Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Wheel chat? Wheel chat.

I like my '15 Scat Pack wheel. Everything clearly marked on the front (Including Cruise control), rockers on the back for song/station and volume changing. The D-pad is for all the different screens between the Speedo and Tach - pretty much the same as sleepy.eye's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

The left lane isn't your personal "the speedlimit doesn't apply to me so I'm going to exceed the posted limit by a factor of two" express lane, HTH.

The left lane also isn't for doing the same speed as the right lane without passing anyone, spaced in such a way that all you're doing is blocking faster vehicles from simply continuing straight instead of weaving through.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

xzzy posted:

I'll use cruise pretty much everywhere. Speed limits in my suburban hell are way too loving low and there are a lot of bored cops looking to fill quota, it's super easy to creep up in speed and get burned. So I set the cruise and avoid the issue entirely.

Same thing in the rural hellscape far north of you. They've just finished improving 14 from 2-lane asphalt to 4-lane concrete with paved shoulders and a grassy median between. Nothing around but a farmhouse every mile or so. Speed limit dropped from 50 to 45.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

The left lane also isn't for doing the same speed as the right lane without passing anyone, spaced in such a way that all you're doing is blocking faster vehicles from simply continuing straight instead of weaving through.

When you're going 40+ MPH faster than the next fastest traffic everyone is going to be blocking you though. Maybe you're the problem in this scenario...?

Also tell me more about being a "responsible motorcyclist" :allears:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 12, 2016

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Geoj posted:

When you're going 40+ MPH faster than the next fastest traffic everyone is going to be blocking you though. Maybe you're the problem in this scenario...?

Also tell me more about being a "responsible motorcyclist" :allears:

Both of you, get off the road and pull into the Denny's parking lot and go fight about it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i drive a hyundai, op

note that the radio buttons on the left are an optional extra that i do not have

nonetheless, they still manage to have the correct cruise control configuration(tm)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's not safe to speed excessively or go faster than the flow of traffic, and it's also not safe to hang in the overtaking lane when you're not overtaking. Shockingly, everyone can be wrong in this situation!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PT6A posted:

It's not safe to speed excessively or go faster than the flow of traffic, and it's also not safe to hang in the overtaking lane when you're not overtaking. Shockingly, everyone can be wrong in this situation!

Normally I'd agree, but in this case (given the source) I'm willing to give literally everyone else on the road a pass.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NoWake posted:

Same thing in the rural hellscape far north of you. They've just finished improving 14 from 2-lane asphalt to 4-lane concrete with paved shoulders and a grassy median between. Nothing around but a farmhouse every mile or so. Speed limit dropped from 50 to 45.

Whereabouts? They did the exact same thing with Peterson in Lake Co, but they dropped from 55 to 45. Bullshit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's frustrating but is technically how the system is rigged to work. Road improvements can trigger a reclassification, and the "default" speed limit in Illinois is 55 mph and more or less only matters for rural farmland routes. Then the subdivisions start to creep in and things fill up, they make the road safer and wider but now it's classified as a "collector" instead of an "artery" and they get different guidelines for speed limits.

Federal funding plays a role too, you might get more money if you classify the road a certain way.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I don't like any controls on my wheel except a horn ring.

The audio control is under my right foot, and that audio also doubles as cruise control, since I know what 70MPH sounds like.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-QRFH_3faM

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

mobby_6kl posted:

My parents used to have an '86 Ford Scorpio with buttons on the wheel, it's very simple and effective:

Every time I see a Scorpio, I always think "Upscale Taurus."

I know this is wrong, but my brain is like "nope, don't care, lol."

So.....is there a reason why that dropoff isn't surrounded by a guardrail or at least a shitload of yellow-painted railings?

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 13, 2016

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Or, you know, why the driver wasn't paying attention?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

PenisMonkey posted:

Little old lady with half inch thick glasses who can't visually discern anything smaller than a VW bus.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PenisMonkey posted:

In the dark, that would be almost impossible to see.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Well, it wasn't dark. Also looks like a loading/unloading ramp for that huge door so a barrier probably wouldn't work well for that.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Domestic Amuse posted:

Every time I see a Scorpio, I always think "Upscale Taurus."

I know this is wrong, but my brain is like "nope, don't care, lol."

So.....is there a reason why that dropoff isn't surrounded by a guardrail or at least a shitload of yellow-painted railings?

probably so you can load or unload the truck that backs in there

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

xzzy posted:

Another button sets "mode" on the radio, rotating through fm/am/cd/aux/bluetooth. Who the gently caress messes around with the radio mode while driving? It should be a mute button.

I just got a rental Buick Verano and it has a rocker on the wheel for selecting the audio source, but no play/pause or previous/skip track buttons. :wtc:, GM?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Oh god, wheel chat.

The steering wheel in my KIA Cee'd.

Buttons on the left side, from the top:

Mute sound ; Search channel on radio
Volume up ; Channel up
Volume down ; Channel down

Activate voice control
Start call
End call

Buttons on the right side, from the top:

Steering wheel mode ; Reset cruise control
Various ciuse control settings...

Access car settings
Navigate settings
Retur/Exit settings

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

carry on then posted:

i drive a hyundai, op

note that the radio buttons on the left are an optional extra that i do not have

nonetheless, they still manage to have the correct cruise control configuration(tm)

Does your Hyundai bother to display the chosen cruise control speed anywhere? It irritates me that in my father's reasonably-new Tucson there's no way to see what it's set to, made worse because I don't drive it much and always forget the speed step size. Maybe it's more common than I realise, I haven't driven that many new cars.

The car has plenty of stupid screens, it's just mildly inconvenient for no obvious reason. I always feel like I end up out of sync with the rest of the traffic when I use it. Sorry, everyone who shares a road with me!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm the person who uses cruise control everywhere, mostly because I'm lazy. Also Toyota cruise control sticks haven't changed in forever except for some minor shape changes (read: basic layout and control methods are the same), which is nice.

Also, I'm the semi who decides not to clean off the top of their trailer and decides to head down the freeway, creating a cloud of snow for miles behind them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does Toyota still do the thing where the cruise control operates in miles per hour no matter where you bought your car or what units it uses to display speed or fuel economy?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god my dad will use cruise control as much as he can right up until the last second then slam on his brakes as to not rear end traffic on the highway. I confronted him about doing this and he said it was "because he was lazy". This thread is triggering me.

He also consistently gets passed on the right and when I tell him what's happening and why that's happening he tells me he's being the safest one.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

uvar posted:

Does your Hyundai bother to display the chosen cruise control speed anywhere? It irritates me that in my father's reasonably-new Tucson there's no way to see what it's set to, made worse because I don't drive it much and always forget the speed step size. Maybe it's more common than I realise, I haven't driven that many new cars.

The car has plenty of stupid screens, it's just mildly inconvenient for no obvious reason. I always feel like I end up out of sync with the rest of the traffic when I use it. Sorry, everyone who shares a road with me!

My Ford Fiesta doesn't tell you the set speed, which would be nice. They ran out of screen real estate for a poverty spec model, so I guess I understand why.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't think I've ever been in a car that displays the selected cruise control speed, except maybe really high end ones like Mercedes. Is this a common thing now?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I don't use cruise control because it's rare that I have more than 1/4 mile without a car in front of me, and I drive faster than most other people on the highway.

I rarely use it on long trips where I have plenty of room to use it because it gets uncomfortable holding my foot above the pedal, and even though I know I *could* rest my foot on the gas, I find it awkward to do so when I don't actually want to change speed.

With my new car having a digital speedo I find it pretty easy to maintain speed within ±1 mph.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

PT6A posted:

I don't think I've ever been in a car that displays the selected cruise control speed, except maybe really high end ones like Mercedes. Is this a common thing now?

My 2013 Focus does it, and my wife's Explorer does too.

What I would like to know is if the Focus ST really that different from the base Focus? I like the steering wheel layout on my Focus SE.

They put the cruise control accelerate/decelerate on the left thumb rocker, and the resume/cancel is the flappy paddle underneath.

xergm fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 13, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

Ford Transit Connect does it, at first it felt like a redundant feature to me but then I grew to like it because it let me sperg out about exactly how fast I was going. It made me want decimal precision on cruise control so I could perfectly pace whoever was in front of me. :spergin:

That van was actually a really good ride.. three of us did a 1400 mile work trip in it a few weeks ago and I had no major complaints. Feels planted all the way up to 85mph, nice steering, didn't get pushed around by crosswinds too badly. Only real complaints are the hood on the cluster was too low so I had to hunker down a bit to see the top of the speedometer, and the high beams were a bit wimpy.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Not to change the thread, but I agree about the Transit and Transit Connect. We got a few Transit ambulances, and they are very planted and stable up to pretty high speeds. Also, completely digital dashboard, good steering wheel controls with tactile buttons, and excellent ergonomics. And they show you the cruise speed.

Moving from our mid-90s E350-based ambulances with solid axles and leaf springs to the Transits was like glimpsing alien technology.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

xergm posted:

My 2013 Focus does it, and my wife's Explorer does too.

What I would like to know is if the Focus ST really that different from the base Focus? I like the steering wheel layout on my Focus SE.

They put the cruise control accelerate/decelerate on the left thumb rocker, and the resume/cancel is the flappy paddle underneath.

Sounds exactly the same as my 2014 Focus ST.

Once I got used to the layout I am ok with it, but I still occasionally change something on the dash display when trying to change my speed setting. :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Did they ever find the candle supply place? :ohdear:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PT6A posted:

My Mazda 3 displays it twice, once down in the cluster and again on the little flip up display on top of the binnacle

The flip up display is kind of a neat gimmick but the only thing it shows that isn't duplicated elsewhere is the current speed limit (at least as per the last traffic sign the camera caught)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

dissss posted:

is the current speed limit (at least as per the last traffic sign the camera caught)

what

I had no idea modern cars even DID that. Other than teslas, of course.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kastein posted:

what

if you have Waze and someone was kind enough to put down the speed limit, it'll display that. Mind you, it gets a bit wonky in construction zones, and not every street has a speed limit in the database.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

kastein posted:

what

The integrated HUD with new BMWs does, the after delivery HUD just reads from the OBDII and lacks the camera.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Dick Trauma posted:

Did they ever find the candle supply place? :ohdear:

it was/is literally the next "aisle" over

http://jalopnik.com/trip-to-candle-store-takes-drastic-turn-1790001106

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speed limit signs are super easy to OCR so once lane watch cameras became a thing, tracking the current speed limit was a no brainer. It'll only get more common.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/GTC/posters/21_Muyan_Ozcelilk__Speed_Limit_Recognition.pdf

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

Speed limit signs are super easy to OCR so once lane watch cameras became a thing, tracking the current speed limit was a no brainer. It'll only get more common.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/GTC/posters/21_Muyan_Ozcelilk__Speed_Limit_Recognition.pdf

That's nifty. Hopefully this will get rid of the people who never realize that the speed limit's gone up considerably, and (less likely) the people who think new speed limits take effect as soon as the sign can be seen in the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PT6A posted:

The Zoe does it.

kastein posted:

what

Mine does it via the GPS, rather than reading the signs.

These are the people you share the range with:
http://i.imgur.com/oPGPHW4.mp4