Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Eurogamer was contacted by a current employee of Crytek's main office in Frankfurt, who said staff there had not been paid for two months, and pay over the previous five months had been delayed by up to four weeks.

quote:

The source accused Crytek's embattled founders, brothers Cevat and Avni Yerli of failing to communicate properly with the company's increasingly angry workforce.

quote:

The source said the current belief is that Crytek has simply run out of cash, and while management are working on new deals, a rescue plan is taking longer than expected.

quote:

One source told Eurogamer staff aren't even sure if Cevat's still with the company, as he hasn't been seen in employee update meetings for months. His brother, Avni, has been the primary point of contact.

quote:

Crytek PR people have so far failed to respond to Eurogamer's request for comment.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-13-crytek-once-again-in-crisis

Seems like they are going down on the quick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Who would have thought something to do with video games is handled irresponsibly by manchildren.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

A whole company of people who are willing to work for free for months and the best scam they could come up with was "we're making a video game"?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
What is crytek?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

nobody cares because the talent left in 2014, http://www.pcgamer.com/cryteks-principal-rd-graphics-engineer-departs-for-id-software/
(and he is one of the people that made Doom 2016 really awesome, so it all worked out in the end)

I'm surprised anyone still works at Crytek at all, it sounds like they've been in the same situation since 2013

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Crikey

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

guy can't be trusted

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

satanic splash-back posted:

A whole company of people who are willing to work for free for months and the best scam they could come up with was "we're making a video game"?

I've let a pay period slide a couple times in the past, but once you miss two payrolls in a row I don't work for you anymore. Goddamn the games industry fleeces its employees.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'm surprised anyone still works at Crytek at all, it sounds like they've been in the same situation since 2013
Yeah, after basically being broke the first time two years ago, you think everyone would have taken off after the CEO both denied that they desperately needed the money despite selling assets left and right and also suggested his workers were impatient whiners for not getting paid for weeks.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
For a minute I started worrying about Cyberpunk 2077 but then I remembered thats CD Projekt Red.

Crytek dead. so what

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
begun, the tek wars have

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
wait gently caress these guys make the Farcry series? holy poo poo this is bad that is like the best game series ever gently caress gently caress gently caress we need Farcry :sigh::sigh::sigh:

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Nooner posted:

wait gently caress these guys make the Farcry series? holy poo poo this is bad that is like the best game series ever gently caress gently caress gently caress we need Farcry :sigh::sigh::sigh:

They only made the first one and crysis. Nothing to see here folks

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol, Star Citizen uses an engine that'll likely end up not having official development support anymore

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fabricated posted:

lol, Star Citizen uses an engine that'll likely end up not having official development support anymore

Should have went with Unreal or Unity, Chris.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Fabricated posted:

They poached a lot of their engine developers right? Though I'm not sure how many of the good ones went over.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

this is when you start taking things
if you delay then an auditor will come by and you wont be able to take it anymore

like an escape from a sinking ship, you have to grab and go, not think.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CryTek has always had problems. Just before FarCry came out they were raided for using pirated software.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

well they gave us far cry 1 and cyrsis 1 before the incompetents at the top ruined the company and its games. thanks for that, at least.

for a time they had the most talented 3d engine developers on the planet.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Fabricated posted:

It's a scam game engine for a scam game, it's a perfect fit!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

TheAsterite posted:

They only made the first one and crysis. Nothing to see here folks

oh, well gently caress it nm then lol

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

revmoo posted:

I've let a pay period slide a couple times in the past, but once you miss two payrolls in a row I don't work for you anymore. Goddamn the games industry fleeces its employees.

The first time someone misses payroll, you continue to come into the office and search for other jobs. Your job is to work, theirs is to pay. If they don't pay, you don't work. I will never understand how people can accept a company not keeping up their side of the contract.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Enderzero posted:

The first time someone misses payroll, you continue to come into the office and search for other jobs. Your job is to work, theirs is to pay. If they don't pay, you don't work. I will never understand how people can accept a company not keeping up their side of the contract.
if they believed in the company and what it does and wanted to see it succeeded?

edit:
that doesn't excuse this case though, crytek has been dead/dying since they released crysis 2, and that was a long time ago.

Prettz fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 13, 2016

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

kuddles posted:

Yeah, after basically being broke the first time two years ago, you think everyone would have taken off after the CEO both denied that they desperately needed the money despite selling assets left and right and also suggested his workers were impatient whiners for not getting paid for weeks.

gently caress I forgot about that article :lol:

quote:

...it's surprising at times how he brushes off concerns that Crytek was in trouble. Employees weren't being paid on time because of a "diminished capital resource" caused by the shift to free-to-play, he said, not because of any underlying structural problems with the company; he also claimed shock that "some people were very impatient and got angry at the smallest delay" in their paychecks.

"I was surprised and upset a little bit that the intention of us keeping together everybody upset a few of them. But I understand that situation," he said. "Some people live in very tight financial planning. That's their own privacy. They can do whatever they want. Those guys, when they get under pressure it can become emotional. We tried to individually help out. Like if somebody gets in trouble they can talk to us directly so they don't get under pressure. We tried whatever we could do. But you can't make it right for everybody."

"These rear end in a top hat employees of mine keep getting emotional when I don't pay them, wtf?!"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Prettz posted:

if they believed in the company and what it does and wanted to see it succeeded?

I think it all depends on whether or not you are employed "at will", aka "at our mercy"

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Enderzero posted:

In my case the company's excuses where that someone just hosed up paperwork. Now I don't buy that poo poo for a second, but I'm also not going to call their bluff on something like that until I know for sure it's time to exit.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
is it AMD compatible?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What was the last thing they made? The first Star Citizen trailer and that god awful Roman Gears of War for the Bone?
They hosed.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Prettz posted:

edit:
that doesn't excuse this case though, crytek has been dead/dying since they released crysis 2, and that was a long time ago.

If you believe in a company you have far bigger issues to deal with. Companies push the concept of loyalty and family solely because it benefits them - when it no longer makes financial sense to employ you, you're gone. Your first job is to look out for yourself. If you break your employment contract, they will fire you. If they break the employment contract, uhhhh just keep working and hope for the best? Nearly every company that misses payroll (for reasons other than something went wrong with the process, it'll just be delayed a few days) is going to go under. You have to accept that fact and find a new job but most importantly stop working. That's straight up wage theft.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

revmoo posted:

In my case the company's excuses where that someone just hosed up paperwork. Now I don't buy that poo poo for a second, but I'm also not going to call their bluff on something like that until I know for sure it's time to exit.

Unless they have a plan to get the money to you before the next payday, it's time to exit. Don't ignore this red flag or you'll regret it because you won't get those wages back if they go under - any money left is going to creditors first.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Pfft. Canada has over 80,000 government employees with pay problems, including some that haven't been paid in almost a year.

Not paying employees is just a new way that businesses are saving money.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

r u ready to WALK posted:

nobody cares because the talent left in 2014, http://www.pcgamer.com/cryteks-principal-rd-graphics-engineer-departs-for-id-software/
(and he is one of the people that made Doom 2016 really awesome, so it all worked out in the end)

Do4m sucks though...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The video games industry. Long hours, low relative pay, no job security, absurd conditions but hey at least the boss will never expect you to ~adult~

I mean hell care probably gets it worse but at least they're helping people

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Prettz posted:

edit:

Believe in one hand and poo poo in the other. See which hand gets filled first.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

Believe in one hand and poo poo in the other. See which hand gets filled first.

gross now I'm imagining a big turd in my hand gently caress you

Mr Tall
May 6, 2009

Enderzero posted:

^^ This.

I learned the hard way - small games startup, everything was great for 9-10 months, then payroll was two weeks late, then three weeks, then longer month after month as the owner conned various people into "investing" in the company.

Massive torrents of bullshit from the owner, kept stringing people along as long as he could. "Come on guys, get the game finished and we'll be fine, we're all in this together" etc.

I was in the lucky position of having poo poo tons of cash in the bank (just sold a house), so was OK, but others I worked with weren't. It loving sucked seeing people crying in the office because they couldn't pay their rent, then seeing the shitlord owner drive off home in his £60k car. Or more often, just not even face the music in the office, and leave it to some other poor bastard to pass on the news.

My rule now is: No pay, no work.

Soral
May 30, 2009

sounds like working in the games industry was a far cry from what they were expecting, op.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
10 years later and not even Crytek can run Crysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Crykey

• Locked thread