Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jamsque posted:

Can anyone offer any pointers on the "repeatable" Byzantium strategies mentioned on the last page? I have had some luck getting in with Albania and Hungary against Otto, I can see how that could lead to good things, but Venice always jumps on me or Albania at some point (often before I'm even fighting the Ottomans at all) and I have never been able to hold off the attack from both sides, let alone win provinces in a peace deal.

The new strat is to no-CB Candar and annex them. During the war with Candar improve relations with Mamluks, and your soon to be Allies Poland, Hungary or Austria. But DO NOT ALLY THEM YET. Peg the opinion. After the war ends start insulting all of the Turkish minors who will enter into a coalition against you. Since Ottomans have warned them all they'll suicide themselves on the Ottomans while you hang back. Once the armies are trashed you siege the coasts and annex them in the defensive war. After this you ally with Hungary and others and wardec on Ottomans for your cores. If you don't improve opinion with Mamluks during the initial war they'll also join the coalition.

There are varying opinions on whether you want to have Mamluks join that defensive war. If Mamluks join the Ottomans will be smote by a loving zerg of people and probably lose some provinces or have them released. If you improve you have the chance of annexing more land from the Turkish minors. It's a tossup for sure. Both options have their benefits and detractions, the goal of it all is to strip the Ottomans of manpower for when you go for the cores.

If you do this entire thing properly you could have all of the Cores, Balkans, and the Anatolian minors annexed by 1460.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That sounds extremely EU4 and I wanna try it before it gets nerfed somehow.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
that strategy is so convoluted and specific, i love it

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

YouTuber posted:

The new strat is to no-CB Candar and annex them. During the war with Candar improve relations with Mamluks, and your soon to be Allies Poland, Hungary or Austria. But DO NOT ALLY THEM YET. Peg the opinion. After the war ends start insulting all of the Turkish minors who will enter into a coalition against you. Since Ottomans have warned them all they'll suicide themselves on the Ottomans while you hang back. Once the armies are trashed you siege the coasts and annex them in the defensive war. After this you ally with Hungary and others and wardec on Ottomans for your cores. If you don't improve opinion with Mamluks during the initial war they'll also join the coalition.

There are varying opinions on whether you want to have Mamluks join that defensive war. If Mamluks join the Ottomans will be smote by a loving zerg of people and probably lose some provinces or have them released. If you improve you have the chance of annexing more land from the Turkish minors. It's a tossup for sure. Both options have their benefits and detractions, the goal of it all is to strip the Ottomans of manpower for when you go for the cores.

If you do this entire thing properly you could have all of the Cores, Balkans, and the Anatolian minors annexed by 1460.

:golfclap:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Koramei posted:

that strategy is so convoluted and specific, i love it

Convoluted? I think the word you're looking for is... byzantine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Overextension will loving murder you with that strat.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I tried the Candar thing but the Ottomans didn't bother warning anyone in the coalition, so I got hosed by the huge coalition with no support

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ack, if you start as a minor Buddhist power, check out your options for converting before you get huge. I just realised I could have had morale of armies +10% or idea costs -10% the whole game instead of reduced advisor costs and now my empire is too huge for converting not to be a huge pain. Goddamit.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

QuarkJets posted:

I tried the Candar thing but the Ottomans didn't bother warning anyone in the coalition, so I got hosed by the huge coalition with no support

First try, Crimea joined coalition and war dec'd me so it avoided the Warning.

Second try, Ottomans invaded Dulkadir when I was grabbing Candar, preventing a coalition from forming.

Third try, Ottomans declared on me right after I got a good coalition formed against me.

Fourth try, Crimea snuck into the coalition again, declared on me, then the Ottomans did too.

No luck so far!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Youtuber totally made that strat up and trolled you guys into trying to make it work

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'll be honest, if that isn't the appeal of the people trying it, I'm prepared to be very disappointed.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I found that Ethopia very much depends on how fast the Ottos get to the Mameluks. If the beeline for Egypt you're mostly screwed. The distant borders penalty will stop you from getting allies and taking too many Egyptian provinces will have them starting a coalition.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New dev diary solves the mystery: we now have ages in EU4.

quote:

Hello everyone and welcome to yet another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Today we’ll talk about the biggest feature of our next expansion. A system we called “Ages of Europa Universalis”.

The game is now divided into 4 separate ages, where different rules apply in each age. Each age also have objectives you can fulfill, and abilities you can use use.

Age of Discovery => 1400 -1530
Age of Reformation => 1530 - 1620
Age of Absolutism => 1620 - 1710
Age of Revolutions => 1710-1821

Each age have seven objectives that can be fulfilled, and if they are fulfilled, you gain +3 power-projection as well as 3 splendor each month.

Now you may ask? What is splendor then? Well.. Splendor is the age specific currency you use to purchase abilities. There are seven abilities in each age that each country can purchase, and there is also four unique abilities in each age, where countries that historically were powerful in that age can unlock a special ability.

Whenever a new Age arrives, you power projection from objectives start decaying, and you now lose all the abilities you purchased in the previous age.

Today we’ll take a look at the Age of Discovery, which is the first Age.

(there's a picture here in the Dev Diary)

Rules

Religious Rules are valid. (Previously before 1650)
Peasants War, Castilian Civil War, War of the Roses can only happen in this Age.

Objectives

Capital in old world, discover Americas
Own Territory on two continents
Embrace Renaissance and keep it in all state provinces.
Own a 30+ development city
Own 5 Centers of Trade
Have at least 2 personal unions.
Humiliate a Rival

Abilities

Allow Edict “Feudal De Jure Law”
Transfer vassal wargoal
Create a claim bordering claims
50% longer lasting claims.
Explorers & Conquistadors do not cost maintenance while on missions.
Finished colonies gets +1 random development.
Gain +1 attack bonus in your capital's terrain type
Ottomans : +33% Siege Ability
Portugal : +50 colonial growth
Denmark : 30 less liberty desire in subjects.
Venice : +50% Trade Power from Ships

Another cool concept we have related to the Age mechanics is the Golden Era. A golden era can be started once per game for a country, as soon as you have fulfilled 3 objectives in an Age, and lasts for 50 years.

A golden age gives you 10% cheaper costs for anything you spend monarch power on, your land and naval morale increase by 10%, and you produce 10% more goods.

The free patch keeps track of which age the game is in, and uses it for triggers for disasters and events.

More talents! EU4 is basically an RPG now.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 13, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It can be all kinds of railroady, though!

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Rehosted picture of the objectives for the curious:

Humiliate a Rival has the best icon.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Just noticed the sailors UI is still there. :argh: Johan!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

THE BAR posted:

It can be all kinds of railroady, though!

Yeah, I hope you can just fulfill a couple of those and get the full reward instead of being forced to complete them all or miss out.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Elman posted:

Yeah, I hope you can just fulfill a couple of those and get the full reward instead of being forced to complete them all or miss out.

I believe you get a passive tick, as well. But yeah, it sounds to me that you're supposed to really gun for it, if you want to pop your golden age, as your points don't transfer to the next age.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Not a fan of that feature

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Elman posted:

It's 3 objectives for the golden age, or all objectives for +3PP/month and +3splendor/month. Just the passive PP bonus is huge, imho. What's the normal decay on PP?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

canepazzo posted:

New dev diary solves the mystery: we now have ages in EU4.

More talents! EU4 is basically an RPG now.
Meh, I'll pass again.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Since certain countries get bonuses in certain ages I think now is the time to finally get rid of Lucky Nations.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 13, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

canepazzo posted:

It's 3 objectives for the golden age, or all objectives for +3PP/month and +3splendor/month. Just the passive PP bonus is huge, imho. What's the normal decay on PP?

Actually in the screenshot they're already getting the +3 Splendor with only 1 objective. So maybe you only need 1 for that, 3 for the golden age, and accomplishing all of them doesn't do anything extra? That sounds pretty good.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Good to see more solid objectives to make things more interesting.

Baron Porkface posted:

Since certain countries get bonuses in certain ages I think now is the time to finally get rid of Lucky Nations.

You do know you can just shut those off, right?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Baron Porkface posted:

Oh god yes please.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

AnoHito posted:

Good to see more solid objectives to make things more interesting.

You do know you can just shut those off, right?

Not for ironman games you can't.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Sounds great, especially because it sounds like there is a lot more to it:

quote:

I think it would be nice if more of the game's mechanics really varied between the ages as well.

Johan posted:

Oh yes, there will be quite alot of difference there.

Also, please make it so the cosmetic DLC replaces all the boring line drawing event pictures with nice color paintings like the one in that diary and like CKII has. :pray:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elman posted:

Actually in the screenshot they're already getting the +3 Splendor with only 1 objective. So maybe you only need 1 for that, 3 for the golden age, and accomplishing all of them doesn't do anything extra? That sounds pretty good.

My reading is the 3PP and 3 splendor/month is per-objective. So if you complete 3 of them, you get the golden age, 9PP, and 9 splendor/month.

Also the PP is a flat value during the age (same way embargoing rivals works), and starts ticking down once the world moves to the next age.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

This seems like a pretty cool addition to the game. Hopefully they take the next step of scrapping the old bookmark system and creating new ones based around each Age, with new DHEs and achievements for each one.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Koramei posted:

Not a fan of that feature

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Meh, I'll pass again.

Yeah, adding more objectives for players is cool but I would really like Paradox to tweak existing mechanics rather than adding whole new ones. The last thing EU4 needs right now is more complex systems and UI elements.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Why not link the dates to institutions, or the reformation- triggers already in the game, rather than arbitrary dates. Why is it only select countries that get these bonuses? Is there a reason you couldn't have it so the first country to claim the 50 settlers is the one to get it instead of Portugal every time? In most games it'd default to Portugal, but there's no reason to railroad it so much. Scandinavia already functions fine, do we really need a slot specifically for Sweden's liberty desire?

Plus it's a paid feature so I don't see how they can integrate this properly into the game. It just feels like another layer of incredible bloat.

Fintilgin posted:

Also, please make it so the cosmetic DLC replaces all the boring line drawing event pictures with nice color paintings like the one in that diary and like CKII has. :pray:

replacing every single event picture with rendered drawings would take 1000 hours of work just fyi. It's the same reason I really don't want monarch pictures.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I do sort of agree on locking bonuses to specific nations is a touch frustrating. Like, why can't I buy bonus settler growth as England (or Japan or Genoa or...) if I get there first? I mean, I get the theme, but it's sad to have 'Cool Button on UI You Can't Press' because you're not a specific tag.

Koramei posted:

replacing every single event picture with rendered drawings would take 1000 hours of work just fyi. It's the same reason I really don't want monarch pictures.

But CKII has color pictures and they're awesome. I thought I was being reasonable and not asking for 4 different sets of color pics, one for each era.

/whiny baby voice

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 13, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I did it. I loving did it :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpUv0Snotw0

I was really worried for a while there, I got coalitioned too hard and even though I'd spam troops to get them to drop it they got really annoying soon, and slowed down my expansion in India. I killed Spain and England early on but their colonies broke free so I didn't finish them off. Turns out leaving England alive was a terrible decision since they moved their capital to the Pacific and started colonizing every island they could (sieging all those forts later was annoying). I should've allied France while eating those two. That would've allowed me to eat through their land a lot faster and maybe even conquer them before their CNs left. Trucebreaks would've been best though.

Not taking the CNs was lovely cause I ended up conquering America in just 100 years, which led to crazy overextension in my Mexican CN:

These fuckers revolted every other month and they wouldn't even get the -100 unrest from recent rebellion (not sure why) so unrest stayed in the 30s-50s everywhere and I had to park 150k units there just to keep the rebels down.

Also as I posted earlier, the Enlightenment showed up in Indonesia:

At the time I had no idea Universities helped it spread, so I had to wait 37 years till it spread to my land (I developed a little to speed things up, but it was slow cause I was only willing to use military points) even though I conquered Buton and most of Europe already had it. I didn't mind this too much since I spent my admin and diplo on expansion anyway, but it proved super annoying when I decided to fight End Boss Brandenburg while I was a couple mil tech levels behind. You see, I disbanded the HRE around 1680 and this allowed Brandenburg to blob hard, and by the time I was forced to fight them my troops' morale bar would instantly drop to 50% the moment they got attacked. It was easy enough to solve with 10x times their manpower though:

By the time I finally embraced the Enlightenment I had to spend 15 years doing nothing but feeding my vassals and client states so I'd catch up in admin tech and unlock the last level of admin efficiency (I figured at that point it was worth it). That's why I couldn't one-tag, my last vassal survived with just 5 years left on their annexation :arghfist:

Also featuring Brazilian Brazil:

It would've been a lot easier if I took Religious ideas instead of Humanism, that's for sure (I went Influence->Admin->Humanism->Diplo->Quality->Quantity). Fabricating claims all the time and bleeding diplo points every war got old really fast. Same with hunting tiny islands in the Pacific: I almost forgot Ryukyu, and Korea managed to survive getting annexed the first time cause I didn't see that tiny island directly south from them.

All in all though, this was actually fun. I definitely won't be doing something like it for a while though :shobon:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Now go get the one for doing it as Ryukyu.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hrm, yeah that new Age stuff could be kind of neat, but it sort of feels like a feature too far at this point. I'm really digging where 1.19 is though so I have no problem sticking with it if the new features just end up feeling like bloat.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I like the basic concept of ages, in terms of the rules changing over time - this is already something that EU4 does in other ways, mostly through tech (e.g. shifting army compositions & fort effectiveness), and expanding on that could help games feel distinctive and different as you go from age to age. It'd be nice if, for example, mercenaries faded out as you approach the end-game - that's a bit unfortunate if you chose admin ideas, but admin ideas have been the strongest group in the game for a long time (in SP), so I don't mind them getting a nerf!

Not sure about the specifics - as other people pointed out, stuff like -liberty desire for Danish subjects feels off, especially since Scandanavia is finally in a decent place right now - but that can be ironed out. And I am concerned about feature bloat, but EU4's been pretty bloated for a long time now. How much more can it hurt?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I think it could potentially be good, I just don't like how it isn't interacting with other things already in the game, and that's compounded by it being a paid feature. They could potentially add all sorts of huge changes for eras as the game progresses that'd be great, but... not if they also have to balance the game without those being in place. They could have just done changes for eras based around the institutions instead, and given the institutions a bigger slot on the UI instead of this whole disconnected feature. That way they could have had the game changing as it progresses for a free patch and then the whole PP, majesty etc as the paid thing, which'd be alright.

On reflection the potential of having dynamic lucky nations of a sort sounds pretty good though, with nations getting specific bonuses at specific eras. I don't really feel like Denmark or Venice warrant that, but hey, they can change that, you're right.

edit:

alright I'm being unfair about that last thing, these seem like alright choices

Koramei fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 10, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Koramei posted:

They could potentially add all sorts of huge changes for eras as the game progresses that'd be great, but... not if they also have to balance the game without those being in place. change that, you're right.

My guess is the big rule changes for eras will be a patch feature, and the golden age/splendor stuff is a paid bonus.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Yay, more modifiers to put on top of other modifiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kulkasha posted:

Yay, more modifiers to put on top of other modifiers
Exactly. Give me paid features for upgrades to existing systems!

I would love to pay for better Random New World tiles, or more/better ways to interact with my estates or corruption.

• Locked thread