Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
One more BaT Ferrari. Great if you're friends with James May and have access to all his tiny brushes:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-ferrari-testarossa/

I drove the 348 for what is probably one of the last few times this year. It's picked up some sort of hesitation or timing issue under 3k, but it's really mild. Will keep paying attention to that to see if it gets worse with colder weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Would totally go after that with my small brushes over the winter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Missed a couple chances to drive before a real snow means salt gets on the roads. I think the season is over, barring a miracle.
Where am I at...

The struts that I put in 9 months ago are already weakening. They were $25 shipped, so I'll just redo them when I get a moment.
Wiper sprayers stopped working at some point. That one bugs me, as it's an inspection failure, and I'm not sure why they would just quit.
The AC/heat off button is getting really hard to activate, though it still works.
I have a NOS RF wheel; both right wheels have small curb rashes on them.
I haven't been timing the right window, but my gut is that it's slowing down, though that has good DIY references.

I need to decide if I'm going to do the timing belt in the spring or sell on. I got the car on the high side for its condition, and with the timing belt life pretty much up, I think it's:
- ~$35k without belt
- ~$43-45k with belt
The difference is pretty much what a major service costs. I think the car'd be easier to sell with the service, though the price point is such that there's probably a few DIY guys who might want to tackle it to save money.

I'm not sure how much I could get for the exhaust, since it's not a common Ferrari aftermarket brand, and it's really hard to decide if you like an exhaust from video.
I paid $3200 for it; don't think I mentioned that before. Might could get $1500, probably $1000.

As awesome as the car has been, it's still falling victim to my ADD. If I pretend to be a couple years in the future:
my lasting impressions of the car are its very distinct styling, amazing sound, and overall a very competent sports car for being made in 1991. I miss it like I miss my 944 -- an old school driving experience. The main negative is that it was a bit too special for me to feel comfortable driving just anywhere (not to mention having a leaky targa top). I've street parked it maybe 4 times, twice curbing the wheels. I've scraped the chin spoiler several times, a couple times really gritting me teeth on hearing it. But I'm not tempted to get back into one.
As far as contemplating repeats go, between a $40k 348 and a $40k C6 Z06, I'd get the Z06. I like having a normal car -- just being able to say "yeah" if a friend needs a ride. Instead of being like "ok, what is the weather like? Is there any construction on the roads that way? Is it longer than 30min so the car's fully warmed up by the end?"

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kimbo305 posted:

The main negative is that it was a bit too special for me to feel comfortable driving just anywhere...

As far as contemplating repeats go, between a $40k 348 and a $40k C6 Z06, I'd get the Z06. I like having a normal car -- just being able to say "yeah" if a friend needs a ride. Instead of being like "ok, what is the weather like? Is there any construction on the roads that way? Is it longer than 30min so the car's fully warmed up by the end?"

My M3 isn't anywhere as special or finicky as a Ferrari but after owning it for a few years I'm largely at the same point. I love driving it but spend the whole time nervous someone is going to hit me or something expensive is going to break. I hate street parking it and if I'm out driving and need to stop by walmart or something I'll usually go all the way home and get a different car. For the money I paid, or what it's worth now, I could have a much faster and easier replaced car that I could daily drive and not worry about.

That being said it'll stay in the garage for the occasional long day in the mountains and hopefully a track day next year.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Hell, I feel the same way about my s2000. I don't like driving it on the highway in town because of rocks/random debris. I'm always afraid someone is going to hit me. I don't take it anywhere where I'm not entirely comfortable with the parking situation. I feel like my garage isn't secure enough to stop someone from stealing the seats/dash/entire care. Etc... It probably would have been worse if I'd found a clean e46 m3 since those are definitely appreciating in value.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What I take from this thread -- I should just buy a Z06.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The z06 answer is similar to "the answer is always miata" except if you want something with some balls. It's hard to beat for the price you pay.

Having a nice car is cool but I don't enjoy it for the same reasons. I still think my car (G35 coupe) is nice but I'm not going to be paranoid about it. It will still get winter driven and fun, hard miles on it. :shrug:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Get an NSX, they don't break

The 348 is cool and stuff but it also seems to be a bit of a basket case

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

kimbo305 posted:

The main negative is that it was a bit too special for me to feel comfortable driving just anywhere (not to mention having a leaky targa top). I've street parked it maybe 4 times, twice curbing the wheels. I've scraped the chin spoiler several times, a couple times really gritting me teeth on hearing it. But I'm not tempted to get back into one.

This sentiment is totally understandable. Having a beater Miata has been really liberating, especially for a neurotic perfectionist like me. The car is presentable but annoys me to no end with its rust, faded paint and rock chips. I do want to eventually own one in pristine condition but would it really be better? A showroom condition car would be too nice to take out all the time and would just end up stored away from the elements.

Right now I can just hop in and drive it where ever and when ever, without giving a second thought to salt spray, gravel roads or street parking it with the top down. The car turns into a means to an end rather than end in itself.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

This sentiment is totally understandable. Having a beater Miata has been really liberating, especially for a neurotic perfectionist like me. The car is presentable but annoys me to no end with its rust, faded paint and rock chips. I do want to eventually own one in pristine condition but would it really be better? A showroom condition car would be too nice to take out all the time and would just end up stored away from the elements.

Right now I can just hop in and drive it where ever and when ever, without giving a second thought to salt spray, gravel roads or street parking it with the top down. The car turns into a means to an end rather than end in itself.

There was a time that I had two turbo Miatas. One was pristine. The other was a beater. I sold the pristine one and DD'd the poo poo out of the beater. So much more liberating to be able to haul on something with little worry about maintaining perfection.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Yeah, the retired NH Highway Patrol Charger is great for jumping in and taking care of business.
A friend needed to get his moped to the shop, and we were able to stuff it in the back seat. When we pulled it out, the pedal caught on the front of the vinyl seat cushion and ripped a 3" hole. I shrugged and didn't give it a second thought. It's the Dorian Gray portrait for all of my automotive hygienic obsession.

Nodoze posted:

Get an NSX, they don't break

The 348 is cool and stuff but it also seems to be a bit of a basket case
I wish I had personal seat time in an NSX, but sadly not. Muffinpox says the NSX is very nice, but not the same experience as the 348.
In my mind, the more reliable, more practical, less to worry about car beyond the 348 is the 987 Boxster Spyder. I think that says more about my overall anxiety owning the 348 than the practicality and reliability of the Spyder.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I owned a pristine 95M and had to sell it because it was too nice. I was worried about it getting totaled because that would have meant I lost my rear end, at the time the market for them was ridiculous, but the insurance companies valued them like a base Miata. When I sold it, KBB valued it at $3500 and I sold it for $10k to a guy in DC that had it delivered to him, bought it just off the pictures in the add.

Beater Miatas rule.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Being of the low end of "can afford a classic car" is definitely a huge part of my nerves for driving the car hard. If something seriously goes wrong, I'm out dozens of thousands of dollars getting parts to fix the car. I've been asking myself if I should take it to a track day before or after (or at all) the timing belt change. Before -- most risk, but sorta like cheating death on the lifespan of the belt. After -- new buyer will probably be a bit less thrilled about it being run after the major service has been done.

Harry Metcalfe put out a discussion with this classic car shop about 2017 price predictions, and it looks good for the 348 :pray:. The 348-relevant discussion starts at 15:01:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwXV4jwFwv4
I have an early pre-suspension change 348, though. And the spacers to make the car look good change the from-the-factory handling of the car, making it much tamer, though probably in a good way.

I totally agree with the guy saying that the 348's interior has grown into our current aesthetic standards.

Earlier in the video, one of the shop owners says that the lower end of the classic car market is £150,000, but notes that the market is evolving away toward garage queen investor owners, which would help me sell the 348. Granted, that's the English market, but the clock's running across the globe for 90s cars to come to the fore. I picture myself acting real snooty and watching this video in a smoking jacket to understand how my investment is doing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Being of the low end of "can afford a classic car" is definitely a huge part of my nerves for driving the car hard. If something seriously goes wrong, I'm out dozens of thousands of dollars getting parts to fix the car. I've been asking myself if I should take it to a track day before or after (or at all) the timing belt change. Before -- most risk, but sorta like cheating death on the lifespan of the belt. After -- new buyer will probably be a bit less thrilled about it being run after the major service has been done.

How is Ferrarri for supporting older cars? That's one thing that's pissed me off about BMW and even Porsche on non-911 models. I'd love to take my fleet to the track and really beat on them for a weekend but when a rebuild starts at ~7.5k and some parts are NLA it worries me. That said I really want to run the M3's back to back once the project is finished to see how they compare and I'll bring the beast (e28) along for fun.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm not really sure how common actual NOS is. For the 355, I'm fairly sure all the really brittle stuff has good (expensive) aftermarket replacements in stock.

To give you a taste of the costs for engine stuff for the 348, here's some prices from Ricambi America (the only company I've been buying parts from):
- block: $5500
- if they run out of those earlier run blocks: $11,400
- main bearing caps: ominously listed as Call
- crankshaft: $2000
- pistons and conrods: $2100
- right cylinder head: $9400
- left cylinder head: $2400
- left cylinder head if you have Motronic 2.7: $7000
- major service kit (plugs, filters, gaskets, belts, aftermarket tensioner bearings): $1250

That last price honestly doesn't feel that bad.
But clearly, if I blow the motor up, it's gonna take a huge fraction of the value of the car to get it back together. I can't imagine a whole running motor is much cheaper that NOS parts.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So what you're saying is that if you blow up the motor, it's actually cheaper to swap in an LT4 crate engine and make 650hp with a drivetrain warranty and easy access to inexpensive spare parts?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Eh, just stick a LSx in it.

Oh drat you KozmoNaut

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

On the value front -- do you see a seasonal change in value? i.e. if you sold now, would it bring less than it would in April/May? I assume yes, I was just wondering if flipping would be viable. It seems like it would be, and the margins would be big enough to make it worthwhile.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I'm not really sure how common actual NOS is. For the 355, I'm fairly sure all the really brittle stuff has good (expensive) aftermarket replacements in stock.

To give you a taste of the costs for engine stuff for the 348, here's some prices from Ricambi America (the only company I've been buying parts from):
- block: $5500
- if they run out of those earlier run blocks: $11,400
- main bearing caps: ominously listed as Call
- crankshaft: $2000
- pistons and conrods: $2100
- right cylinder head: $9400
- left cylinder head: $2400
- left cylinder head if you have Motronic 2.7: $7000
- major service kit (plugs, filters, gaskets, belts, aftermarket tensioner bearings): $1250

That last price honestly doesn't feel that bad.
But clearly, if I blow the motor up, it's gonna take a huge fraction of the value of the car to get it back together. I can't imagine a whole running motor is much cheaper that NOS parts.

Whats sad is parts for the S14 are pretty similar in price if they're available. Aftermarket there's a few sources, OEM has very limited availability and some parts are only available in Europe with a Euro VIN (Evo parts). I keep getting asked if it's really going to be cheaper S14 vs F20 with all the dry sump and special stuff I'm going to have to buy and yes...much cheaper. Last S14 I saw listed was $11k without harness, ecu or transmission. It also had around 85k miles on it and rebuilds start at around $7.5k

Good to see Ferrari supports their cars

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

On the value front -- do you see a seasonal change in value? i.e. if you sold now, would it bring less than it would in April/May? I assume yes, I was just wondering if flipping would be viable. It seems like it would be, and the margins would be big enough to make it worthwhile.

My take is that, past a certain price point, the buyer is a collector who has a nice garage/storage situation, and can afford to get really nice shipping for the car. In which case, they'll buy the car that they want whenever it shows up, because another good match might not show up in a while. I don't think that the "spring is here; I need to drive something cool" plays a big factor.

Not sure where that price point happens. Maybe between $75k and $100k.

Anyways, since my car is way south of that, yeah, I think the people who can just afford a $40-$50k Ferrari might have much tighter transportation budgets. Like they wouldn't want to trailer this car through a winter storm. If you're a dealer and can avoid some of the taxes, I'm sure you can make a profit. I know the dealer I bought it from did :/.
Car was listed on Fchat from Feb to April for 45k (last listed price in the post, anyways). The dealer who bought it listed it for 60k on eBay. I saw the ad in June and bargained him down to 51k. So that's ~6k profit for him, minus minor running costs and $300 for the flatbed driver to bring it up to Boston.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I keep getting asked if it's really going to be cheaper S14 vs F20 with all the dry sump and special stuff I'm going to have to buy and yes...much cheaper. Last S14 I saw listed was $11k without harness, ecu or transmission. It also had around 85k miles on it and rebuilds start at around $7.5k

Good to see Ferrari supports their cars
I'm sure the higher-end the car was, the better Ferrari will support you. For a price, of course. Some Ferrari-produced 348 accessories are NLA, like that folding cloth targa top I wanted. The community is very efficient about allocating parts that come up to whoever can pay the most for it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm so happy I'm too poor to afford two of these cars. Hearing someone talk about a sporty car with fear about driving hard makes my head and heart hurt. It makes me wonder if people are too scared about driving them hard what the point of them is anymore? I mean you're talking about it like you're worried a remodel on a house that needs it may not suit the needs of the next dickweed that buys it. gently caress that guy, drive your car.

Or maybe just get a beat to poo poo miata and dump a v8 into it and drive that thing hard. I'm so glad I drive an old piece of poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BloodBag posted:

It makes me wonder if people are too scared about driving them hard what the point of them is anymore?

I would have surely wrecked the Viper in the 900mi I had it if I'd driven it really hard on the street. The Z06 was a handful, but we're talking another 140hp on top of that and the base suspension. I remember distinctly the two times I dared put the throttle to the floor, and the kind of speed it could build was just scary. It's definitely possible to enjoy a car without driving it to the limit, though. For the 348, there's just being in the interior, the nice handling and shifting, and of course the sound of it.

The two times I wrung out the 348 past 6k in tunnels around here, I'm sure every car enthusiast in the tunnel was also smiling from the sound. That kind of experience is in one way, priceless, but in another, definitely not worth the chores of maintaining the car.

Can't even remember the last time I drove the car. The dust settling on it is depressing:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Not to be a downer, but why not just rent a supercar for a weekend whenever you want to pose around town and just be free of these ridiculous cars you don't use anyway? It seems like you're falling into the trap of working to own something really special, and then it becomes more of a burden than it's worth because something will break every time you use it. It's like a land-based-Ferrari-shaped-boat. A hole in your parking garage you just throw money into.

E: Maybe it's just perspective that comes with age, but my whole life my Dad's chased this or that Macguffin, and every time he gets it, he's unsatisfied because it doesn't live up to his dream, or just using it is a huge hassle (e.g. boats). Now he's chasing airplanes and dreams of owning a Porsche Cayman. It seems like there will always be the next thing to buy, and his only hobby in life is spending money. He's in his mid-60s and has nothing saved for retirement and relies on a govt. pension and soon, social security. I'm giving money to my Mom to help pay their bills, but damnit, he wants an airplane. What I'm saying is: learn an instrument. It's a lifetime of input and it gives you output and you'll never master it, but at least you'll have something to focus on that isn't horrendously expensive (unless you learn the church organ or something)

Anyways, ferrari is cool but I guess if it Flies, Floats, Fucks, or Ferraris, hire it by the hour :buddy:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 2, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It is a burden, but as far as mental cost, I worried about as much with all the issues I had on my $2500 944. Taking care of a car is part of my personality, and if I didn't have the 348, all my attention would be on sweating how to get the horn working in the Charger. Anyways, I did drive it last night. It'd been raining for a day and then dried out. Figured most of the salt would be off the road. Didn't do anything to get the dust off the car, but was good to ring in the new year.

If I lived in NYC, I would absolutely join the Classic Car Club, though. More so for the variety -- being able to rent a Gallardo or F430 doesn't appeal as much to me.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

BloodBag posted:

Not to be a downer, but why not just rent a supercar for a weekend whenever you want to pose around town and just be free of these ridiculous cars you don't use anyway? It seems like you're falling into the trap of working to own something really special, and then it becomes more of a burden than it's worth because something will break every time you use it. It's like a land-based-Ferrari-shaped-boat. A hole in your parking garage you just throw money into.

E: Maybe it's just perspective that comes with age, but my whole life my Dad's chased this or that Macguffin, and every time he gets it, he's unsatisfied because it doesn't live up to his dream, or just using it is a huge hassle (e.g. boats). Now he's chasing airplanes and dreams of owning a Porsche Cayman. It seems like there will always be the next thing to buy, and his only hobby in life is spending money. He's in his mid-60s and has nothing saved for retirement and relies on a govt. pension and soon, social security. I'm giving money to my Mom to help pay their bills, but damnit, he wants an airplane. What I'm saying is: learn an instrument. It's a lifetime of input and it gives you output and you'll never master it, but at least you'll have something to focus on that isn't horrendously expensive (unless you learn the church organ or something)

Anyways, ferrari is cool but I guess if it Flies, Floats, Fucks, or Ferraris, hire it by the hour :buddy:

You look at violin prices lately? Easily several Miatas

e: I get your point though. Ownership is overrated if you don't intend to keep it for life, and things that you tend to buy on a whim or are for style often aren't kept for life

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Going through the process of listing the 348 on BringATrailer.
It's $250, regardless of whether it sells.

I'm steeling myself for the car's flaws getting picked over to death by the community there.
The reserve BaT is recommending feels a little low, but I can live with it.
If it doesn't clear reserve, I think I'll follow through with the major service.

Taking a bunch of pictures to satisfy their recommendations. I understand that good pictures sell the car.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kimbo305 posted:

Going through the process of listing the 348 on BringATrailer.
It's $250, regardless of whether it sells.

I'm steeling myself for the car's flaws getting picked over to death by the community there.
The reserve BaT is recommending feels a little low, but I can live with it.
If it doesn't clear reserve, I think I'll follow through with the major service.

Taking a bunch of pictures to satisfy their recommendations. I understand that good pictures sell the car.

I know why your doing it, but drat I'll miss seeing pictures of your car. Easily one of the sexiest pieces of automotive kit ever produced.
I hope the selling goes well!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Don't know how good you are with a camera, but this might be one of the times when you should offer your DSLR toting friend a steak dinner and a chance to drive the car in return for 50 good, sharp, post-processed pics of the car.

Good luck with the sale. Like Siochain said, it's the sensible thing to do, but it's going to be missed.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
On a much smaller scale I know where you are coming from with this car. I had a cherry 93LE with less than 20k miles on it, ended up putting it on BAT for a few reasons but a big part of it was I was worried something would happen to it when I took it out (and did have a couple incidents). And that was just a Miata. The weird part is my uncle gave me that Miata and he's the guy who I asked a few questions about the seat belt for the 348ts he once owned. After owning a couple of Ferraris he's a Miata guy for fun but does have an old Lancia that falls into the rare car, rare parts category. Still not Ferrari priced.

By the way, BAT was good for the most part but they ended my auction in the middle of a weekday. You might want to inquire about start/end time and ensure it's after business hours. I talked to a serious collector who bid on my car in the morning then had court cases and never bid again. I might have missed out on some $ because of that.

Also yes, any possible thing that can be nit-picked will be. The only thing they could come up with on my car was the clutch fluid was a little low and the driver's mat was rough.

Good luck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sten Freak posted:

On a much smaller scale I know where you are coming from with this car. I had a cherry 93LE with less than 20k miles on it, ended up putting it on BAT for a few reasons but a big part of it was I was worried something would happen to it when I took it out (and did have a couple incidents). And that was just a Miata. The weird part is my uncle gave me that Miata and he's the guy who I asked a few questions about the seat belt for the 348ts he once owned. After owning a couple of Ferraris he's a Miata guy for fun but does have an old Lancia that falls into the rare car, rare parts category. Still not Ferrari priced.

By the way, BAT was good for the most part but they ended my auction in the middle of a weekday. You might want to inquire about start/end time and ensure it's after business hours. I talked to a serious collector who bid on my car in the morning then had court cases and never bid again. I might have missed out on some $ because of that.

Also yes, any possible thing that can be nit-picked will be. The only thing they could come up with on my car was the clutch fluid was a little low and the driver's mat was rough.

Good luck.

Slightly off topic but which Lancia does your uncle own?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Slightly off topic but which Lancia does your uncle own?
Hope this link works from when he bought it. Dealer pics, imported from Belgium iirc.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032817&pagenumber=296&perpage=40#post425831172

He describes it as old, slow and loud. He loves it though. Only problem was cooling wasn't good but they had the radiator re-cored and maybe a new water pump.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sten Freak posted:

Hope this link works from when he bought it. Dealer pics, imported from Belgium iirc.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032817&pagenumber=296&perpage=40#post425831172

He describes it as old, slow and loud. He loves it though. Only problem was cooling wasn't good but they had the radiator re-cored and maybe a new water pump.

A beauty and a great color combination. I do prefer the S1 Coupe to the Sport Zagatos, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bolind posted:

Don't know how good you are with a camera, but this might be one of the times when you should offer your DSLR toting friend a steak dinner and a chance to drive the car in return for 50 good, sharp, post-processed pics of the car.

I'm gonna use those dock pictures for the exterior. Those are pretty flattering.
Unfortunately, I didn't think to get the battery of interior shots that BaT wants (and that I should have). They linked this 355 for how to shoot the interior: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-ferrari-355-spider-6spd-manual/

This is what I got from the cold depths of the parking garage:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...lBRMFZaZGpjWWtB
I don't really want to drive in this weather the car to shoot it, but will if they really ask for it. They want underside pics, which I won't be able to get unless I drive to the shop.

There's another set of poorly lit engine and frunk pictures that I sent along to BaT. They might ask for more. The process is interactive, but pretty demanding.

Sten Freak posted:

They mentioned it would release on whatever day they were finished with writing the ad, but didn't think time would be an issue. I'll definitely ask.

quote:

One thing I discovered while shooting is how low the right window sits to the targa. The door hangs fine, so it's either the glass that needs adjustment or the targa that sits high. I'm sure someone'll spot that.
Also reminds me to get more pics of the frunk and fluid reservoirs. The car could definitely use a detail, but again, I think I want the condition that it's in to find its way to the right buyer.
I'll try to be active (and civil) in the comments section if stuff comes up. I was extremely up front about all the issues to the BaT writer. I'm curious how that information will be presented in the ad copy.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

One thing I discovered while shooting is how low the right window sits to the targa. The door hangs fine, so it's either the glass that needs adjustment or the targa that sits high. I'm sure someone'll spot that.
Also reminds me to get more pics of the frunk and fluid reservoirs. The car could definitely use a detail, but again, I think I want the condition that it's in to find its way to the right buyer.
I'll try to be active (and civil) in the comments section if stuff comes up. I was extremely up front about all the issues to the BaT writer. I'm curious how that information will be presented in the ad copy.
That last part is smart. I'm not sure if they are potential bidders trying to keep price down or just trolls but you get some BS. So someone spots the clutch fluid being a little low then you get people speculating that oh the car has a leak and this is a sign of blah blah blah neglect whatever. Whenever the discussion went that way I'd just put the shortest, most factual reply I could "The car has zero leaks of any kind and has been professionally maintained".

The one negative I mentioned to BAT was that the exterior was in good shape but would benefit from a professional buffing. This is because it had some clear coat scuffs here and there (didn't explicitly say this). The way they spun it was something like "Seller says car is clean but exterior would really pop with a professional detailing" or something like that. That was my fault due to the car being outside on a super windy day when the cover whipped against the exterior. It's part of the whole too nice of a car drives me crazy thing.

But if the photos are there, people can and should judge for themselves. You don't owe them any more or less than that imo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Went back and forth a few times with the BaT writer on the draft, and finally ok'ed everything. The tone is a bit dry and not effusive like same BaT ads are, but it's ok.
I'll link it when it goes up. It's sitting in a queue as they pace ready ads to go live.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Good luck on your auction! It has been an interesting ~year of reading and insight. I think that it is safe to say that I am not ready for exotic car ownership (which my bank account can verify). The adage of your thread title definitely rings true. I am surprised that you are not going the route of the full service first. My thoughts were that it would be worth the full service because you could command the higher premium and thereby weed out the countless swaths of goons hoping to make a cheap score. I would just thinking it would mean less of a beat down in the comments. The M3 that I just bought was listed pretty high as far as the market was concerned but after my phone call with the seller he told me that he purposely did that to weed out the dreamers and that the person who knew what they were looking at would make the right contact that communicated to the seller there was sincere intent. All told I went above what I had budgeted in my head; but that is because I have followed the market for a long time and I am aware of what inventory was out there. I paid a little above market and the seller is happy knowing the car is going to someone that recognized it was more special than a standard M3.

You are taking good steps by taking it to BAT though it will either be adored for the transparency and care you put into it, or a couple of mouth breathers with a keyboard could end up spoiling the bunch. At the least (should reserve be met) the car will be placed with a like minded person that will hopefully take the car and really enjoy it for what it is. Have you taken a thought into the next car? Do you think if you got a non-lemon Viper you would be here today selling it?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Good luck with the sale, I'm really going to miss your car and this thread. Thanks for sharing your Ferrari owning experience with us, it's been super interesting.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Sorry to see it go, but I'm sure you'll find something else cool for the next purchase. Already got some ideas?

Also thanks for taking us through the BaT process. It's neat seeing what goes into that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Good luck on your auction! It has been an interesting ~year of reading and insight. I think that it is safe to say that I am not ready for exotic car ownership (which my bank account can verify). The adage of your thread title definitely rings true. I am surprised that you are not going the route of the full service first. My thoughts were that it would be worth the full service because you could command the higher premium and thereby weed out the countless swaths of goons hoping to make a cheap score. I would just thinking it would mean less of a beat down in the comments.
I didn't get a precise quote from the shop, but figuring it'd be 10k or higher. Given the wear on the seats, the mileage, and the not perfect paint, I honestly wasn't sure if I could get my money back on the service.
Otoh, I don't know if there's enough DIY-capable Ferrari enthusiasts out there who're looking to save save save by doing the work in their garage.
I did ask BaT if they would let me relist after the belt service if it doesn't sell this time, but they didn't answer that question.

The one slight thing that might go in my favor is that the car is white. There might be another person out there that would like it over a red Ferrari.

quote:

You are taking good steps by taking it to BAT though it will either be adored for the transparency and care you put into it, or a couple of mouth breathers with a keyboard could end up spoiling the bunch.
There's only so much I can do to defend the car online. The ad links directly to my spreadsheet and album of records, which I hope speaks to my commitment to honesty. The writer took a pretty even hand to talking about the car's problems.

quote:

Have you taken a thought into the next car? Do you think if you got a non-lemon Viper you would be here today selling it?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Sorry to see it go, but I'm sure you'll find something else cool for the next purchase. Already got some ideas?

Even though I expect to take a decent loss on the 348 if it sells only slightly above reserve, it speaks to the financial insanity I was going through with buying a new Viper. Selling it 2 years later would have cost me way more per year of ownership. Well, I'll speak on the money aspect after the auction is over.

Not sure what's next. I'm taking buying a house/condo in Boston more seriously, and figured having more cash liquid would let me jump on some "deals."
I've always wanted a 911... I know Das Volk's TA 2.0 is for sale, just for more than I paid new for mine.

quote:

Also thanks for taking us through the BaT process. It's neat seeing what goes into that.
I'm curious how the payment stuff will go. Jymmybob in the Porsche thread complained about how harsh the payment rules are for bidding -- your card gets charged a big deposit right away. His card's fraud detection went off, and he couldn't get the thing squared away before the auction ended. Granted BaT has a 2-min extension per bid at the end, but doesn't seem very friendly.
Their cut is 5%, so the buyer pays 105% of the winning bid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

I'm curious how the payment stuff will go. Jymmybob in the Porsche thread complained about how harsh the payment rules are for bidding -- your card gets charged a big deposit right away. His card's fraud detection went off, and he couldn't get the thing squared away before the auction ended. Granted BaT has a 2-min extension per bid at the end, but doesn't seem very friendly.
Their cut is 5%, so the buyer pays 105% of the winning bid.

My major complaint with BaT is that there's no buyer or seller protection. If someone wins at 50k then BaT instantly gets a non-refundable 2750 whether or not their ad was accurate or the buyer follows through. It'd be one thing to eat the 5% buyer's premium if they actually verified through a 3rd party or physically themselves to ensure there's no major hidden or otherwise unknown problems, but for them to be able to get that premium and not bear any responsibility that the ad is 100% factual. Ebay has much better protections for the buyer since auto auctions aren't binding like normal Ebay auctions and sellers at least can relist and vet/use feedback. If Ebay had the same terms then people would never stop talking about how much of a scam it is.

That said it's a nice move for selling a car like yours because you'll have a much wider audience than any enthusiast site and I imagine your car will attract a lot of people who would never dream of buying a Ferrari on Ebay. I know the 911 people were amazed that people do indeed buy them on Ebay while they'd fly across the country to buy from some random dude who happens to post on the same forum. Man, I've gotten bitter from having to trawl through 'exotics' forums and read posts from those bunch of dudes huffing their own farts.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 19, 2017

• Locked thread