Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh right, I forgot to share these with y'all: My pool fights from Helsinki Bolognese Open. I'm the guy in the white jacket. I get dunked. :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yDF1P85e2s

Also my one sword and buckler fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8HQyL6oKcM&t=390s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

drat, that's a small area to have to fight in. From fencing distance at the centre it seems you get at most two backwards steps before you hit the edge and presumably lose a point, this is getting into barroom brawl territory. Like, there's not really room to dodge out of distance of an attack, it's parry or die. The rest of my fencing instincts are trying to find ways to game the system, such as stop hits and counters after failed swings to the wrist or forearm all day, every day. I know it's not in the spirit of the game, but does anyone ever try this?

Also Uziel, if people say you're moving like a robot, just relax a bit and don't worry quite so much about, well, everything. I've had it suggested to me that it helps to, before a bout, pick just one thing you'd like to work on and keep it in the back of your mind as fence. It works a bit for me, anyway.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The scoring goes three points for the head, two for the shin and one for everything else. In case of a double hit, the lower score is deducted from the higher. So basically the person aiming at the head has the right of way. :v: Sniping the hands and forearms is a time-honoured tactic in this sort of fencing. Heck, it's in Manciolino's book from the 1530's. And yeah, the ring is pretty tiny. Now that you mention it, the footwork comes off a bit lazy because people just stand around out of distance.

In sportier news, tonight's the monthly club tournament day at the foil club and... Apparently December means single-hit foil? This'll either be cool and fun, or the absolute pits.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Does anyone else have problems with HEMA murdering your wrists?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

Oh right, I forgot to share these with y'all: My pool fights from Helsinki Bolognese Open. I'm the guy in the white jacket. I get dunked. :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yDF1P85e2s

Also my one sword and buckler fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8HQyL6oKcM&t=390s

I'm not a fan of HEMA judging, as it's usually horrendously inconsistent, but at least the judges mostly agreed on this one. I still don't get why they look down at the ground when signalling the score?

I also don't know if you were fishing for feedback, if not, here's a unsolicited comment :):
Watch your rear foot. You often end up with the rear foot trailing, leaving all the weight on the front and you are not able to move.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks, I'll have to keep an eye on that! I've not actually analyzed my matches at all, I've been pretty busy.

The judges look down so they don't get influenced by the others, since they need to figure out where both fencers hit. The judging actually got a bunch of flak at the event, since there were a number of rookies judging. I'm not super fond of the weighted scoring that's in vogue right now, I'd honestly prefer something simpler and easier to judge.

Guess I'm turning into a sports fencer, eh. :v:

Speaking of which, single-hit foil is a bit silly but still fun. Went 5-4 in the pools and then got immediately eliminated in the brackets. Pulled off some clean points so I'm happy. :toot:

DuckConference posted:

Try to get more movement from the arm and shoulder, and don't muscle the sword when you need to stop it. And maybe see a massage therapist. It might turn into carpal tunnel syndrome if you don't deal with it.

Edit: Also, long-armed, posting epee fencers are OP. :argh:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Siivola posted:

Edit: Also, long-armed, posting epee fencers are OP. :argh:

This, but also left handed, is me. :getin:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Solution: never fence epee

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

But what if they start fencing foil? :smith:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Siivola posted:

Priority helps mitigate some of the height advantage and almost nobody posts in foil. Can't help you with the lefties.

strangemusic posted:

This, but also left handed, is me. :getin:
:triggered:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Counterattacks and remises from tall foilists are a problem but are solvable (and the answers probably do apply to epee to some extent, too). Distance distance distance

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEuw8F8cpE&t=12s

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Siivola posted:

Get priority! My technique is very basic and standard but I won a bout last week against a taller counter-heavy guy like that. The solution? Beat if necessary and then march them down with my tip in the air, then level it with the final lunge (I can't actually flick but not everybody realises this and they often go for the wrong parry :ssh:). As dupersaurus said, though, distance is key. Are you doing something like stepping in for your attack with a bent arm, or ceding priority and trying to parry the counter?

Much like how relentlessly countering to the body/wrists in hema will still lose versus a guy swinging at your head (if I understood the rules correctly), their counter doesn't mean poo poo if they don't take your blade. Be aware of the distance they need to counter you, but once you have priority you should be fearless until you lose it.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 14, 2016

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Get priority! My technique is very basic and standard but I won a bout last week against a taller counter-heavy guy like that. The solution? Beat if necessary and then march them down with my tip in the air, then level it with the final lunge (I can't actually flick but not everybody realises this and they often go for the wrong parry :ssh:). As dupersaurus said, though, distance is key. Are you doing something like stepping in for your attack with a bent arm, or ceding priority and trying to parry the counter?

Much like how relentlessly countering to the body/wrists in hema will still lose versus a guy swinging at your head (if I understood the rules correctly), their counter doesn't mean poo poo if they don't take your blade. Be aware of the distance they need to counter you, but once you have priority you should be fearless until you lose it.

Trying to parry a well-timed counter is often futile (you're better off just finishing), your hand isn't a huge concern here, at least in foil. As you allude to, hiding your blade is a pretty decent idea since it can eliminate parries from your decision tree.

The important thing (that is to say, it's always important, but particularly against counters, and especially against tall counters) is to know the distance he wants. If you're facing a counter that you can't simply defeat, you have to make them show their hand early, then bury them. So control your footwork, put them under pressure with by varying your speed and distance (flirt with the danger area), to make it hard for them to judge the distance; the absolute worst thing you can do here is advance at the same, constant rate. Trick them to finish early, and you know exactly what distance you need, and if you need to take the blade. Or you slow them down with doubt, get them to give up your distance, and bury them.

Easy, right?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

This. This is why foil is so much fun.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

DuckConference posted:

Go down to alber. Is your pommel sticking through your forearms? If so, stop doing that. Wrist pain is usually an indicator of hyper extension. Make sure you're ending every cut in a position where your wrists are not "broken".

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

your friend a dog posted:

This (advice) kills the fencer.

Yeah, never say never. Stepping forward is great and good, but side steps and retreating are equally valuable. Not to mention some attacks (krumphau, schielhau(sp?)) necessitate stepping to the side.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

Easy, right?
Easy, yeah, that's the word I'd use.

Right now I think my problems #1 and #2 are falling short while attacking and getting chased down when retreating... Both of which kinda played right into Posting Epee Guy's hand. So guess I gotta get my distance distance distance on (and also learn better parries).

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Ugh haven't fenced consistently in a few weeks and I'm getting fat. Give me workout routines and motivation plz.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Uziel posted:

Hey! I ordered a Pavel Moc myself just last week (Type B), which is 57". His other offering is Type C which is 55".

I literally just graduated my Longsword 1 class today so take this with a grain of salt, but I think that at 5'8", I think those would be too long for you. There are "mini" Mocs, at 53", which might be the right size. How long are the synthetics you've been using? My club has a few mini Mocs that they are selling for $400.

Wanted to respond to this and let you know the Pavel Moc I purchased from your club exceeded expectations in every way. The blade length on the mini is perfect and the point speed is much quicker than some opinions have made it out to be, at least on this particular feder. I'm the type of person that almost always has some form of buyer's remorse on a sizable purchase but I haven't had an iota of it with this. Thanks!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

Ugh haven't fenced consistently in a few weeks and I'm getting fat. Give me workout routines and motivation plz.

Between travel and sick I haven't fenced at all in December, and workout has been inconsistent. Wednesday is going to suuuuuuuuuck.

When not around I try to keep up with our monday warmup routine, something to the effect of:
* 2x3min or 1x5min plank
* 1x2.5min reverse plank
* 1x2.5min broken table
* 5min wall sit over 3 sets (2-2-1 or 2.5-1.5-1)

Some extra spice of my own I throw in five sets of pick three from this list:

* 10 pushups (variation of choice)
* 50 do this with your arms, with weight (where the < > is hands meeting just above your head)

code:
|_o_| --> <o>
* 20 squats
* 10 stationary lunges (weighted)
* 20 russian twists
* 20 of those cunch things where your shoulders and legs are elevated, and you bring your chest and knees to each other
* any of the many variations of those themes

Feel free to pick whichever three you want, but I usually pick arm-leg-ab or arm/leg-ab-ab. Don't take a break between the members of a set, and keep the break between sets short.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Wanted to respond to this and let you know the Pavel Moc I purchased from your club exceeded expectations in every way. The blade length on the mini is perfect and the point speed is much quicker than some opinions have made it out to be, at least on this particular feder. I'm the type of person that almost always has some form of buyer's remorse on a sizable purchase but I haven't had an iota of it with this. Thanks!
That's so awesome, I'm glad to hear it, and thank you for letting me know. I am getting excited as my Moc Feder B is coming in like 2 months.

I actually got to fight with steel for the first time (and had to go up against our best fighters at full tournament speed/power the first day after graduating the intro class). My footwork is pretty bad and I apparently don't instinctively combo attacks.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nobody does.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Verisimilidude posted:

I feel you, man. I haven't been to practice since about October due to injury/work/holidays/weather, and it sucks. I basically just do 16 cut drills in my kitchen using a wooden spoon as a sword handle. :(

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Tell me about it, I started going to a local club that actually operates over this time of year and then the roof at the old hall where they held their trainings fell in. They have organised some sessions at an alternate venue, though, but that doesn't start for another week. I'm getting withdrawal here.
On the other hand, I just switched jobs and got a bunch of holiday pay from unused leave at my old one. Time to measure myself up for that sabre gear I'm missing...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Started the year off with the monthly foil club tournament. Foil's fun, reffing is fun and my parries are rubbish. :toot:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Rubbish how? I used to think that mine were a bit too subtle until I realised that it was actually a distance problem, and that stuff works just fine if I step back just a little more on the parry.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They don't work. :v:

I think the issue is that I try to do a million things at once. I'm simultaneously trying to retreat, find the opponent's blade and riposte, which ends with some combination of wild swinging, falling short on the riposte, and missing on a counterattack. Or my favourite, getting caught with my body squared and blade in the middle.

It's no big deal, I just have to get the stop-parry-riposte-retreat sequence in the correct order. And maybe fix my stance a bit, I'm slacking off with the profiling.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Focus on getting your feet always working before you get worried too much about actually parrying. Like Achmed said, most things that seem like parry problems are really distance problems in disguise. Having the best parry in the world means nothing if your feet stop working the moment you try to parry (ask me how I know). Let your feet do the work of denying them a good distance, trick them to attack at a bad time, then hit them with the parry-riposte.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yep, what dupersaurus said - sounds like a little footwork will fix your problem. Next session, for just one bout, go into it keeping one idea in the back of your mind: if you see an extended weapon coming towards you, take a good step (or two if you need it) back before even thinking about moving your hand. Let the rest of your fencing go more or less on autopilot, and try to give exactly zero shits about whether you win or lose, but make sure that you get out of range with your feet before having to rely on your arm to parry. There's a good drill for this if you can get a partner:

-Fencers A and B stand en garde, at a distance where either will just touch the other if one were to extend and take a step forward.
-Fencer A extends.
-Fencer A takes one step forwards. Fencer B takes one step backwards to maintain distance (i.e. not get hit).
-Fencer B parries quarte (or whatever, pick one parry and stick with it). Fencer A lets the parry happen.
-Fencer B extends.
-Fencer B takes one step forwards. Fencer A takes one step backwards to maintain distance (and also not get hit).
-Fencer A parries. Fencer B lets the parry happen.
-Fencer A extends, and the whole thing repeats.

The main things here are to make a point of taking the step back before going for the parry, and also to do everything in a relaxed and fluid fashion - start slowly and speed up gradually. You'll find you can be surprisingly effective even if your feet and arm are moving relatively slowly, so long as your parries aren't overblown and you don't hesitate between actions. Later on you can blur the lines a bit and shift your timing to try for the parry earlier, during rather than after the step back, but this will come naturally without you really needing to think about it.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you practice retreating while you parry, you won't have a problem when you come to it. Don't think of it as a retreat -> parry, just that retreating is part of the parry. Practice it, get it in your muscle memory, and it'll become so much easier.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Anyone going to Capitol Clash next weekend in DC? I just registered for the Open Longsword!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Tournament dayyyyyyy!

(Recovering from the Flu Edition)

Did mediocre in pools (2-5, 5-4, 5-4, 3-5, 4-5.) Could/should have won the 3-5 bout as it was against someone I've fenced a lot before, but I got sloppy and dumb. First round DE bout won 15-14 after finally figuring out that the guy I was fencing against had no idea what to do against beat attacks, when we had basically been double hitting each other for the previous twelve points or so trying to go clean to the body. This is what happens when lefties fight other lefties.

Made it to 2nd round of DEs where I got literally steamrolled by a guy who was just a wrecking machine of huge body mass and arm speed that I could do next to nothing about. I scored the first three points with decent stop hits, then he wised up and full bore bull/china shop fleched me three or four times in a row and I was just done for the rest of the bout. Ended up losing 6-15. Not too salty because the dude is a regional coach with like, ten times as much fencing experience as I have.

I beat the guy who would go on to win the tourney in one of my pool bouts, though. Pools continue to be a useful opportunity to throw crazyrandom new ideas at people and catch them by surprise. Finished 14th out of 30 fencers so not a bad day all told. Would have been nice to make top 8 but meh, the power of Tylenol Cold can only take a man so far.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 8, 2017

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Uziel posted:

Anyone going to Capitol Clash next weekend in DC? I just registered for the Open Longsword!

I'll be reffing it. The SYC (Super Regional Youth Circuit) tourney, that is. I missed last year's and didn't know that a HEMA component had been added.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

BirdOfPlay posted:

I'll be reffing it. The SYC (Super Regional Youth Circuit) tourney, that is. I missed last year's and didn't know that a HEMA component had been added.
Cool. If you see a big bald dude with a gigantic beard, that's me. Say hi. =P

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wait, so this is going to be a combined sport/hema event?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Uziel posted:

Cool. If you see a big bald dude with a gigantic beard, that's me. Say hi. =P
...At a HEMA event? You might need to be a bit more specific.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

He'll be the guy in black. :v:

And while I appreciate the advice, you guys have not seen how bad my parries are. I get that "panicked flailing" can be a distance problem, but right now I don't have a distance where I don't flail.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait, so this is going to be a combined sport/hema event?
Yep!
Fencing: http://capitolclash.org/
HEMA: http://dchema.com/

Ravenfood posted:

...At a HEMA event? You might need to be a bit more specific.
Hahaha, I have found my people. Yeah, I'll be the guy in black. Actually, I'm hoping to be decked out in some red but it depends on if the loaner gear is the Destroyer Modz stuff.
This is me: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15492195_1153287644726571_5828149831144643286_n.jpg?oh=668e6ffda6bcfc04d17d83ce8c625d69&oe=5923EB7A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...I'm sorry, which hotel is that? :v:

Me being fourteen aside, I'm kinda baffled by the scoring rules. Six points for a clean thrust to the head or torso when a cut to the hand is two, and half everything if there's a double hit and... How does anybody actually know how to ref this?