Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Okay I am level 70 with 230 gear now what? Do I just grind command points for the rest of my life to get better than 230 or does raiding still give better gear or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

sassassin posted:

How many of your hundreds of characters are "very casual"?

All of them. I haven't played hardcore since we broke up our raiding group in 2014.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cheesetriangles posted:

Okay I am level 70 with 230 gear now what? Do I just grind command points for the rest of my life to get better than 230 or does raiding still give better gear or what?

What do you WANT to do? If you want to get into progression raiding and serious ranked PvP, then yeah, grind away - only crafting mats and schematics drop from raids, harder ones give better schematics and more command XP. If you don't care about progression raiding or Ranked PvP then grind if you feel like it, or go check out other class stories you haven't seen.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

sassassin posted:

Is the male or female voice acting better?

Male is Budget Harrison Ford

Female is Space Trucker

Both are pretty fun!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Haven't made it past ch 1 but my smuggler is a goony green fat gently caress and I love him. So nice to not be all SITH POWER LIGHTNING RAGE all the time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Where do you gather materials for crafting these days, anyway? I didn't see any nodes while playing through the chapters. :downs:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Having a debate with myself. On the one hand, I figure its time to finally see the KotFE/ET content. On the other, I am missing a JK/SW buff :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

Where do you gather materials for crafting these days, anyway? I didn't see any nodes while playing through the chapters. :downs:

Zakuul and Darvannis along with the grade 9 stuff, they're mixed together.

But seriously, just send companions on missions. You can send 8 out at a time, which covers the Rich and Bountiful gathering missions and Rich Mission missions if they've got two things (like Underworld Metals and Fabrics)

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Man the KotFE Veteran Chapters are no joke...regular enemies hitting for 20-35k with basic attacks.

Finished the first 3 Chapters in 208 gear but there were definitely some rough spots. Start of Ch 1 with no comp was me basically using every CD I got just to survive the 3 Skytrooper packs.

Edit: I do have a purple 230 MH.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

What's the GCXP payout for Veteran chapters? I just don't have the patience to replay them, though I am mildly curious how difficult they are.

I do find it a shock that they actually remembered to not make Chapter 9 have a Veteran mode available.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

What's the GCXP payout for Veteran chapters? I just don't have the patience to replay them, though I am mildly curious how difficult they are.

I do find it a shock that they actually remembered to not make Chapter 9 have a Veteran mode available.

320 CXP, 420 with DvL bonus. Not worth it by a long shot, do them once for the cheevos then forget.

The difficulty is legit...I died 6 times to the last Elite on Chapter 1. I finally managed to beat him with 4% health remaining by pillar-humping using Force Slow and DoT's. Even with off-heals he would kill my 125K HP Marr in tank stance with around 55% health left.

The only harder time I've had solo in this game was doing stuff like soloing Lost Island at 55 when it was 50. Definitely not the pushover Eternal Championship was. Again though I'm well under the recommended gear lvl.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Original Lost Island HM was no joke.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Man, crafting must be really popular since I'm not getting any "Refined Isotope" results.. Ohh...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Man, crafting must be really popular since I'm not getting any "Refined Isotope" results.. Ohh...

Haha yep, I noticed that right away. #BestQAEver

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Within 3 minutes there will be a page on the Star Wars wiki explaining what an istotope is.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Within 3 minutes there will be a page on the Star Wars wiki explaining what an istotope is.

"Artificial Isotope-5 imported from Neimoidian counterfeiters"

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
"Item one fifty-one on today's glitch list. We've got all the problems of a major MMO and a major RPG, and Galactic Command's not even on its feet yet."

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

"Item one fifty-one on today's glitch list. We've got all the problems of a major MMO and a major RPG, and Galactic Command's not even on its feet yet."

Clever girl.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I don't know if the goon guild is still active, but I'd love an invite. What do I need to get in?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Gramps posted:

I don't know if the goon guild is still active, but I'd love an invite. What do I need to get in?

See the OP

Or get on Discord and ask there

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Decided to randomly catch up on the changes in 5.0 and thought it sounded interesting (last I played was 3.x). The only thing I've ever did in this game was PvP all day every day because I found it fun. Word on the official forums is that the bolster mechanic is actually working fine because no more Expertise, so the need to grind gear is lesser now?

However, I also heard the Powertechs aren't doing so hot in PvP but I don't know if that's forum casuals whining or if its actually for real. I've been having tons of fun playing WoW but I am also feeling the desire to go blow people up with a grenade.

Will I actually be able to reliably blow people up with a grenade in 5.0 PvP?

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Zakmonster posted:

Decided to randomly catch up on the changes in 5.0 and thought it sounded interesting (last I played was 3.x). The only thing I've ever did in this game was PvP all day every day because I found it fun. Word on the official forums is that the bolster mechanic is actually working fine because no more Expertise, so the need to grind gear is lesser now?

However, I also heard the Powertechs aren't doing so hot in PvP but I don't know if that's forum casuals whining or if its actually for real. I've been having tons of fun playing WoW but I am also feeling the desire to go blow people up with a grenade.

Will I actually be able to reliably blow people up with a grenade in 5.0 PvP?

Bolster seems to work fine, biggest gearing concern is keeping/getting the armoring set bonuses. PvPing all day is a good thing to do now since it gives good command exp. I don't know exactly where PTs are right now but you can have fun playing any class or spec. Being the 'best' class is really only a concern in ranked and even then I'd just play what you enjoy the most. My guess is people are whining because PTs were really good for awhile but now Mercs have dethroned everyone to become the new gods. I'm pretty sure you can still blow people up though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mercenaries have an ability that blows people up, but I can't seem to recall its name...

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
PT good:

Very good burst behind Arsenal, Marksman, and Carnage.

High mobility.

Best hard stuns in the game.

Can now Guard in DPS stances.

PT bad:

Now that Mercs got buffed arguably the weakest DCD's...combined with good burst this makes them high priority in kill order.

Can no longer stance dance which makes Guard and guarding nodes a gamble.

Transpose is poo poo-tier. I don't even have it on my ability bar on my PT.

Basically in the current meta AP has been supplanted by Arsenal, Carnage, and possibly Deception.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I did some PVP with my commando last night -- they took out the ability that lets you hit people in the face with your gun! :qq:

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

PT good:

Very good burst behind Arsenal, Marksman, and Carnage.

High mobility.

Best hard stuns in the game.

Can now Guard in DPS stances.

PT bad:

Now that Mercs got buffed arguably the weakest DCD's...combined with good burst this makes them high priority in kill order.

Can no longer stance dance which makes Guard and guarding nodes a gamble.

Transpose is poo poo-tier. I don't even have it on my ability bar on my PT.

Basically in the current meta AP has been supplanted by Arsenal, Carnage, and possibly Deception.

Good run down, thanks. Pretty much the same as I remember it to be, so I think I'll still have fun with it.

EDIT: Actually, with the changes to Pyrotech, they seem to be more mobile and you no longer have to channel Flamethrower for 3 seconds. Are they still terrible in PvP?

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 12, 2016

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Fojar38 posted:

Can you also ask them to bring back our nubile padawan space girlfriends

:same:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They say the dark side corrupts, but drat

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sleepy hollow tie in event lookin good

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Hey, so I just started playing this a bit ago (with the thread's referral code, so I guess maybe you'll get Space Bucks?) as a Sith Warrior, and man... I mean, I enjoyed force choking droids, watching them gasp for robot air as much as anyone, but that story is just not doing it for me. So, before I commit to a second playthrough, two questions:

A) If I try Imperial Agent, is it going to be fun space opera spy adventure or is it going to be a lot of shadowy people tenting their hands and announcing that all is going according to plan? I'm not crapping on the latter, it's just, I have no interest in Star Wars's mysticism and ancient lore and I have trouble caring about "Lord Nefario seeks a seat in Darth Atrocious's star chamber." I just like the space ships and laser fights.

B) It was hard not to notice all the red glowy cave entrances a dozen feet from my green glowy Sith Warrior cave entrances - if I play another Imperial, will it be exactly the same game with a different framing story before I go fight through the same places? If I play Republic, I know they get the same planets, but will the settings feel particularly different? It was also hard not to notice that as a Sith Warrior I spent an awful lot of time murdering other Imperials.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The planets are the same no matter what class, with different stories obviously. They just coincidentally go to the same areas (the last part of all four classes on Dromund Kaas end at the Dark Temple, etc).

Agent has a little bit of Force stuff (it IS Star Wars after all) but is mostly a really well done space James Bond story. Sounds like it would be good for you.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Explosions posted:

Hey, so I just started playing this a bit ago (with the thread's referral code, so I guess maybe you'll get Space Bucks?) as a Sith Warrior, and man... I mean, I enjoyed force choking droids, watching them gasp for robot air as much as anyone, but that story is just not doing it for me. So, before I commit to a second playthrough, two questions:

A) If I try Imperial Agent, is it going to be fun space opera spy adventure or is it going to be a lot of shadowy people tenting their hands and announcing that all is going according to plan? I'm not crapping on the latter, it's just, I have no interest in Star Wars's mysticism and ancient lore and I have trouble caring about "Lord Nefario seeks a seat in Darth Atrocious's star chamber." I just like the space ships and laser fights.

B) It was hard not to notice all the red glowy cave entrances a dozen feet from my green glowy Sith Warrior cave entrances - if I play another Imperial, will it be exactly the same game with a different framing story before I go fight through the same places? If I play Republic, I know they get the same planets, but will the settings feel particularly different? It was also hard not to notice that as a Sith Warrior I spent an awful lot of time murdering other Imperials.

Bounty Hunter is probably the Imperial side story with the least mysticism but Agent is, by most accounts, a much better story.

BHs are cooler than Agents though. :colbert:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you don't want to murder Imperial Technicians best to pick a stealth class.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you hate all the mystical sith force nonsense, I think you'll love the agent story. Not because it doesn't contain any, but because when it does, it's to show how stupid it is (but in a genuine and surprisingly well-written way).

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The writer of the Imperial Agent story wrote 2 posts about creating the story and the inspirations behind it: part 1 and part 2

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Explosions posted:

Everyone else has given very useful advice, but I should mention that starting from Tatooine the SW goes through an event that doesn't stop the Force mysticism but does allow you to reframe your own role in it (spoilers if you just want the goods: you basically go on a spirit quest and confront your own inner goodness, you can choose to embrace it and become a secret agent of the Light Side within the Empire along with the magic super-jedi you've been chasing all througout chapter 1). Also you can sass Darth Baras relentlessly without consequence, never not tell off Baras at every opportunity.

All Imperial classes spend a lot of time killing other Imperials though, like, a lot. Infighting in the Empire is systemic, your choice of class just changes whether it's petty infighting between bitchy catfighting Sith/moffs or cool espionage rooting out traitors and spies.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

Bounty Hunter is probably the Imperial side story with the least mysticism but Agent is, by most accounts, a much better story.

BHs are cooler than Agents though. :colbert:

BH isn't the best story, but from a character perspective it's fun to be able to say to power-tripping Sith Lords "I'm not one of you, just shut up and pay me"

Also, so many punchable nobles on alderaan...

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
It's been stated but if you want as little Force stuff as possible, don't play any class with Jedi or Sith in its name. Character stories go through the same planets (and therefore mostly the same aesthetics) but class stories are so quick it shouldn't wear on you too badly - spare a thought for those of us who had to do all the planetary quests on every alt as well as class quests just to stay at-level. :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

BH isn't the best story, but from a character perspective it's fun to be able to say to power-tripping Sith Lords "I'm not one of you, just shut up and pay me"

Also, so many punchable nobles on alderaan...

Though you may be mighty enough to defeat most sith lords, you are quickly defeated by Darth Door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It's been stated but if you want as little Force stuff as possible, don't play any class with Jedi or Sith in its name. Character stories go through the same planets (and therefore mostly the same aesthetics) but class stories are so quick it shouldn't wear on you too badly - spare a thought for those of us who had to do all the planetary quests on every alt as well as class quests just to stay at-level. :v:

You didn't have to...you could always just grind KDY :suicide:

(and KDY was an improvement to the grinding experience if you wanted to DPS)

Medullah posted:

Though you may be mighty enough to defeat most sith lords, you are quickly defeated by Darth Door.

I mean, it was strong enough to defeat the mighty rancor, i'm not going to feel shame about it

• Locked thread