Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
They are going to have a tough time writing squadmates this time around. They need to have each council race represented on the squad, but if they only have 1 token turian she immediately gets compared to Garrus, 1 token asari to Liara, etc. My bet is to avoid those comparisons they are going to go overboard trying to challenge our preconceptions of each race.

So instead of ME3's calm, thoughful Liara, we get roflcopter gigglesquee PeeBee; lady Garrus will be a tortured artist forced to serve in the military; and we'll have a lazy salarian with a southern drawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Despite the awkward trailer, I'm still so gosh darn excited for this game. I strongly suspect that even if it's flawed, there'll be enough really good stuff to make it enjoyable.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Southern Salarian sounds legit good to me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Android Blues posted:

Despite the awkward trailer, I'm still so gosh darn excited for this game. I strongly suspect that even if it's flawed, there'll be enough really good stuff to make it enjoyable.

Even just DA:I with fun combat would be a decent time waster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nevets posted:

They are going to have a tough time writing squadmates this time around. They need to have each council race represented on the squad, but if they only have 1 token turian she immediately gets compared to Garrus, 1 token asari to Liara, etc. My bet is to avoid those comparisons they are going to go overboard trying to challenge our preconceptions of each race.

So instead of ME3's calm, thoughful Liara, we get roflcopter gigglesquee PeeBee; lady Garrus will be a tortured artist forced to serve in the military; and we'll have a lazy salarian with a southern drawl.

Don't forget how each and every character somehow knows Liara + Garrus + Wrex despite living in a galaxy of trillions.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

exquisite tea posted:

Don't forget how each and every character somehow knows Liara + Garrus + Wrex despite living in a galaxy of trillions.

Hi it's me, Cullen, I'm here to be a part of the plot no matter how little sense it makes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There were no plans to have Cullen play such a large role in Inquisition until they found out how popular he was with female Bioware fans despite having like ten lines of dialogue across the first two games, at which point they even wrote him in as a romance option. What I'm trying to say here is that we're all hosed.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

exquisite tea posted:

I still think Vetra is going to be Garrus' "reach and flexibility" partner

I got a lotta love for BioWare but that's exactly the kind of thing they'd do

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hi it's me, Cullen, I'm here to be a part of the plot no matter how little sense it makes.

"Greetings Pathfinder, my name is Cullen from the planet Dragon Age!"

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Hello Ryder my name's Colon, I'm from Uranus

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Nevets posted:

So instead of ME3's calm, thoughful Liara, we get roflcopter gigglesquee PeeBee

Oh good, Sera in space

I know who's staying on the ship

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Hello Ryder my name's Colon, I'm from Uranus

lol

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the twist is that youre a robot and the ai was you all along

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

There were no plans to have Cullen play such a large role in Inquisition until they found out how popular he was with female Bioware fans despite having like ten lines of dialogue across the first two games, at which point they even wrote him in as a romance option. What I'm trying to say here is that we're all hosed.

Nah, it's actually cool because we got an interesting story of a well-meaning Templar who saw the worst of Mages in Origins, then that fear turned into hatred and it blinds him to the worst of the Templars in 2 until the city exploded and his superior turned into a anime, then found his true calling and started his path to redemption as Commander in Inquisition. It also plays into how much of a gently caress up the Chantry is when he goes cold turkey on the blue stuff they feed to the Templars to make them addicted and dependent on the Chantry, another aspect of how he Chantry keeps a tight hold on the people.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 13, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zzulu posted:

the twist is that youre a robot and the ai was you all along

im the robot

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
death to robots can't wait to treat SAM like poo poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

Nah, it's actually cool because we got an interesting story of a well-meaning Templar who saw the worst of Mages in Origins, then that fear turned into hatred and it blinds him to the worst of the Templars in 2 until the city exploded and his superior turned into a anime, then found his true calling and started his path to redemption as Commander in Inquisition. It also plays into how much of a gently caress up the Chantry is when he goes cold turkey on the blue stuff they feed to the Templars to make them addicted and dependent on the Chantry, another aspect of how he Chantry keeps a tight hold on the people.

I don't think Cullen is a bad character, in fact his arc ended up being pretty interesting. I just think it's funny that in true Bioware fashion, fuckability was the most important consideration above all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is DA:I one of those Bioware games where the system just FLIPS OUT if you don't try to romance anyone?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Chomp8645 posted:

Is DA:I one of those Bioware games where the system just FLIPS OUT if you don't try to romance anyone?

I'm pretty sure they force a romance on to you in one of the DLCs if you didn't romance anyone.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think Cullen is a bad character, in fact his arc ended up being pretty interesting. I just think it's funny that in true Bioware fashion, fuckability was the most important consideration above all.

But they still made an interesting story even if players wanted him in mainly to romance ,so I don't think Andromeda is going to be terrible.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Vichan posted:

I'm pretty sure they force a romance on to you in one of the DLCs if you didn't romance anyone.

I don't think that's the case?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

I think there are flirty speech options for just about every major character in the game but not all of them will be interested in the Inquisitor. If you're a female elf you get to gently caress almost everybody though.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

My character was making conversation with the gay mage dude and out of nowhere he starts hitting on me and, my character not being gay, and me also not wanting to play a Japanese dating simulator, politely declined. He had a hugely negative reaction and there were basically no more dialogue options for the rest of the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poisonpill posted:

My character was making conversation with the gay mage dude and out of nowhere he starts hitting on me and, my character not being gay, and me also not wanting to play a Japanese dating simulator, politely declined. He had a hugely negative reaction and there were basically no more dialogue options for the rest of the game.

lol BIOWARE.

My favorite was the romance algorithms flipping out in TOR. You could make ONE single "heart" choice and then never again and 30 hours later you get some NPC going "aren't you an X character a thing" about someone you may not even remember.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The one I remember the most is Alistair glomming all over your female Warden for the entirety of the game if you were just nice to people in general. Bioware really wants you to have virtual sex with their characters.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

poisonpill posted:

Lol this doesn't happen, you probably flirted with him a bunch and then broke his heart once you gay panicked

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's very possible for Dorian to dislike you for the remainder of the game if you (rightfully, awesomely) choose to Tranquil the bad venatori dude early on, thus locking you out of further dialogue + personal quest.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol this doesn't happen, you probably flirted with him a bunch and then broke his heart once you gay panicked

:eyepop:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I want to play a game like mass effect and dragon age where I'm the bad guy and I get to go around recruiting the worst people in the world for my team of villains

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

I want to play a game like mass effect and dragon age where I'm the bad guy and I get to go around recruiting the worst people in the world for my team of villains

I haven't played Tyranny yet but isn't that basically the premise?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
well its an isometric rpg with no voices so not really what I mean when I compare it to mass effect

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All I want is for the whole "ancient precursors and inevitably some kind of evil that awakens" plot not to be the main show. Going off to explore a new galaxy, navigate relationships with new species, and find a new home for the Citadel species is plenty for a really good plot hook, but I know how BioWare does. It's like how, in Inquisition, stopping the Mage/Templar war was a perfectly good plot hook that got "resolved" like 20% of the way through the game and thrown away in favor of "super powerful bad guy threatens Thedas!!!!!!"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Harrow posted:

All I want is for the whole "ancient precursors and inevitably some kind of evil that awakens" plot not to be the main show. Going off to explore a new galaxy, navigate relationships with new species, and find a new home for the Citadel species is plenty for a really good plot hook, but I know how BioWare does. It's like how, in Inquisition, stopping the Mage/Templar war was a perfectly good plot hook that got "resolved" like 20% of the way through the game and thrown away in favor of "super powerful bad guy threatens Thedas!!!!!!"

have u played Dragon Age 2

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, it had its own problems, sadly. Its second act was the best one, story-wise. I wish it hadn't been such a chore to actually play. I still can't get over the fact that they had exactly one cave map that they copy/pasted for every single cave you went to outside of the Deep Roads.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
We'll probably get a Saren type character as the antagonist, someone who wants to actively resist the new races entering the galaxy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Get hype for TrumpQuest in 2017.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It is unfortunate that the only Bioware game in recent memory to not put the fate of the world/galaxy on the line was also the absolute worst Bioware game in recent memory.

They probably took a lot of the criticism of the writing as a sign that people don't like "small" plots.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

:captainpop:

:gay:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Zzulu posted:

We'll probably get a Saren type character as the antagonist, someone who wants to actively resist the new races entering the galaxy

It's probably that alien/Kett with the hoop head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

They probably took a lot of the criticism of the writing as a sign that people don't like "small" plots.

I think they totally got that message for Inquisition because despite there being a potential world-ending threat in Corypheus, he's only scary for the first third of the game or so after which point you begin wiping the floor with him and are free to do whatever with no overall sense of urgency.