Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DeimosRising posted:

She didn't grow up watching Star Wars tapes on loop, she probably won't understand why you all hate the prequels. Watch them in release order, and if you really end up liking them then rewatch the original 3 to recontextualize.

I didn't grow up watching Star Wars either and never got the crazy love for them and I loving hate the prequels because they are poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Escobarbarian posted:

6 should go between 5 and 1, no? Unless you really hate Return of the Jedi that much.

The idea is to preserve the story as much as possible whilst watching all the movies.

You start with 4 and 5, which are perfect with no prior knowledge. You get the big twist at the end of 5, then jump back and see 1,2,3 which explain all the backstory to that point. Then, you go and watch 6 to finish off the series in a satisfying way. 7 slots in at the end since it's basically in its own continuum at that point.

1,2,3 kind of work as a very extended cutaway, where you explore the backstory of the big 5 twist and then come back to the action in 6. If you have to pick any particular order of all the movies, this one gives you the most satisfying story structure.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Bit odd to treat watching all the movies as the goal rather than as a means to the end (having an enjoyable 2 hours) isn't it?

But I'm going to see Rogue One on thurs with someone who's never seen any of them. So why pay attention to my advice

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm struggling to think of any series where release order isn't the best.

Even if your goal is to watch all the movies for some non-enjoyment purpose, release order is still the best because then you see the evolution of the franchise as it was developed.

The prequels simply aren't good. The thing that most people enjoyed about them was the visual effects, which haven't aged well at all. They pale in comparison to recent Marvel movies, for example. If you want to see a bunch of cool looking space stuff and don't care if there's much of a story, watch Guardians of the Galaxy instead of a Star Wars prequel.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm so glad I watched the prequels in the cinema as a kid so I'll never feel like I "have" to watch them to get the full story or whatever. They are close to worthless.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like I watched that fan edit that SMG linked the other day, and while the Daft Punk and John Carpenter soundtrack made it tolerable, and it was 1 movie instead of 3, I still feel like I watched a bunch of garbage. The Darth Maul fight was abridged quite well, but the Dooku fight and final RotS fight were completely intact.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snak posted:

I'm struggling to think of any series where release order isn't the best.

I think the Indiana Jones films would be an interesting one.

But yeah, just watch Star Wars in release order. You get to, for the most part, slowly watch the quality decrease with each film. But even when you're watching the bad parts, you're at least watching bad parts in really, really fascinating movies. The those bad parts just happen to be the half of RotJ that takes place on Endor as well as majority of the subsequent films.

e: Protip: if anyone wants to gain a massive amount of new insight into the prequels, watch them on mute. Without the terrible dialogue, poorly constructed story, and awful acting, you actually get to see the incredible thought, artistry, and care that went into making those very, very bad movies. But you also have to give enough of a poo poo about Star Wars to dedicate like 6 hours of watching movies on mute.

Lucas infamously said that he essentially made them as silent films so even he was on board with that idea. I just wish there was a "John Williams Only" cut of the films. Heck, there probably is on OriginalTrilogy.com.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 12, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why wouldn't you watch in release order? That's the only way to watch anything that's in a series. The very idea of a "prequel" is that it's still something made after the original and which assumes knowledge of the original.

Don't do any of that weird fan poo poo where they apologize for or make excuses for the prequels. Just watch them, but know that there's nothing wrong with getting tired of the prequels and stopping before the end of them. I've never seen Episode III all the way through and I've never had the desire. Christopher Lee basically being Dracula again is like the best thing about those movies, but even though I love him I've never seen Dracula 1972 all the way through either.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Even ignoring their (utter lack of) enjoyability as movies in themselves, the SW prequels don't really add anything of value plot-wise and mostly answer questions that nobody asked, and often with loving stupid answers. I've always supporting skipping them entirely, unless you're just morbidly curious.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

Why wouldn't you watch in release order? That's the only way to watch anything that's in a series. The very idea of a "prequel" is that it's still something made after the original and which assumes knowledge of the original.

Seriously. This is not a historical document. Watching 1, 2, 3 doesn't give you any "insight" into 6. Watch in production order because that's the order the stories were developed.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mr. Belpit posted:

Even ignoring their (utter lack of) enjoyability as movies in themselves, the SW prequels don't really add anything of value plot-wise and mostly answer questions that nobody asked, and often with loving stupid answers. I've always supporting skipping them entirely, unless you're just morbidly curious.
I don't take any sort of hardline 'don't watch the prequels' line, but I think this is a fair statement. The prequels really fly close to expanded universe material in a lot of ways.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Watch 'em all at once for efficiency.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHRsYiPVbE8

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Slugworth posted:

I don't take any sort of hardline 'don't watch the prequels' line, but I think this is a fair statement. The prequels really fly close to expanded universe material in a lot of ways.

The worst part was when they had to fight Daarth Mauul.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In hindsight, the best order is 4,5,6,7. Just skip on the prequels, did they really answer the itching questions you have from the original trilogy? Not really.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
only watch the prequels.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

EL BROMANCE posted:

In hindsight, the best order is 4,5,6,7. Just skip on the prequels, did they really answer the itching questions you have from the original trilogy? Not really.

Ruined all the itching questions I had.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Only watch The Force Awakens, the rest were made like a hundred years ago before Hollywood perfected the art of film.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lobok posted:

Ruined all the itching questions I had.

Me: the clone wars? Wow! That sounds super cool and awesome!
Lucas: lol no

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Watch the end of 3.

Although I guess you need to watch the rest of the prequels to really take satisfaction in watching Ani burn. :shrug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Me: the clone wars? Wow! That sounds super cool and awesome!
Lucas: lol no

The exact example I was thinking of.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

Watch the end of 3.

Although I guess you need to watch the rest of the prequels to really take satisfaction in watching Ani burn. :shrug:

The end of 3 still isn't any good, but it's funny because it's one of the most brutally violent and hosed-up things to happen in all of star wars.

It's like OH MY GOD OBIWAN JUST CUT OFF ALL OF ANAKINS LIMBS WITH A FLICK OF HIS LIGHTSABER! LIKE ALL OF THEM. HE'S JUST A TORSO WITH STUMPS NOW. WHAT THE gently caress. And then he just... leaves him there. And then OH MY GOD NOW ANAKIN'S LIMBLESS TORSO IS CATCHING ON FIRE!! AND HE'S SCREAMING IN AGONY!

Fuckin lol. Way to go Obiwan. What a dick.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jack Gladney posted:

Don't do any of that weird fan poo poo where they apologize for or make excuses for the prequels. Just watch them, but know that there's nothing wrong with getting tired of the prequels and stopping before the end of them. I've never seen Episode III all the way through and I've never had the desire. Christopher Lee basically being Dracula again is like the best thing about those movies, but even though I love him I've never seen Dracula 1972 all the way through either.

Your loss dude. AD 1972 is cool and Satanic Rites of Dracula is also cool, and has the number one coolest title.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's no point in watching TFA if you're not watching the prequels too. It's inferior to both trilogies by a healthy margin. Might as well just watch the OT and call it good.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hey I thought we were keeping crappy joke opinion posts to Blockbuster Video??

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

There's no point in watching TFA if you're not watching the prequels too. It's inferior to both trilogies by a healthy margin. Might as well just watch the OT and call it good.

It's a remake with some callbacks and features a couple actors from the original.

Decent sci-fi action romp.

I'd pay :10bux: to watch Rogue One or Empire on a big screen.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

syscall girl posted:

Well have I got good news for you.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

syscall girl posted:

It's a remake with some callbacks and features a couple actors from the original.

Decent sci-fi action romp.

It's completely non-essential to getting why Star Wars is such a big deal 40 years later and plays like second-rate fan-fiction, albeit with a huge budget and lots of stuff on the screen. Having seen it three times, I can only recommend it to someone who's doing The Complete Saga Experience.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

Well have I got good news for you.

Excuse me. I'm going to watch Rogue One in theater but would pay the same amount in popcorn tax to rewatch Han get frozen in carbonite.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Wow.

I can get saying it's worse than the original trilogy, but the second one?

The mind boggles.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Thank you for all the responses. I was talking with friends and my interest in finally watching the series sparked a discussion about whether I should watch sequentially, by release date, or using an alternate "machete cut." To be honest, I think the person telling me to watch sequentially was just curious about how I would react.

I know the prequels are supposed to be "bad" but I don't really know why. The responses here reaffirmed what I suspected, that I should watch by release date. If I enjoy the first three movies, I'll watch the other Star Wars movies.

Thank you so much, goons! I really appreciate the help. :)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, I forgot the most important feedback: Watch the oldest versions of the originals you can find.

I always forget this because I've only seen 1997 version once and never seen the newer ones with even more poo poo added.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's completely non-essential to getting why Star Wars is such a big deal 40 years later and plays like second-rate fan-fiction, albeit with a huge budget and lots of stuff on the screen. Having seen it three times, I can only recommend it to someone who's doing The Complete Saga Experience.

Nah

Snak posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot the most important feedback: Watch the oldest versions of the originals you can find.

I always forget this because I've only seen 1997 version once and never seen the newer ones with even more poo poo added.

Yeah, get the Despecialized editions if you want the best experience without lots of jarring 90s stuff mixed in the frame.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

To prep for TFA when it came out, my wife and I watched the Despecialized versions of 4 and 5, watched a fan edit of 2 and 3 that focused on the Anakin/Padme/Obi Wan plot and cut everything else, and then watched the Despecialized version of 6. I don't know if I'd recommend it for someone who has never seen the series before (other than the Despecialized part), but it certainly made for a more enjoyable rewatch experience than other times I've rewatched the series.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Even if this is kind of true, it's the face of things to come. So if you are interesting Star Wars as it is now, TFA is absolutely relevant to why it's such a big deal. The prequels really, really aren't. Before TFA came out, the prequels might have been relevant to what modern Star Wars was, but they aren't now.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Proper Star Wars episode order: 4-5-4-2-6-5-5-6-TFA-4-1-ACB:DL-3-2-1-Rogue One

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

I know the prequels are supposed to be "bad" but I don't really know why.

Thank you so much, goons! I really appreciate the help. :)

Anthropologically, if you want to understand the visceral reactions and blind rage toward the prequels you must think of the first three Star Wars films as if they were a religion put onto film. Now imagine if the progenitor of this religion showed up twenty years later with three more editions and revealed things that changed some of the tenets and dogma (OT vs. NT). Naturally, many aren't going to take too kindly to the NT. They may want to destroy the texts/media or at the very least never speak of them again.

Then you have VII which is currently seen as some kind of loving ode to the OT or something put out by a false prophet. Some might draw comparisons to The Book of Mormon.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Zogo posted:

Anthropologically, if you want to understand the visceral reactions and blind rage toward the prequels you must think of the first three Star Wars films as if they were a religion put onto film. Now imagine if the progenitor of this religion showed up twenty years later with three more editions and revealed things that changed some of the tenets and dogma (OT vs. NT). Naturally, many aren't going to take too kindly to the NT. They may want to destroy the texts/media or at the very least never speak of them again.

Then you have VII which is currently seen as some kind of loving ode to the OT or something put out by a false prophet. Some might draw comparisons to The Book of Mormon.

True in some cases, but I was never a believer, and as I wrote above, I dislike the prequels because they are loving terrible films. Absolutely awful dialogue and acting.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

therattle posted:

True in some cases, but I was never a believer, and as I wrote above, I dislike the prequels because they are loving terrible films. Absolutely awful dialogue and acting.

You take that back.

There's no loving acting in the prequels.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't get the thought out of my head that someone might watch the prequels first and not know why Ewan McGregor is speaking and moving that way and think that he must have had a brain injury right before filming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Proper Star Wars episode order: 4-5-Get Really Drunk/High-Christmas Special