Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Lol at the part where the critic passive-aggressively rants at an image of George Lucas like it was Emmanuel Goldstein.

I mean Jesus, you think people might have gotten over Lucas already, but nope.

We will be over it when we can legally buy the original theatrical versions of the original trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lol at the part where the critic passive-aggressively rants at an image of George Lucas like it was Emmanuel Goldstein.

It's almost like it was an example of what he was talking about or something.

EDIT: Bravest, are you even able to control yourself when Star Wars or the DC Cinematic Universe comes up even in the slightest? Do you really need to come to defend their honor every single time they're mentioned?

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 13, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

It's almost like it was an example of what he was talking about or something.

Hahahaha, that's what you took away from my post? You didn't see anything weird in a passive-aggressive rant directed at George Lucas?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 13, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Bravest is right on that point because it really felt like jim being way too late to the star wars george lucas hate party, like he just found out and needed everybody to know but everybody else had moved on.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Bravest is right on that point because it really felt like jim being way too late to the star wars george lucas hate party, like he just found out and needed everybody to know but everybody else had moved on.

Yeah that's the weirdest part of it. It isn't even all that weird because it's like a minute out of the video and Lucas IS the prime example, though I feel like there are more recent examples that would fit better to be brought up, such as the recontextualizing of Bioshock Infinite after the second DLC and the addition of Aldia as an actual character in Scholar of the First Sin.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Yeah that's the weirdest part of it. It isn't even all that weird because it's like a minute out of the video and Lucas IS the prime example, though I feel like there are more recent examples that would fit better to be brought up, such as the recontextualizing of Bioshock Infinite after the second DLC and the addition of Aldia as an actual character in Scholar of the First Sin.

Did adding Aldia really change all that much? The dark souls games barely have a story in the first place, so it really just made some implied things about the background and setting into explicit things about the background and setting.

If you want to talk about the original work being compromised, would make more sense to talk about SotFS and its misguided attempts to make the game harder by just spraying the levels with a bunch of extra low-level hollows and not paying attention to balance or placement or environment or anything that makes encounters in that game fun to fight.

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 13, 2016

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Deport The Irish posted:

Did adding Aldia really change all that much? The dark souls games barely have a story in the first place, so it really just made some implied things about the background and setting into explicit things about the background and setting.

If you want to talk about the original work being compromised, would make more sense to talk about SotFS and its misguided attempts to make the game harder by just spraying the levels with a bunch of extra low-level hollows and not paying attention to balance or placement or environment or anything that makes encounters in that game fun to fight.

The Aldia point was more about adding to the base product in a way that changes that base product, not necessarily compromises it, which I think it does by giving more context to Aldia and also clarifying his position in the physical world. Before the Scholar patch and release, he had a huge footprint in the world but was no where to be seen.

The enemy placement changes were a mix of good and bad but you are right that they line up.

Another, less official example could also be the ways that the Unofficial Patch of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines rearranges placements like Fat Larry or some items.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah it's super weird that when he talks about how dumb it'd be if moviemakers just started loving with their films and changing poo poo/adding it in after the fact, he happened to bring up the one dude who has done so the most egregiously, and to perhaps the most loved film franchise of all time :jerkbag:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Some people on the internet are saying he committed sexual crimes against their childhoods. I mean, that's what I heard. Sounds pretty serious. Maybe he should be taken in for questioning. :shrug:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, reworking video games has gone back as far as Street Fighter 2 and it's endless re-releases and Turbo/Champion/Ultra editions, and really that's just the series that called attention to the differences, most video games of and after that era had a number of revisions even after release, 99.99% of which you'll never know about because they're mostly bugfixes and only very rarely do they change or remove content. OoT ver 1.0 having different fire temple music to ver 1.1 and on is one of those rare examples, and that was a '98 N64 game, well before patching was a thing.

gently caress, as I'm typing this out I just got a 1.5GB patch for GTAV, probably some more GTA Online stuff I dunno but hey, that game's been out for years and they're still patching and adding poo poo to it constantly. Games get patches, it's not that big a deal and it's something that we've seen for decades, and the only really interesting point he has is that it makes archiving games a bitch.

EDIT: I wasn't pointedly ignoring the conversation when I typed this but then I edited it and welp.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think it has to do with the "auteur-ness" of whichever piece of media you're looking at. Like video games are generally viewed more as commodified products for consumers than movies, even if the business practices of the film industry say otherwise.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cubey posted:

yeah it's super weird that when he talks about how dumb it'd be if moviemakers just started loving with their films and changing poo poo/adding it in after the fact, he happened to bring up the one dude who has done so the most egregiously, and to perhaps the most loved film franchise of all time :jerkbag:

Actually making passive-aggressive rants at effigies of authors years after their "offense" is weird.

The time to get mad at George Lucas was in 1977, when his movie Star Wars betrayed the far superior Hidden Fortress.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 13, 2016

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And it's not like movies don't have a million revisions as well, it's just that the final film release is much more "final."

Film also has the advantage of being a passive medium, so once the final cut is done you won't have a situation where somebody misses an important story beat because they fell through the floor, or were looking in the wrong direction, or skipped a cutscene, or missed an important quest that should have been unavoidable but dammit, someone found a way.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
You guys do get that the tangent was sort of done tongue-in-cheek too, right?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Deport The Irish posted:

Dark Souls 2 is about cycles. The events depicted in DS1 didn't happen once, but took place numerous times, civilisations rising and falling in each other's ashes to the point where some are built on top of the previous one. You free a man from stone in a prison cell and he claims to be from an ancient kingdom called Olaphis where what happened to Drangleic and Anor Londo happened before. He's literally the only person who mentions that place at all in the game if I recall.

So it keeps happening and seems to be inescapable.The DLC comes out and each one directly concerns yet more civilisations that rose and fell in the same manner, discovering something that allowed them to rise to power even as it destroyed them. All you can do is clean house, wreck all the remaining fools who survived the deaths of their respective worlds, and then hit the button that resets time and do it all over again for kicks. New Game + in these games is almost literally what happens in the story. Everything happens again and only the names and faces change. I kind of love the design of the Darksign, a frayed and burning circle that brands its victims and marks that civilisation's end times. It's the ultimate curse - mankind is doomed to keep making the same mistakes over and over.

Aldia is cool because they were inserted rather nonchalantly in an update. So you're on your second or third playthrough, you're lighting your final primal bonfire of that run, and bam, this horrible flaming tree-thing appears and starts talking about how no-one has ever 'come this far' - but you've literally come this far before, the game's been out for ages - it's referring to something else, another kind of progress. The progression that takes place with Aldia is, for players starting now, just another facet of the story that it's weird to consider wasn't there before, but I prefer the opposite perspective, that the Scholar is a bizarre intrusion into the original story that upends its direction. Aldia represents some kind of awareness that what you're labouring to achieve isn't enough, and won't fix anything, and the possibility that there's an alternative.

I always thought the good ending in Dark Souls 1 was to walk out at the end. It's not evil, but simply a rejection of a cycle that seems to promise progress but only results in the perpetuation of the same problems. Aldia is an improvement because you've literally continued the cycle without even the alternative of anything different a few times, and suddenly he turns up and poses rejecting the throne as an option. It's a neat trick that's kinda unique to gaming and the ability to patch games, and not one I think I've seen before.

The 'Scholar of the First Sin' edition of the game doesn't have any different story elements if I recall - the Aldia stuff was added to the original version of 2 as well. That version exists purely as a 'mario brothers 2' style harder version with silly romhack-level changes to the enemy placements. Ironically, if anything, it's a sequel to the non-scholar version of the story where everything repeats, only slightly differently.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

The DC universe just needs more attractive dudes/dudedettes.

Make Aquaman an Aquatwink.

BigRed0427 posted:

We will be over it when we can legally buy the original theatrical versions of the original trilogy.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode-IV-Limited/dp/B000FQJAIW

So I guess we should be over it now, since the original trilogy were released like this.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Archer666 posted:

So I guess we should be over it now, since the original trilogy were released like this.

those versions look like turd because they're non-anamorphic and look worse than the laserdisk.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Some people on the internet are saying he committed sexual crimes against their childhoods. I mean, that's what I heard. Sounds pretty serious. Maybe he should be taken in for questioning. :shrug:

You know I think Ghostbusters 2016 actually did ruin the original for me, because now the original can't come up without people making incredibly tedious attempts at ownage on the 2016 one

Within the day, someone will teleport into this thread to talk about how Milo was a false flag operation, because it's impossible to both dislike a movie AND acknowledge that there was a lot of sexism in the fan community's reaction to it. Red Letter Media told them so.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Trojan Kaiju posted:

He was specifically talking about a story being warped into a mess through constant revision though, not just changing.
Also Jim is a critic but he also likes to put jokes in his videos.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

He was specifically talking about a story being warped into a mess through constant revision though, not just changing.

So he's satirizing the kind of people who think like that?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's the CinemaSins defense!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So he's satirizing the kind of people who think like that?

no

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hbomb, did you give up on mocking alt-right weirdos now that reality is stranger than Youtube?

Also, I love your Fallout and Bloodborne videos (thesis's really) so cheers.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Archer666 posted:

Also, these are out of print and cost 50 bucks for one DVD that considered the lovely laser disk rips a bonus feature.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
You guys are probably putting a bit too much thought into a 1 minute side gag.

Here's a neat look into the early history of Doom 4's clusterfuck development instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6SBnccxMA

More studios should release footage of prototypes like this honestly.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Augus posted:

To be honest, I think that Jim just really has a lot of sexual hangups that he passes off as comedy. He's like the gamer comedy version of Witch Girl Adventures.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Spark That Bled posted:

To be honest, I think that Jim just really has a lot of sexual hangups that he passes off as comedy. He's like the gamer comedy version of Witch Girl Adventures.

Well, if you listen to the podcast as well he doesn't hide he is pansexual and into dudes. Big hairy dudes.

Just Pounding It.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWpKNfExRi4

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why in the toilet? Is this a British thing?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

I kind of want Disney to do this, if for no reason than it'd be the Star Wars version of the high-def TNG releases, in terms of actual audience (or lack thereof).

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

MiddleOne posted:

Hbomb, did you give up on mocking alt-right weirdos now that reality is stranger than Youtube?
never give up
never surrender

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

never give up
never surrender

:golfclap:

I think that might have been the best possible response.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hbomberguy posted:

never give up
never surrender

Die Hard prequel movie lookin good

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Honestly, reworking video games has gone back as far as Street Fighter 2 and it's endless re-releases and Turbo/Champion/Ultra editions, and really that's just the series that called attention to the differences, most video games of and after that era had a number of revisions even after release, 99.99% of which you'll never know about because they're mostly bugfixes and only very rarely do they change or remove content. OoT ver 1.0 having different fire temple music to ver 1.1 and on is one of those rare examples, and that was a '98 N64 game, well before patching was a thing.

gently caress, as I'm typing this out I just got a 1.5GB patch for GTAV, probably some more GTA Online stuff I dunno but hey, that game's been out for years and they're still patching and adding poo poo to it constantly. Games get patches, it's not that big a deal and it's something that we've seen for decades, and the only really interesting point he has is that it makes archiving games a bitch.

EDIT: I wasn't pointedly ignoring the conversation when I typed this but then I edited it and welp.

It actually goes back a lot further than that. Arcade games used to be patched all the time to remove bugs and such. It's very common to find an arcade game with several revisions of it's ROM.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Wheel of the Worst goes off the rails.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It actually goes back a lot further than that. Arcade games used to be patched all the time to remove bugs and such. It's very common to find an arcade game with several revisions of it's ROM.

Not just bug fixes, but added features too. Take a look at the Mortal Kombat II arcade game for example. More fatalities etc.
http://www.mksecrets.net/mk2/eng/mk2-arcade.php

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

BigRed0427 posted:

Well, if you listen to the podcast as well he doesn't hide he is pansexual and into dudes. Big hairy dudes.

Just Pounding It.

I mean even I could tell that Jim was really into himself.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, these are out of print and cost 50 bucks for one DVD that considered the lovely laser disk rips a bonus feature.

After George Lucas dies someone at Disney will "find" a pristine master print of the original that they can remaster, though I seem to recall there was a pretty drat good print of it floating around the internet.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

stillvisions posted:

After George Lucas dies someone at Disney will "find" a pristine master print of the original that they can remaster, though I seem to recall there was a pretty drat good print of it floating around the internet.

YEah, the Despecialized editions. Thats the work of I think one dude working off multiple commercial versions of the film. Its considered :filez: though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
people rarely talk about how hosed the colour grading and sound mixes are for the special editions, beyond just the lovely additions, the despecialised editions are practically essential

• Locked thread