Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well, like I said I agree that there was an odd feeling to that last scene and you were just waiting for it to all be another trick. I guess I was responding more to the "what feels like Evil Dead" stuff coming from that article/interview. Because while this wasn't the greatest episode of Evil Dead ever I thought it was perfectly good, if a little awkward with the landing. Which seemed to be your take too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The thing that bothered me the most was how against the Bruce into the butt scene Rob was. That was the highlight of both seasons for fucks sake.

gently caress that guy.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

STAC Goat posted:

It makes no real sense since Ash never finding the book should mean Ash never became what he is, Kelly's parents are alive and well, and Pablo's just some stock boy with a crush on his coworker. And yeah, lady who seems to not much care about her daughter having just died.

But again, when has Evil Dead ever really made any sense?

And, I mean, I guess there's theoretically some timey wimey explanation for how this stuff all still played out just in a different way or Ash, Kelly, and Pablo are removed from it it since they did the time traveling or the lady never had a daughter in this timeline or something. But do we really want that poo poo with Evil Dead?

I don't know. I guess I just decided to turn my brain off when Ash Williams is on the screen sometime around Army of Darkness. Its just mindless fun in my book. Which is why if the original ending had happened and Ash had banged Kelly's mom and become her dad I would have rolled my eyes a little but just gone with it because Ash said something funny.

I thought about that, and I would be very willing to just go with it, except episode 9 very specifically talked about paradoxes and changing time. But then they changed literally nothing about their actual timeline, because Pablo was brought back by Ruby honoring the agreement. The change to the story could have easily just been hand waving time travel bullshit if the show itself hadn't already set up that it wouldn't just hand wave it away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They did change one thing, which makes it all the more confusing, the cabin got swallowed up.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

bull3964 posted:

They did change one thing, which makes it all the more confusing, the cabin got swallowed up.

This weirded me out a bit too. The cabin is like, the closest thing to a fixed point in Evil Dead Universe.

I'd expect the destruction of the cabin to be in the series finale. If it ever happened at all.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Like the cabin isn't coming back...

I think if I just had Ruby smirk in that Final scene I would have been more satisfied. I liked the ep, but the last scene just didn't fit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I felt like the "death" of the cabin was probably supposed to be the big hit of the finale, but it just didn't connect with me. I agree with that fired showrunner guy that going back to the cabin for the second season finale in a row felt redundant and I was kind of just relieved that the third season might not do the same (although it might).

Because, yeah, it will come back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Like the cabin isn't coming back...

I think if I just had Ruby smirk in that Final scene I would have been more satisfied. I liked the ep, but the last scene just didn't fit.

The thing is that the Evil Dead franchise is filled with those "Ash is happy, everything is ok" scenes that then just blow up in his face with a Deadite. The difference here is that instead of blowing it up they went with the Ruby walkthrough. It was a rare incident of restraint from this franchise and it felt odd.

edit: Doh, stupid double post.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Since they brought Pablo back through non-time travel means via the deal, they should have just done the whole multiverse thing where basically Ash spared himself in this timeline from the evil, but his timeline is fixed. So, he can't change anything in his future, only the future of another Ash. This also makes narrative sense for him, the only one he can really save is himself. His hand coming back could just be evil being a dick so it could be taken from him again.

Ruby, being a demon, could just hop universes back to one where the cabin exists and evil has a foothold.

That way, the events in the finale would make as much chronological sense as they possibly could.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll be honest. I just am in disbelief that we're discussing "chronological sense" and continuity about Evil Dead. It feels like having a physics discussion after watching a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I'm willing to accept whatever rulebook they present even if it's just hanging a lampshade on it. But this finale did nothing in that regard.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
*spitting out zombie titty milk* Prison rules, eh? *kicks old lady deadite in the cooter*

Art. Beautiful Art.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
I'm just going to pretend that whatever Ruby did with the book to "alter the deal" resulted in the weird half-and-half timeline fuckery.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

QwertySanchez posted:

*spitting out zombie titty milk* Prison rules, eh? *kicks old lady deadite in the cooter*

Art. Beautiful Art.

"You're inside me"

I loving loved this episode. The last 3 or so minutes were a bit meh but everything else was fantastic.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Well, I'm willing to accept whatever rulebook they present even if it's just hanging a lampshade on it. But this finale did nothing in that regard.

I would agree with you if this was any other franchise, the continuity has never really made sense.

Sucks the showrunner left, especially if he was the guy who pushed the morgue butt scene, but I have high hopes for the show still. It's not like Tapert totally sucks or anything, he's been there since the beginning. Also, a huge part of the show is just Bruce's campy charisma, so I'm still optimistic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

STAC Goat posted:

Well, like I said I agree that there was an odd feeling to that last scene and you were just waiting for it to all be another trick. I guess I was responding more to the "what feels like Evil Dead" stuff coming from that article/interview. Because while this wasn't the greatest episode of Evil Dead ever I thought it was perfectly good, if a little awkward with the landing. Which seemed to be your take too.

Yeah sounds like we're both in the same boat. Everything up to the final scene felt perfect in keeping with the general atmosphere of the show and it was quite funny, it just felt a little detached from everything that preceded it in season 2. As mentioned:

QwertySanchez posted:

Art. Beautiful Art.

Bruce Campbell is a national treasure. :allears:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
gently caress, I didn't know Tapert was married to Lucy Lawless. That little nerdy rascal.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I thought 100% for sure Brock was going to finish his sentence with "Ash, you and me, we're the same person!" and then was surprised when they didn't go there.

I think the original finale idea could've worked. It's ridiculous but so is the whole show. Although I wouldn't want Baal again.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I felt the series ended on a flat note and having read what the original ending was. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed as I noticed the hints throughout the season

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I normally hate season premieres which completely change the previous season's finale, but I would be 100% happy with Season 3 opening with the end scene playing and then you hear "Ash...ASH...ASH!!!! WAKE UP" and Ash slowly wakes up "...I'm a hero" only to be at his humdrum S-Mart job again. "Get to work or we'll get fired again. Were you having that stupid dream where the town thought you were a hero again? You know no one is going to believe you saved the world. Now go clean the toilet, a homeless dude pooped in the urinal" Kelly yells at him, and as Ash grumbles with the mob bucket the homeless guy who's life he ruined shuffles past "finally...revenge...ahahahahaha"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought those last few minutes were meant to be a dream. Not just the ridiculousness of the force ghosts or the sudden cut to the future and the way everyone seems to be just so happy, but also the dialogue.

quote:

Ash: Wow, it's just that... all of this, it's so perfect. I mean, I never expected any of this.
Linda: You deserve this, Ash. You've done your part and now you can live a normal life.

Then there's the way the jaunty music winds down in the credits (which could just be about the book being back) but to me it also suggests that the setting and the band music is fake in some way.

So the destruction of the cabin, and even Pablo's resurrection, could be part of whatever fantasy dream world Ash (and Kelly?) are now stuck in. Ruby "honoring" Ash's deal while also cheating him on multiple levels.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frankenstyle posted:

or the last season of Deep Space Nine.

Other than the overdone Vic stuff and the terrible recasting of one character, I thought the final season had some real good stuff in it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I want Ash to hear his shower running as he wakes up, and open it to find Patrick Duffy. It was all a dream...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Medullah posted:

I want Ash to hear his shower running as he wakes up, and open it to find Patrick Duffy. It was all a dream...

Deadite Patrick Duffy then fights him in the shower while cackling and cracking jokes.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

NarkyBark posted:

I thought 100% for sure Brock was going to finish his sentence with "Ash, you and me, we're the same person!" and then was surprised when they didn't go there.

I think the original finale idea could've worked. It's ridiculous but so is the whole show. Although I wouldn't want Baal again.

I thought the same thing, about Brock being old man Ash.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Deadite Patrick Duffy then fights him in the shower while cackling and cracking jokes.

The scene pans out and we see that it was all in a snow globe held by a deadite autistic boy, then deadite Bob Newhart wakes up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

The scene pans out and we see that it was all in a snow globe held by a deadite autistic boy, then deadite Bob Newhart wakes up.

And then Deadite Bob Newhart goes to his job as a lumberjack.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nobody tell me they wouldn't love to see Bruce Campbell and Bob Newhart have a 3 Stooges-esque fistfight.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Medullah posted:

And then Deadite Bob Newhart goes to his job as a lumberjack.

And then asks his kids if it is okay to date Robin again.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Firstborn posted:

The ending was jarring, but using the worse of two or more endings is Evil Dead as gently caress.

Oh I get it now, you're just the terrible opinions guy of this thread.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Then there's the way the jaunty music winds down in the credits (which could just be about the book being back) but to me it also suggests that the setting and the band music is fake in some way.
It's a repeat of the end credit music from the first Evil Dead movie. Right down to the weird winding down and the buzzing fly sound effect.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Takei is Okay posted:

It's a repeat of the end credit music from the first Evil Dead movie. Right down to the weird winding down and the buzzing fly sound effect.

Oh, I've uh...

uh...

notseentheevildeadmovies

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh, I've uh...

uh...

notseentheevildeadmovies

Oh.

Well you should rectify that right away.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I do like them but that first one is hard to watch, it's serious and is made with about 20 bucks. It's probably sacrilege, but I would just watch 2. It even gives you the abridged version at the beginning anyways.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

ChesterJT posted:

Oh I get it now, you're just the terrible opinions guy of this thread.

No need to be a jerk just because I don't agree with you. I just post in this thread because I like this show.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Zartosht posted:

I kinda feel like the after-credits scene was setting up exactly this. I'm about 90% sure the rusted out Volkswagen appears in the remake.

Nah it's a Delta.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I do like them but that first one is hard to watch, it's serious and is made with about 20 bucks. It's probably sacrilege, but I would just watch 2. It even gives you the abridged version at the beginning anyways.

You're partially correct. If you're only going to watch one evil dead, watch ED2. The first movie is still a must watch horror movie though, the shoestring budget is part of its charm. Also you get to see primordial Bruce Campbell "act," and that loving rules.

"Why are you torturing me like this??? Why?!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ED1 has some legit great disturbing effects even if they are stop motion, low budget, and clearly creamed corn.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

GreenNight posted:

The thing that bothered me the most was how against the Bruce into the butt scene Rob was. That was the highlight of both seasons for fucks sake.

gently caress that guy.

Agreed, he sounds like a petty rear end in a top hat and this is definitely a red flag regarding season 3 and the continued quality of this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I was expecting them to get back to the future and find it a desolate deadite over run hellhole like one of the Evil Dead games did

• Locked thread