Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

I've been watching a lot of movies lately and I have a few that have just awful endings. Most specifically:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The weird kid turns out to be destroying the city and that guy with the jugend haircut is actually a villian. Also everyone gets their mind erased by some magic potion that gets put into a raincloud somehow and the city is magically rebuilt.

I am Legend: Typical action movie ending with a lot of violence. Bad because the original ending had a thought provoking twist where the zombies were actually quite intelligent and Will Smith is basically the bad guy. Would have been a much better movie with this ending

What movies let you down goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
High Tension had the worst ending of any movie I've ever seen in my entire life.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Next starring Nicholas Cage had a terrible ending. They basically just reset to the start of the movie and called it the end

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

High Tension had the worst ending of any movie I've ever seen in my entire life.

unironically this, legit made me mad when i saw it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Ehh, Fantastic Beasts was a terrible movie, so even having a dumb ending wasn't a surprise given the whole movie was dumb and bad.

High Tension & I am Legend probably takes the cake there for some of the worst though, especially HT. I dont think anything will top that

I'd also say Sunshine was a cool movie with a lovely ending

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this ending is the beginning to a much better movie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhfCKDl3tuw

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I watched Gone Girl a couple of months ago. Its pretty much Laci Peterson slash fiction.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
also really lovely opinion time: No Country for Old Men. The ending was actually very good+well done and i get what they were doing, but on a personal level it was unsatisfying to me since I wanted more as I was enjoying it a lot until then

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Matthew McConaughey screaming "Murph MURPH MURPH MURRRRPH MUUUUUURPH" for ten straight minutes

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I came here to post about I am Legend but OP beat me. They released a version with an ending lazily ripped off from Signs, where Will Smith sees a butterfly and realises it is all part of god's plan, except unlike Signs Will Smith having lost faith was not established as a theme at all. There is a directors cut ending closer to the original where Will Smith has successfully cured the disease of the monster he kidnapped, but as they are attacking him he realises they are intelligent and just want their kidnapped member back. He communicates with them by acting like them, readministers the infection to the one he had cured, and the humans and monsters go their separate ways.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Prometheus turn right

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The Lobster had a very unsatisfying ending. I "get it" and I do like the concept, but they spent way too much time building up to nothing.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Monty Python and Holy Grail.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Cube. I know it's all about the situation and all that crap, but I want to know what came next!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

PotatoManJack posted:

Next starring Nicholas Cage had a terrible ending. They basically just reset to the start of the movie and called it the end

At least we got this out it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The Descent. Both theatrical and DVD release endings were very unsatisfying following a pretty good movie.

In general I hate alternate endings. I feel the same way about 1408 for example. Just make up your mind and pick one, don't try and satisfy everybody.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The Descent. Both theatrical and DVD release endings were very unsatisfying following a pretty good movie.

In general I hate alternate endings. I feel the same way about 1408 for example. Just make up your mind and pick one, don't try and satisfy everybody.

I thought the Descent 2 had kind of a bullshit ending myself. Not as good as the first movie, but still not bad for a lower budget horror film, the ending to 2 just seemed like it was done for shock value

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
This is the worst one:

In Beyond the Black Rainbow, our heroine is desperately running to escape the twisted killer, and as he's chasing her he trips and hits his head on a rock and dies. The end.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
The Black Hole. So the good guys go through the black hole and come out...where? How are they expected to survive out in deep space when they have no idea where they are with limited resources? Also, what the gently caress is up with Reinhardt's "descent into hell"? This is loving Disney movie. Stop trying to be Kubrick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFv9ZRAqG1s

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Zorodius posted:

This is the worst one:

In Beyond the Black Rainbow, our heroine is desperately running to escape the twisted killer, and as he's chasing her he trips and hits his head on a rock and dies. The end.

That whole movie was loony as gently caress but kind of neat.

As Above So Below should've ended with the main girl stepping out into hell instead of safely in Paris again. She was invincible from getting the philosophers stone or whatever it was, so she'd be free to explore the wacky poo poo in hell without any danger. That movie was kind of cool except for the wet fart ending.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Straight White Shark posted:

The Lobster had a very unsatisfying ending. I "get it" and I do like the concept, but they spent way too much time building up to nothing.

tbh it looked like they had a good idea & failed to really flesh it out

It was pretty & I really liked the slow progression, but it seemed like a dark ending for what was a very happy story

i do NOT like BBQ
Jun 2, 2008

Agreed, that movie had a lot of potential and was only okay.

I thought the ending to The Babadook was a real let down. Felt like it was building to be a psychological thing, and they threw that away for a gimmick. Hit the same disappointing notes that Dark Water did.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ending for Full Metal Jacket is crapola.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Hannibal, hands down.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Rollergator ends with the promise of another Rollergator movie.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
The Orphanage had a really great ending but then it carried on and it turned out the real ending was absolutely poo poo and retrospectively ruined the whole movie.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The Abyss. Hokey!

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I'm still trying to figure out the ending of The Departed, when Costigan suddenly becomes an incredible dipshit

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Well can you explain it? Cuz, I didn't.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I loved Whiplash, don't get me wrong, but JK Simmons and Miles Teller suddenly have a good relationship again because he played an awesome drum solo?
That suddenly fixes JK Simmons being a huge dick to his students and Miles Teller getting him fired?

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I think blowing up the space colony in Elysium would have been a better ending than the goody goody everybody gets free healthcare thing they chose,
It would have been a good " if I'm going to hell I'm taking you with me" moment.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Let's talk about The Mist for several pages

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I thought of another one: Men in Black 2. The movie preceding the ending was pretty unsatisfying too, but the goofy as hell "it rains because you're sad" or whatever it was line and the part with the locker took it to another level of bad.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Professor Shark posted:

How it doesn't belong in this thread because it's an extremely satisfying ending?

Also, on topic, Star Wars VII. Yes I know it's the first in a trilogy, but if you look at the other six loving films you find they at least have endings and relatively self-contained stories instead of an ending that just dumps you back with an old character and you still know gently caress and all about anything going on in the universe beyond like, 4 planets.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wicker Man posted:

Cube. I know it's all about the situation and all that crap, but I want to know what came next!

Cube 2.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Professor Shark posted:

I think you are looking for unsatisfying short story ending thread friend

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Super Mario Bros. ends with the promise of another Super Mario Bros. movie.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Neon Demon felt like it just kind of fell off the rails. Unsuccessful metaphor/symbolism, imo. Maybe I should pay closer attention.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

KiteAuraan posted:

How it doesn't belong in this thread because it's an extremely satisfying ending?

Also, on topic, Star Wars VII. Yes I know it's the first in a trilogy, but if you look at the other six loving films you find they at least have endings and relatively self-contained stories instead of an ending that just dumps you back with an old character and you still know gently caress and all about anything going on in the universe beyond like, 4 planets.

That's because the movie actually ends about 90 seconds earlier, but if Mark Hamill didn't appear in the movie at all they would have lost millions.

Just think of the last scene as a trailer for Episode VIII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Hero was an awesome kung fu movie up until the end, where I guess the writers just gave up, and then Pontius Pilate shows up, and he's like "shouldn't we let jesus go?" but the crowd is like "no way crucify him, crucify him" And then they execute nameless jesus, and he doesn't rise from the dead in 3 days.

• Locked thread