Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I'm a little surprised myself that I often end up on the top of the goon club leaderboards. I don't try to pick the perfect car for every track and tune every car to the limit, or try to do perfect laps where I memorise every braking point for every single corner. I just try to go fast. I would love if others just tried to go fast too and tried to fight me.

Please fight me.

Please.

Best regards,
Muttering Hobo
Thanks for the inspiration!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M&t=28s

Content: http://jalopnik.com/porsches-exclusive-video-game-deal-with-ea-is-finally-d-1790010371

:godwinning: :godwinning: :godwinning: :godwinning: :godwinning: :godwinning: :godwinning:

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 12, 2016

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

ethanol posted:

Forza horizon grc seems like it might have a lot of non goons in it

There wasn't really an option to limit it like Horizon 2 did. Either it was closed and we would have to add everyone manually, or leave it wide open. Since there didn't appear to be any meaningful way randos could actually effect anything, I didn't see much point in bothering. If anything, we get some meager bonus for being in a larger club.

Also, I'm getting hit with a lot of stuttering and my Xbone's bluray drive is dying :(

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Atmus posted:

There wasn't really an option to limit it like Horizon 2 did. Either it was closed and we would have to add everyone manually, or leave it wide open. Since there didn't appear to be any meaningful way randos could actually effect anything, I didn't see much point in bothering. If anything, we get some meager bonus for being in a larger club.

Also, I'm getting hit with a lot of stuttering and my Xbone's bluray drive is dying :(

Im getting audio stutters that sound like a scratched cd even though its a digital download on an external hard drive. Short pauses and stutters in the gameplay too.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well seeing as the 944 Turbo S was in FH2 i am hopeful. An s2 3.0 swap would be nice however.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

DogonCrook posted:

Im getting audio stutters that sound like a scratched cd even though its a digital download on an external hard drive. Short pauses and stutters in the gameplay too.

Do you have instant on turned on on your Xbox? If so try doing a hard reset , that fixed it for me. Something about instant on causes sound to degrade in forza games over time.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

General Probe posted:

Do you have instant on turned on on your Xbox? If so try doing a hard reset , that fixed it for me. Something about instant on causes sound to degrade in forza games over time.

I do and I forget about this all the time. Lots of games have this problem. Whats the easiest way to do this now besides holding the power button? I noticed they added a couple of new options in the system menu but it doesn't say if that is the equivalent of a hard reset.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

What's this rumor I hear about Forza getting a black flag option for bad drivers?

People were talking about it in the league lobby last night.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Is the NASCAR expansion any good?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Is the NASCAR expansion any good?

If you like oval racing with idiots and 50 identical cars, sure. Homestead is an okay track. It's largely forgettable. I always forget it exists because it's not in the league rotation or hoppers - there is a NASCAR dedicated hopper though.

The Porsche expansion was much better and VIR is an amazing track.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

geeves posted:

If you like oval racing with idiots and 50 identical cars, sure. Homestead is an okay track. It's largely forgettable. I always forget it exists because it's not in the league rotation or hoppers - there is a NASCAR dedicated hopper though.

Thanks, I have the Porsche one already. I'll just wait until I see it on sale.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

geeves posted:

I actually liked the Homestead roval layouts a lot more than I thought I would. They are pretty fun for what they are.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It annoys me that I bought the f6 ultimate edition but I have to pay $19 for this Nurburgring + Cars for apex :argh:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Atmus, I know this is old news, but my launch XBone stopped reading discs reliably just before it was a year old. I've been buying digital ever since because I don't want to pay to have it fixed (they turned me down when I asked them to fix it about two weeks outside of warranty, even though I'd reported the problem six weeks before.)

One thing that can bring it back to life for a time is going to your apps under settings. Uninstall the BluRay app, reboot, and reinstall it.It's worked for me before.

I just ordered my first BluRay set that includes a 4K UHD disc, BluRay, and BluRay 3D in one box. I have a Sony 55" 4K/3D TV and I haven't seen any 4K content on it, yet. Since the Xbone-S supports 4K upscaling, HDR gaming, and 4K streaming, I might grab one after the holidays with my holiday pay/overtime. Not looking forward to downloading hundreds of GB of games, but I'll get a chance to check out 4K and HDR gaming until Scorpio comes out. I can then retire my current XBone, which is fine except for the optical drive. Hang onto it as a backup, maybe?

That's my justification, anyway.

geeves posted:

I agree, and I actually enjoyed the Porsche Anthology career. VIR rocks.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 13, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Atmus, I know this is old news, but my launch XBone stopped reading discs reliably just before it was a year old. I've been buying digital ever since because I don't want to pay to have it fixed (they turned me down when I asked them to fix it about two weeks outside of warranty, even though I'd reported the problem six weeks before.)

One thing that can bring it back to life for a time is going to your apps under settings. Uninstall the BluRay app, reboot, and reinstall it.It's worked for me before.

I just ordered my first BluRay set that includes a 4K UHD disc, BluRay, and BluRay 3D in one box. I have a Sony 55" 4K/3D TV and I haven't seen any 4K content on it, yet. Since the Xbone-S supports 4K upscaling, HDR gaming, and 4K streaming, I might grab one after the holidays with my holiday pay/overtime. Not looking forward to downloading hundreds of GB of games, but I'll get a chance to check out 4K and HDR gaming until Scorpio comes out. I can then retire my current XBone, which is fine except for the optical drive. Hang onto it as a backup, maybe?

That's my justification, anyway.
I agree, and I actually enjoyed the Porsche Anthology career. VIR rocks.

Make sure to use your credit card to buy it. It will feel so sweet.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Make sure to use your credit card to buy it. It will feel so sweet.
I know, right? Then I can post defending my purchase and get banned for it.

History will teach us nothing.
--George Washington

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

From what little I've seen of Horizon 2, it looks like that game had the nicer locale? South of France and Northern Italy? Much rather that than having to bump shoulders with the likes of Daniel Ricciardo & Jamie Whincup.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Falken posted:

From what little I've seen of Horizon 2, it looks like that game had the nicer locale? South of France and Northern Italy? Much rather that than having to bump shoulders with the likes of Daniel Ricciardo & Jamie Whincup.

Well FH2 did have nicer buildings, but of course there isn't much contest between historical Mediterranean architecture and contemporary Aussie shack architecture. I like the FH3 setting better because it's bigger and more varied than FH2, and it doesn't feel so wrong to tear across the Outback like an idiot, compared to tearing through some French farmer's lavender field like an idiot.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

It sounds as though there are infinitely less reasons to exclaim "strewth" and "crikey" in FH2 while acting like a half-drunk, tweaking bogan.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Horizon 3 is better because you can do donuts in the main street of Surfers Paradise in a clapped out VL Commodore telling every oval office to get hosed, and then come inside and play Horizon 3

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Falken posted:

I found FH2's setting to be extremely boring. The entire map is so indistinct and unmemorable compared to both FH1 and FH3. The roads are also just not very fun compared to either of the other Horizon games.

Like, in both 1 and 3, driving from one side of the map to the other results in some massive changes in scenery. Even though I have not touched the first Horizon game for like 4 years, I still remember the dam and the canyon, which were on opposite sides of the map. I still remember that super wide highway on the west part of the map, I still remember the golf course, the mine with those stone mounds or whatever they were in the north. Conversely, even though I played FH2 for almost 200 hours, all I remember from it is that there were vineyards everywhere and the grass was all tinged yellow, like it was slightly dead or something. It was that uninteresting.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 13, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR HE just will not behave for me, at all, and I have no idea how to tune it so first gear isn't four seconds of redlining until I hit 40 unless I drive like a grandma until then. 2nd isn't much better, exceeding about 50% acceleration means I'm redlining and wheelspinning until I hit 80.

I'll double check and make sure I didn't download some crap tune package, but I'd like to learn how to tune what, and why, in general and not just for the SRT10

edit: Yeah there was some third party tune applied that put it in the X class.

and in other news I just yoinked a drift boost Ford Focus HE for 260k.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 13, 2016

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

ethanol posted:

It annoys me that I bought the f6 ultimate edition but I have to pay $19 for this Nurburgring + Cars for apex :argh:

It annoys me as well. How can they loving justify that outside of straight up greed?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought every single bit of DLC for Forza 6.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I paid $99 for FH3 and I can't drive hypercars worth a poo poo, especially with a manual gearbox :v:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Hexenritter posted:

I paid $99 for FH3 and I can't drive hypercars worth a poo poo, especially with a manual gearbox :v:

My fave Class is C and B. It's much more fun racing when everyone is going slow :shobon:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ak Gara posted:

My fave Class is C and B. It's much more fun racing when everyone is going slow :shobon:

Yeah I've actually had the most fun with B, C and D class vehicles so far. I think partly it's because the handling for my car seems to sit more around the same as the drivatars, whereas in the higher classes I can gently brake just a little at the same part of a curve's entry as every other car but they all somehow manage a tighter turn radius and much faster post-apex recovery, even if they're in the exact same car.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Ak Gara posted:

The ai makes better decisions at lower speeds it seems like, it definitely feels like its better racing. The road or the physics sometimes get weird for a sec at really high speeds and it just gives you a pass on large bumps and dips so the physics must be fudged quite a bit. Part of my brain instinctively wants to slow down for stuff like that so i cant enjoy it as much.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I'm a little surprised myself that I often end up on the top of the goon club leaderboards. I don't try to pick the perfect car for every track and tune every car to the limit, or try to do perfect laps where I memorise every braking point for every single corner. I just try to go fast. I would love if others just tried to go fast too and tried to fight me.

Please fight me.

Please.

Best regards,
Muttering Hobo
Already on it!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I managed to snag an F355 for 19,000 at the auction house!

...Turns out to be really disappointing. For the same A800 it has almost half the power with more weight and less grip than my other cars. The PI system is weird. :(

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Interesting that snow tires are pretty much required to be competitive (unlike rally tires for offroad in OG Horizon). But if you leave them off then it kinda negates Horizon's extra grip and drives sorta realistic :v:.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

This is pretty fun!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is there a lot of rally content?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The DLC gave me a free S1 Quattro, which was super nice of them.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Please fight me.

Please.

Best regards,
Muttering Hobo

What tracks and class? I need a challenge to get me back into FH

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Did they fix the ai?

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

geeves posted:

What tracks and class? I need a challenge to get me back into FH

I've done nearly all the circuits in D to A class. Not so many of the point-to-point races, or the cross-country races.

And of course now that Blizzard Mountain is out, I'll probably do a lot of its races too. I love rally cars.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
True to form, I've kept my tuned car collection between D-A class. A few D. More C. A few more B. Then a ton of A class. I have a couple tuned S1 cars. That's about it. I don't bother with S2 or X, because this game allows me not to.

Looking at my garage it's heavily A-Class, mostly (but not all) AWD, with a lot less PI spent on tire compound but I at least widen the tires and lighten the higher class cars. It's been fun for both career stuff and online, too.

Not sure what I'll think of the expansion, but WTF I bought the expansion pass so keep it coming. I hope there's room for some mid-class racing in there, and not all S2 screaming about.

If snow tires are required, how much do they affect PI? Or are they not really required? (The blurbs in the marketing stress snow tires.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Dr. Faustus posted:

If snow tires are required, how much do they affect PI? Or are they not really required? (The blurbs in the marketing stress snow tires.)

I just fitted snow tyres on the Renault 5 Turbo. It went from C 519 to B 680ish. I haven't tried any of the snow races without snow tyres yet.

• Locked thread