Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Beasteh posted:

How the gently caress does everyone 100 gem 5* all the time, my overall rate is like 4.5% and I do it on every banner :argh:

Attestant posted:

Pretty sure the 12.5% refers to the amount of Golden Shield (V) 3*s I get.

These posts are why I made this to remind me about 100 gem pulls.

Note: I ignored this reminder a few times. Got a Ragnarok and Lightbringer(VI), but the rest... yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah I know but still...

Any advice for the mc3 fight? I feel like I need to create and hone another Lightning Strike and/or Lightning spell to have enough attacks to keep knocking the shield down.

It only comes up twice at his thresholds; a grand total of six lightning attacks are necessary. That's a R1 skill slot on three people. You'd honestly want to hone more because when the shield's not up it's weak to it anyway, but that's the max you need to do.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

Atomos is honestly the easiest Nightmare by far. The only celling is a DPS check - you just have to burn down about 280k+ health in the time for a 50 SPD boss (who can be Slowed) to take nine turns.

The bosses in the run up to him are surprisingly no joke if you lack synergies, though. Nightmare run-up bosses have gotten significantly tougher since the first set.

And yeah don't be shy about stacking more lightning damage than that for Guardian. Having three people with skills means you can drop his barrier in one round instead of two, and it's a great source of damage anyway. If you're running a mage, definitely bring the "spells have a chance to fire twice" RMs; procs count as two hits unlike stuff like multi-hit SBs.

Baku fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 13, 2016

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Draw Fire + Retaliate works great for the bosses leading up to Atomos. If you have Ingus or Gilgamesh's BSBs they're a total joke.

Also Atomos has to actually use his turn to enter phase 2. If you slow him immediately and get lucky with Stuns, you can be like me and have him not actually summon gems until he's at about 2% HP. :downs: After his initial Comet and a 199g, his only action for the rest of the fight for me was a single counter Gravity.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Meanwhile I'm still working on my lead up backlog which is at least narrowed down to a few bosses from Support 2 and Celerity 1.

Unfortunately this includes the Mandragoras so it's not going to go too well. I don't imagine there's an AoE Dispel SB of some kind?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AweStriker posted:

Meanwhile I'm still working on my lead up backlog which is at least narrowed down to a few bosses from Support 2 and Celerity 1.

Unfortunately this includes the Mandragoras so it's not going to go too well. I don't imagine there's an AoE Dispel SB of some kind?

Not for another 4-5 months; Paine's BSB has AoE Dispel on entry.

EDIT: Actually, Hope's BSB2 has an AoE Dispel command. Still a good 3-4 months before it appears though.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 13, 2016

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Atomos is honestly the easiest Nightmare by far. The only celling is a DPS check - you just have to burn down about 280k+ health in the time for a 50 SPD boss (who can be Slowed) to take nine turns.

Hell, it's vulnerable to being interrupted too, so if you're lucky with your Dismissal procs or have a stun SB it's really easy to keep it from getting any turns at all. Atomos never got a chance to suck the gems closer to him, he died before he could do that once. Also I kept blowing up all the gems so that probably helped too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That's going to be something nutty like a 40% damage bonus for swords on Cloud, isn't it?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Just finished the U+ Cid Mission. Not too bad with a mixed team + Onion BSB since between all the Mages, Celes and Shadow it's easy to get your Lightning abilities in there.

Whatever Relm's is looks interesting. Just all around elemental resistance? It'd be nice on a squishy healer. And maybe Tyro is getting a cast time buff or something like the Orlandeau RM?

I'm excited to see what some of my favourite non-popular characters like Quina will get. Or if Josef will get something relating to how he dies again.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's going to be something nutty like a 40% damage bonus for swords on Cloud, isn't it?

The icon looks like Combat dualcast to me

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Cloud gets W-Combat.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
gently caress the curada nightmare. Every time I get right to the end, have the cannon hit me back RIGHT before the wave cannon fires. And then the launchers restore. I'm using a hastega and reunion to take out it's first 3/5ths of it's attack. I think I'll switch to using the 2 rw charges for after the first phase.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Fluffy posted:

That RM already exists and it's not locked to a character I think?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Beasteh posted:

Cloud gets W-Combat.

What's W combat?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

pichupal posted:

Just finished the U+ Cid Mission. Not too bad with a mixed team + Onion BSB since between all the Mages, Celes and Shadow it's easy to get your Lightning abilities in there.

I was struggling with Celes/Setzer/Terra/Kefka/Mog until just now when it went really smoothly. Probably due to bettr anticipation of the 70% & 40% HP Barriers so I didn't waste turns, and finding a VI-synergy OK BSB so Swiftspell could hit for 14k~ per use. Plus a lot less gravity attacks, maybe I had bad RNG the first bunch of attempts.

Anyhoo, now I can look at Nightmares #4 - #9 and figure out which ones I have the SBs, hones, and patience for.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

What's W combat?

Double Combat. Combat Dualcast.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

IcePhoenix posted:

That RM already exists and it's not locked to a character I think?

I wasn't aware of there being 40% weapon damage RMs. I thought the level 99 RMs were 30% for weapon types and 40% when specific to an element or skill type?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Huh weird.

Cleared some friends before to make room for newer BSBs, and re-opening the app just now I got a new pop-up offering 3 friends to add based on MP setups.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Atomos was super easy, so I decided to give Necrophobe another shot and that took me a while to figure out. My main issue was that I did not have a single support character that could DPS all day every day. Ended up using Beatrix with high RES and elemental resistance relics, Magic Lure, Shellga, and Lionheart RM to magic tank and spam her BSB. Once Necrophobe hit half health and Beatrix fired off her first BSB, I activated every one of those floating things to lower the boss's defenses, popped a wall, popped Shout and Vessel to boost ATK, and just spammed BSBs the entire time.

Beatrix is the best.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I made Meltdown, myself, and I'm pretty close at being able to hone it at least once. I'm just sad it's in competition with Curada for earth Crystals, because that's what I also want to make.

The other good 6*s are Northern Cross and Snowstorm Strike, right?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I took this opportunity to master the two Nightmare dungeons I hadn't mastered yet.

Kaiser Dragon can kiss my rear end. Who the gently caress thought requiring hitting of the elemental weaknesses was a good idea?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cosmic Afro posted:

I made Meltdown, myself, and I'm pretty close at being able to hone it at least once. I'm just sad it's in competition with Curada for earth Crystals, because that's what I also want to make.

The other good 6*s are Northern Cross and Snowstorm Strike, right?

Northern Cross and Snowstorm Strike are both good but compete for all the same crystals. There's also the two unreleased Nightmare skills we don't have yet (Valigarmanda and Omega Drive), and an unreleased Bard 6* (Allegro Con Moto, which is just an AoE two-action Quickcast buff). Past that, Affliction Break is surprisingly useful for multiplayer, and there are certain setups that can take advantage of Lifebane or Stitch in Time but they're the exception instead of the rule.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Made an attempt at the hardest Dervish fight involving the XIII characters. Even though I have a Peacemaker + and Hope's BSB+ I end up getting wrecked. It tends to be the case that Doom takes me out before I can get the kill due to my damage output not being strong enough.

I'm just going to wait for the Orb rush so I can make two or three full breaks. I want Dervish more than any of the other skills now.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

I'm hoping to clear out the Nightmares this round, strike it lucky on either OSBFest or XIV, then create 6* skills and unlock 6* motes based on the new A-Team. I figure the Nemesis and Diff200+ dungeons will be the time to start spending these thousands of Major Orbs and hundreds of Crystals/Motes.

What's the upcoming bottleneck for Majors based on what JP has received? For a while everything needed Power, then Wind, then Black had a resurgence. Is Dark the new coveted drop?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Munoma posted:

Made an attempt at the hardest Dervish fight involving the XIII characters. Even though I have a Peacemaker + and Hope's BSB+ I end up getting wrecked. It tends to be the case that Doom takes me out before I can get the kill due to my damage output not being strong enough.

I'm just going to wait for the Orb rush so I can make two or three full breaks. I want Dervish more than any of the other skills now.

Have you tried using a BSB as a RW? If you have any decent mage synergy equipment for XIII you could probably get away with using a Rinoa BSB (or maybe a Serah BSB? that I think is ice based?). It could work really well since you have one of Hope's throwing mage weapons. If you have Edea leveled up, she can equip the thrown weapon and use Memento Mori to boost her own magic before using the BSB commands.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
After finishing the Nightmare fights from this round, I noticed I was one Holy Crystal away from Curada, since I wasn't able to master that stupid Guardian fight. Fortunately I went back to some old Nightmares I did back when I was just starting out, and mastered Gi Nattak for a Holy Crystal. Now I have Curada, though I'm not sure what to do with it, since only 4 uses isn't going to be able to replace my R5 Curaja, meaning it's not good enough for longer content, and for shorter content, Curaja works fine anyway.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Twelve by Pies posted:

After finishing the Nightmare fights from this round, I noticed I was one Holy Crystal away from Curada, since I wasn't able to master that stupid Guardian fight. Fortunately I went back to some old Nightmares I did back when I was just starting out, and mastered Gi Nattak for a Holy Crystal. Now I have Curada, though I'm not sure what to do with it, since only 4 uses isn't going to be able to replace my R5 Curaja, meaning it's not good enough for longer content, and for shorter content, Curaja works fine anyway.

Slap it on a healer with a Proshellga relic (Rosa's White Dress, Y'shtola's Omnirod, Tyro's Keeper's Tome, etc) and throw them into Multiplayer. The overheal can really make a difference when a boss gets five actions to your one. Alternately, give it to Tyro, OK, or a WHM-Summoner to play backup healer while keeping their other skill slot offensively-minded.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wasn't aware of there being 40% weapon damage RMs. I thought the level 99 RMs were 30% for weapon types and 40% when specific to an element or skill type?

I may have been combining the two in my head.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Multiplayer is so good in this game. I love that you only need to have 2 powerful characters to fully contribute, and you get to see everyone's cool SBs and honed-up 5* and 6* skills. I've been bringing Vaan with his BSB and Tyro with SG and Full Break to cover most of the party's utility needs. Also stickers as the sole way to communicate is great, they're super cute.

edit: I just did the U Titan fight where the raid leader started the fight as soon as the 4th person joined, and we didn't have a single healer in the party. It ended up being fine because we took almost no damage after mitigation was up, but one of the leader's chars took the first 2 hits and spent the whole fight at 10% hp spamming the "heal me" sticker.

Edly fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 13, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think I need to change who I'm bringing to Multiplayer because I've been bringing Faris and everyone just uses Full Break right after I use her BSB entry

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
MP illustrates just how many Wall-havers don't realize that the buff expires.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

MP is good

fungaah! is the only emote you should be spamming

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

flowinprose posted:

Have you tried using a BSB as a RW? If you have any decent mage synergy equipment for XIII you could probably get away with using a Rinoa BSB (or maybe a Serah BSB? that I think is ice based?). It could work really well since you have one of Hope's throwing mage weapons. If you have Edea leveled up, she can equip the thrown weapon and use Memento Mori to boost her own magic before using the BSB commands.

I was foolish enough to think Squall's overstrike would do something and sadly it didn't help.

I do have a new strategy though, I took what motes I had and dumped them where I could. That and I honed some abilities to end the fight faster.

If anyone cares I'll update later what happened, until then I'm going to clear some campaign dungeons for gil and stamina shards.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Munoma posted:

I was foolish enough to think Squall's overstrike would do something and sadly it didn't help.

I do have a new strategy though, I took what motes I had and dumped them where I could. That and I honed some abilities to end the fight faster.

If anyone cares I'll update later what happened, until then I'm going to clear some campaign dungeons for gil and stamina shards.

A RW OSB won't do as much damage because it isn't affected by your buffs. Neither is the entry of the BSB, but a BSB works better for the RW way because you can stack up buffs on the person using the BSB commands. Using a RW BSB with Edea using Memento Mori and good synergy gear exploiting a weakness will probably be capable of ~30k per action and you should be able to get 5 actions per RW cast which is around 300k damage over the course of the two BSB uses (i.e. enough damage to kill the boss outright).

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
RW BSB commands are useful things for mage meta parties, especially if you have native Wall/Faithga/Medica.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

flowinprose posted:

A RW OSB won't do as much damage because it isn't affected by your buffs. Neither is the entry of the BSB, but a BSB works better for the RW way because you can stack up buffs on the person using the BSB commands. Using a RW BSB with Edea using Memento Mori and good synergy gear exploiting a weakness will probably be capable of ~30k per action and you should be able to get 5 actions per RW cast which is around 300k damage over the course of the two BSB uses (i.e. enough damage to kill the boss outright).

RW entries are absolutely affected by your buffs, they just aren't influenced by any of the character's stats. The problem is, from the sound of it, they weren't packing Shout to boost that RW OSB with.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

KataraniSword posted:

RW entries are absolutely affected by your buffs, they just aren't influenced by any of the character's stats. The problem is, from the sound of it, they weren't packing Shout to boost that RW OSB with.

I was pretty sure they were only potentially affected by your character's RM and their position (back row if the RW is physical but not ranged), not by any buffs cast on the user of the RW?

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Beat that piece of poo poo Kaiser Dragon :black101: Didn't master but I'll worry about that later; the last round had two people eating dirt with everyone else on life support and I was one AoE away from a wipe, so I'm not eager to run through that again. MVP goes to actually honing my -jas and Rinoa's BSB tearing through a back to back earth then ice weakness on phase 2.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I cannot loving believe my luck and I expect nothing for the rest of time holy poo poo I finally got a Zidane relic I think I might cry.

This right here is why I still put my faith in the single pull lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Venus Car from the previous nightmare is still a jerk.

• Locked thread