Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Endie posted:

Yes that man on reddit who was on the same killmail as me claims that someone wrote out a killmail by hand I am entirely convinced that you are right and no machine was involved.

Now that the orb there has established "some post on reddit" as irrefutable proof and the peer-reviewed website of record I have one or two shocking truths about goons to unveil.

in the year 2016, endie, notable for his understanding of things like apis, has now also determined that "manually generated" killmail means someone used a pencil and paper, not that the killmail was generated outside the usual systems that make them, because that's just how computers work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i manually crafted that post with a pencil and paper but i did not draw out my avatar i hope thats ok

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Endie posted:

My own guess, as I said in the post you've been obsessing about ever since I dared to make the tips of your ears glow a furious, shameful red by making it ("Whether it was generated by the usual code or not, no way was it *manual"), is that the ccp stats guy did a query on damage done in that system to keepstar structures and used that to generate the killmail. Your idea that someone did it by hand, however, remains dumb: I did that for a Fountain super kill dbrb got us in goons once when the guy self-destructed: mainly because it made the target - some bloke in a bob pet - livid with fury. That took me hours to get looking convincing enough for it to stick on eve-kill.

Quick clarification, so you're saying that running a query on damage in a system for a certain time period, filtering for target of damage and using that information to create a killmail is not a manual process. What threshold of technology or effort is required to fall into this truly manual process? :iiam:

EDIT: drat it, beaten not once but twice, though the second was a shameful double post.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ahahahaha i missed endie's second post

that is peak endie, he says something super dumb and then when he realizes how dumb it was, he tries to redefine everything so actually it is you who is the dumb, how can you be so dumb as to disagree with endie

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
I'm dumb

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's a drat killmail. Yes it's 300b plus but good gods, anything beyond that is splitting hairs and it'd likely only peak out at 310b. Oh darn, you miss out on 10b on your isk killed total! Still only one kill in the ships column :smugbert:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

iospace posted:

It's a drat killmail. Yes it's 300b plus but good gods, anything beyond that is splitting hairs and it'd likely only peak out at 310b. Oh darn, you miss out on 10b on your isk killed total! Still only one kill in the ships column :smugbert:

aside from endie being stupefied at what manually generated means and realizing boy howdy did he say a dumb thing, the entire discussion around if the killmail was manually generated was all about if CCP's systems would be able to handle generating it at all

it doesn't appear they were, but CCP was on the ball enough to quickly fake it so the only people who really noticed were the people who were curious if the system would break or not

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

So what's gonna happen if I log in after not having been logged in for 2 years and 94 days? I have no idea where I am. Somewhere in null space. Wherever GoonWaffe was in May of 2014.

Am I going to died?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

evilweasel posted:

in the year 2016, endie, notable for his understanding of things like apis, has now also determined that "manually generated" killmail means someone used a pencil and paper, not that the killmail was generated outside the usual systems that make them, because that's just how computers work

Sorry to have to stress this for a third time but the line that has had him searching reddit for authoritative sources was "whether it was generated by the usual code or not, no way was it *manual*". "Manual: adjective:
done, operated, worked, etc., by the hand or hands rather than by an electrical or electronic device."

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
so yeah hi 5 thanks for backing me up buddy

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

kaempfer0080 posted:

So what's gonna happen if I log in after not having been logged in for 2 years and 94 days? I have no idea where I am. Somewhere in null space. Wherever GoonWaffe was in May of 2014.

Am I going to died?

That'll probably be Deklein, which we no longer own. Stuff as much of your stuff as possible into a subcap ship, then petition a GM for a one-time move to lowsec due to being in a hostile station.

If you have jump-capable capital ships, talk to folks in the appropriate SIG for that ship and they might be able to help you. The GMs won't move any ships with a jump drive.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That'll probably be Deklein, which we no longer own. Stuff as much of your stuff as possible into a subcap ship, then petition a GM for a one-time move to lowsec due to being in a hostile station.

If you have jump-capable capital ships, talk to folks in the appropriate SIG for that ship and they might be able to help you. The GMs won't move any ships with a jump drive.

If you have a supercap, boy howdy, don't log it in without help.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
On the upside, citadels mean that moving a super has not been this safe in many years, but yeah, getting it to the first citadel in your chain will require patience and help.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Endie posted:

Sorry to have to stress this for a third time but the line that has had him searching reddit for authoritative sources was "whether it was generated by the usual code or not, no way was it *manual*". "Manual: adjective:
done, operated, worked, etc., by the hand or hands rather than by an electrical or electronic device."

I think I just got Webster'd, but still misses the point. If CCP stats guy had to run a query, he was manually interacting with the information (typing and clicking mouse = manual action), rather than letting the electrical device (the software and servers) do their thing and create the killmail as per usual. Manual means there was human labor involved, which unless it was automatically generated by the system, there would have been. It doesn't mean

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I think I just got Webster'd, but still misses the point. If CCP stats guy had to run a query, he was manually interacting with the information (typing and clicking mouse = manual action), rather than letting the electrical device (the software and servers) do their thing and create the killmail as per usual. Manual means there was human labor involved, which unless it was automatically generated by the system, there would have been. It doesn't mean

Yeah, like I said, I would be unsurprised if one of the stats guys was waiting by with a sql query that was set to output in the correct killmail format. Given the furore in the past about missing kms for big events, this was a smart move and I think it speaks well of the improved responsiveness of Seagull's CCP (an unfashionable sentiment to propose here of all places, I accept).

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Neato, thanks. I probably just have a couple battleships so I don't think I'll have too many issues getting my poo poo out of there.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Wow, you sure showed him.

Wow, you sure showed me.

:v:

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

kaempfer0080 posted:

Neato, thanks. I probably just have a couple battleships so I don't think I'll have too many issues getting my poo poo out of there.

Bear in mind that the GMs will only move one ship, and you'll not be able to dock there so sneaking out a second BS will be a real challenge for a range of reasons.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Endie posted:

I didnt have to search anything bud, I knew at first glance that squizz manually shat it out with the arbitrary 300b value and no fittings

It was you who rushed to defend the integrity of your hard won pixel prize

Watching these mental gymnastics today is quite a sight though so do continue

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I mean mental in a neutral way so please dont get triggered

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Orange Red Bull posted:

I didnt have to search anything bud, I knew at first glance that squizz manually shat it out with the arbitrary 300b value and no fittings

It was you who rushed to defend the integrity of your hard won pixel prize

Watching these mental gymnastics today is quite a sight though so do continue

my apologies that this game is not as pure and beautiful as you desire

truly all life is but a sad spectre of what it should be

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Landsknecht posted:

my apologies that this game is not as pure and beautiful as you desire

truly all life is but a sad spectre of what it should be

mlyp

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

apology accepted

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Orange Red Bull posted:

apology accepted

~controlling your game~

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
At first I thought everyone genuinely apologizing and being self-reflective

then I remembered what thread it was :v:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

artisanal killmails

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Someone please start up a real conflict so we don't have pissing matches itt over how killmails are made.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

1v1 my titan at the sun

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Its a dumb argument over a dumb post about a dumb game. I was 100% poking fun at the killmail culture of the legion and Endie knew that, he just has this thing where he needs to be right even when hes wrong.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Someone please start up a real conflict so we don't have pissing matches itt over how killmails are made.

Hows the invasion of vale going

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Orange Red Bull posted:

Its a dumb argument over a dumb post about a dumb game. I was 100% poking fun at the killmail culture of the legion and Endie knew that, he just has this thing where he needs to be right even when hes wrong.

we have a killmail culture?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Syndic Thrass posted:

If this ever happens, rest assured I'll call in my renames on the Keepshart I bartered for. Let me tell you about how I'm basically Donald Trump and that was the best deal I ever made.

"D-W7F0 - Welcome back Angie :toot:"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

to continue discussing keepstars:

lol co2 is going to defend pl's keepstar

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Orange Red Bull posted:

Hows the invasion of vale going

I dunno

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

evilweasel posted:

co2 is going to defend pl's keepstar

:eyepop:

what madness is this

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Orange Red Bull posted:

:eyepop:

what madness is this

:a2m:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

that is 100% true and if you want to die laughing at how pathetic co2 is you probably should head to this keepstar battle

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

evilweasel posted:

that is 100% true and if you want to die laughing at how pathetic co2 is you probably should head to this keepstar battle

Wrong! Because the CFC disrespected them FIRST, it's not pathetic that they're licking the boot that kicked their teeth out.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
there is no way that is true, right? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

nex posted:

there is no way that is true, right? :psyduck:

No you see NCPL just invaded their space, took all their moons, kicked them out, destroyed their most valuable assett and infiltrated their leadership channels and posted the logs because they love and respect them.

How could CO2 not throw down to defend Honourable Legion.

• Locked thread