. the brute is the easiest one to note here, he even has a sync kill and rarely uses it because he's designed well enough that it isn't really needed.

If there were no sync kills there'd be nothing that could actually kill a vanguard doing their thing. Somehow I get the feeling that's the biggest reason they exist.

A bit of bullet sponginess on things like the brute is fine, since they should be something that makes you scatter and doesn't die while trying to run up to the group, or when a banshee is doing her blinks in if she's not more durable the answer to her is for everyone to just blast her point blank before she can grab someone. The problem is when even the rank and file troops take forever to kill, and that was never really an issue.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've always wondered if the feeling of sponginess isn't helped by the decision to switch from absolute health(/armor/barrier/whatever) bars to the segmented ones that only move once a certain threshold of damage is dealt.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If there were no sync kills there'd be nothing that could actually kill a vanguard doing their thing. Somehow I get the feeling that's the biggest reason they exist.

A bit of bullet sponginess on things like the brute is fine, since they should be something that makes you scatter and doesn't die while trying to run up to the group, or when a banshee is doing her blinks in if she's not more durable the answer to her is for everyone to just blast her point blank before she can grab someone. The problem is when even the rank and file troops take forever to kill, and that was never really an issue.

then that's a problem with the vanguard and should be fixed from the vanguard's end (and, ideally, not in a way that just automatically kills people with almost no warning).

also, i think bullet sponginess is an issue still when you get away from the top-tier weapons that the rest of us have basically found and refined through dozens of hours of play. even the n7 weapons have a couple of real traps where it's practically impossible to do significant damage to even the little squad leader units. i feel like that's the big reason why you always see such huge disparities of points in pub matches, one or two people have the 'right gear' and the other two do not, so the bottom feeders mostly plink with powers and try not to die. sure there are certain classes that benefit more from powers than weapons, but even adepts benefit quite a bit from the correct weapon mods on the high end.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

I've always wondered if the feeling of sponginess isn't helped by the decision to switch from absolute health(/armor/barrier/whatever) bars to the segmented ones that only move once a certain threshold of damage is dealt.

"Health" segments don't matter to the shield gate, only the ultimate one. It's just a visual graphic.

Smol posted:

Sync kills are fine as long as there are some ways to avoid them. The elevation bug of ME3 is probably not the correct solution, but something similar could work. Also, I'd increase gun damage across the board to what you can achieve with the incendiary ammo bug.

I heard this second hand but I believe sync kills in ME:A will be retuned so they can only trigger once you've dropped below a certain amount of health. Not sure if this is visual or numerical but that would alleviate some of the cheap feel of getting hoovered up by a banshee as a fully specced and modded N7 Destroyer. It makes it a CPU execution and not an insta-kill.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rick_Hunter posted:

"Health" segments don't matter to the shield gate, only the ultimate one. It's just a visual graphic.

I'm specifically talking about the visual graphic rather than any mechanical perspective.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Honestly sync kills would have been fine if there was some sort of wind up animation that could be dodged. It's fine for the Phantom and Brute because they usually do a melee attack before the sync kill but the Banshee has none of that

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Honestly sync kills would have been fine if there was some sort of wind up animation that could be dodged. It's fine for the Phantom and Brute because they usually do a melee attack before the sync kill but the Banshee has none of that

But it has easily recognizable mode when it can and cannot sync kill.

I also disagree with the dude saying better gear = higher score. At best it is supplimental, especially for caster classes. The difference between top scorers and low scoring players is usually build and tactics, not the gear.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the gear goes directly into the build and tactics one uses. we've spent literally dozens of pages talking about nothing but that in this topic, i don't see how this is even remotely arguable.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Coolguye posted:

then that's a problem with the vanguard and should be fixed from the vanguard's end (and, ideally, not in a way that just automatically kills people with almost no warning).

also, i think bullet sponginess is an issue still when you get away from the top-tier weapons that the rest of us have basically found and refined through dozens of hours of play. even the n7 weapons have a couple of real traps where it's practically impossible to do significant damage to even the little squad leader units. i feel like that's the big reason why you always see such huge disparities of points in pub matches, one or two people have the 'right gear' and the other two do not, so the bottom feeders mostly plink with powers and try not to die. sure there are certain classes that benefit more from powers than weapons, but even adepts benefit quite a bit from the correct weapon mods on the high end.

This is like when people play dota 2 and say "but axe just came out of nowhere" instead of "that axe came out of the jungle, I should be warding and not standing where he can easily poo poo on me."

The way for classes that aren't vanguards to not get sync killed is to not stand next to banshees and brutes. Even if a brute can't sync kill, you he can still beat you to death, and it's not a good place to be. Sync kills are fine as designed, the problem is if there is a latency/host issue.

Coolguye posted:

the gear goes directly into the build and tactics one uses. we've spent literally dozens of pages talking about nothing but that in this topic, i don't see how this is even remotely arguable.

You really like to say poo poo you disagree with isn't arguable, don't you?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

well yeah when it's been something nobody's argued about for well over a year and nothing has changed in that year then yeah i generally consider the situation resolved and i will say so, especially if someone tries to justify their point with a comparison to dota 2 of all things. i mean that game isn't remotely comparable to ME3 and the way banshees can hoover up someone isn't comparable to anything i've ever seen in that stupid game, though admittedly i don't see a whole lot because i consider it a stupid game.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Coolguye posted:

Because I have seen tons of players with the best weapons and gear completely suck rear end because they built their character in the worst way or are overly aggressive and constantly get killed. I can top score a game with a hand cannon vanguard every time but if I take biotic slash instead I'll struggle to get anything done. Gear does not determine build at all except in the most gimmicky ways. Great weapons and mods can enhance it but is stupid to say that is a major factor in scores.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sync kills are irredeemable poo poo both in design and implementation. At best they are a sledgehammer that solves one problem (certain player behavior is perceived as too powerful) by causing massive collateral damage in a lot of other areas. They are an invisible trigger that is not clearly communicated to players at all and which knocks them out for the rest of the round effectively instantly (except in rare cases when the enemy gets staggered out of it), which is a massive dick move in a game where downs and revives happen very frequently and quickly. Compared to any other attack enemies can do (comes from a clear source, does damage by traveling into you, does damage that is measurable in health and shields, allows you to be revived if it downs you) they are entirely out of line.

Furthermore they combine with the game's other jank very poorly, such as vanguard charge staggering an enemy 9 times in a row but randomly failing to do so on the 10th time. If this happens to a phantom who just meleed, you instantly die because apparently vanguard charging an enemy is behavior that should be punished (???). If one of these enemies gets close to you then you have to fight the bad controls and FOV to get out of sync kill range, but you have no idea what that range actually is because it's not communicated. Even after getting to the point where sync kills rarely happen to me anymore, they are still infuriating because when they happen to someone else, you are down a person for the wave, which can absolutely decide whether you win or not.

Even if you did somehow make a compelling argument that they are a design necessity, there is absolutely no arguing that their implementation isn't poo poo, because they directly and visibly make a lot of players' experiences with the game worse.

Coolguye is completely on point about gear as well. If you want to use only 20% of the content in the game then yes, the sponginess of the giant enemies goes down, but if anything that highlights a separate issue (balance) rather than solves the problem.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Because I have seen tons of players with the best weapons and gear completely suck rear end because they built their character in the worst way or are overly aggressive and constantly get killed. I can top score a game with a hand cannon vanguard every time but if I take biotic slash instead I'll struggle to get anything done. Gear does not determine build at all except in the most gimmicky ways. Great weapons and mods can enhance it but is stupid to say that is a major factor in scores.

gear absolutely determines build, weight alone is a huge consideration and adepts will want to keep the minimum weight as much as possible, and mods like ultralight materials change what you can and can't do quite a bit, between taking only one weapon or two, or taking a specific weapon that has a quirk that makes it much more effective in specific situations or not (like the reegar). the difference between any weapon's I and X version is very large, in some times specifically in weight but other times in sheer damage; the heavy pistols and sniper rifles very frequently cross damage break points that allow you to one-shot specific units on higher difficulties and it fundamentally changes both the weapon's usefulness and the viability of a build that relies upon these things.

i'm certain you're not wrong that you can outperform boneheads with good gear but at least in my mind boneheads weren't part of the discussion. if they were in yours then we're not even talking about the same thing and should probably refocus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I never have a problem with bullet sponges below platinum, so I don't play platinum. Also, it is stupidly easy to get all manner of great weapons and mods so that is another weird complaint. Like, if you're hunting for that last upgrade to your Saber it can be really annoying but it doesn't take long to get a decent arsenal.

• Locked thread