Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Fast Luck posted:

big guy resurgence club.

Gobert
Boogie
KAT
Zing (he's 8 feet tall he counts)
DJ
Whiteside
Marc Gasol
Drummond
Horford
Adams
Turner
Etc etc etc

There really are a lot of great centers and could be great centers in the NBA right now. That's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The first "Russ for MVP" column of the season:

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/12/12/nba-awards-first-quarter-mvp-russell-westbrook-james-harden-kevin-durant

quote:

The Crossover's pick is Westbrook (31.1 PPG, 11 APG, 10.9 RPG), whose early work has been showered with praise thanks to a whopping 12 triple doubles in his first 24 games. From a pure stat-accumulation standpoint, Westbrook is up to something seriously special. The following chart shows the largest combined totals of points, rebounds and assists for All-NBA First Team selections during the three-point era. The top performers are clear-cut Hall of Famers at their absolute most productive: Michael Jordan, Moses Malone, Shaquille O’Neal, LeBron James and Larry Bird. As it stands right now, Westbrook dwarfs all of them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EvanTH posted:

"joe johnson is the clutchest motherfucker in the universe" is a common phrase round these parts

When he got bought out last year, I was hoping the Raps would sign him to give them some flexibility in the back court. Not only is he clutch, dude's a Raptor-killer (as he demonstrated in the Raps-Nets series).

DeRozan looking real good lately. I can't believe he's still making strides as a player, no wonder Kobe mentored this guy. If the Raps could rip someone off like the Kings and get one more star, I believe they'd be able to beat the Cave.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 13, 2016

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Terrence Ross is all the flexibility off the bench you need, baby.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Myles Turner is Bobby Portis. I said it now you can't forget it.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Shoutout to Jay-Z

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Jack's Flow posted:

Dragic's numbers are trending up again, which is cool, because I like his game. I wonder whether or not Miami will trade him this season.

They will 100 percent trade him if there are buyers.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How is Bebe formed?

Can't be killed, once started, endless multiplication ensues.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Strawberry Panda posted:

They will 100 percent trade him if there are buyers.

Right? That's what I'm thinking too. They gave Johnson that unexpected contract extension, now they gotta hand him some playing time. They're missing the playoffs anyway, so why not go for it.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
"Best Player On The Winningest Team = MVP" was a lovely, simple detente, a shortcut around the forever-war debate over who the best player/MVP should be and I am against moving away from that ceasefire agreement because I have personally witnessed the strife and conflict it engenders and I would not return to those dark days of flamewars and cruel innuendo

for the sake of online discussion everywhere Russ cannot be MVP this season :[

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

dokmo posted:

I will forever remember this as a comparison I did not understand !

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

EvanTH posted:

I will forever remember this as a comparison I did not understand !

Young mid-range shooting 4s with limited offensive ability who fans are inexplicably excited about?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I like reasonable player assessments and all but honestly if you say people are "inexplicably" excited about Myles Turner and comparing him to Bobby Portis maybe you need a nap.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KAT must be saved from thibs .

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

dokmo posted:

Young mid-range shooting 4s with limited offensive ability who fans are inexplicably excited about?

:catstare: both hypes are fully explicable although Turner's is based on his apparent basketball ability

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

roundmidnight posted:

I like reasonable player assessments and all but honestly if you say people are "inexplicably" excited about Myles Turner and comparing him to Bobby Portis maybe you need a nap.

Maybe you're right, but when I said last year Portis was totally mediocre nobody bought it because they were dazzled by something or other and not his play. So I'm making another prediction about Turner.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

Thank you! Guy looks so stiff in the post and on pick and rolls. He's got an ok shot but he's nothing compared to KAT or Zingis right now

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

dokmo posted:

This is dead on, except Turner is a 5 who has flashed legit range from deep, averages 2.3 blocks per game and has a 21 PER and 2.1 DBPM, whilst playing three times as many minutes as Portis.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nate Duncan's top 10 23 and under if I can remember it .spaces are tiers

Ad

Kat
Giannis

Zing
Embiid

Wiggins Jabari Simmons a guy I can't remember

Drummond ( but then he put turner in over Drummond )

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Doltos posted:

Thank you! Guy looks so stiff in the post and on pick and rolls. He's got an ok shot but he's nothing compared to KAT or Zingis right now

Guy Not as Good as Generational Players, Guy is Bad

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Ranking Drummond who is averaging 15 & 14 lower than a guy who has yet to play a minute of NBA basketball seems harsh.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are partially judging based on age and ceiling

Listen to the podcast it's good and relatively short.

Danny laroux had basically the same list except KAT in a tier above Zing and turner over Drummond.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

*lose is 5 games to the Cavs and every Raptors poster post for days on end about how no one gives Toronto any credit*

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

dokmo posted:

is this is like when Kanye said his first aggressively crazy thing

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

Yeah, I'm not seeing it. They don't play the same position for one, and Turner leads the league in Block %. Once the kid learns how to play defense he is gonna be great.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

nm

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Remember when Blazers fans and other morons were pumping Lillard for MVP after a week

yeah, well - we gotta have something.

This team isn't doing poo poo, and some dubs player will win it, regardless of whether they were the most valuable

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

euphronius posted:

They are partially judging based on age and ceiling

Listen to the podcast it's good and relatively short.

Danny laroux had basically the same list except KAT in a tier above Zing and turner over Drummond.

Drummond's rebounding is elite tier and is a 55% eFG shooter. He knows how to get position. Sure his free throws suck and that's probably why Turner is getting the nod, but I think Drummond and KAT are in the same tier as players you want to build around followed closely by Zing and Embiid.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Doltos posted:

Yeah his shot isn't as good as Porzingis, but for a big man that's like singling out a guard and saying their shooting motion isn't as good as Klay Thompson's - inevitably true but a bit unfair. It seems like it's reasonably effective and at the very least encourages defenders to guard him properly on the outside and not just sag back, which is half the battle really as a big man.

Pick and Roll man, at least one per game

Turner is a pretty decent roll man and they use him in it very often (4.4 times per game, fourth in the league). Of all the top usage guys he compares very favourably, with a better eFG% than Griffin, Aldridge, Marc Gasol, Cousins, Millsap, and even Anthony Davis. Interestingly he KAT and Porzingis are all essentially dead even around 55% eFG, which is a very impressive number for all three. Though Embiid is at 67% eFG which is really great.

Obviously scheme in how you initiate the PnR plus how skilled the ball handler is impacts this number quite a lot. Davis for example would probably have better efficiency in this stat if he hadn't been playing with D-League guards for most of the season. Griffin's poor numbers are odd, maybe DJ clogging the paint means he isn't as effective rolling as you would think he would be. KAT obviously has Rubio and just about the only thing Sergio Rodriguez can do at a high level in the NBA is run the PnR so he helps Embiid there. Maybe Jeff Teague is a sneaky a good PnR guy but I don't remember anyone mentioning it before.

Bobby Portis, 31% eFG on 1.3 possessions per game

Post ups, at least one per game

In the post you're right his numbers aren't so great, but then neither are Porzingis' and both are a fair way worse than KAT. Indy don't post up with him all that much though so they know this.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 13, 2016

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Myles Turner's instincts on the pnr are all wrong. He doesn't set good screens, he sets them in the wrong direction or at the wrong angle, he doesn't communicate with the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7--EoospVI

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

dokmo posted:

Myles Turner's instincts on the pnr are all wrong. He doesn't set good screens, he sets them in the wrong direction or at the wrong angle, he doesn't communicate with the ball.

Ah, Julius Randle Syndrome

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dokmo posted:

He's 20.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I get why he's not good, I'm wondering why people think he is good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fast Luck posted:

He's at least a year or two older than those other guys and also doesn't bring the same offensive potential to the table. that said when you look at the Jazz this season and Favors is hurt and George Hill keeps being out and Hayward has missed time but the Jazz are 15-10 and Gobert is the best defensive center in the game I do think he at least deserves membership in the next generation big guy resurgence club.
edit: Oh yeah and Rodney Hood isn't as important but he's hurt too

Yeah almost literally every important player except Gobert either is or has been hurt and they still have one of the best net ratings, largely because Gobert is a one man elite defense. He also has become a pretty loving great PnR big man.

The last two seasons have been really frustrating because you're constantly going "what if they were healthy??!!" and at some point you figure that it's just never gonna happen

dokmo posted:

I get why he's not good, I'm wondering why people think he is good.

He is good at other things and it's also more "he appears as though he will eventually be very good" rather than "he is currently an all star"

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 13, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/buddy-hield-pelicans-kobe-bryant/

"The Secret I Learned From Kobe" by Buddy Hield

I laughed when I read the title. Kobe's secret is to clang jumpers?

I also found this funny. Hield talking about Kobe texting him on draft day

quote:

First he said, What’s up? and then said congratulations. But the last thing he wrote to me is what I still think about.

“It doesn’t matter where you go,” he wrote. “It matters more what you do when you get there. Just go there and work.”

Said by proud Charlotte Hornets player Kobe Bryant.

It's a decent article, basically a "Myth of Kobe" piece, but those are always fun.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/buddy-hield-pelicans-kobe-bryant/

"The Secret I Learned From Kobe" by Buddy Hield

I laughed when I read the title. Kobe's secret is to clang jumpers?.

Well I mean...

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Raptors are 17-6 against teams that didn't blow a 3-1 lead in the finals last season.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No that was when dokmo said Papa John was a PNR machine like Brandan Wright with better defense. Or he was trolling me.

• Locked thread