Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Spiritus Nox posted:

loving wow. That's the closest I've ever loving seen.

You and the Colonel are apparently on the same wavelength. Have fun in Pure Illusion together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sorry, i'm gay

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

And pretty dresses aren't really my style.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

In six words or less, why should I watch this?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ranzear posted:

gay magical girls in wonderland

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ranzear posted:

this anime owns watch it now

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Ranzear posted:

Flip flap flip flap

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ranzear posted:

Surreal, smart, empathetic, gay, superbly directed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cephas posted:

Flip flap flip flap

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Alright sold. Time to binge.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ranzear posted:

Alright sold. Time to binge.

Post your thoughts when you do!

Cephas posted:

Flip flap flip flap

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ranzear posted:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Episode 3: Mad Max Yuri Road

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Episode 3: Mad Max Yuri Road

Thanks for the excuse to repost this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zBaKgJr7Ss

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

^ Okay now I'm double sold.

LB Edits, first episode: A triple ahoge?

loving ENFPs...

"Oh hey, something strange happened and I woke up with a glowing object in my hand. It better not be a soul gemphylactery :\"

"Uh, no."

I'm in. Also, are post-credits scenes normal, or just the first episode?

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 13, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Ranzear posted:

I'm in. Also, are post-credits scenes normal, or just the first episode?

They're not universal, but when they have them they're important (usually. Ep1's didn't seem to go anywhere) so keep an eye out.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Episode 2. Definitely a good show to take your mind off a broken toe.

Last episode I thought I recognized the nurse's voice, this episode Papika is sounding like Mako.

Brobot brought her a a unif-!... oh, maybe not.

I want that painting.

I am not nearly high enough for this art transition.

"Don't worry, we're not paying you."

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Episode 3.

I'm starting to get a Star Driver vibe that these things aren't supposed to be taken out of their little pocket dimension. Time passed during the first round though.

Oh geez. Someone definitely watched Fury Road right before laying out episode 3.

Papika's red.
Cocona's blue.
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru.

Well. I guess Papika really can use her head in battle after all.

No comment on the petite femdom cliche besides: Do please destroy it from orbit.

Aha! The cultish artificial entrants arrive to contend with the natural(s). My Star Driver vibe was correct.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

They're not universal, but when they have them they're important (usually. Ep1's didn't seem to go anywhere) so keep an eye out.

Episode 1's just took a while to pay off. Its the first major hint that granny's with the Klan.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ranzear posted:

No comment on the petite femdom cliche besides: Do please destroy it from orbit.

Remember that much of what happens in Pure Illusion is shaped by the psyches of the first people to enter an area - this isn't a spoiler, per se, it's just something that you start to pick up as the show progresses. Now think about what's going on in Cocona's head that might lead her to cook up that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I don't think everything Flip Flappers does WRT to sexually-charged imagery works, but emerging sexuality is very much an important theme of the show, and a lot of the thirstier imagery is in service to that theme.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I do think that the justification given to it in the narrative doesn't negate that the portrayal is annoying to some people, and it kinda makes me have to qualify my recommendation of the series to other people when I wish I didn't have to.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

I do think that the justification given to it in the narrative doesn't negate that the portrayal is annoying to some people, and it kinda makes me have to qualify my recommendation of the series to other people when I wish I didn't have to.

I go back and forth on it. There's aspects of it that definitely skeeze me out more than I wish this show would, because I otherwise think it's a super empathetic show that has a ton of respect for its main characters. But on the other hand there's scenes that just don't really work as well without the sexual context, and that's part of what makes the show so effective. Like I said, on the whole I'm happy with it since I know most of it serves an intelligent narrative, but other people can set their personal lines elsewhere.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Took me a second to get the pun. It's a good.

It's because she is gay, and originally said she was going to be straight with Cocona, when in fact being straight with Cocona means telling her that she is not in fact straight. :thejoke:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
yeah but her mentality is totally different so there's no way she'll ever do gay things like cocona and papika.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xinder posted:

yeah but her mentality is totally different so there's no way she'll ever do gay things like cocona and papika.

I agree.

She will find her own special, unique ways to be gay.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Episode 1's just took a while to pay off. Its the first major hint that granny's with the Klan.

I accidentally hovered this, but already figured out she had something going on at the end of ep3.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 13, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ranzear posted:

I accidentally hovered this, but already figured out she had something going on at the end of ep2

Gah, sorry. How deep have you gotten? Still on 3?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Still on 3, and realized it was at the end of 3.

There is one thing that bugs me so far, in episode 2: Papika's stockings and twintails disappeared somewhere in the interim :stwoon:

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 13, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Can't wait for you to get further in! Episodes 4 and especially 5 are when the show really hits its stride IMO.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Pre-stint pontification: Let's dispel the notion that Japan lacks a drug culture. This show alone is proof that somebody has been getting LSD and MDMA over there.

Tangentally, whoever is writing this show definitely understands a rare sort of introvert-extrovert relationship. Myers-Briggs is garbage for 75% of people (it says you're relatively normal, get over it), but the ENFPs and INTJs are the weirdos it picks out well. Short version is ENFPs don't get 'emotional blowback' from INTJs (their words, not mine), and INTJs find ENFPs to be obnoxiously attractive (emotionally, not [just] physically). Maybe I'm projecting a little, but I did see a bit of this setting up between Cocona and Papika even in the very first episode.

Also I noticed that they obtained each other's fragments. I'm sure this is important. I'm still not convinced this isn't just two girls candyflipping in the woods besides that it's been less than a day between.

Episode 4. Requisite sleepover episode.

I'm liking Dr. Salt just for the 'sunglasses in the dark' shtick.

I think Grandma is just happy to get rid of her for a few days.

When did Cocona start having cheek blush all the time? I guess it was always there, nevermind.

See? That. How everybody already likes and responds to Papika? loving ENFP black magic...

No blondie? I guess we're going into painter chick. Aside: I always wanted a full-size "Pollice Verso" for my wall. That's what that size and colorscheme of painting reminds me of.

Oh great, she's gone and built a full-blown trip cave.

Not worried about foraging. Everything that grows in Japan is edible. I learned this from Non Non Biyori.

The OP lied. Papika doesn't even know what personal space is nor how to spell it.

Getting into personal nightmare territory with this deserted island poo poo.

Oh geez, here's the comeup...

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 14, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Episode 5. Requisite Nope episode.

Nope nope nope.

Definitely reminiscent of that bigass painting, and Ms. Green mentioned not being able to work when the sun is out or when it's raining (she'd never get anything done around here...)

That doll is another bag of nope. Of course it will be turned back around in the morning.

Papika is a natural lotus eater.

Hahaha, that perfect Shining reference.

Sure got gropey in here.

Enacting 'hammerspace weaponry' to the obvious.

I'm actually a bit concerned that these gems aren't stealing something away from somebody. Papika and Cocona ended up with each-other's, but whose is this then? Yayaka hates attending school, so is almost the obvious candidate, but I'd expect her to be aware of it.

Pure Illusion also seems to have some time and space bending capability, at very least a teleporting use. Like a mostly-harmless version of The Warp :commissar:

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 14, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Ranzear posted:

I'm liking Dr. Salt just for the 'sunglasses in the dark' shtick.

His vision is augmented.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

His vision is augmented.

Oh my God, Salt, an amorphous!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Episode 56.

This is bordering on normal for them by now at least. At least the shortened transformation sequences speak to that.

Oh look, a Vaal area.

Aahhhh Iroha was the signature on the painting. Cocona is standing in or even blending some of herself into it.

Yep. Alzheimer's suuuuuucks, and not just for the one who has it.

Okay, definitely some mind-diving shenanigans going on.

Episode 67.

Remember when I was worried about jacking souls this way?

So yeah, the portal is between dreamspace and memoryspace. 'Fixing' her memory of telling the old woman her name has changed Iroha fundamentally. Inception!

Ah the implications of collective consciousness.

Oh poo poo, is Cocona being incepted now!?

What do we call rule 63 Papika? ... I mean either of them.... Any of them.

Anyway yeah, I'm catching on. Papika wouldn't be the Papika Cocona wants if she was any different. loving ENFPs...

And that's what they did to Iroha by accident.

Oh hey. It's the Evangelion train shot.

And Papika wouldn't have any other Cocona.

Mimi? Uh oh...

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 14, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Glad you're still watching. If you want some things to chew on, I would point out that the impression I got is that if anyone is doing Incepton poo poo on Cocona in episode 7 (the one with all the Papikas), it's Cocona herself - the impression I got was very much that the many Papikas were projections of Cocona's confused feelings towards the real deal that she herself dreamed up as she tried to put her feelings for Papika into some sort of easy to understand box. To that extent, I don't think you can really call any of them 'fake' in the sense that they don't reflect Cocona's understanding of the real Papika, but they are all incomplete. Cocona does have sisterly, nurturing feelings towards Papika, as well as a tendency to see her as a troublemaker and a playmate and a boyfriend and an object of physical desire - but she can't reduce her feelings to any single one of those cliches. Papika, as Cocona understands her, is the unique synthesis of all those elements, so to take away or even change any one of them would produce a different person than the one Cocona's starting to realize she's falling head over heels for. Not an entirely easy revelation for Cocona, given her fear of the unknown and desire for the safety of anonymous conformity to social norms. But also a joyful one - you can see as early as the end of episode 4 just how deeply gratifying it is for Cocona to meet someone who values her as dearly and seemingly unconditionally as Papika does.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It's certainly a different flavor from Madoka.

Episode 78? I might have numbered the last ones wrong.

Now entering Kevin Flynn. Enjoy your stay!

I'm trying to come up with a pun for a burly pigeon but I'm coming up short.

Goddamit. I know that voice. I think it's Teru from Mob Psycho but I can't find the character anywhere.

ᴀ ᴇ s ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ᴛ ɪ ᴄ

It should be obvious!

GATTAI

This entire series was worth that moment.

Boop.

Oooooh, that's who we incepted this time. Duh.

And yeah, I saw there's a post-credits on this one. Yikes.

Episode 9 is recent enough that I'm gonna just watch and then go back through the thread now. The Brobot and Brobun PV at the end was super informative though.

Episode 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed5Bh_DbHPU

quote:

Hah! Someone did name them!

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 14, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO4lpKcmJ3U

New ep preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Hell yeah Yayaka lookin badass as usual.

• Locked thread