Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Vengarr posted:

He was another casualty of 2016--died of cancer according to his friend on Twitter.

This actually turned out to be a weird joke by the friend in question. He's still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't think I'd want to be friends with someone who publicly claimed I died of cancer tbh

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think I'd want to be friends with someone who publicly claimed I died of cancer tbh

Sounds like the words of someone who's never experienced true friendship.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Captain Invictus posted:

Really depends on what type of cancer they say you died of.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

This actually turned out to be a weird joke by the friend in question. He's still alive.

!!!!

Wow, gently caress that guy. I was almost as sad as when John Glenn died.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

In terms of 'holy crap this attack he's yelling sounds awesome' G Gundam actually kind of goes backwards. Burning Finger's callout is the weakest of sauces compared to 'MY LOVE MY ANGER AND ALL OF MY SORROW!'

Even the normal callout is better. 'This Hand of Mine Glows with an AWESOME POWER' compared to 'this hand of mine is burning red.'

To be fair, he only does the full "emotions" callout a couple of times, other than that it's just the awesome power -> defeat you lead up. In terms of the basic two-line call outs though, I think they're balanced. Awesome Power definitely trumps Burning Red, but on the other hand I think "Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!" soundly beats "Its burning grip tells me to defeat you!"

Also the dub is wonderful but only for incredibly cheesy and over the top everything is. It's not gonna win acting awards, but they give 120%, especially Domon and Master Asia. But Chibodee Crocket, the AMERICAN, having "America The Beautiful" as his mother's lullaby is a close second.

Those are my opinions on G Gundam, My Hero Academia thread.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the sekiha tenkyoken is the actual ultimate attack. or the true ultimate sekiha love love tenkyoken.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Elfgames posted:

the sekiha tenkyoken is the actual ultimate attack. or the true ultimate sekiha love love tenkyoken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

I still love that scene so much

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Elfgames posted:

The fact that it leaves a perfect heart shaped hole has always been my favorite thing about that attack.

Now we need a female character in MHA who can shoot some type of beam, so Bakugou can fall in love with her and make this their ultimate combination attack.

AndwhatIseeisme fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 12, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

The fact that it leaves a perfect heart shaped hole has always been my favorite thing about that attack.

Now we need a female character in MHA who can shoot some type of beam, so Bakugou can fall in love with her and make this their ultimate combination attack.

Why do they have to be female?

Baron von Explodokills x Can't Stop Twinkling OTP.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
That is a strange otp, but I say live your dreams~

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

That is a strange otp, but I say live your dreams~

It was mostly a joke about the post of pairing Bakugou with a beam-shooter. Honestly, those two might be the worst possible class pairing, given their respective attitudes and tastes regarding... Everything.

(This is not a subject I previously put thought into. Though now it kind of amuses me.)

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Roland Jones posted:

It was mostly a joke about the post of pairing Bakugou with a beam-shooter. Honestly, those two might be the worst possible class pairing, given their respective attitudes and tastes regarding... Everything.

(This is not a subject I previously put thought into. Though now it kind of amuses me.)

Oh. Yeah. I was joking too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've never thought at all about how close Toshinori and his cop best friend are, or that there's no female love interest either of their lives.

Not once.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
All Might is asexual. You might bring up the time he was surrounded by beach babes as a claim to the opposite, but in reality he was just flattered that they liked his choice of swimsuit.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Poison Mushroom posted:

I've never thought at all about how close Toshinori and his cop best friend are, or that there's no female love interest either of their lives.

Not once.

Sorry ladies, he's married. To Justice.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a tangent, I literally could not remember Aoyama's real name, hence me using the hero names in the above shipping joke. Poor guy.

"Can't Stop Twinkling" is pretty memorable, at least.

Also All Might may have romantic feelings but as part of his duty as the Symbol of Peace he would never enter a romantic relationship as it would affect the image he is trying to project. (Though now that that's over, who knows. Well, he still probably won't, really. The whole dying thing, among others, puts a damper on that.)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i ship the tragic romance between shouji and hagakure. they can never see each other's faces but their love is real :unsmith:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Shouji is super cool and I don't say it enough, because I'm too busy saying that Ojiro is super cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Shouji is super cool and I don't say it enough, because I'm too busy saying that Ojiro is super cool.

That's fair because i'm usually too preoccupied saying that Shouji is really cool to voice that Ojiro is also cool.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kyouka and Mina are also pretty cool

(Okay, no, Mina is a loving nerd, but she's a great nerd. :3:)

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Sero is cool as well. You don't expect much out of him because of his plainness, but he is pretty good at being a hero.

Plus his costume is rad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

logger posted:

Sero is cool as well. You don't expect much out of him because of his plainness, but he is pretty good at being a hero.

Plus his costume is rad.
He feels like he's gonna be, if you'll pardon the term, the glue that holds a team together when he goes pro. He's not exciting or super combat-focused, but both he and his powers are reliable, which will make him a sort of force multiplier.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

He feels like he's gonna be, if you'll pardon the term, the glue that holds a team together when he goes pro. He's not exciting or super combat-focused, but both he and his powers are reliable, which will make him a sort of force multiplier.

I do love how useful he's been in all the teamwork sections. There's a proverb, something like a chopstick on its own is weak but unbreakable when bound together with many. He's like twine holding them together and making them all stronger than they could be on their own. I hope we see more of that in the future, though he is still great as a gag and when paired with Mineta.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Plain old Sero gets one of the best costumes among the group really.

Also tons of people want All Might to hook up with Midoriya's mom which I find kinda creepy honestly even if they elaborate on Midoriya's dad past the recent Omake and explain they're separated or something.

Midoriya's dad being absent but still married to Inko is kinda weird- I hope it's not the basis for a plot twist later. If you wanted to have Midoriya's only parent figure be his mom you could've just made her divorced- it's not like it's that uncommon.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Tollymain posted:

i ship the tragic romance between shouji and hagakure. they can never see each other's faces but their love is real :unsmith:

Ojiro/Hagakure OTP.

Kuroyama fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 12, 2016

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

logger posted:

Plus his costume is rad.

Between the costume (which he would've submitted the overall design for) and how tastefully his room was decorated, I feel like one of Sero's character traits is that he's got a very strong sense for good visuals.

Tollymain posted:

I appreciate you're going for here, but the power of Ojiro x Hagakure is just too strong.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I do love how useful he's been in all the teamwork sections. There's a proverb, something like a chopstick on its own is weak but unbreakable when bound together with many. He's like twine holding them together and making them all stronger than they could be on their own. I hope we see more of that in the future, though he is still great as a gag and when paired with Mineta.

Twine... or tape?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Fabricated posted:

Also tons of people want All Might to hook up with Midoriya's mom which I find kinda creepy honestly even if they elaborate on Midoriya's dad past the recent Omake and explain they're separated or something.

Midoriya's dad being absent but still married to Inko is kinda weird- I hope it's not the basis for a plot twist later. If you wanted to have Midoriya's only parent figure be his mom you could've just made her divorced- it's not like it's that uncommon.

I think Deku's dad is just supposed to be the stereotypical Japanese salaryman that works late everyday and is never around to see his family.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I think Deku's dad is just supposed to be the stereotypical Japanese salaryman that works late everyday and is never around to see his family.

Deku phones him to save his game and get pocket money.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
He's not your typical salaryman, he and Midoriya's mom mutually agreed that she should raise Deku by herself. But they're not divorced.

His dad is absolutely All for One and I will crow like a motherfucker when I'm right

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vengarr posted:

He's not your typical salaryman, he and Midoriya's mom mutually agreed that she should raise Deku by herself. But they're not divorced.

His dad is absolutely All for One and I will crow like a motherfucker when I'm right

Eh, reveals like that generally only make sense if the main character is special in some way or part of some greater plan. Midoriya really was a regular dude who managed to catch All Might's attention by chance, so there's no real excuse other than "a really crazy coincidence" for his dad being All for One.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Also, isn't AfO really old? Like, wasn't the deal that his brother was the original OfA, and now there have been at least 3 generations of OfA, most likely more?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Vengarr posted:

While it makes no sense, I always got a chuckle out of the "His dad is totally Endeavor" because of the "husband breathes a little fire now and then" line. That said, it would make no thematic sense or anything. Makes more sense if Deku's dad is just like, some dude that's not at all important. Most relevance they could get out of him is if he has a sad backstory of having wanting to be a hero, failed at it and became a salaryman. Maybe the guy from the Oneshot? haha.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Also, isn't AfO really old? Like, wasn't the deal that his brother was the original OfA, and now there have been at least 3 generations of OfA, most likely more?

I think they said All For One and One For All originated about 100 years ago. Which is 8(?) generations of One For All. With all the regen and healing quirks All For One had, 100 years isn't a stretch for survival. He didn't get trashed until a couple years ago when he and All Might almost killed each other.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I don't want Deku's dad to be anything special. Maybe just kind of a jerk who doesn't pay any attention to his family.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't see how dekudad being all for one would make sense on any level tbh

his mom says what dekudad's quirk is and hasn't all for one seen deku? he never said anything about him or even seemed to really care about him personally. it'd be completely out of nowhere if they had some personal connection; there's been no foreshadowing for that at all

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

a big part about deku's character is that he was an unspecial nobody who started getting people's attention for no other reason than his desire to help other people to the best of his ability, making him closely related to anyone genuinely important would be real dumb

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Brother Entropy posted:

a big part about deku's character is that he was an unspecial nobody who started getting people's attention for no other reason than his desire to help other people to the best of his ability, making him closely related to anyone genuinely important would be real dumb

But Deku's already related to his mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Brother Entropy posted:

That would be dumb, just like another guy I know. He's the village ninja dunce who only got anywhere thanks to his hard work, but also his parents were super good famous ninjas. His name? Naruto.