Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Rurutia posted:

Huh, I've never had issue grabbing it. I feel like the AI realllly prioritizes Stonehenge and Pyramids.

Navy has been pretty useless for me in this game in comparison to other military.

Honestly, I don't play that close attention, but it feels like if Scythia spawns in my game they're building it the moment they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I do so enjoy it when the AI will settle s city on a spot that moves two or three of your troops. They then complain THE SAME TURN that you have troops on their borders. :allears:

I also like how the proud tradition of a completely baffling unit turn order is still in place. But now they've upped their game such that for a moment the info box will imply you're about to order the unit that DOES make sense and then WOOSH off to the other side of the globe! Just kidding! Hope you didn't hit F or something!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
By the way is there some sort of weighting for some civs over others? I've only played like four or five games but EVERY ONE has had Russia and Brazil has foes.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Finally the AI really needs tweaking with the religious poo poo.

I was playing on the snowflake map, killed off the Japanese on the arm opposite me. I founded a city on the arm and literally two turns later Russia has four loving missionaries charging across the entire map, through my territory to convert it.

Jesus Christ it's so annoying.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fister Roboto posted:

It's a teeny tiny little bar that almost completely blends in with the UI. I had no idea it existed until it was pointed out to me.

Same here. Another experience-related thing: If you're eligible for a promotion, you gain no new experience until you take the promotion.

The experience bar is also weird, because it doesn't empty out after you get a promotion -- it shrinks the length of the "you've gathered this" segment, so you're continually chasing something that keeps moving away from you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

prefect posted:

Same here. Another experience-related thing: If you're eligible for a promotion, you gain no new experience until you take the promotion.

Jesus Christ.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
In one of my games it also prevented a Great General promotion active effect from triggering. Still consumed the General though!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

prefect posted:

The experience bar is also weird, because it doesn't empty out after you get a promotion -- it shrinks the length of the "you've gathered this" segment, so you're continually chasing something that keeps moving away from you.
I think that first thing is actually for balance. You can save a promotion for the healing effect at a strategic moment, but doing so costs you XP.

The second thing is actually how it was in Civ IV, though there wasn't actually a bar. It would say 2/2 XP, and when you would promote the unit it would change to like 2/5 XP. Not sure if it was different in V, honestly don't remember how it was, and I don't think XP was even really a thing before IV.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Magil Zeal posted:

The second thing is actually how it was in Civ IV, though there wasn't actually a bar. It would say 2/2 XP, and when you would promote the unit it would change to like 2/5 XP. Not sure if it was different in V, honestly don't remember how it was, and I don't think XP was even really a thing before IV.

Civ5 behaves this way, too.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Rurutia posted:

Huh, I've never had issue grabbing it. I feel like the AI realllly prioritizes Stonehenge and Pyramids.

Navy has been pretty useless for me in this game in comparison to other military.

The naval game could use a bit of a shake up, such as range increases for the sea units or something. There is much less incentive to put a city directly on the coast in this game, largely because of the harbour district, and this had the unintended side effect of rendering navies much less useful.

In Civ V I probably did more conquering via sea than anything else. This time it's the opposite, to the extent I sometimes don't even build more than like 2/3 ships for exploring/capital defence.

G-Spot Run posted:

In one of my games it also prevented a Great General promotion active effect from triggering. Still consumed the General though!

I popped two admirals on a single battleship in one turn and got both promotions...?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I popped two generals and only got 1 promotion, I had to reload and use the second in the next turn. Not sure if was before or after the patch though.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The Deleter posted:

I'm late to this but this cheered up my crappy day, thanks man. :)
Really I just want an updated Slamba Yetu. Is that so much to ask?

Niwrad posted:

Are you all building wonders much? Feels like the value of them is not worth all the production needed for it. There are a couple worthwhile and a couple if your Civ is setup in an opportune spot. But otherwise they just don't seem to be worth it unless I'm wrong on the value they provide.

Also do they usually add more wonders in the expansions? I want more wonders and more leaders. In fact, I want to be able to choose between different leaders for a particular Civ.
New civs are a guarantee, probably both in DLC and expansions. Alternate leaders (see Pericles/Gorgo) are almost certainly going to be a thing in VI cause of the increased separation of civ/leader. I think they could have done it in V but didn't for whatever reason. I'd expect most civs to have 2 leaders eventually, minus like, Scythia.

I really hope the first expansion adds more of...everything. More techs (tree feels bare), more wonders (so many missing), more units (not enough granularity), more buildings even (I want like 6+ things to build in a district, not just 3 over the course of a game).

Wonders do range a ton in usefulness. I try to get the +policy card ones whenever I have a chance, Petra is of course good as always, and there are a couple more decent ones. Most are either too restrictive to build (Mahabodhi), underwhelming (Great Library), or both.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gort posted:

I mean, you could see that as the Aztecs being broken, or you could say that researching technology and civics making your districts more expensive is loving stupid.

That was an extreme case, but it's also very OP for rushing a Spaceport late-game and for rushing districts in the early-mid game, when even 12 turns to build a district is a big investment. Especially on the latter when you can still capture workers hand over fist with their UU.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Gort posted:

I mean, you could see that as the Aztecs being broken, or you could say that researching technology and civics making your districts more expensive is loving stupid.

It would be less stupid if building things in the industrial area didn't give you the EXACT SAME THING as building it in the classical era.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Just to give some numbers, the cost of a district increases 1000% over the course of a game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gort posted:

Just to give some numbers, the cost of a district increases 1000% over the course of a game.

It really is the dumbest thing. Beside the UI I mean.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Alkydere posted:

It really is the dumbest thing. Beside the UI I mean.

And the AI's utter inability to take cities once they have walls.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
What is a better, more enjoyable game right now, Civ VI, or Civ V with all expansions and the Vox Populi mod?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

SlyFrog posted:

What is a better, more enjoyable game right now, Civ VI, or Civ V with all expansions and the Vox Populi mod?

Probably Civ 5 until they iron out 6's many many kinks.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Civ 6 is better.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

Failboattootoot posted:

Civ 6 is better.

So many hours of my life down the drain. #worththo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It depends what you're looking for in the game.

#controversialappealtosubjectivity

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The thing that kills Civ 6 for me is that in the mid-game and beyond, the AI is utterly unable to conquer a city. It just takes all the interest out of the game for me.

Civ 5's AI wasn't exactly good at that, but at least it could do it at all!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Went for a religious victory the other day for the first time and won. Played as Arabia so it was a bit easy. Had more fun than I thought I would doing it. Tithe is the best belief. Is there a point in converting city-states outside of just getting more followers?

They need to make religious units more powerful but also cost more faith. Too much micromanaging at the moment.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Feed the World and Religious Community are both quite good as well. Saves you space in building bullshit around the cities

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Niwrad posted:

Went for a religious victory the other day for the first time and won. Played as Arabia so it was a bit easy. Had more fun than I thought I would doing it. Tithe is the best belief. Is there a point in converting city-states outside of just getting more followers?

They need to make religious units more powerful but also cost more faith. Too much micromanaging at the moment.

Suzerain of Yerevan lets you pick the upgrade for apostles, which is an instant game breaking religious win. Valletta is also really useful if you are religion focused.

If you are converting city states, Papal Primacy is surprisingly good: city states bonuses are 50% more powerful if the city state follows your religion. Monastic Isolation can help if you are fighting a unit spammer (india, japan, spain, etc), as it prevents the minus effects of losses.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

Suzerain of Yerevan lets you pick the upgrade for apostles, which is an instant game breaking religious win. Valletta is also really useful if you are religion focused.

If you are converting city states, Papal Primacy is surprisingly good: city states bonuses are 50% more powerful if the city state follows your religion. Monastic Isolation can help if you are fighting a unit spammer (india, japan, spain, etc), as it prevents the minus effects of losses.

The only religious city-state on the map was Kandy in my game and their bonus sucks.

Toronto is still my favorite city-state bonus in the game although I usually find them last on the map.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

tfw when you start a game as Pericles

And your second goody hut is a Holy Relic
And your five closest neighbors are city-states
And you hit a Great Prophet for Reliquaries
And it turns out you have an entire continent to yourself with enough room to build a dozen cites with Acropolises to your heart's content
And you get the Oracle
And it turns out there's a strait between your content and the next one so you're still not completely isolated

Now if only the AI could actually use an army this game would be more entertaining.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 13, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Why build an army when I can just spam missionaries and condemn you for a war you waged 2 millennia ago?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

JetsGuy posted:

Why build an army when I can just spam missionaries and condemn you for a war you waged 2 millennia ago?

Because that encourages me to break out of my current happy place of building an empire and wage a ware this millennia.

At which point I'm reminded the AI's ability to wage war is beyond comically bad and I get sad.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

Do both - conquer your enemies and convert them at the same time.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Crazy Ted posted:

Philip II alt spotted

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Crazy Ted posted:

I guess it was a bad joke but I was pretending to be the civ6 AI

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

JetsGuy posted:

I guess it was a bad joke but I was pretending to be the civ6 AI

I thought you did a great job. Sadly, now I am going to have to take your capital with two units of infantry and a battering ram that I still have for some reason.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Word on the street is that there's going to be another patch within 7 days.

You didn't hear it from me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe they'll let the intern have a crack at the AI this time around!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just want them to fix the drat next turn crash before they do anything else. I had to stop playing weeks ago because of it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Internet Explorer posted:

Maybe they'll let the intern have a crack at the AI this time around!

*googles "good ai"*

*copies and pastes search results list directly into code base*

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Siege towers are useful for way longer than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

My dad plays a lot of Civ 5, but hasn't bought Civ 6 yet because "they always gently caress it up and it takes a year for them to patch it and make it playable"

Anyway, I want to know if I should buy this for him for Christmas or just get him an Amazon gift card or something