Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

well why not posted:

It's a bit of a mystery, still. I've seen it attributed to his dislike of endorsements, some scientology BS, control freak tendencies and simply not being OK with being 'controlled' by strangers.

These seem at odds with one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

LawfulWaffle posted:

He only likes being controlled by people who he has paid millions of dollars too.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

LawfulWaffle posted:

They're not strangers though, they're his cult/church.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I think it has more to do with the fact that if he allows his likeness to be used, they can get in short jokes at his expense. Great pains are taken in his movies to hide the fact that he's below average height at 5'7".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beaten Pitfall - holy poo poo that Demon Jaguar fight is super difficult. He's really fast, you have no time to drink water to heal, he has the maximum health of 10 blocks while I only had 9 (Because I didn't finish the Shaman Shop) and the ring of fire limits your movement. When I got it down it was fun and satisfying to do though, everytime I dodged and countered successfully I kinda felt like a badass. Also I do like that the final boss is really easy - the Jaguar was bad enough, I don't mind when another phase is easy on balance. I honestly prefer easier final bosses because often I go for them when getting frustrated with something hard that I don't want to bother with. An easy final boss allows me to just beat the game and not worry too much about it (To an extent, this one was a bit too easy).

Cute ending though :3:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like that FE: Fates decided to drop weapon durability so you can basically use whatever without worrying about them breaking if you're playing on Casual or Phoenix. Oh, and also all the joke weapons.

No longer must you fear shattering your swords as you draw enemies closer to you. You can use the mighty Daikon Radish as much as you want!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yeah but that's counterbalanced by the fact that the more you use the "better" weapons the more of a stat drop you'll have.

So if you're not careful and overuse the Silver Weapons, you'll eventually be doing no damage to the enemies while they will basically one shot you because your skill be lowered to such a point that crits are basically guaranteed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
To celebrate the release of the final Doom 2016 documentary episode by Noclip, here's one of the cuter details in the game:

Picking up the collectible Doomguy toys shows an animation of the Doom Marine examining them closely. However, that funny little easter egg where he plays with one and fistbumps it? He only does that to the Doomguy painted in his current color scheme.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
http://i.imgur.com/B5VTRiv.mp4

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is this? Guitar Hero the MMO?

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

HairyManling posted:

For that particular boss? Yes. :getin:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HairyManling posted:

That's a dungeon boss in The Secret World. That particular boss is totally just Guitar Hero, and I didn't even realize it until now.

Every dungeon boss in TSW probably counts as somebody's favorite little thing, there's so many that are so well-done. My favorite is the Soviet scientists that act as an opposing team, but also pretty far up there is fighting an eldritch hound alongside an Excalibur-wielding viking that makes everyone insanely powerful, getting a behemoth trapped in an electric fence, and a group of enemies that respawn so constantly and relentlessly that your objective isn't to win, it's to leave.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Dec 15, 2016

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
In Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, one of the characters has a little tanuki named Kuma that he can send out to lure enemies to him by making noises - which naturally lends to his use as a way to ball up guards so you can take them out with a single AoE.

If that AoE attack happens to be something ordinarily extremely lethal like, say, throwing a grenade at him, the character will go 'Kuma, I don't know how you survived that'.

(Bonus points: The character with the tanuki is the same one with the grenades.)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

I think it has more to do with the fact that if he allows his likeness to be used, they can get in short jokes at his expense. Great pains are taken in his movies to hide the fact that he's below average height at 5'7".

People say this, but it's not so true any more. In Edge Of Tomorrow, he gets dragged out of the room by some army goons and it looks like they're manhandling a toddler.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I finished The Last Guardian and for all the complaints in his AI, Trico is basically nice little things from end to end. His AI is some of the best I've seen - even though you meet him right at the start of the game and stick by him for pretty much the whole duration, it's still possible to see how he develops from basically being a stray cat who tags along because you fed it once to Best Friend Forever. He becomes distracted less easily and starts taking bigger and bigger risks of his own volition to keep the kid safe.

One of my favorite bits is a lategame part where the two of you are navigating a really structurally unsound tower, and Trico jumps onto a ledge only to have it crumble beneath him. The gate into the tower is locked, so he's left frantically scrabbling for purchase as you jump off his head and climb around the outside of the tower to unlock the gate and let him in. Once he's safely inside, he gives you the signal to jump down so he can catch you in his mouth (something he's done several times so far), and he does - only for the kid to slip out of his mouth and force him to lunge almost half his body down the wall to grab him again. You can almost see him think "OH poo poo" when he loses his grip.

Trico gets so tired of ledges collapsing under him that he starts taking bigger and bigger leaps across gaps so he lands on more solid ground. It works, for a while - and then at one point he misses his mark and smashes full-force into the wall beside the doorway. Poor catdogbird can't catch a break.

Also he paws at barrels and stuff like a bored kitten and if you stand in front of him for too long he'll either lower his big doggy head for pets or grab you and flip you up onto his back to get a move on, it's the cutest.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Started replaying Call of Pripyat and I really dig that the highest difficulty flattens the time to kill between you and the enemies. Shootouts feel tense and lethal and there's enough leeway that it doesn't get frustrating or unfair. I modded fallout NV to have a similar difficulty, so much better than bullet sponges firing into other bullet sponges.

Also the nights are really dark and while it's kind of annoying, wondering around hearing mutants growling, constantly turning to see if they're sneaking up on me while unable to see more than a couple metres ahead is really atmospheric.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Gitro posted:

Started replaying Call of Pripyat and I really dig that the highest difficulty flattens the time to kill between you and the enemies. Shootouts feel tense and lethal and there's enough leeway that it doesn't get frustrating or unfair. I modded fallout NV to have a similar difficulty, so much better than bullet sponges firing into other bullet sponges.

Also the nights are really dark and while it's kind of annoying, wondering around hearing mutants growling, constantly turning to see if they're sneaking up on me while unable to see more than a couple metres ahead is really atmospheric.

I modded the hell out of that one, so I am not sure if it was a mod or the base AI but I love the hell out of the Chimera. I was out and about at the tree that looks like a dome over a large pit, coming down off of harvesting an anomaly I spot a bandit trio walking down the road. I was neutral with them and they often carry good stuff for trading so I go to approach them when a Chimera bounds up and cuts two of them in half with a few swipes, the third panics and tries to run, towards me, I haul rear end back up the anomaly tree watching this Chimera slowly stalk the bandit who is trying to run.

Wondering why the first big mutant isn't in pursuit when out of the corner of my eye I spot a second one circling the path where the guy was going to be, it ~chased~ the dude into the other one while it picked up and dragged the first two dead dudes off. Watching all this unfold atop my safe yet heavily irradiated perch I soon get the call for a blow out (Basically a once every in a while massive radiation storm discharge that kills everything non-mutant surface side in the area.) So I was stuck up in the tree watching a pair of Chimera circling under me while a massive radiation storm kicks up. Just before the blowout hits I leap off, run for the nearest hole in the wall with them hot in pursuit and just as my health begins plummeting I make it in my hole as a massive blast of electricity smashes both chimera apart.

Storm passes and I am treated to this view.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i just reinstalled SoC on a whim and added ZRP. i'm not sure if it happens during vanilla, but the soldiers at the broken train bridge got attacked by bandits. i used that distraction as a way to flank them from behind and wiped everyone out. made off with some good weapons really early in the game.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Good story- tell more.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I played Stalker and Fallout 3 back to back, and I tell ya what, Fallout looks like dressed-up garbage in comparison. They're both buggy messes, but at least Stalker is fun and tense.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally getting around to Baten Kaitos (the first one, not origins) on the Gamecube. I like the battle system so far, but I'm really bad at it. When I fought the second boss against the Spring Serpent dude I barely won as my deck had a few too many ice things in it due to me not seeing that boss coming. It is pretty charming though in presentation, and I like the constellation map - seems like a satisfying collectible..

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Baten Kaitos owns. I never did play the sequel

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

I finished The Last Guardian and for all the complaints in his AI, Trico is basically nice little things from end to end. His AI is some of the best I've seen - even though you meet him right at the start of the game and stick by him for pretty much the whole duration, it's still possible to see how he develops from basically being a stray cat who tags along because you fed it once to Best Friend Forever. He becomes distracted less easily and starts taking bigger and bigger risks of his own volition to keep the kid safe.

One of my favorite bits is a lategame part where the two of you are navigating a really structurally unsound tower, and Trico jumps onto a ledge only to have it crumble beneath him. The gate into the tower is locked, so he's left frantically scrabbling for purchase as you jump off his head and climb around the outside of the tower to unlock the gate and let him in. Once he's safely inside, he gives you the signal to jump down so he can catch you in his mouth (something he's done several times so far), and he does - only for the kid to slip out of his mouth and force him to lunge almost half his body down the wall to grab him again. You can almost see him think "OH poo poo" when he loses his grip.

Trico gets so tired of ledges collapsing under him that he starts taking bigger and bigger leaps across gaps so he lands on more solid ground. It works, for a while - and then at one point he misses his mark and smashes full-force into the wall beside the doorway. Poor catdogbird can't catch a break.

Also he paws at barrels and stuff like a bored kitten and if you stand in front of him for too long he'll either lower his big doggy head for pets or grab you and flip you up onto his back to get a move on, it's the cutest.

The thing with the barrels is a really clever way of the AI nudging barrels into a place Trico can trigger eating them, and I love it :allears:.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He also rolls around in puddles :kimchi:

I love my giant stupid video game catte

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also whenever he catches you from a high fall with his tail, no matter how much danger he's in, he'll always quickly glance behind him to make sure you're still holding on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I understand why people hate Trico but he really is a remarkable achievement in terms of being an AI partner who feels like an actual AI partner and not a mindless thing that follows you around (which even games like The Last Of Us get wrong) or a constant hassle who needs to be rescued from the slightest danger.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

The STALKER games were great and I wish they'd make more of them, though nothing can live up to the memories of my first playthrough of Shadow of Chernobyl. I had no idea what I was doing, so for my very first playthrough I installed a giant mod pack (AMK+) cranked up the difficulty way too high and jumped in blind. It was a terrifying experience that mostly involved wandering around the Zone, watching the various NPC factions murder each other, then grabbing their loot and running like hell.

Notable memories include:

One night early on I'm chilling out at a friendly STALKER camp in the Junkyard, drinking vodka, listening to campfire songs and trying to figure out how I'm going to afford both food AND bullets. Suddenly a siren starts wailing in the distance, the sky turns red, lightning flashes and thunder rumbles, hordes of blind dogs appear on the horizon, barking at the sky and running towards us. ALL the friendly NPCs jump up and run in the same direction, ignoring the dogs. I have no idea what is going on but decide it would be best to follow. The world is shaking, I'm hauling rear end across the wasteland, chugging vodka to counteract the rising radiation levels and praying I'm not about to step into an invisible anomaly that will kill me instantly while blind mutant dogs nip at my heels, when I finally see the destination: an abandoned train car. Safety and shelter. We get to the car, haul open the door and stare across ten feet of space to see a similarly sized (and armed) group of bandits at the other door. The car isn't big enough for both groups. What follows is a very brief, very intense firefight inside a small metal box in the middle of a nuclear hellstorm. When it is over I fill my pack with bullets and food and sleep like a baby. In the morning I'll need to find more medkits and vodka.

A few days later I'm at a friendly market set up around some old soviet office park, trying to sell off enough lovely broken down guns to afford one that will actually work when I need it to. Someone screams and dies and all the NPCs go on alert. Someone else dies. Something is killing people, something invisible. It's a Bloodsucker, a roided out tentacle faced mutant that can turn invisible and soak up a LOT of bullets.

Fortunately we've got a lot of people with a lot of guns, we'll corner it and kill it and go back to our business. Two more screams, at the same time and from different directions. I revise my assessment, TWO Bloodsuckers. I find a ladder, climb onto a rooftop and hide, trying to ignore the screaming. It's difficult, since the screams last a lot longer than the gunfire. It finally grows quiet as night falls, and while I'm counting my rations and vodka to figure out how long I can stay up there I tell myself that if those fuckers can climb ladders I'm uninstalling the game.

Later on, after I've acclimated to life in the Zone, I'm stalking a couple of Freedom assholes as they carve a bloody path through the Army Warehouses. I don't have anything against the Freedom faction, but these jerks are decked out in armored exoskeletons and science fiction guns, slaughtering their way through mutants and bandits like they're the protagonists in literally any other FPS. Meanwhile I'm wearing a 3rd hand radiation suit that's more duct tape than cloth at this point, clutching a rusty AK-74 that is more likely to give me tetanus than to kill anything I point it at. It isn't fair. However if there is one thing I've learned about the Zone, it is that it hates everyone equally. If I follow these smug bastards long enough, eventually it'll be their turn. My patience is rewarded when the idiots manage to piss off a Chimera and a Pseudogiant at the same time. State of the art body armor offers little defense against a two headed mountain lion and 1500 pounds of mindless muscle. While the mutants fight over the meat, I manage to grab an exoskeleton and a gun and run. The gear is a little worse for wear, and the stains probably won't come out, but I don't care. I've finally made it big.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just remembered watching old speedrun-related vids - When I got around to playing Jak and Daxter I accidentally found a massive skip that I think was just my disk being wonky but it was equal parts hilarious and annoying - I was going for 100% and only had the Precursor Orbs in the Citadel to get, the final few in the game that you get freeing the sages. I saved it to take a break because I didn't know how long it would take or how hard it was, and a couple of days later when I reloaded, the game placed me at the top of the level and I only had to walk forward to get the scene of the final boss being unlocked. To preserve my attempt to get 100% I had to platform backwards down a level that I had absolutely no experience with right back to the beginning and platform all the way back up the intended way to break the cages and get those orbs.

My thought process was "NO game! I am at 95% you are not taking this away from me. You are going to march me right back down that level and let me play it in sequential order, drat it!"

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I really have to get on and start the Last Guardian before I get spoiled on anything. From what I hear it sounds like Trico is a bit like Agro, in that sometimes he does his own thing or ignores you if you are an rear end to him? I always found that neat in SOTC, even when it was annoying.

FFXV too, I need to start that. It is weird having to decide between Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian. And I'm still hooked on Pokemon Moon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

McDragon posted:

I really have to get on and start the Last Guardian before I get spoiled on anything. From what I hear it sounds like Trico is a bit like Agro, in that sometimes he does his own thing or ignores you if you are an rear end to him? I always found that neat in SOTC, even when it was annoying.

More or less. The difference is that you *need* Trico to do the right thing in order to progress through the game, and some people find it infuriating when it's obvious what that thing is but the game artificially prevents him from doing it for a moment in favor of a random animal-like behavior.

If you liked Agro or Ico you will probably like TLG.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

First time in this raid, how bad could I possibly d-...oh...oh god. (that was the second tank).

http://i.imgur.com/eNOOwRW.mp4

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I have absolutely no ability to parse anything happening in that gif

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
The only thing you really need to know is that the dude flying off the edge at the upper left there is their second tank and they probably needed him to complete the fight.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I have absolutely no ability to parse anything happening in that gif

shadow lugia is loving people up in kashyyk

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Feonir posted:

First time in this raid, how bad could I possibly d-...oh...oh god. (that was the second tank).

http://i.imgur.com/eNOOwRW.mp4

Jesus Christ they brought back Flappy? For context he was originally part of a countdown to the new zone that was supposed to last a month. Funcom can't code though and it lasted more like six. He was a big 40 man frame rate destroying piece of poo poo. My pro strat was unequipping everything (gently caress repair costs) and then killing myself and waiting for the respawn timer to tick. You couldn't just idle because you'd get auto booted.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

And people complain about the civ 6 UI? jesus, that is a playdoughy mess

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Efexeye posted:

And people complain about the civ 6 UI? jesus, that is a playdoughy mess

It's also a F2P MMO released half a decade ago, chill.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

IM loving CHILL, YOU CHILL

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

If you want more good PS2/Xbox shooters that were sleeper hits Metal Arms: Glitch in the System and Rogue Trooper are both awesome.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System was a really great game. It's a shame the company that made it got bought out by Activision/Blizzard to work on Starcraft: Ghost. Which uh, never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

if it's the Secret World, it's not free to play