Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm not a fan of Gail in the elevator. Little too stressful somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Yeah I'm not sure what their endgame is there. Maybe push her out of the group because they were only worried about melissa and didn't look for her?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm pretty sure the end result will be her realizing that she needs the group. This all started with her trying to get distance.

They've all been getting pretty lax on precautions since they've found this place. Riding an elevator by yourself when no one knows where you are is pretty stupid.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I'm pretty sure the end result will be her realizing that she needs the group. This all started with her trying to get distance.

They've all been getting pretty lax on precautions since they've found this place. Riding an elevator by yourself when no one knows where you are is pretty stupid.

Yeah, I always text my mom before I ride an elevator.

I'm kidding of course. Taking an elevator post apocalypse in general would be a weird decision.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This show has thrown pretty dark before so it really is up in the air whether or not Gail killed herself.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
This show's never been afraid to shake up the status quo when the premise was threatening to stale, so I've got relative confidence that they're going to go through with it.

What a way to go, though, :drat:.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I'm not a fan of Gail in the elevator. Little too stressful somehow.
It really was stressful, and that possible conclusion for her character was one of the darkest things I've seen in a network sitcom.

bull3964 posted:

The group's always been lax on precautions though. Their general incompetence is probably one of the most realistic things about the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gail's situation really brings to mind the section of The Stand where King describes the various death by misadventures of the immune people.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Last Man on Earth could just as easily describe the final state of Phil Miller rather than the starting point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully the flash visible from outside the building mean she fired outside the elevator, but that could just be wishful thinking. They do seem to be steering everyone but Phil and Carol into dark endings. I'm sure the plane crash/murder-suicide finale when the show gets cancelled will be a laugh riot.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So like 2 seasons of meandering, almost nothing, and then they drop that episode on us? Haha drat

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

muscles like this! posted:

Gail's situation really brings to mind the section of The Stand where King describes the various death by misadventures of the immune people.

No great loss.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Today, I learned that this returns on March 5th.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

Today, I learned that this returns on March 5th.

Hey, that's today.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
PRESIDENT PENCE

edit: holy poo poo

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 6, 2017

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Echo Chamber posted:

PRESIDENT PENCE

edit: holy poo poo

And Presidents Ryan, Tillerson, Mnuchin, Sessions, and DeVos.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I like the regular episodes more than most people in this thread, but once in a while they put out these amazing solo episodes that are leaps better.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Gonna need a gif of all those state funerals

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

If this show was only the first and last episode of every season, it would be the best thing ever made.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
That was surprisingly good.

Actually I shouldn't be surprised. So far the first episode of every season and half-season has been good, then it spirals into mediocrity.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The show never seems like it actually going to go anywhere. One day it'll just get cancelled and nothing will ever have amounted to anything.

e: I like the characters enough that it keeps me watching, I just wish I felt like there was some narrative arc to the show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"I'm sure the president has a vaccine"

*Funerals for 6 people down the line of succession*

Killed me. Also just going right to Pence and not having a President Trump when the virus hits.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I hope we see Jeremy again :ohdear:

Milk.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

You Are A Elf posted:

I hope we see Jeremy again :ohdear:

Milk.

i loved how he didn't even hesitate for a second before abandoning her.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gonna need a gif of all those state funerals
Anti-vaxxers ruin everything

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
When this show goes for 'solo adventures from during the apocalypse and after' angle it is quite fantastic, it really reminds me of 'The Stand' when it hits the right tone and I consider that to be high praise.

I don't hate the regular weekly sitcom-ish episodes, it's just that by comparison to this show's standout episodes they're really not as good and can get a bit too samey.

All this to say that this episode was good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
While I liked this episode, it feels like this needs to be an hour long show. 30 minutes seems like too short for the story they want to tell, and too long for the story the end up telling. I just wanted it to get to her finding the regular cast already. I feel like it will just end with her dying on the way over there or Melissa shoots her because "we can't be too safe."

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
man, that was really good. this entire show needs to be cancelled and re-worked to be more like the pilot and this episode. Just vignettes of random survivors and how they managed to eke out a living, and its a surprise when they finally meet up, or just baaaaaarely miss each other and only the audience knows how close they were.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

man, that was really good. this entire show needs to be cancelled and re-worked to be more like the pilot and this episode. Just vignettes of random survivors and how they managed to eke out a living, and its a surprise when they finally meet up, or just baaaaaarely miss each other and only the audience knows how close they were.

I bet it's expensive. When the episodes are about the group, it's one location for a whole season.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PostNouveau posted:

I bet it's expensive. When the episodes are about the group, it's one location for a whole season.

Now I'm envisioning them blowing 75% of their sets budget for each half-season in the first episode, and being stuck in a house for the rest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

They said last year that was kind of the reason Tandy and Carol rejoined the main cast so quickly and they didn't do more with Mike on his own. The budget is kind of tight and they can't afford to pay people to not be on the show.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

While I liked this episode, it feels like this needs to be an hour long show. 30 minutes seems like too short for the story they want to tell, and too long for the story the end up telling. I just wanted it to get to her finding the regular cast already. I feel like it will just end with her dying on the way over there or Melissa shoots her because "we can't be too safe."

I'm guessing this might have been a completely stand alone episode, given it was set in the past? When the drone got shot down (and presumably when Wiig's character left the bunker) they were all still at the Malibu beach house, where as now they've been at the tech compound in San Francisco long enough for Melissa to go crazy and Gail to maybe die...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Which makes me wonder why they even made the episode. They had to spend a bunch of money for all those sets and people with speaking roles. For what? Closure on that drone thing? Are they done with Kristen Wiig's character? Are we going to get another episode where she tries to find the house? Is she going to somehow show up at the tech campus? It was an interesting episode but it seems pointless.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Which makes me wonder why they even made the episode. They had to spend a bunch of money for all those sets and people with speaking roles. For what? Closure on that drone thing? Are they done with Kristen Wiig's character? Are we going to get another episode where she tries to find the house? Is she going to somehow show up at the tech campus? It was an interesting episode but it seems pointless.

It was really good.

Also it seems like we'll probably see Kristen Wiig again.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Cojawfee posted:

Are we going to get another episode where she tries to find the house?

:captainpop:

Yes. Obviously.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The Berzerker posted:

:captainpop:

Yes. Obviously.

What happened with the drone storyline from last season? I don't remember them being able to hear a voice talking to them from the drone, but then again, I don't remember them holding up the "We're Nice!" signs, either. Melissa shot the drone with her shotgun at the end of the episode IIRC, and then what, did we just forget about it entirely after fleeing from whatsisname with the custom jeans?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Phenotype posted:

What happened with the drone storyline from last season? I don't remember them being able to hear a voice talking to them from the drone, but then again, I don't remember them holding up the "We're Nice!" signs, either. Melissa shot the drone with her shotgun at the end of the episode IIRC, and then what, did we just forget about it entirely after fleeing from whatsisname with the custom jeans?

They couldn't hear a voice, it didn't have a speaker. That's why they didn't react to her talking.

And yes, they absolutely held up signs right before Melissa shot it.

The viewers, and the group, were lead to believe the UAV was from Pat's ship.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bull3964 posted:

They couldn't hear a voice, it didn't have a speaker. That's why they didn't react to her talking.

And yes, they absolutely held up signs right before Melissa shot it.

The viewers, and the group, were lead to believe the UAV was from Pat's ship.

Yeah, when I was watching yesterday I called that she was the one flying the drones as soon as I saw the drones.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
This show is so much better when Will Forte isn't in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably not the show for you then.

• Locked thread