Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

The stormtroopers in IV are obviously not supposed to be clones because Han and Luke dress up as them and talk and stuff and none of the other stormtroopers go "hey why you don't sound exactly like me"

The clones were all programmed with myriad directives, 66 being the big "kill all jedi" one. Order 67 was "Kill Palpatine" that was included to make everyone less sus about the "Kill all the jedi" order. Palpatine phased out the clones pretty quickly because that's a pretty big loose end and you don't want your footsoldiers to be one hacker away from trying to kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

I also feel that the economy in Germany was good under Hitler, or at least, not bad. I remember stories about German currency being fairly worthless after WWI, and I don't recall that being the case in WWII, so I assume it probably improved, so I feel that the argument of "the economy can't possibly be strong under fascism" is false.

The German economy rebounded under the Nazis, it was already rebounding when Hitler was put into power, and it continued to grow under them. The main reason why it grew like it did was because the Nazis were running a giant credit scheme around rearmament and many companies in Germany were operating on credit, the MeFo scheme. Germany would have gone bankrupt and their economy would have collapsed by the 1940's if they didn't invade and plunder their neighbors to pay off the extreme amount of debt they owed.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

Random quote from a recent Dilbertman post.

So by Adams' own statement, the 1930s Germany delusion will never get any weaker, because Trump has not done a single thing that is sane, reasonable, or inclusive, nor is he ever likely to.

I also feel that the economy in Germany was good under Hitler, or at least, not bad. I remember stories about German currency being fairly worthless after WWI, and I don't recall that being the case in WWII, so I assume it probably improved, so I feel that the argument of "the economy can't possibly be strong under fascism" is false.

Okay, he absolutely has to be arguing in bad faith now, even Joe Walsh is tweaking to the fact that Trump is obscenely corrupt. Either he's trolling to make some idiot meta point or his brain's completely turned to mush at this point.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ManlyGrunting posted:

Okay, he absolutely has to be arguing in bad faith now, even Joe Walsh is tweaking to the fact that Trump is obscenely corrupt. Either he's trolling to make some idiot meta point or his brain's completely turned to mush at this point.

Considering that "trolling for some idiot meta point" means you're so far up your rear end you've become nose-blind to your own farts, I'd say his brain is mush either way.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He's sticking it to all those SJWs who made him feel bad once.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The German economy rebounded under the Nazis, it was already rebounding when Hitler was put into power, and it continued to grow under them. The main reason why it grew like it did was because the Nazis were running a giant credit scheme around rearmament and many companies in Germany were operating on credit, the MeFo scheme. Germany would have gone bankrupt and their economy would have collapsed by the 1940's if they didn't invade and plunder their neighbors to pay off the extreme amount of debt they owed.

Dow 20k!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Twelve by Pies posted:

The German government deliberately wrecked the currency at times in the 20s as part of an effort to renegotiate and disrupt the treaty payment obligations. This is the time period you hear about when people had wheelbarrows of notes to buy a loaf of bread, or took their currency to burn for fuel because it was worthless. The currency got replaced and stabilized by the mid-late 20s however, using a complicated process partially backed by claims on real estate.

The German economy really wasn't good under the Nazis. Most of the time they just managed to avoid not loving up the recovery that was already occurring under late Weimar-era economic policy. And as time went on, the Nazis just straight up smashed and grabbed stuff from countries they invaded/annexed to keep the economy going. For instance, when they annexed Austria, they took all the gold and foreign currency reserves of the Austrian central bank systems and used it to prop up Germany's own reserves. This was necessary to keep up the ability to buy outside food and other resources needed to keep the economy going.

Later of course, during the war proper they just straight up stole even more stuff to keep things going, and the reichsmark was only "strong" because they forced occupied nations to accept it was worth a lot. When there's a detachment of SS men at the door, and they say the Reichsmark is worth 20 French francs now, well you give them 20 francs for a reichsmark. It doesn't matter that in a fair exchange rate it might have actually only been worth 10 francs.

As soon as Nazi authority left an area though, the value quickly dropped. The Nazis had massively overprinted and issued their own currency during the war. The value of the national currencies of various countries suffered a little, but the Nazi currency was effectively worth 1/10 of its previous worth during the immediate pre-World War II era (this is a gross oversimplification, but close enough.).

Adam Tooze has a great book about the Nazi peacetime and wartime economy and how it was massively dysfunctional: The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy

fishmech fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 11, 2016

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Twelve by Pies posted:

Random quote from a recent Dilbertman post.

So by Adams' own statement, the 1930s Germany delusion will never get any weaker, because Trump has not done a single thing that is sane, reasonable, or inclusive, nor is he ever likely to.

The economy in the Third Reich was propped up by the reserves of the countries that they occupied, and also by massive amounts of slave labour after 1941. Without the plundering of their neighbours, they'd have collapsed fairly fast.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

fishmech posted:

The German government deliberately wrecked the currency at times in the 20s as part of an effort to renegotiate and disrupt the treaty payment obligations. This is the time period you hear about when people had wheelbarrows of notes to buy a loaf of bread, or took their currency to burn for fuel because it was worthless. The currency got replaced and stabilized by the mid-late 20s however, using a complicated process partially backed by claims on real estate.

This basically. The reparations scheme was propped up by American investment in Germany making a nice little capital loop. Americans invested in German property and business, Germans paid Britain and France reparations, and those guys repaid Americans war loans. Worked fine until 1929 and American capital dried up.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I didn't know Fox News had a comedy segment.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Rip Testes posted:

I didn't know Fox News had a comedy segment.

Gutfeld is an rear end but he's the only person on their "commentary" lineup that doesn't have Trump jizz leaking out of their buttholes mid-segment.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Speaking of the fucker, is he really trying to convince the people that Russia's undermining one of our institutions to help beat a so-called "enemy" to the country rather than put the country's real enemy in power?

Surely he cannot be stupid enough to think that this statement won't backfire in his face royally can he?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Did someone mention idiots who are trying to convince people that Russia's undermining one of our institutions to beat a so-called "enemy" is actually a great thing? Because that sounds like time for a Scott Adams blog post!

quote:

One way to look at the recent election in the United States is that Russia (allegedly) subverted our democratic process to ensure that Trump would win. The facts seem to point in that general direction, although we can’t know how much influence Russia really had.

Another way to look at the election is that Russia did a big favor for the American public by preventing Clinton from becoming president. That interpretation depends entirely on your opinion of Clinton. But it too fits the facts. One assumes Russia’s motives were to help Russia, not the United States. But we might have benefitted anyway.

Clinton saw Russia as an adversary. I confess my ignorance on this topic – and maybe you can set me straight in the comments – because I can’t think of any reason Russia and the United States should be considered natural enemies. Both countries want to defeat ISIS. Both countries want peace and prosperity. Neither claims ownership of any of the other’s territory. I see the prospect of good relations with Russia as a way to make some money for both countries and defeat ISIS too. That doesn’t seem so bad.

If Russia did interfere with our elections in a meaningful way, obviously that is a hole we need to plug. But this is an unusual situation because their alleged actions look more like the work of a sneaky ally than an enemy. The likely outcome of their alleged hacking is that we’ll have better relations with a major superpower and a better chance of defeating ISIS.

Oh yeah by the way. Fake news is actually great. Everyone should love fake news, it's a force for good!

quote:

But what if the fake news is created with good intentions? For example, suppose you believed that Donald Trump would be the best president and you knew that facts and reason don’t change minds as well as fake news. In that situation you might create a fake news story that helps your candidate win, but you would be doing so in the interest of society.

In my worldview – that of a hypnotist and persuader – all news is persuasion, and it is presented for that purpose even if the presenters don’t think of it that way. According to this worldview, what matters is the effectiveness of the fake news and whether it is intended for the public good or just to generate click-ad revenue for the creator. Fake news is neither good nor bad. It is a tool of persuasion, just like mainstream news that can be either based on truth or not. In both cases what matters is how people are influenced. The underlying truth is generally beyond the public’s grasp. And it doesn’t matter most of the time.

if you live in the two-dimensional world where you still think truth and facts and reason matter to decisions, you probably think fake news is a problem. But in the 3rd dimension – where persuasion matters and reason is an illusion – fake news is a tool. And a tool can be used for good or evil.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

In my worldview – that of a hypnotist and persuader

:cawg:

It never stops being hilariously pathetic how desperately he clings to "master persuader" as his identity.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

It never stops being hilariously pathetic how desperately he clings to "master persuader" as his identity.
Identifying as a hypnotist and persuader sounds like you get put on a registry that blocks people from living near college campuses.

Twelve by Pies, did he actually open up his comments section? The one time I checked his blog, it was multiple pages of Trump hype with comments blocked for all entries.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

sweart gliwere posted:

Twelve by Pies, did he actually open up his comments section? The one time I checked his blog, it was multiple pages of Trump hype with comments blocked for all entries.

His comments section is indeed actually open again! It was reopened on December 5th, the day he posted an article saying climate change is actually a mass delusion with no real evidence behind it. Sometimes I'll load the page and it will say all articles have 0 comments, but if I refresh the number usually shows up again.

I dare not look upon the horror of the comment sections.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

quote:

I can’t think of any reason Russia and the United States should be considered natural enemies. Both countries want to defeat ISIS. Both countries want peace and prosperity. Neither claims ownership of any of the other’s territory.
So, Russia's military action in Syria is actually to support Assad, against the US. Right?
NATO and the US dispute Russia's annexation of Crimea and are imposing sanctions meant to keep Russia from annexing Ukraine.
And Russia and the U.S. both are making claims against the arctic seafloor for petro-rights, as well?

Don't these three facts completely invalidate Scott's assertions above?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

Don't these three facts

See, there's that word. "Facts." I thought I told you people that facts don't matter. Look, Russia and the US feel like they're not in conflict with each other and ultimately that's all that matters in the real 3D world, unless you want to stay in the 2D world for babies with your "facts" and "reason" which are all lies. :smug:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

So, Russia's military action in Syria is actually to support Assad, against the US. Right?
NATO and the US dispute Russia's annexation of Crimea and are imposing sanctions meant to keep Russia from annexing Ukraine.
And Russia and the U.S. both are making claims against the arctic seafloor for petro-rights, as well?

Pfft, you don't need "evidence" or "facts" for your arguments when you're a :siren:MASTER PERSUADER:siren: libtard. :smug:

e: seriously Adams couldn't persuade a cat to lick its own rear end in a top hat.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

ultimately that's all that matters in the real 3D world, unless you want to stay in the 2D world for babies with your "facts" and "reason" which are all lies. :smug:

hey man don't spoil the next thomas friedman column

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ManlyGrunting posted:

e: seriously Adams couldn't persuade a cat to lick its own rear end in a top hat.
I laughed. That's a good one and I'm gonna use it if I get a chance (I'll crowbar it in somewhere.)

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Shouldn't that be to not convince a cat to lick his own rear end in a top hat?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Keeshhound posted:

:cawg:

No, he's just a regular persuader, but he's skilled enough to recognize a Master like Trump.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There needs to be a cloud-to-butt plugin for persuader-to-bater.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Rick_Hunter posted:

Yeah cats lick their assholes every chance they get. I should know, I have three of the little butt heads.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Rick_Hunter posted:

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Yeah cats lick their assholes every chance they get. I should know, I have three of the little butt heads.

:thejoke:

They're saying Adams is so unpersuasive that he couldn't convince someone to do something that they wanted to, let alone anything more challenging.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chimera-gui posted:

Speaking of the fucker, is he really trying to convince the people that Russia's undermining one of our institutions to help beat a so-called "enemy" to the country rather than put the country's real enemy in power?

Surely he cannot be stupid enough to think that this statement won't backfire in his face royally can he?

If the last few years have taught me anything it's that literally nothing can backfire on him. He's totally Teflon as long as every other politician is a gutless coward (they are).

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Also the thing that Putin is basically an enemy of democracy, and a big part of why people suspect he tried to undermine the US election is that he's done exactly that to several smaller countries.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

If the last few years have taught me anything it's that literally nothing can backfire on him. He's totally Teflon as long as every other politician is a gutless coward (they are).

Just goes to show how far "never apologize" can take you if you really are utterly shameless.

Mencken called this a hundred years ago.

quote:

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

quote:

The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

quote:

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
Do I miss G.W.B. yet?

Yes. I really do.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Keeshhound posted:

:thejoke:

They're saying Adams is so unpersuasive that he couldn't convince someone to do something that they wanted to, let alone anything more challenging.

I thought Rick_Hunter was saying Adams wants a cat to lick his (Adams's) rear end in a top hat. It was hard to parse the grammar of that sentence.

Ewen Cluney posted:

Also the thing that Putin is basically an enemy of democracy, and a big part of why people suspect he tried to undermine the US election is that he's done exactly that to several smaller countries.

While I agree with that, I also find it a bit hypocritical that the U.S. is getting mad at other countries mucking with our internal politics, as if we haven't done the same thing all over the world since the Cold War started.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 13, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jurgan posted:

I also find it a bit hypocritical that the U.S. is getting mad at other countries mucking with our internal politics, as if we haven't done the same thing all over the world since the Cold War started.

I've been hearing this line all day. Isn't that exactly why this sort of thing shouldn't be able to happen here? Shouldn't the people who know how to install leaders have safeguards against that very idea?

...is what I would ask if things actually worked, but they're clearly broken.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jurgan posted:

I thought Rick_Hunter was saying Adams wants a cat to lick his (Adams's) rear end in a top hat. It was hard to parse the grammar of that sentence.

While I agree with that, I also find it a bit hypocritical that the U.S. is getting mad at other countries mucking with our internal politics, as if we haven't done the same thing all over the world since the Cold War started.

Yeah I mean just look at Chile. Although I don't like it happening, it's not like we have any high ground here to complain.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I've been hearing this line all day. Isn't that exactly why this sort of thing shouldn't be able to happen here? Shouldn't the people who know how to install leaders have safeguards against that very idea?

...is what I would ask if things actually worked, but they're clearly broken.

The Russians figured out how to do it totally legally and our system seems to pride itself with the willingness to throw itself off a cliff as long as it was done properly and by the rules.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 13, 2016

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Apparently Pam Geller got banned from Britain personally by Theresa May and she was on Breitbart whining about it today, as well as maligning the banning of her buddy Richard Spencer.

Just loving once I'd love for her to go on a show where the host is willing to ask "Did Srebrenica happen?"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Radish posted:

The Russians figured out how to do it totally legally and our system seems to pride itself with the willingness to throw itself off a cliff as long as it was done properly and by the rules.

Properly, by the rules and ARE TEAM won, not those sissy LIEberals and DEMONRATS.

If there was the faintest whiff of the Democrats gaining power due to outside influence Republicans would be howling a shitstorm. Instead there is very real, blatantly obvious proof that Putin was doing everything he could to nudge and push the system towards Trump (how effective it was compared to Trump's simple message of blatant racism is up for debate) and the Republicans have been mostly keeping silent. And the MSM is mostly owned by conservative money and interests, not progressive/liberal ones.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

zegermans posted:

Apparently Pam Geller got banned from Britain personally by Theresa May and she was on Breitbart whining about it today, as well as maligning the banning of her buddy Richard Spencer.

We also banned National Action (a far-right political organisation) after they celebrated the murder of one of our legislators by a neo-Nazi in June.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zegermans posted:

Just loving once I'd love for her to go on a show where the host is willing to ask "Did Srebrenica happen?"

Just searched for info on this (because good) and of course the top stories from google are from Breitbart. I'm looking forward to searching on a climate change topic and having Infowars yelling about chem trails being the top story for me to read.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Speaking from ignorance here, does it actually work like that, that the PM makes the unilateral decision to declare somebody persona non grata?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

Speaking from ignorance here, does it actually work like that, that the PM makes the unilateral decision to declare somebody persona non grata?

Probably not but I only got this news straight from Breitbart News Daily on my morning drive. I imagine it's part of some larger plot to try to pull May to the right, or make up wedge issues to allow for more space between the sane right and the fascists so the fascists can point and say "look, you can vote for even more racist people!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Prime Minister does not. The Home Secretary does - they control things such as the police and immigration. Back in 2013 Geller was banned under our right to block entry to the country of anyone not 'conducive to the public good' - this list is actually very short and is made up almost solely of Nazi and Islamic terrorists.