Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Jeff Sullivan did some poking into Chapman's look when he loses velocity and it's not nearly as apocalyptic as some people are making it out to be.

The problem with this analysis is that everyone knows and expects Chapman to be throwing 100+ right now. He can more easily get away throwing a few pitches under 100 MPH when you are getting guys to cheat on 104 MPH fastball, they're gonna be early at 98 MPH. If you take away the idea that Chapman is on average throwing over 100 MPH he becomes more hittable at 98-99. I'm sure Chapman is going to be pretty lights out for at least the next two season but I'm curious what happens when the inevitable decline happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

At work, we have a bathroom that also has a locker room and a shower. Right now the smell of raw sewage backing up through the shower drain is filling the entire office

I officially know what it's like to play for the Oakland A's

I was helping my brother install a deck yesterday, and his city has a sewage leak near his house, so his back yard smelled of it. That gets tiring after awhile.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

The problem with this analysis is that everyone knows and expects Chapman to be throwing 100+ right now. He can more easily get away throwing a few pitches under 100 MPH when you are getting guys to cheat on 104 MPH fastball, they're gonna be early at 98 MPH. If you take away the idea that Chapman is on average throwing over 100 MPH he becomes more hittable at 98-99. I'm sure Chapman is going to be pretty lights out for at least the next two season but I'm curious what happens when the inevitable decline happens.

Thank you for this. Even as I posted that I knew there was some chunk of the analysis missing but I couldn't put my finger on it. I'm still not overly concerned, but this is definitely something not accounted for.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/808432817856249856

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

My team is the Los Angeles Superbas and today I am happy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

It's low but it's not 2013 Astros low

$22m team salary, that was pretty embarrassing

I think almost every team in baseball had a player making more than the entire Astros team

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think the more interesting "fun fact" of the 2017 Padres is that, between Shields, Upton, Kemp, Gyorko, etc. they are paying more to players NOT on the team than they are to players on the roster.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The highest paid and only non-minimum guy on the 2013 Astros active roster was Erik Bedard

His salary was $1.15m

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Braves signed John Danks, for some reason. Only to a minor-league contract though.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Yeah I suppose I am. I'm glad my preferred team will continue to employ a good player. We have a relative lack of Dodgers posters in SAS these days and sometimes I overcompensate, sorry.

Posting to help offset the void of Dodger fans in SAS, and to say that I am quite pleased with the continuing Dodger-ness of Kenley Jansen, Justin Turner and Rich Hill :glomp:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AP/status/808507363871358976

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The most offensive thing that players are made to wear in baseball is camo.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Good.

Now do domestic abusers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Good.

Now do domestic abusers.

woah woah woah woah woah.

Lets not get crazy now.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Baseball says yes to Indians, no to Princesses

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Baseball should be played nude, like the ancient Greeks played it.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

will_colorado posted:

Baseball should be played nude, like the ancient Greeks played it.

League-wide, players decide to slide in feet first from now on.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Every at-bat starts with two balls

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Intruder posted:

Every at-bat starts with two balls

not for Kruk

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Or Adrian Beltre.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Offensive logos on the other hand are a-okay.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

will_colorado posted:

not for Kruk

Welp

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

GODDAMNIT, I WAS ONLY JUST JOKING AROUND ABOUT THAT poo poo. :(

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/12/12/chad-bettis-testicular-cancer/

quote:

Colorado Rockies pitcher Chad Bettis was diagnosed with testicular cancer last month but expects to make a full recovery, according to a report by ESPN.

Bettis had surgery on Nov. 29 to have a testicle removed, he told ESPN in a statement, but he expects to report to spring training in Arizona in February and be a part of the Rockies starting rotation next season.

seriously, feel up your balls, y'all.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 13, 2016

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!

ego symphonic posted:

Yes, the Nationals did not commit $16 mil/year to a relief pitcher. It is they who are owned.

TBF Dusty Baker might well use a reliever for 200 innings next season

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Boof Bonser posted:

TBF Dusty Baker might well use a reliever for 200 innings next season

The Nats also did throw more money at Jansen, only to be rebuffed, which is indeed quite :lol:

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Ban flat-billed hats

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Offensive to women:

Not offensive to natives:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I still think CJ is rocking the poo poo out of that black dress though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

patonthebach posted:

Offensive to women:

Not offensive to natives:

They're both offensive. Because women are 50% of the populace it's easy for MLB to sell getting rid of demeaning costumes to the teams as a simple way to potentially expand in that demographic.

Unfortunately native Americans have next to no voice or purchasing power in our society at all, and so it's much easier for them to just keep saying "we'll fix it eventually". Please don't do the whole song and dance where one offensive thing going away was never actually offensive because this other offensive thing you care more about didn't go away yet. It's stupid.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I also like that pic since all 7 of those players made an impact over the last two seasons :) but I would like it even if they weren't wearing amazing princess costumes.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

They're both offensive. Because women are 50% of the populace it's easy for MLB to sell getting rid of demeaning costumes to the teams as a simple way to potentially expand in that demographic.

Unfortunately native Americans have next to no voice or purchasing power in our society at all, and so it's much easier for them to just keep saying "we'll fix it eventually". Please don't do the whole song and dance where one offensive thing going away was never actually offensive because this other offensive thing you care more about didn't go away yet. It's stupid.

You're the second worst poster in this thread

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The implications of hazing rituals using gender markers is not something this thread needs to go down, I think, and we all agree that Cleveland should go back to the Spiders.

I'll take one victory and acknowledge that another still needs to happen.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Native Americans can't even get people to agree to "let us prosecute men who come onto tribal land and rape our women" so good luck with the Indians logo

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Those guys are all just like "hell yes I'm a princess" anyway, if you're going to haze somebody it has to be something they actually give a poo poo about

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

will_colorado posted:

seriously, feel up your balls, y'all.

A good self exam in the shower takes like 30 seconds. Once a month. It's 30 seconds that can save your life.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GeneX posted:

There's no need to self-burn like that.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

GeneX posted:

Who's the worst? Is it me? Please say it's me!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dude how many name changes have you had in the last few weeks? This is at least the third I've noticed

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

Dude how many name changes have you had in the last few weeks? This is at least the third I've noticed

Me? I got this one a few weeks ago. Before that I was 'bad boy in the boy band' for a few months from one of those name change threads in gbs. Before that I was Retail Slave for like 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I could swear there was a name in between the boy band name and this one but hell maybe I'm just remembering wrong

• Locked thread