Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The bleeps for Talow's nickname are making it sound like we're now reading "The Commander's Field Manual to Unnecessary Censorship".

Also, the Kill Zone setup was just beautiful.

E: Update on the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Is it going to be a different censor noise for Talow in every mission or is it always gonna be a loud-rear end beep?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

If you plan on bleeping ***'s name in the future, I hope you find a tone that's a bit less harsh on the ears.

I still tend to prefer snipers over gunslingers, but I've never managed to get a killzone to go so perfectly. Killzone can be useful (and when it is, it can be devastating as you've demonstrated), but Face Off tends to be useful much more often, especially with elemental ammo.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting that bit of editting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Elth posted:

If you plan on bleeping ***'s name in the future, I hope you find a tone that's a bit less harsh on the ears.

https://youtu.be/h8CQGvjAaeM?t=32s

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Attagirl, Alessandra. I've never liked gunslingers, and this mission demonstrates why I adore snipers even in XCOM 2.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Good to see you're finally done with Vahlen's unexpected troubles.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jade Star posted:

And lastly, let it be shown and proven that Killzone is the correct and best choice for marksmen.

Killzone is an okay skill and a bad sniper skill. It's better on literally any other class.

Guava was right. :canada:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Elth posted:

This one and this are my personal favorites for oddball bleeps.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
Jades Sniper rifle had like 7 shots thats practically cheating, I loved the fact he had one round left after all that enough to get a death from above and a free reload, the cheating whore.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Was that a golden skyranger? Did Bradford pimp out the skyranger?

And while that was a hell of a Kill Zone, I've never been able to pull something like that together. I mainly just used it for the opening shots of an ambush.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Elth posted:

Nah, that'd get old fast. Surprised people thought it was too loud, ran it over a few times in audacity and muted it pretty low/

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jade Star posted:

Nah, that'd get old fast. Surprised people thought it was too loud, ran it over a few times in audacity and muted it pretty low/

Different people have different hearing issues, and stuff at that range can sound incredibly piercing to some.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So uh what was that weird naked person in that tomb/tank thing?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Abducted people.
What, you didn't think the aliens stopped doing that when they won did you?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Elth posted:

Agreed. It's especially jarring when listening with headphones. :(

Great update though. As always, thanks so much for your hard work.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Different people have different hearing issues, and stuff at that range can sound incredibly piercing to some.

Yeah. This. 100% This.

On another note, congratulations on using Shadowstrike Jade.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Teddybear posted:

Is it going to be a different censor noise for Talow in every mission or is it always gonna be a loud-rear end beep?

Tallow isn't actually in concealment he's just blurred out because he's censored.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
I've just watched Spectral on Netflix and it has some nice XCOM vibes. Anyway good episode, Alien facility missions rarely go that well for me.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Jenner posted:

Tallow isn't actually in concealment he's just blurred out because he's censored.

If it wouldnt take so much effort, I'd just run a mosaic blur filter over Talow the entire next mission he's on.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
That would in fact be easier than you think, since the name is only in one spot during missions, you just copy paste the effect after the setting is done. It would get annoying if you scrolled through the barracks though.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I meant him, the soldier, in the field, during a mission. I am sure that would take a lot of time and effort.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Could a mod do that?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Jade Star posted:

I meant him, the soldier, in the field, during a mission. I am sure that would take a lot of time and effort.

How about just as a quick gag on the loadout screen, before you cut to the final, Tallow-free lineup?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Jade Star posted:

As Guava made mention of during the video, it is possible to complete these missions in a purely stealthy way. Combat is not required to win the mission. All that needs to be done is to plant the explosive charge and get out. It is possible to do that while never breaking concealment. It's very hard to do, but it is possible
I'd like to see the attempt!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Killzone is the greatest skill in the game, never not take it.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do Killzone and Ruler Reactions interact? Do you get a shot on each action if they're in the cone?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Chuu posted:

How do Killzone and Ruler Reactions interact? Do you get a shot on each action if they're in the cone?

Killzone is defined as one shot per target, so I'd think it was just one shot the first time they move.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Anaxite posted:

Could a mod do that?

Could you just apply the codex effect to him like the Codex Ranger mod?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Thought y'all might be happy to see the return of the slo-mo bullshit cam: (not my game)

https://gfycat.com/PleasingGiddyBlackbuck

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

seaborgium posted:

Killzone is defined as one shot per target, so I'd think it was just one shot the first time they move.

I dunno. This says it works on every enemy action during the turn. :shrug:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

seaborgium posted:

In the very video we are talking about a single killzone took 2 shots at that sectoid (the first one missed). So it can definitely target the same thing more than once but I think that just means it can only target it once per action for that unit.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Garrand posted:

In the very video we are talking about a single killzone took 2 shots at that sectoid (the first one missed). So it can definitely target the same thing more than once but I think that just means it can only target it once per action for that unit.

The second shot on the sectoid was in a different turn though, so I figured that was how that one happened. It counting each ruler action as a new turn would make sense though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

seaborgium posted:

The second shot on the sectoid was in a different turn though, so I figured that was how that one happened. It counting each ruler action as a new turn would make sense though.

Sounds like it's time for X-Com to react back!

Killzone and Fan Fire both require setup.

And having an extended magazine of some sort is fairly common/easy. Maybe not a +3 one like Jade had but even without it's 4 Sniper shots.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation True Roman Fire

I have no words for this mission. My words have failed me.

We saw the arrival and sudden unexpected death of the final Alien Ruler, the Archon King. The Archon King is notable for a few reasons and largely considered a bit too much on the heaping of alien ruler BS that the DLC serves up. On the defensive side of things the King starts well armored, meaning the first thing that is needed is to shred his armor so you can even begin to start chipping away at his mountain of of 120 HP. Explosions are your friend as usual and more so in the case of the King as he sports a pretty nasty innate defense bonus. Simply dealing enough damage to the Archon King to kill it is usually a three mission task. On the offensive side of things the Archon King has 4 methods of attack. Two standard attacks just like the regular Archons, melee and a ranged shot. Those are fairly easy to deal with and not at all the problem with the King. The first special attack the King has is a two part attack. He will grab and lift a soldier into the air where you have one action to deal damage tot he King to make him drop the soldier, which is somehow a harmless drop from like 30ft up. If you do not injure the King he will choke slam the soldier to the ground for significant damage and the high chances of inflicting Stun or Unconscious on the soldier. The second special attack is similar to the regular archons, the King will fly up and designate 4 targets with red beams of light. After one action missiles will rain from the sky on those targets causing minor damage per individual missile, but all missiles have high odds of inflicting Stun or Unconscious. The real threat of the Archon King isn't super lethality in a single attack but rather the multiple ways the King can disrupt your team and disable several of them while continuing to fight while you are short handed. On a second or third confrontation the King is usually flanked by 2 regular archons, adding to your problems and the potental for incoming damage every turn. Combined with his huge defenses this can easily make him the hardest thing to fight in the whole game.

By now I think we were all familiar with the sudden break in normal turn order that Rulers brought with them. It goes from turn based to 'I go, you go' where they react for ever single action you take. What people might not know is that Rulers will still react to you if you end your turn with unspent actions. Now this is safe to do when they are frozen as I did so in the video, but do it again when they aren't frozen and suddenly they will take your entire turns worth of unused actions and act on them at once. For example what I did was end my turn after the first missed shot leaving 5 soldiers with full action points left doing nothing. The Archon King sees that and then takes 5 actions of its own. Which is devastating. Don't do that. Sadly you can't end your turn early just to cut down on the number of wasted actions you take.

Ciaphus Cain, Hero of the Imperium, and repeaters. I covered weapon mods way early in the LP but let's take an extra moment to talk about them after what just happened. Cain has been using a basic repeater since about as early as I could mount weapon mods. Repeaters come in three tiers like everything else and give a 5/10/15% chance of instantly killing a target on a hit. When the trigger and murder something it's great, but they can be unreliable. When then go off is a mystery and unpredictable meaning it could be wasted. As an example, imagine you're shooting at a weakened alien, some sectoid that already took a hit from someone else is sitting at 4hp. You shoot at it and the repeater activates killing it instantly. Hurray you might think for a moment, before realizing that a hit from your gun would have done 4 or more damage anyway. In that case the repeaters effect is wasted. There is of course the exact opposite situation too. As example, imagine setting up a overwatch trap to ambush the first pod of the map or anything else that hasn't been engaged yet. Something big and scary like a sectopod or Archon comes into view and then suddenly Bam! The big scary thing is instantly killed. Your repeater just saved you maybe 3+ actions trying to kill an alien. It's super useful in that case! However if you look at these two examples you can see the wide disparity between circumstances when a repeater might choose to activate. It might be a huge plus to kill a big bad right away, or it might be completely inconsequential as the shot was destined to kill its target anyway with out help from the repeated. It comes down to a players choice how they want to prioritize repeaters. The risk and reward of repeaters can be high, but the reliability of other mods like stocks or free reloads is a certainty you can count on every time.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 16, 2016

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
So many failed words.

On archons though, their crazy high defense, especially when very high up can make them a good target for psi-ops in many ways. But, they'll usually show up before.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
E.X.O. Suit - EXoskeletal Operations Suit
W.A.R. Suit - heavy Weaponry Assault Rig ... Suit
R.A.G.E. Suit - Rapid Assault to Grapple and Eviscerate Suit

Best I got at 4am.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

What. the. actual. gently caress. what. just. what. what.

... I have no words. my words have failed me.

HA! COUNTER-BULLSHIT!

Talow fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 13, 2016

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
Some time Xcom Xcoms its self, its good to see the bullshit can happen both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

guava's canadian viper voice is really good

• Locked thread