Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ya know, I'd say that it's impossible to turn Sonic into an RPG but then I remember Super Mario RPG and Command Mission. I guess Sega shoulda asked SE instead of Bioware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
...oh my god, it totally is Bioware. The year after Mass Effect and the year before Dragon Age: Origins. I'm speechless, I don't know how to rationalize this at all.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dzhay posted:

Having seen a few people (some of them on this site) play Sonic Adventure recently, mainly to make fun of it, I've noticed their versions seem a lot buggier than what I remember. Selective memory on my part, or porting issues?

Probably selective memory, most of the bounding boxes have holes big enough to force a character through at the corners, or don't extend infinitely high. It was the first of Sega's actual 3d platformers so that's mostly understandable. It's just 17-years-ago-you probably wasn't trying to break the game over their knee.

ricdesi posted:

...oh my god, it totally is Bioware. The year after Mass Effect and the year before Dragon Age: Origins. I'm speechless, I don't know how to rationalize this at all.

Mass Effect had a 3 year dev cycle, and they were working for the 360 which had a very dev-friendly architecture. Sonic Chronicles had a 2 year dev cycle and nobody at Bioware had worked with the DS before.

And yeah, I was nerding the gently caress out when I first heard about it because "Sonicwinter Nights!? HOW CAN THIS BE BAD!!?!?"

The answer is several ways.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 6, 2016

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Mark my words, as more unexpected third-party developers enter the fray, we will definitely be covering the bizarre irony of some of their entries in the franchise.

In the meantime, John is trying his absolute damnedest to close this thing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqWp_dessTk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTUTyQ1SZcE

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Those last bosses with no rings was always infuriating, especially if you'd gotten all the emeralds.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Oh my christ, nothing is more infuriating than your achievements throughout the game amounting to nothing for the final battle.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

It would have been nice if they changed the boss a little bit for knuckles so you don't fly into his spike hands but I guess we can't have the S&K cartridge do everything.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

No kidding, right? What's weird is, the game was totally capable of that -- part of that 256KB patch actually included data that reduced Knuckles' jump height to match Sonic & Knuckles, there's no way they didn't QA test the final boss. I can only imagine it was a deliberate move, it just seems cruel in hindsight.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Spiky knuckles vs. spiky knuckles. WHO WON? WHO'S NEXT? YOU DECIDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTV2YBGNLtw

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The zords between the Dinozords and Ninjazords that you were thinking of the Thunderzords. Which were a Red Dragon, Black Lion, Yellow Gryphon, Blue Unicorn, and Pink Phoenix.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Kurieg posted:

The zords between the Dinozords and Ninjazords that you were thinking of the Thunderzords. Which were a Red Dragon, Black Lion, Yellow Gryphon, Blue Unicorn, and Pink Phoenix.

Hey, random Power Rangers trivia is my shtick :v:

Glaric
Oct 9, 2011

That's just sad.
Rita Repulsa's Super Sentai counterpart would be Bandora. I think her deal was that 65 million years ago she was queen of the fairies, but one day her son was killed by a dinosaur so she sold her soul to Satan (like actual, literal Satan) to get the power to kill the dinosaurs. And that's the in show reason the dinosaurs are extinct.

Zyuranger was weird.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Kurieg posted:

And to note, the five main Thunderzords did indeed show up before the Tiger Zord. And on dinosaur talk, I recall that the Triceratops was recently concluded to just be a juvenile Torosaurus. The stuff about the T-rex was new to me though.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That ending is so bizarre. Tails why are you helping Knuckles all the time, what happened to Sonic?

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Kurieg posted:

THANK you. That was bugging me so much.

Cassa posted:

That ending is so bizarre. Tails why are you helping Knuckles all the time, what happened to Sonic?

I'm gonna call it canon, because gently caress it, why not.

SPEAKING OF, let's get caught up on some videos! First up, we have last Friday's special two-player Sonic 2 video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56uJT-B8TVk

...and today we have a very special gently caress-around with Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Beta!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ihEj8TtwBI

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Maybe Genocide City was Robotnic finally using his Death Egg to blow something up. I'm guessing it was one stage long and then ohshit sonic time to go and stop that!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm pleasantly surprised you are all doing the beta - I figured if you were going to you would have done it before Sonic 2.

Heck, aren't there enough leaked betas and abortive games in the franchsie at this point that you could pretty much do an entire meta LP like you're doing just for those.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised you are all doing the beta - I figured if you were going to you would have done it before Sonic 2.

Heck, aren't there enough leaked betas and abortive games in the franchsie at this point that you could pretty much do an entire meta LP like you're doing just for those.

You can read about it here. Basically the Japanese speaking dev team just wanted a "dangerous" word for the title, it was alternately called Cyber City. It was meant to be a single act level after Metropolis and ultimately became Metropolis Act 3.

I also want to make a slight correction to the Sonic comic trivia brought up a few episodes ago. Robo-Robotnik was technically the Robotnik in the comics ever since issue 75 (and eventually reverted to a human thanks to alien shenanigans), but after the first Mega Man crossover the Super Genesis wave retconned the continuity and made him the foe from the beginning. Right now the current comics arc is actually going over the origin of the Freedom Fighters in the new continuity and sticking much closer to the games.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

ricdesi posted:

I'm gonna call it canon, because gently caress it, why not.

Along with the time Sonic spent ~100 years getting blue spheres?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The super genesis wave also killed off like 99.999999% of the world's echidnas. And a couple hundred thousand other side characters.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Kurieg posted:

The super genesis wave also killed off like 99.999999% of the world's echidnas. And a couple hundred thousand other side characters.

Luckily most of those were Penders' army of awful OCs, but it did include some actual decent ones like Mina Mongoose too. Basically anyone not created by current comics staff got axed, including gray area characters like Scourge/Evil Sonic.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man that means you guys are going to do Crackers, Crackers is the worst.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Maybe Genocide City was Robotnic finally using his Death Egg to blow something up. I'm guessing it was one stage long and then ohshit sonic time to go and stop that!

Nothing gets me going like rationalizing headcanon for Sonic levels, for serious. I think I've mentioned I was trying to make an RPG-styled fangame based on Sonic 1 (with an epilogue leading into Sonic CD), and making sense of the Zones and their geography was always a neat magic trick to try to pull off. Like Marble Zone was a burgeoning Greco-Roman-like civilization that Robotnik essentially wiped out in his relentless search for the Chaos Emeralds.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

We were considering it way back at the start there, but we were still juggling around ideas about how in-depth to go with betas (should we look at the Nick Arcade beta too? Or Betas 4-8? Or investigate Sister Sonic?), and ultimately decided that it would bust up the flow of the earliest games a little too much, especially considering it would have come right after Sonic Eraser, and that might have been way too much "broken game" in a row. Since the Sonic & Knuckles Let's Plays ultimately did a sort of "rewind" back through the Genesis library, we decided this would be a great place to do Sonic 2 Beta, further assisted by the fact that Sonic 2 Beta is a significantly better experience with the context of the finished Sonic the Hedgehog 2 behind it.

Dzhay posted:

Along with the time Sonic spent ~100 years getting blue spheres?

Are you suggesting anyone would be good enough to beat 1,340,000 Special Stages a year? Because we sure as hell wouldn't be.

Grapplejack posted:

Man that means you guys are going to do Crackers, Crackers is the worst.

I've only played it once, back in college. It's such an amazingly non-game level of prototype it's amazing it ever got notoriety at all. I mean, it's very technically a beta, not an alpha, but it's so small that odds are we'll have a single episode dedicated to it before moving on.

In short: yep. Sonic Crackers will get its literal 15 minutes of fame.

As for Sonic 2 Beta, we put up the last two videos over the past two days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RyGUsdTJdE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKppYzZcKak

...however, today's video may need to wait until tomorrow -- it's been a weird week and I still need to record the intro with John. It's definitely gonna be a trip, leading us straight through to Christmas. Keep an eye out over the next 24 hours!

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

ricdesi posted:

Are you suggesting anyone would be good enough to beat 1,340,000 Special Stages a year? Because we sure as hell wouldn't be.

That's not too bad. It's only 1 level every 23.55 seconds.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

HomestarCanter posted:

That's not too bad. It's only 1 level every 23.55 seconds.

I'm not so sure we can clear them that fast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ-jAJhm3fg

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oh look you did, nevermind.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Oh, we absolutely did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngKwM2jq0Lk

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I was asking if you were going to do the sonic 1 lock on, I wasn't expecting the second live segement.

So what's the next game on the list, one of the Tails Gamegear games?

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Gotcha gotcha, yeah we're taking a quick trip through Blue Sphere land before time finally catches up with us.

Until then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tn8Qp-6MFs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zzr5OR_cmc

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Apparently folks get around it by giving donations to marijuana producers, and the marijuana producers provide free marijuana samples wonce the donations pass certain thresholds!

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

That seems like a lovely way of giving back to the community. Plus, charitable donations are tax-deductible!

Been a bit busy with the Christmas rush, but let's check out the finale to this horrible Blue Sphere experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkw45C0k6a8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRQj_sfpDyQ

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Watch more adventures of sonic the hedgehog already!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A comprehensive LP thread that also includes a let's watch? I'd be remiss if I didn't link to http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL77cyBBc5dX9zWlqLH6SNnNjpHgRPxvU5 before it's lost to the internet forever. Probably needs a :nws: text warning and it has in-jokes aplenty, but the text onslaught is kind of unique and I haven't really seen it done outside of that group since then. You need to watch the videos in a way that lets you see annotations (not captions); that probably means browsers only, I'm not sure which phone/console-native viewers support them

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Holy poo poo, the wait is FINALLY over! After a very eventful holiday / New Year / MAGFest season, our intended-for-Christmas special has finally arrived!

While this isn't strictly (or really, almost at all) part of The Super Sonic Let's Play, its ending does lead directly into the next Sonic game we're playing this afternoon. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPCr75miu5k

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Watch more adventures of sonic the hedgehog already!

We WILL be getting back into that either this coming weekend, or the weekend after. This week is unusually busy (literally plans every night but Friday), so we might not be able to squeeze it in until next week, but we have been hearing a lot of clamoring for us to bring back D-Pad + Chill, so it will be returning at long last!

Sentient Data posted:

A comprehensive LP thread that also includes a let's watch? I'd be remiss if I didn't link to http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL77cyBBc5dX9zWlqLH6SNnNjpHgRPxvU5 before it's lost to the internet forever. Probably needs a :nws: text warning and it has in-jokes aplenty, but the text onslaught is kind of unique and I haven't really seen it done outside of that group since then. You need to watch the videos in a way that lets you see annotations (not captions); that probably means browsers only, I'm not sure which phone/console-native viewers support them

Oh NICE, I'm gonna have to give this a watch, and I'll be sure to keep the annotations on. Thanks for the heads up!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ricdesi posted:

Holy poo poo, the wait is FINALLY over! After a very eventful holiday / New Year / MAGFest season, our intended-for-Christmas special has finally arrived!

While this isn't strictly (or really, almost at all) part of The Super Sonic Let's Play, its ending does lead directly into the next Sonic game we're playing this afternoon. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPCr75miu5k

Nice to see you brought Seriesly back again. Though I should note that all the name changes in NT Warrior and NT Warrior Axess (such as Torchman, Moltanicman, etc.) are entirely the fault of the dub, the Japanese version uses the same names the games do. Speaking of which, are you planning on eventually covering the 3 seasons that weren't brought to the west as you get further into the Battle Network series?

Also, for later down the line if you want Battle Network 6's plot to make more sense to you I'd highly reccomend you play the Team Colonel version of Battle Network 5.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Larryb posted:

Nice to see you brought Seriesly back again. Though I should note that all the name changes in NT Warrior and NT Warrior Axess (such as Torchman, Moltanicman, etc.) are entirely the fault of the dub, the Japanese version uses the same names the games do.

Yeah, I initially debating keeping the original names (FireMan, Gospel, ...Gospel) over the updated ones (TorchMan, Grave, VirusBeast), but figured if it meant I was clashing with audio in the same video it might get confusing. But yeah, the dub really messed stuff up there.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, are you planning on eventually covering the 3 seasons that weren't brought to the west as you get further into the Battle Network series?

We are! Axess, Stream, Beast and Beast+ will all be getting facetime as the series goes on!

Larryb posted:

Also, for later down the line if you want Battle Network 6's plot to make more sense to you I'd highly reccomend you play the Team Colonel version of Battle Network 5.

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on which game is canon when there are multiple options, and it seems like the only BN/SF games where the choice matters are Battle Network 3: Blue Version and Battle Network 5: Team Colonel. Which is a shame, it'd be amusing to play BN3: Blue, BN4: Blue Moon, and BN5: Team Blues.

Anywho, now that the big special's out of the way, The Super Sonic Let's Play can continue, with...

Knuckles' Chaotix.

Help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he8pBKu9IEQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8bBucqZOcg

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yes, Knuckles Chaotix has a two player mode. It's horrible because it takes away the hold command, All B does is grab your partner if you're close. Doing a slingshot when neither of you can actually stand still is impossible. As are the buttons that you have to hit by standing at max tether distance.

For your sanity and ours do not do the 2 player mode

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rick you put an enormous amount of effort into Seriesly and I appreciate it.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Kurieg posted:

For your sanity and ours do the 2 player mode

A reasonable request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Technical Analysis posted:

A reasonable request.

Well, I mean, there's nothing preventing you from combi-catching yourself into Heavy and Bomb. That said, you can toss your partner into the end of stage bonus rings even on single player and play through them as the Mechanix, and it's kind of hilarious.

Yes I played this game way too much as a kid.