Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The one anti tank recon dude diary book I keep not reading will wear down the psyche just by the horrors of regular battle at the opening stages of Barbarossa when Russians are being steamrolled

I can't imagine it will get more upbeat when things turn south/West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Jews practicing taqiyya pretending to be Christian so they wouldn't get pogromed by [local citizenry].

Ninjews :ninja:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thanks. Sorry for being vague about a pretty broad topic. Like I said, I listened to the Roberts book on Napoleon and found it a pretty good introduction but I had absolutely no idea what was really going on during the battle parts. Its pretty easy to zone out when a narrator starts describing a bunch of geographic markers and military units that I have no understanding of where they are in relation to each other or so on. I think I'll add those books to the list to read after I finish like my already pretty long list of things I'm currently reading. Thanks.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

JcDent posted:

Have you ever tried being a tank commander in ArmA?

Does the book have a name/English release?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Time Commanders Series 3 preview!

It's heart warming to see the old professor is even back.

Dear god Time Commanders is the strangest thing. I did appreciate that one random dude pronouncing principes correctly though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

PittTheElder posted:

Dear god Time Commanders is the strangest thing. I did appreciate that one random dude pronouncing principes correctly though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJPce-e_zU

Just going to leave this here. That and the squeaky voiced teen going "The day is ars!"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This might not be exactly what this thread is for but I figured there was no harm in asking, since you nerds seem to know absolutely everything about anything history related.

I've been arguing with a friend about the War on Christmas. I tried pointing out how the Puritans hated Christmas, but he doesn't believe me. I'm trying to find some sources on how the one of the Puritan goals in the English Civil War was the abolition of the celebration of Christmas.(that's military history, right?) I've found some stuff by Thomas Mockett and Incrase Mather but not a ton of contemporary sources wanting to outlaw Christmas in England and later the Colonies. Any help would be appreciated.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

"Wa wa, I'm a Nazi and I'm so siiiicck of you guys mentioning waaaaaar crrriiiimmeeeeesss all the time!"

Man I really hope that they use not only Attilla and Rome and do the other TW games for this. Including yes, Warhammer.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Well that sure was interesting enough I'd be prepared to have it on in the background while I did something else again.

I hadn't actually heard that the Dr in the show had changed gender so I spent the first 5 minutes 'Oh they got Mike but they didn't bring the Military Historian Professor back.....Wait...She kinda looks like...that can't be his sister....' *checks internet* 'Oh. Mystery solved.'

Most grating thing that struck me was the opening description of Carthage as the Rising Power challenging the long established power of Rome.

Also I think the Elephants were too big. Weren't the Carthaginian elephants a now extince sub-species that was smaller than current breeds. Although to be fair that's more on Creative Assembly than the show.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Man I really hope that they use not only Attilla and Rome and do the other TW games for this. Including yes, Warhammer.

'On tonights show we're refighting the Invasion of Kislev. One team will be Archeon the Everchosen fighting for the Blood God vs Magnus the Pious's Empire Forces. Over now to our team in the field who will show us all exactly how a Dwarven Steamtank is used.'

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My favorite Time Commanders moment is The Battle of Stamford Bridge episode with one of the kids saying something along the lines of "What about the Berserkers Mom?"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Well that sure was interesting enough I'd be prepared to have it on in the background while I did something else again.

I hadn't actually heard that the Dr in the show had changed gender so I spent the first 5 minutes 'Oh they got Mike but they didn't bring the Military Historian Professor back.....Wait...She kinda looks like...that can't be his sister....' *checks internet* 'Oh. Mystery solved.'

Most grating thing that struck me was the opening description of Carthage as the Rising Power challenging the long established power of Rome.

Also I think the Elephants were too big. Weren't the Carthaginian elephants a now extince sub-species that was smaller than current breeds. Although to be fair that's more on Creative Assembly than the show.

Don't read the comments on any of the youtubes when it comes to her new gender. Just don't.

Deptfordx posted:

'On tonights show we're refighting the Invasion of Kislev. One team will be Archeon the Everchosen fighting for the Blood God vs Magnus the Pious's Empire Forces. Over now to our team in the field who will show us all exactly how a Dwarven Steamtank is used.'

Be still my heart.

"This week we are going to watch dwarves slowly grind these vampire count armies to dust."

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Apparently, I just checked, It's the Battle of Waterloo next week. So it looks like they're really opening up the time periods this time around.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Deptfordx posted:

A popular YouTube channel did actually play a battle in TW Warhammer using the time commander format. If you can tolerate ~YouTube personalities~ you might get a kick out of it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I actually only picked up Warhammer TW very recently. I'm holding up on playing it till Xmas when i'll have my shiny new 27" IPS monitor.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
What's with the captains? Are they making each side groups of allied players, and having the general yell orders to their subordinates? That's a cool idea - I've always been frustrated by how much babysitting my soldiers require in these games.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Deptfordx posted:

Apparently, I just checked, It's the Battle of Waterloo next week. So it looks like they're really opening up the time periods this time around.

That one will be interesting. I hope they'll be cheeky and have the the players play the French!

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I've been arguing with a friend about the War on Christmas. I tried pointing out how the Puritans hated Christmas, but he doesn't believe me. I'm trying to find some sources on how the one of the Puritan goals in the English Civil War was the abolition of the celebration of Christmas.(that's military history, right?) I've found some stuff by Thomas Mockett and Incrase Mather but not a ton of contemporary sources wanting to outlaw Christmas in England and later the Colonies. Any help would be appreciated.

This is a pretty good History Today article about the issue, giving an overview of various pamphlets and Parliamentary actions: http://www.historytoday.com/chris-durston/puritan-war-christmas

(written y this guy: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/christopher-durston-307811.html)

It is quite old though and I'm not knowledgeable enough about the period to say if there have been any major changes in the overall interpretation of the issue, but the contemporary quotes etc stand.

Lobster God fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 12, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Don't read the comments on any of the youtubes

Good advice especially for any video.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

How have I never heard of Time Commanders before and is there any way to watch the new ones in America?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It really ought to become one of the things you're taught in Infant School (1st grade, subsitute as appropriate).

'You're reading skills are coming along very well Johnny. Just remember. Never read Youtube comments."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

How have I never heard of Time Commanders before and is there any way to watch the new ones in America?

Check YouTube series 1 and 2 is on there and chances are will always be as they wre broadcast and filmed pre-iPlayer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SeanBeansShako posted:

Greg Wallace is still a bizarre choice for host. Is he a secret MilHist guy? I've heard him chatting about West Ham United and grocery stores and a dozen ex-wives and liking puddings but that's all I know about him.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Apart from the obvious. It'll probably come to BBC America or get picked up by Discovery/History channel etc.

All the old ones are on Youtube.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Greg Wallace is still a bizarre choice for host. Is he a secret MilHist guy? I've heard him chatting about West Ham United and grocery stores and a dozen ex-wives and liking puddings but that's all I know about him.

He needs something to do now that master chef is off the telly for a while.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

The worst thing about the new show. I literally found myself muttering aloud 'Shut up. You shouty idiot' at one point. Should have let Mike Loades present it, with the good Dr as backup.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Rock Paper Shotgun blog reports he's apparently an old sweat when it comes to strategy based games, apparently according to his Twitter feed anyway. Dude has to do something in between the bigger meals.

I wanted Tony Robinson/The Frosts/Brian Blessed :smith: but he's okay.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh God. Brian Blessed presenting that show would be awesome.

'BLOOD. BLOOD. GET STUCK IN. YYEEAAHHGGGRRHHHH'

Edit: https://youtu.be/nIciw2Rgz50?t=316

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 13, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Oh God. Brian Blessed presenting that show would be awesome.

'BLOOD. BLOOD. GET STUCK IN. YYEEAAHHGGGRRHHHH'

Edit: https://youtu.be/nIciw2Rgz50?t=316

Even as a one time special guest presenter or cameo. He'd do it for free if they just asked.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Splode posted:

A popular YouTube channel did actually play a battle in TW Warhammer using the time commander format. If you can tolerate ~YouTube personalities~ you might get a kick out of it.

link

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

They should cover the Ostermark raid where the Dwarfs sent an army with accountants to recover the 2 gold coins plus interest.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fuligin posted:

It reminds me of that old bs about Aztecs having their minds broken by Spanish caravels because for some reason big boats with sails are just too goddamn crazy to comprehend

Huh has this actually been discredited? It was never supposed to imply that they were idiots, just that their brains weren't conditioned to process giant unnatural wooden poo poo floating on the sea. I'm not remotely qualified to talk about this but from my understanding it was suppposed to be similar to the tribe in the Kongo jungle not conceptualizing depth or the Aboriginal one that exclusively used cardinal directions- or if you wanna flip it, how in our society we can't conceptualize in cardinal directions without a lot of help.

It's not about them being too primitive to understand what a ship is, I'd always heard it as an example of how convoluted and complicated human thought process can be.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Koramei posted:

Huh has this actually been discredited? It was never supposed to imply that they were idiots, just that their brains weren't conditioned to process giant unnatural wooden poo poo floating on the sea. I'm not remotely qualified to talk about this but from my understanding it was suppposed to be similar to the tribe in the Kongo jungle not conceptualizing depth or the Aboriginal one that exclusively used cardinal directions- or if you wanna flip it, how in our society we can't conceptualize in cardinal directions without a lot of help.

It's not about them being too primitive to understand what a ship is, I'd always heard it as an example of how convoluted and complicated human thought process can be.

Wait, we can't conceptualise in cardinal directions? Like, north-west-south-east cardinal directions? Isn't that just as easy as checking the sky if you're not sure?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

If they could get a decent loving framerate out of Attila, it'd be pretty great.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Koramei posted:

That sounds like the bullshit from the What the Bleep Do We Know movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399877/

The movie was made by the Ramtha School of Enlightenment, which is led by a woman named JZ Knight, who claims to channel Ramtha, a 35,000 year old warrior priest from Atlantis.

Edit: found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQcBQc3oaKg

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

spectralent posted:

Wait, we can't conceptualise in cardinal directions? Like, north-west-south-east cardinal directions? Isn't that just as easy as checking the sky if you're not sure?

iirc the example wasn't just looking at the sky, the tribe in question used cardinal directions in their language in place of left and right, intuitively understood where they were even when there were no other cues and so on. I'm phone posting though so I may have this bungled; in any case I threw that in more as an example of how there are things we in our own society have trouble conceptualizing. it's not about being primitive, it's about how out brains get wired in different cultures as we're exposed to different things.

again though I'm really not qualified to talk about this, I was mostly just curious if the whole caravel thing was actually debunked or if the op just (underdtandably) reacted against it based on a false assumption and assumed it had to be bullshit.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Your Gay Uncle posted:

This might not be exactly what this thread is for but I figured there was no harm in asking, since you nerds seem to know absolutely everything about anything history related.

Just for clarity, I think it's a massive stretch to say that abolishing Christmas was a major goal of the Puritans in England. Also, I'd be careful about the word Puritan, because it can obscure the divisions between Cromwell, the Parliamentarians, and their sometimes allies in Scotland. Cromwell was an Independent (Congregationalist in modern parlance), as were most of the radical army agitators, and by extension the New Model Army as a whole (but within the Independents there was a fierce division between so-called Grandees and Levellers). Lots of members of parliament, meanwhile, were Presbyterian, and this was a major cause of conflict. Charles (who had up till then been strongly Episcopalian) led the Scottish Covenants into England with the promise of a Presbyterian England, and he probably thought the Parliamentarians would back him against the New Model Army. They didn't, and we know how that ended.

The period when Christmas was supposedly the most heavily suppressed in England was during the rule of the Major Generals, when Cromwell dissolved the last vestiges of Parliament and put England under the control of regional governors. Their role wasn't exclusively religious, but because he selected people primarily for agreeing with him on relgious matters, the effect was to produce a couple of years of highly oppressive reliigous government.

Anyway, I might have a dig around on this question later, but off the top of my head, here are a couple of sources for Puritan opposition to Christmas.

This is the Directory for Common Worship, aproved by the English and Scottish Parliaments.

http://www.reformed.org/documents/wcf_standards/index.html?mainframe=/documents/wcf_standards/p369-direct_pub_worship.html

quote:

THERE is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the gospel but the Lord's day, which is the Christian Sabbath.

Festival days, vulgarly called Holy-days, having no warrant in the word of God, are not to be continued.

Nevertheless, it is lawful and necessary, upon special emergent occasions, to separate a day or days for publick fasting or thanksgiving, as the several eminent and extraordinary dispensations of God's providence shall administer cause and opportunity to his people.

I feel like what your asking for is primary sources for Puritans/Roundheads laying into Christmas, and I'm not sure I know any of those. But there are definitely Royalist sources accusing their opponents of doing that.

This is an English ballad complianing about the supression of Christmas.
http://ebba.english.ucsb.edu/ballad/32883/xml

There's also a famous tract by Edward Fisher from the period, about how Christmas is cool and good, but I can't find the text of it online.
https://library.villanova.edu/Find/Record/1164636

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
This conversation made me think. We know the Nazis tried to rework pretty much every facet of German culture and life, even to the point of starting their own christian denomination. What did the Nazis do about Christmas?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Mycroft Holmes posted:

This conversation made me think. We know the Nazis tried to rework pretty much every facet of German culture and life, even to the point of starting their own christian denomination. What did the Nazis do about Christmas?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julleuchter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Koramei posted:

iirc the example wasn't just looking at the sky, the tribe in question used cardinal directions in their language in place of left and right, intuitively understood where they were even when there were no other cues and so on. I'm phone posting though so I may have this bungled; in any case I threw that in more as an example of how there are things we in our own society have trouble conceptualizing. it's not about being primitive, it's about how out brains get wired in different cultures as we're exposed to different things.
According to Wikipedia you're thinking of the Guugu Yimithirr of Australia, who don't have words for left and right, but orient on the cardinal directions.