Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Party In My Diapee posted:

Are they using Rome 1 again?

There's a clip on that page - it's Rome 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Plavski posted:

There's a clip on that page - it's Rome 2.

Maybe I am mismembering, but that sure looks uglier than what Rome 2 looked like for me, and I didn't even have the thing on ultra.

Still excited for the return of the series.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Party In My Diapee posted:

Are they using Rome 1 again?

From the episode descriptions and trailers it looks like they are using Rome 2, Attila and Napoleon.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

MadJackMcJack posted:

From the episode descriptions and trailers it looks like they are using Rome 2, Attila and Napoleon.

I can't be the only one who wants to see Grimgor suddenly walk in and start caving in heads am I?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

ZearothK posted:

Maybe I am mismembering, but that sure looks uglier than what Rome 2 looked like for me, and I didn't even have the thing on ultra.

Still excited for the return of the series.

They're probably using "realistic numbers" for the units, so the processing power required to maintain a proper framerate will be immense. TC in the earlier series' had tens of thousands of units doing Gaugamela etc. It looked smooth in the replayed footage, but you could see the framerate was chugging like crazy in the actual game room.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The original "Let's Plays"

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

I can't be the only one who wants to see Grimgor suddenly walk in and start caving in heads am I?

To be fair, one of Hannibals lesser known pieces of tactical brilliance at Cannae was snipping the opposing generals with soul leach.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Carthaginians were semitic, not vampires.

They used golems.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hannibal is probably comparable to Azhag or maybe Skarsnik, I think.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Total Warhammer won't launch. I hit play game through Steam, Steam says it's running, the launcher never comes up, then Steam stops saying that it's running. I've restarted my computer and verified game cache, do I have to redownload this whole thing?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Gay Horney posted:

Total Warhammer won't launch. I hit play game through Steam, Steam says it's running, the launcher never comes up, then Steam stops saying that it's running. I've restarted my computer and verified game cache, do I have to redownload this whole thing?

Try deleting (not just disabling) any mods you may be using.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hype for eventual dark elves since they completely dropped the ball with Chaos.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

You can quite happily wait in the forest for 50 turns researching stuff and getting a few garrison levels on your lords before venturing out into a messier world map.

At what difficulty? I'm on my 2nd play through, so I haven't seen it a ton, but that seems like a quick way to failure. Get that 2nd stack rolling asap and kill something, the AI passive income bonuses are pretty rough to overcome on 1 city...

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Cheers for the tips a page or two back. Seems I've been going to hard too fast. Got to get my turtle on.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zalakwe posted:

Cheers for the tips a page or two back. Seems I've been going to hard too fast. Got to get my turtle on.

Doing a little buildup is fine, but you should always be expanding a little bit. It's best to pick one target to bully, given the wood elves' start location that would probably by Estalia/Tilea since they're away from everything and don't have any allies.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Fangz posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Games > Total War: Warhammer: Hannibal is probably comparable to Azhag or maybe Skarsnik, I think.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Estalia keeps on bulldozing the various bretonians in my games. Also, a lot of beastmen spawn in their territory which makes it bad for amber outposts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Plavski posted:

Holky gently caress Time Commanders is back tonight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b084xym1

And they have TW superstar Lionheartx as one of the contestants.

And they have Mike Loades and Lynette Nusbacher back again!!!

Ahhhh so excite!

They have crazy Lloyd "Lindybeige" and Matt Easton as well.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

PerilPastry posted:

Try deleting (not just disabling) any mods you may be using.

I deleted all local content and reinstalled and the launcher still isn't coming up. WTF

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Arcsquad12 posted:

They have crazy Lloyd "Lindybeige" and Matt Easton as well.

Please, pleeeease put Lindybeige up against an actual historian. :allears:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Gay Horney posted:

I deleted all local content and reinstalled and the launcher still isn't coming up. WTF

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

By 'it', I mean Steam.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

lmao I allied both with Bretonnia and my WE neighbors, and I totally sold out the neighbors to Bretonnia so I could take their land.

lmao. I'm history's greatest monster. haha. I feel empty inside

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Carcer posted:

Estalia keeps on bulldozing the various bretonians in my games. Also, a lot of beastmen spawn in their territory which makes it bad for amber outposts.

each one of their cities is worth 500+ income a turn in addition to the amber though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

my dad posted:

Lindybeige is like your uncle who is obsessed with history books and will pull random quotes out of the air to prove a point. He's entertaining as hell, even if a lot of his ideas are rather nutty.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

At what difficulty? I'm on my 2nd play through, so I haven't seen it a ton, but that seems like a quick way to failure. Get that 2nd stack rolling asap and kill something, the AI passive income bonuses are pretty rough to overcome on 1 city...

The only way to get a second stack going fast is to turn on the other Elves. Outposts pay jack. Adding a lot of territory to defend with little additional resources to do it is rough when you're not teched up.

I'm only playing on Hard but I've never felt at all threatened at home. Tilea just sent two full stacks into the valley to the south east of King's Glade and I'm already looking forward to burning down/seeding their homes.

They were dumb enough to raid right next to an outpost, though, so the first stack is facing Orion and his 2/3 stack, half a stack of veteran cavalry, 3 heroes and the garrison.

New alliance with Bordeaux gave me enough amber to be able to start confederating and I have 30k in spare change lying about. Chaos just rose and my power level is about to explode.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

my dad posted:

But he larps so he must know what he's talking about?!?

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Skaven doomwheel when?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

So, I haven't actually finished a campaign until now because end game slog and a short attention span. Anyways, I finally just won a Beastmen grand campaign under the Minor Victory conditions.

Problem is I didn't unlock Sarthorael, am I doing something wrong?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
12 points for lightning strike on Wood Elves makes me pretty angry, you guys.

Beat the GC with Orion, Minimap with Durthu. I'll come back to them but I'm having way more fun with Morghur, mr. no frills all thrills.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

each one of their cities is worth 500+ income a turn in addition to the amber though.

Doesn't mean much when you either have to be willing to lose all of it or station a army down there to protect it.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fnordcircle posted:

12 points for lightning strike on Wood Elves makes me pretty angry, you guys.

Beat the GC with Orion, Minimap with Durthu. I'll come back to them but I'm having way more fun with Morghur, mr. no frills all thrills.

Someone make a mod that makes everyone require 12 points for lightning strike. Except Wood Elves. Beastmen, and Night Goblins commanders who get the current default position of 6.

Also make the blue skills largely not garbage

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

So, I haven't actually finished a campaign until now because end game slog and a short attention span. Anyways, I finally just won a Beastmen grand campaign under the Minor Victory conditions.

Problem is I didn't unlock Sarthorael, am I doing something wrong?

Don't you need to beat the game as the chaos warriors? Also, he is only unlocked for battles (no GC) as far as I can remember.

SickZip posted:

Someone make a mod that makes everyone require 12 points for lightning strike. Except Wood Elves. Beastmen, and Night Goblins commanders who get the current default position of 6.

I feel like most of the blue skills could be made like 2x more effective than they are and still not be overpowered. Also, some really specific skills like ones that only work when you are under siege are really bad and should have some other effect to make them worthwhile.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 12, 2016

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Yeah, maybe it's WoC only. God, I really don't want to slog through that campaign.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Rome 2 looking good for time commanders. They haven't messed with the formula much, but there's more skirmishes and better historical reenactment stuff.

Hope this uber nerd gets crushed.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

SickZip posted:

One problem blue skills have is that they tend to either be really good or utterly worthless.

Lightning Strike is good. +Movement is good. Enemy holdout time is good. +Growth is good for hordes. +Ambush% is good. Corruption reduction tends to be pretty good, but varies by race. +Replenishment is good. +EXP is good.

+Holdout time is worthless. Minor bonuses to raiding are worthless. Bonuses to Sacking are worthless unless you're Warriors of Chaos. -Ambush% is worthless. +Evasion% is actively detrimental most of the time. -Attrition is worthless. -Wound Time is worthless.

The end result is that some races have really good blue trees that I always take, and some have worthless blue trees I force myself to take in order to reach Lightning Strike. Wood elves actually have a pretty good blue tree, their two +Replenishment skills are fantastic.

I think Vampires have the best blue tree, but I'd have to double check everyone.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Wood Elves don't really need lightning strike. They have multiple heroes capable of using the block army action, they have a movement advantage and you can recruit like 11 guys out of air in 1 turn. Also, I think their blue tree is good after you've finished everything you want out of one of their red.

I think they required 12 points for LS in order to differentiate how you play them. All of their other advantages allow them to set up opportunistic attacks to the extent that them being "just get LS" like the other factions would've been same-y and boring. I'd say it's some of the other faction's blue trees that need work, rather than the elves.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Carcer posted:

Doesn't mean much when you either have to be willing to lose all of it or station a army down there to protect it.

Neither happened to me, ever, on VH/VH. Beastmen factions still spawn as neutral since it's considered a brand new faction, which means you can usually get an army there and kill them before they do anything if you're just starting off and only have 1-2 partial stacks. Mid game your home defense army, assuming you have one, can get there easily. End game you shouldn't have to worry about it at all since you can recruit armies from any outpost and global recruit like 15 units in a single turn with stacking glade lord bonuses+technology.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 12, 2016

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I quite like the idea of two teams against each other in time commanders. Before, you felt they were just facing offscreen nerds. Here they're on the stage and you can pick sides. Episodes always have a winner and loser now; you still get the schadenfreude, but it feels more earned.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

SickZip posted:

The system they use for Lords blows in general. I don't want to manage equipment slots, a huge retinue and skills for each guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I think Beastmen is the only time I've ever bothered getting Lightning Strike. It seems a bit overrated.

• Locked thread