Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bodyholes posted:

The budget audiophile lifehack!

I've had a couple months to compare Status Audio CB-1s and Phillips SHP9500s, and I've slowly improved my sources and software to power them during that time.

The CB-1s have been getting some praise recently but they were a bit of a risk when I bought them (it was well before the Z-review), and they still aren't heavily vetted. No Head-fi review, no Innerfidelity review. They are an interesting alternative to M40s though, partly because they're cheaper and partly because they come with great pads out of the box. If anyone's curious how the sound compares to the Phillips, I can offer some insight.

Holy poo poo how have I never seen those Status before?
They look like a serious studio workhorse. Super comfy.

I might have to get a pair just because. I recommended them to a drummer friend of mine who was looking at getting ath-m40x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I grabbed a set of Senn 598C's for a $100 on Black Friday. I gave them to the other half as an earlier Christmas present and I can report she loves them.

I find my AKG k712's more comfy but the 598s are quite nice, especially for $100.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Bodyholes posted:

The budget audiophile lifehack!

I've had a couple months to compare Status Audio CB-1s and Phillips SHP9500s, and I've slowly improved my sources and software to power them during that time.

The CB-1s have been getting some praise recently but they were a bit of a risk when I bought them (it was well before the Z-review), and they still aren't heavily vetted. No Head-fi review, no Innerfidelity review. They are an interesting alternative to M40s though, partly because they're cheaper and partly because they come with great pads out of the box. If anyone's curious how the sound compares to the Phillips, I can offer some insight.

drat, I remember seeing those headphones months ago and just dismissed them as nice looking, cheap but probably bad. It would've been nice to pick them up as Christmas gifts for some people, but probably too late for that now shipped to Canada.

Do you have any other closed headphones to compare them to? Comparing them to the SHP's wouldn't really make too much sense.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Hmm... well I definitely prefer them to the MDR 7506s, they seem more laid back, not a huge fan of Sony treble imo. I prefer them to the HD280s as well which have very clinical sounding bass, to my ears. They're also vastly more comfortable than 280s. Haven't tried M40s or M50s unfortunately. I know plenty people that have M50s so I'll test that out at some point.

Some of the tradeoffs with the SHP9500s are the typical open/closed ones you'd expect. Better bass, worse soundstage. I want to say the CB-1s are slightly warmer, but that's not a hard set rule actually. Different DACs cause one or the other to be brighter in treble, which is really weird. My FiiO e10k likes the SHPs more, my Uduoo XD-05 likes the CB-1s more. It's tough to tell. And I'm still finding better software tweaks over time, which completely changes the sound I get each time.... it's a learning process I guess. :shrug:

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 9, 2016

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
Dr. Fishopolis and others with the Fostex T50s: do you have any issues with a poor connection causing the right side to cut out? I'm not sure if it's the connector at the headphone or the cable but I frequently have to give mine a bit of a twist to get things proper.

I bought mine from https://www.zmfheadphones.com and he shipped me a new cable to try. The problem is he shipped me a 1/4" to dual XLR4 cable. My headphones of course need a 1/4" to 1/8" cable. I'm going to try the stock 1/8" to 1/8" cable when I can get an adaptor for my amp. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what I'd like to do. I could just live with it, solder the connections, or mod it to use XLR4 connectors. I really don't feel like putting any effort into this though, even though I really like these headphones.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Melraidin posted:

Dr. Fishopolis and others with the Fostex T50s: do you have any issues with a poor connection causing the right side to cut out? I'm not sure if it's the connector at the headphone or the cable but I frequently have to give mine a bit of a twist to get things proper.

The stock cable is garbage. The best cable is this: https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Extended-Audio-Cable-Grey/dp/B00MYTR7NI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481440874&sr=8-1&keywords=vmoda+cable

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

Problem is that my amp has a 1/4" input. I'm fine with dropping an adaptor on there but would like to confirm the cable's the issue. Is the stock orange 1/8" to 1/8" cable just as crappy as the 1/4" to 1/8"?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Melraidin posted:

Problem is that my amp has a 1/4" input. I'm fine with dropping an adaptor on there but would like to confirm the cable's the issue. Is the stock orange 1/8" to 1/8" cable just as crappy as the 1/4" to 1/8"?

Yes. The problem is the locking mechanism, it's plastic and gets loose and fiddly. The Vmoda cable solves that problem. Also, you should get an adapter because how do you not already have a drawer full of the drat things? Maybe it's because I'm in my 30s, but I swear I've somehow accumulated hundreds of them over the course of my life.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
Oh, I have plenty! Where they are, that's the mystery :/

I guess I'm surprised to hear it's the locking mechanism? Like with my cable I can twist the connection so it's unlocked and find a good connection, or sometimes with it fully locked it'll be a good connection. If the locking mechanism were the cause shouldn't it be somewhat consistent when I get a good connection? Either way, so you're saying using a cable without the locking mechanism will resolve the issue?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
The closed backed Sennheiser 598c is on Amazon (lightening deal) for <$100 right now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JP436TS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
My headphones are dying/falling apart. Please help me pick a new pair!

Budget - $150-$300
Source – Bose Companion 5 computer speakers, my (Android) cell phone, an old CRT TV.
Isolation Requirements – Very important. I want the best isolation possible in this price range without resorting to IEMs.
Preferred Type of Headphone – Closed Full Size, Supa-Aurals greatly preferred. If these were for home use only, I’d probably be interested in Circumaurals, but I’ll be using these on my commute as well as at home. Nothing wireless!
Preferred Tonal Balance – Slight preference for neutral balance, but I’m pretty open here.
Past Headphones – I’ve been using Bose QC 15s for years. I’m now aware that noise cancellation is considered a gimmick, but I got them before reading this post. Please go easy on me…
Preferred Music – I’m a rhythm game geek and will using these for Bemani games like IIDX and Pop’n Music. I’ll also use them while watching TV shows and playing PS Vita on my commute.

Other: I’m looking something with removable cables, and hope to find something with an 8-10 foot cord. If no headphones come with cords of that length in the box, is it practical to find a longer generic cable and/or any necessary adapters without lowering the overall quality of the product?

The models I’m considering atm are listed below. Some of these are a bit old, so info on newer versions or others not listed here are very welcome.

--Beyerdynamic DT1350: These don’t appear to have a removable cable, but it looks like a good choice if the cable could be extended somehow.
-- Shure SRH940
--Thinksound On1
--V-Moda M-100

Thanks in advance for any advice!

hepcat fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 15, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Welp, ordered some akg k712 pros.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

hepcat posted:

My headphones are dying/falling apart. Please help me pick a new pair!
- Shure SRH940

Don't get those unless you're planning on changing the whole headband and hinges. Although they sound great for the money, they are definitely not built to last. Here's a thread with a whole bunch of people complaining about it.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yes. The problem is the locking mechanism, it's plastic and gets loose and fiddly. The Vmoda cable solves that problem. Also, you should get an adapter because how do you not already have a drawer full of the drat things? Maybe it's because I'm in my 30s, but I swear I've somehow accumulated hundreds of them over the course of my life.

I ended up trying an adaptor but it turns out the adaptor I had was one for threaded connectors; the orange cable with the 90 degree connector didn't fit. Tried cutting off the locking portion, still didn't make a connection. Tried another 1/8" cable without the locking portion and it worked fine. Eventually just gave up and cut the two locking tabs from my 1/4" to 1/8" cable and all's well.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I ordered the 598c from Amazon.
13 hours later it was on my door step along with a TV mount. That's pretty drat fast.

anywho... pictures:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'd be interested to know what you think? I was pretty close to buying them but since I still have the 9500s in the box I held off. I'm sure they will drop back down to $99 in the not too distant future if I really want them agian.

Let us know your thoughts.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Argh, disappointed that the BeatsX have been pushed back to Feb.. Are there any other decent options for wireless earbuds? I get real mixed reviews on the Jaybirds. The Powerbeats are an option too but I kind of prefer the smaller iem style.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MarcusSA posted:

I'd be interested to know what you think? I was pretty close to buying them but since I still have the 9500s in the box I held off. I'm sure they will drop back down to $99 in the not too distant future if I really want them agian.

Let us know your thoughts.

They're great. They're like a bass-biased version of the 598se. They have all the accuracy of the open backed headphones, but with a lot more emphasis in the low end. I'm pretty sure they're the exact same drivers.
What really stands out is the quality of these. I'm really digging the memory-foam like earpads covered in this suede like cloth. They seem far superior to the velour covered 598se pads to be honest. Also, the ear cups are covered in the same material. It feels luxurious just to hold them.
Another point of difference that I enjoy is the clamping force. They're much tighter on my head than the 598se. Presumably, this is because they're supposed to be "walkin' around phones" and Sennheiser doesn't want them flying off your head in a crowded metro, or whatever. They do come with a mic/media control cable for your smartphone, so that's nice.
Overall, they're very comfortable and I could wear them for extended periods of time, but probably not quite as long as the open backed 598se for 2 reasons: the clamping force, and the isolation.
The isolation in these is very good. So much so that you really do feel cut-off from everything around you.

Edit: did I mention that these have ALL the clamping force? I have a small head so it's nice for me, but if you have a big head... be warned.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 13, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So it does come with a Mic? I couldn't figure out for sure if it did or not.

I might just have to pick them up then next time they are $99.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

So it does come with a Mic? I couldn't figure out for sure if it did or not.

I might just have to pick them up then next time they are $99.

Yeah, one of the two cables it comes with has a 3.5mm jack, a mic, and a 'answer call' button on it, the other being just a plain...whatever the big jack is called. FWIW some other poster earlier described some issues with that cable specifically, though I haven't noticed anything.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They're great. They're like a bass-biased version of the 598se. They have all the accuracy of the open backed headphones, but with a lot more emphasis in the low end. I'm pretty sure they're the exact same drivers.
What really stands out is the quality of these. I'm really digging the memory-foam like earpads covered in this suede like cloth. They seem far superior to the velour covered 598se pads to be honest. Also, the ear cups are covered in the same material. It feels luxurious just to hold them.
Another point of difference that I enjoy is the clamping force. They're much tighter on my head than the 598se. Presumably, this is because they're supposed to be "walkin' around phones" and Sennheiser doesn't want them flying off your head in a crowded metro, or whatever. They do come with a mic/media control cable for your smartphone, so that's nice.
Overall, they're very comfortable and I could wear them for extended periods of time, but probably not quite as long as the open backed 598se for 2 reasons: the clamping force, and the isolation.
The isolation in these is very good. So much so that you really do feel cut-off from everything around you.

Edit: did I mention that these have ALL the clamping force? I have a small head so it's nice for me, but if you have a big head... be warned.

The 598 and 598C have different drivers. Different frequency range, different sensitivity and the 598C has half the rated impedance as the 598.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Hey guys - I finally went out and got a my first DAC/AMP stack - The Magni 2 Uber / Modi 2 Uber. The music clearly sounds better but I've got an issue. The right channel is definitely louder than the left. I read about channel imbalance being an issue at low volume but it's an issue all the way around the pot. Is this common? Think the amp needs to be sent back?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Lowness 72 posted:

Hey guys - I finally went out and got a my first DAC/AMP stack - The Magni 2 Uber / Modi 2 Uber. The music clearly sounds better but I've got an issue. The right channel is definitely louder than the left. I read about channel imbalance being an issue at low volume but it's an issue all the way around the pot. Is this common? Think the amp needs to be sent back?

Do you have any other headphones to try it with? Maybe something isn't plugged in correctly? You probably already looked at/did those things.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ya I tried it with 3 different sets and even swapped the plugs going from the modi to the magni (from left to right and vice versa).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lowness 72 posted:

Ya I tried it with 3 different sets and even swapped the plugs going from the modi to the magni (from left to right and vice versa).

Definitely double check your sound settings in Windows / OS X. I have more than once thought I had a hardware channel imbalance that turned out to be a dumb software thing.

Also, try it with a source you know for sure is mono, like a sine sweep test or something.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ha that was the first thing I checked. Thanks for suggesting though.

Ok I'm going to sleep on it. My internet has been wonky lately and has decided it won't stream anything so I can't test it with a good source test. I wish there was a simple objective way to test it so I knew I wasn't crazy!

Thanks for all your help guys.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Hey guys; I have a question. Are there any really high quality gaming headsets that one can use? Headsets that do a good job of being headphones and a microphone at the same time? I've gotten some of those in the past, but the headphones tend to be cheap, and the mics attached at the end of them seem to break fairly easily. Are there any headsets that avoid those two issues, or would I be better off just getting a regular ol' microphone?

As for the specs of what I'd be plugging said headset into...

quote:

Budget - About $50 or so.
Source - I'd be plugging the headset into my computer case (the thing that contains the computer's hard drive)
Isolation Requirements - No Isolation needed
Preferred Type of Headphone - I like my headphones to be over my ears
Preferred Tonal Balance - I...have absolutely no idea what this is. But I would like the noise channels to be split between the two muffs, rather than focused onto only the left or right sides
Past Headphones - I used two Plantronic headsets before; both had muffs that were very barebones, and the mic attached at the end of them was fragile
Preferred Music - N/A

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I think you should be able to find the original HyperX Cloud headset for around that price.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Gaming headsets are generally not good.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I ordered the HD598c from Amazon and wasn't sure if I wanted to take them to work, or leave them at home and bring my ATH A700x to work.

I recorded a voice-over for a video today, and immediately ordered the BoomPro knockoff because my current $6 mic sounds awful and I had no idea.

I guess the A700x are going to work, so I can use the BoomPro with the Sennheisers. That made my decision easy!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fav headphones with a modmic or a boom pro is usually a much better proposition than whatever gaming company #47 can cobble together.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yes, but a ModMic is his entire budget and a BoomPro is about half of it. And that's just for a mic.

Like I said, the original HyperX Cloud would fit what you want and fit your budget if you find it on sale.

It's based on the Takstar Pro80 so it's not exactly hot garbage.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Constellation I posted:

Yes, but a ModMic is his entire budget and a BoomPro is about half of it. And that's just for a mic.

Like I said, the original HyperX Cloud would fit what you want and fit your budget if you find it on sale.

It's based on the Takstar Pro80 so it's not exactly hot garbage.

It's also 80 bucks, which is still over his budget.

For under $50, here's what I would do:

Good ol' Monoprice 8323: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...rice+headphones
And a Ketdirect Boompro clone: https://www.amazon.com/adapter-Micr...direct+boom+mic

There ya go. At least as good as that HyperX thing, and half the price.

If you have an extra $10 to spend, upgrade the headphones to Superlux 668s: https://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD6...uperlux+hd+668b
and throw in a 3.5mm barrel so the boom mic can connect: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...emale+to+female
and now you have something guaranteed to be much, much better than the HyperX, and still $20 cheaper.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
incidentally,

quote:

But I would like the noise channels to be split between the two muffs, rather than focused onto only the left or right sides

I have no loving idea what this is supposed to mean but I think it's the new thread title.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

grack posted:

The 598 and 598C have different drivers. Different frequency range, different sensitivity and the 598C has half the rated impedance as the 598.

Good to know. They do sound very similar,particularly in terms of clarity, and I assumed the frequency response range was a result of them being closed backed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

Isn't stated frequency range mostly a meaningless number?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Josh Lyman posted:

Depends on how you define meaningless.
In this case, I wasn't referring to the stated frequency range. I meant that what you hear is more (punchier and fuller) bass, and the highs seem to drop off a lot sooner on the 598c than it's open back brethren.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes, but a manufacturer usually won't publish different frequency specs for the same driver. In any case, impedence is the real giveaway in this context.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's also 80 bucks, which is still over his budget.

For under $50, here's what I would do:

Good ol' Monoprice 8323: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...rice+headphones
And a Ketdirect Boompro clone: https://www.amazon.com/adapter-Micr...direct+boom+mic

There ya go. At least as good as that HyperX thing, and half the price.

If you have an extra $10 to spend, upgrade the headphones to Superlux 668s: https://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD6...uperlux+hd+668b
and throw in a 3.5mm barrel so the boom mic can connect: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...emale+to+female
and now you have something guaranteed to be much, much better than the HyperX, and still $20 cheaper.

I said on sale. Plus I'd take Takstar Pro 80's over Superlux 668B's any day of the week. (So hell no on the much much better comment) But that's definitely a good option for under $50 regular price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Constellation I posted:

I said on sale. Plus I'd take Takstar Pro 80's over Superlux 668B's any day of the week. (So hell no on the much much better comment) But that's definitely a good option for under $50 regular price.

For music I agree, but for gaming I have to give the edge to the 668. The soundstage is bonkers.