Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Some people are born to hate souls but a lot of people fall for them after putting a few hours in. I had a friend that was so bad at souls I eventually just told him it was probably safe to give up because it was clearly going to drive him nuts.

I was hooked by the end of the demons souls tutorial. Never really felt there was a hump. For difficulty maybe but not level of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Demon's Souls is what I'm playing at the moment, it's so so cool. I think it looks better than DS1 on PS3. I think when From work with the Japan studio they make the coolest stuff. I wonder if they have any more Sony exclusive games coming.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At first I would buy them, get stuck quickly, put them away, and return months later to start new characters and go through them to the end with relative ease (and wikis). This happened for both DeS and DS1. For 2, 3, and BB I jumped straight in and didn't stop, since I had finally learned to play them by heart.

vvvvvv I couldn't beat either tower knight or armor spider and figured I had given the game enough chances.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 12, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think demons souls actually eases the player in better than any of the other games. You start out with a level that seems tough but is manageable, with a fairly easy boss and then you get stomped by tower night and the game goes "hey check out these other levels if you want" and you get a pretty good idea of how to play through the game.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I own Baraka and Planet Earth on blu-ray, basically the 2 main films to own a blu-ray for

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

a shameful boehner posted:

I own Baraka and Planet Earth on blu-ray, basically the 2 main films to own a blu-ray for

Uhhhh... Pacific Rim.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Demon's Souls is what I'm playing at the moment, it's so so cool. I think it looks better than DS1 on PS3. I think when From work with the Japan studio they make the coolest stuff. I wonder if they have any more Sony exclusive games coming.

According to From, they're working on three new games right now: one is a new Armored Core, another is described as a game that will "probably comply with the expectations from the fans in straightforward manner", and the third is something Miyazaki is making that he says genre and content-wise will be "very weird." Also one of these three is PS4/PSVR but they haven't said which one.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

theyre going to be doing a psvr exclusive title iirc

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Fuzz posted:

Uhhhh... Pacific Rim.

Maybe if I need to make sure my black levels look good

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Bombadilillo posted:

Most people do. There's a point where all you instinct for years of every other game gets ignored and it just clicks and then you're in.

I had a friend describe it as 'that game where you have to block' which struck me as pretty accurate.

I have DS1 on the 360, and every time I try to get into it I get hung up on the idea that I have to parry and counter everything. Is that inaccurate, or is that more or less the right way to go? My dumb slow old hands are not getting it, and it's kept me from doing much past the Undead Burg in that game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bart Fargo posted:

I have DS1 on the 360, and every time I try to get into it I get hung up on the idea that I have to parry and counter everything. Is that inaccurate, or is that more or less the right way to go? My dumb slow old hands are not getting it, and it's kept me from doing much past the Undead Burg in that game.

you dont need to parry poo poo if u dont want to bud

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Both Armored Core and Ace Combat are games I really like but once I play them for like an hour I hate them. I like robot parts and Ace Combat replays and that's about it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bart Fargo posted:

You do not at all. My first time through DaS1 I hid behind a shield and poked things with a halbeard. I cannot go back to that method now but it got me through the game.

Start again and be a pyromancer and blow poo poo up with fireballs and smash them with your ax. Its lots of fun

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

you dont need to parry poo poo if u dont want to bud

Can confirm

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bart Fargo posted:

Parrying isn't the only way to go, agility builds that always dodge and never parry are just as feasible. You can also usually get away just with juking around until you bait an enemy into giving you an opening.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Also thanks to Macross and Top Gun I am extremely gay for the F14 Tomcat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Intel&Sebastian posted:

XL had the best soundtrack. Nothing like speeding around to instrumental Firestarter.

It definitely did, and the most distinctive racetracks.

AND...you could play the whole sountrack on a CD player because redbook audio is a w e s o m e

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 12, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

haveblue posted:

Parrying isn't the only way to go, agility builds that always dodge and never parry are just as feasible. You can also usually get away just with juking around until you bait an enemy into giving you an opening.

I never actually sat down with any of the Dark Souls games for more than an hour, and after beating Bloodborne I think I'm going to go back to them. Parrying in Bloodborne is the most satisfying thing with that dank bassy thump and the sting when you do the visceral attack, does Dark Souls have that

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

haveblue posted:

Or do the opposite and stack Vit and wear the heaviest armor and shield possible with the lightning spear and just slowly poke everything to death while walking like 2mph through the entire game.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I remember seeing an actual soundtrack CD of Wipeout XL back in the 90's and laughing. C'mon bruh.

Edit: Wikipedia says there's differences, but still...whyyy

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 12, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I never actually sat down with any of the Dark Souls games for more than an hour, and after beating Bloodborne I think I'm going to go back to them. Parrying in Bloodborne is the most satisfying thing with that dank bassy thump and the sting when you do the visceral attack, does Dark Souls have that

Yes, but it's much harder to pull off than in Bloodborne.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

a shameful boehner posted:

I got news for you son

https://www.criterion.com/films/28034-koyaanisqatsi

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Demon's Souls is really neat and the world makes a good case for why the choice at the end may be up for debate with how goddamn awful everything is but I don't really agree that it looks any better, having played both recently myself. The biggest issue is the extremely limited color palette per level, then there is just how awful trying to see anything in 5-2 can be compared to Lower Blighttown. The textures also just seem a whole lot sharper.

That being said the Tower of Latria is one of the most visually interesting levels that the series has done.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This is my favourite Wipeout track

https://youtu.be/_ULv08OcuFo

Fusion was also the last time Wipeout felt like a cutting edge main title rather than being relegated to handhelds or digital only. Which also happened to coincide with the dance music shift to mainstream.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

After all these years I'm not expecting it, but is there any chance of the camera and framerate in TLG being improved through a patch?

Because gently caress me... That first little outdoors area with the trees and beautiful light? That was frankly unacceptable on both fronts. I'm loving the game so far but I physically can't play for too long at a time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Also thanks to Macross and Top Gun I am extremely gay for the F14 Tomcat.

Plus the Transformers planes were usually F-14 or F-15s.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

Yes, but it's much harder to pull off than in Bloodborne.

I know its equipment dependent but i found parrying far easier in Dark Souls. Hell i beat the last boss totally with parry attacks, way less satisfying and visceral sound than bloodborne though.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Too bad about The Grand Tour being a bust but it's still better than Joey Top Gear.

What are you talking about?! It's the same show, same format just with a new production team that's still getting the hang of things(the first episode had some badly produced segments but they have already gotten better).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but that original show was bad, ergo...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Obsurveyor posted:

What are you talking about?! It's the same show, same format just with a new production team that's still getting the hang of things(the first episode had some badly produced segments but they have already gotten better).

The three cunts are in it doing the poo poo they did before. Ergo it's loving awful.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ramagamma posted:

I know its equipment dependent but i found parrying far easier in Dark Souls. Hell i beat the last boss totally with parry attacks, way less satisfying and visceral sound than bloodborne though.

ds1 last boss being broken entirely by parry is intended

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Jeremy Clarkson is an awful human being.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Top Gear is the most easily digestible, disposable, unfunny, unchallenging tripe that has ever emerged from British television.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Am I correct in assuming that the Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition in PS+ is the same game as the disc for ps3 and no updates that ps4 gets?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bart Fargo posted:

shields are absurdly good in dark souls 1 and you can pretty much just hide behind any of the 100% damage block shields all game

parrying is completely unnecessary if you don't want to do it. just hit the things with your sword

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

there are cool riposte animations but parrying with a shield or offhand weapon is both harder and more dangerous than gun parrying is in bloodborne

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Let It Die's combat is pretty similar in function to Dark Souls combat (but worse, of course, I don't think that's to anybodies surprise) and I wish they would take Dark Souls 2's approach to dual-wielding weapons and give you unique movesets for using 2 similar items, like dual-fists or a hammer and bat. The power-stanced moveset while using a dual-caestus character is great.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Let It Die's combat is pretty similar in function to Dark Souls combat (but worse, of course, I don't think that's to anybodies surprise) and I wish they would take Dark Souls 2's approach to dual-wielding weapons and give you unique movesets for using 2 similar items, like dual-fists or a hammer and bat. The power-stanced moveset while using a dual-caestus character is great.

I want Dark Souls 2 2. So much good ideas thrown out for 3. And most every nerd boner for 3 has been smashed by now.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

They threw out just about everything from Dark Souls 2 because Dark Souls 2 was a Very Bad Game.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Any deals on PSN gift cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

They threw out just about everything from Dark Souls 2 because Dark Souls 2 was a Very Bad Game.

its better than three and a really good game. 3 is also a really good game however.

• Locked thread