Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Krycek posted:

Hot drat! Time to get paid bitches!

Time to be space-Trump!

e: We should all be be taking missions from the NON-controlling faction... right?

Apple Craft fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Apple Craft posted:

Time to be space-Trump!

e: We should all be be taking missions from the NON-controlling faction... right?

Nope, take them from JET BRIDGE. The other faction owns the little outpost on the planet.

e: only thing I'm struggling with right now is, on the planet, there seems to always be an actual ship landed there who will take off and try and gently caress you up.

If it's a F63 Condor or w/e, 3 missiles will kill him. If it's anything else, the options seem to be:
1. relog to spawn something else
2. strafe the skimmers and supercruise away, but this forces you to re-land
3. kill the skimmers and IMMEDIATELY relog. You have to wait 15s to actually log out but it seems to take the ship 15s to get his guns on you anyway.

Not sure if there's another option or some magic to augment that.

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 12, 2016

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Einbauschrank posted:

After unlocking the Jameson lass who offers lvl 4 lightweight life support I feel a little bit disappointed. My Beluga got a whopping 0.5ly increase in range for losing more than 40ts of life support. Is there any sense in LW LS? Is there a bigger leverage for the smaller ships, like an AspE or a DBX?

I think it is the mass ratio that matters, not so much the absolute mass. Shaving 40 tons off of something with an actual not garbage FSD would be a huge improvement. I think 40 tons would get me ~5-8 ly in my T7, if there was anywhere to shave that 40 off of.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Propagandist posted:

Nope, take them from JET BRIDGE. The other faction owns the little outpost on the planet.

e: only thing I'm struggling with right now is, on the planet, there seems to always be an actual ship landed there who will take off and try and gently caress you up.

If it's a F63 Condor or w/e, 3 missiles will kill him. If it's anything else, the options seem to be:
1. relog to spawn something else
2. strafe the skimmers and supercruise away, but this forces you to re-land
3. kill the skimmers and IMMEDIATELY relog. You have to wait 15s to actually log out but it seems to take the ship 15s to get his guns on you anyway.

Not sure if there's another option or some magic to augment that.

Everyone just combat logs, option 3

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
If you scoot in right behind and a little to either side its very rare it can spin and hit you in time. If you are real close to it it has to dodge you and it gives you more time. Hell you may be able to park above it and buy even more time.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Don't park right above it or it will ram you as it takes off. Park a little bit to the side.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
So if you can't buy missiles at the station, how are people restocking between runs?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think he's talking about the launcher.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Don't park right above it or it will ram you as it takes off. Park a little bit to the side.

There's a sweet spot where it takes at least 35 and sometimes 45+ seconds for the ship to take off, boost away (for some reason) and turn around.

Full pips to shields once you arrive, and combat log asap.

Also I've noticed that when you combat log after the ship has boosted off they are usually gone for the next few kill/log cycles, so really the defending ship is only a problem occasionally, if you are in the wrong spot, take too long, or don't have shields/pips.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

sethimothy posted:

Whad add-on allows him (and I assume anyone else using it) to track where they have been? That'd be fairly useful, actually.

You need to enable verbose logging, which then lets you see which systems you enter in the log files, and sites/tools like Inara will be able to parse them for you.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That ship was there last time I did 17Drac, I don't think it's new. I think it has to get away from the surface some or the ai freaks out from being too near the ground or whatever.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

FronzelNeekburm posted:

You need to enable verbose logging, which then lets you see which systems you enter in the log files, and sites/tools like Inara will be able to parse them for you.

I thought they were going to make this standard or give it a launcher button?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I use mines. Park directly over the skimmers, about 130m up. Drop mine and start logging off when it's about half to the surface. The mine will get all 6 skimmers, missiles only ever killed 3-4 per shot.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Krycek posted:

I use mines. Park directly over the skimmers, about 130m up. Drop mine and start logging off when it's about half to the surface. The mine will get all 6 skimmers, missiles only ever killed 3-4 per shot.

Missiles are still faster. You can launch two missiles within seconds and immediately start logging.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Krycek posted:

I've gotten all six skimmers with a single Class 2 dumbfire before. It's just not reliable.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

FronzelNeekburm posted:

You don't need to do that now, the game now writes an event journal which you can scrape tons of information out of.

The files are stored in:
code:
C:\Users\<User Name>\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\
Documentation here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=112608&d=1477509102

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

New to this and about 400ly away from 17 Draconis. Is there something specific that makes it better than other systems in the Civil War state?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

SteamyV posted:

New to this and about 400ly away from 17 Draconis. Is there something specific that makes it better than other systems in the Civil War state?

You can stack massacre missions and there is a surface base that spawns skimmers that count as mission kills. Kill 6 skimmers and re-log and the skimmers are back. You can complete all your missions in a few minutes and go back for more.

Other systems closer to the bubble offer a lot more missions of other varieties, making it more time consuming to stack massacre only missions. They also don't always have a surface base with skimmers that are owned by the faction that is at war.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SteamyV posted:

The way the system is set up, with exactly one planetary settlement owned by one of the warring factions, and one station owned by the other. The system is also pretty isolated, especially from anything else that might be owned by the two factions.

So you won't be directed out of the system, and the BGS will be heavily weighed in favour of the kinds of kill missions that it can construct in-system. This means you can land on the station, pick up as many missions as you'd like, and you are guaranteed to be able to complete them at that one settlement, and you can tank your standings completely with the settlement owners since you will never have to interact with them in any other way than by dropping mines or missiles on them.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.
Making an absolute killing on the 17 Draconis skimmer bombing. 50+ mil/hour easily. Now with some cash I can finally enjoy the game a little!

On an unrelated note, I made a Spotify playlist for Epic Space Times. Check it out here.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

Tippis posted:

The way the system is set up, with exactly one planetary settlement owned by one of the warring factions, and one station owned by the other. The system is also pretty isolated, especially from anything else that might be owned by the two factions.

So you won't be directed out of the system, and the BGS will be heavily weighed in favour of the kinds of kill missions that it can construct in-system. This means you can land on the station, pick up as many missions as you'd like, and you are guaranteed to be able to complete them at that one settlement, and you can tank your standings completely with the settlement owners since you will never have to interact with them in any other way than by dropping mines or missiles on them.

Is this the sort of mission thing I can do in a ship like a Cobra Mk III or is it only for people flying something larger? Because if my current ship can handle it I'm gonna go give it a shot, I don't care how far away from where I'm currently at (Somewhere near Cubio I'm sure).

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

sethimothy posted:

Is this the sort of mission thing I can do in a ship like a Cobra Mk III or is it only for people flying something larger? Because if my current ship can handle it I'm gonna go give it a shot, I don't care how far away from where I'm currently at (Somewhere near Cubio I'm sure).

I did it in an adder. But I suicide back to the station.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 12, 2016

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.

sethimothy posted:

Any ship can do it but ideal is Cobra or Viper.

Mouko fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 12, 2016

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I bought the viper from the station and brought my own missile racks. Note that it's faster to suicide after you complete your mission stack than it is to fly back to the station. Also jumping out and back into the system will save you a bit of time as well since it puts you closer to the planet the base is on.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Also it's pretty trivial to maintain good relations via donation missions.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Only 75 jumps away to 17 Draconis! Let's hope I don't regret this at all, lol. Kind of wonder if I'd be smarter stepping out of my current ship, grabbing a Sidewinder and going that route. Guess we'll see~

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

75 jumps? Jesus, get something with more than 5 ly range.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

LostCosmonaut posted:

In case people don't realize it, what you can do, if you have a ship more capable of travel, is use your travel ship to get there and then do the ship transfer thing from the shipyard to bring a sidewinder or viper outfitted for this out there. Only takes about an hour to do the transfer from the bubble. One of the few times I've actually found a use for that thing.

And, as other people have said, if you're using a cheap ship to do the missions, just suicide back after you've completed the missions to save yourself having to fly the 9k or whatever back to the station.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
This game you guys are talking about playing sounds awesome as all heck!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

KakerMix posted:

This game you guys are talking about playing sounds awesome as all heck!

The "quick, hump the hell out of this money pot before it gets nerfed/system reverts out of civil war" game?

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

LostCosmonaut posted:

It's like 600-odd ly away from me and I'm in a Mark III so yeah, 75 jumps. :/

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Please make sure you're using fastest route and not economy plotting :ohdear:

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Natsuumi posted:

Please make sure you're using fastest route and not economy plotting :ohdear:

Looks like I'll be getting there a little quicker, hahaha.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I am so utterly bad at this game, lol.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

So I found a planet that didn't have listed "First discovered by CMDR FucksaLot" or whatever. No attribute at all. So I flew in close and scanned it. Do I have to do more to get credit outside of turning this information in to the cartographer?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

The money is nice. But even better are the 5% REP increments towards Rear Admiral.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

sethimothy posted:

So I found a planet that didn't have listed "First discovered by CMDR FucksaLot" or whatever. No attribute at all. So I flew in close and scanned it. Do I have to do more to get credit outside of turning this information in to the cartographer?

Nope. As long as no one beats you to the punch as far as getting back to civilisation, it's yours.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
rumor mill is now predicting surprise walking-in-ships for 2.4 :angel:

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

http://yourock.fyi/image/firsttodiscover.jpg

(timg bbcode doesn't like this image and it's a fullsized screenshot so I'm not just gonna post it so raw link it is!)

Such a small thing, but I'll be honest, finding something in this universe is something I've wanted to do since I first picked up the game and the fact I pretty much tripped, fell, and landed on it (especially in the middle of a place it looked like someone had otherwise picked clean) is a big deal for me. So thanks for encouraging me to come out this way. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

rumor mill is now predicting surprise walking-in-ships for 2.4 :angel:

Well considering we've had 2.0 for a year and we're on 2.2 now that would mean walking around in approximately 1-2 years.

Seems plausible if they import the Planet Coaster tech. The next question nobody is asking is: then what do we do apart from stare at our space toilets?

• Locked thread